Files listed into Excel

Hi, Does anyone know how I can copy just the details from "My Music" files
into excel? Titles, lengths, albums etc.?          Thanks in advance for any
ideas for me.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tree

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR  Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type      DIR >MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.  This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:28:38 -0700, "Treeskier" <ttorgerson3@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hi, Does anyone know how I can copy just the details from "My Music" files
>into excel? Titles, lengths, albums etc.?          Thanks in advance for any
>ideas for me.

0
Gord
9/8/2004 8:30:37 PM
Thanks Gord,
I tried your first method listed but some of the stuff listed wasn't there!
I tried the PF 1.2 and wasn't clear on that. I downloaded Tushars because I
wanted to put this file into Excel but couldn't figure out how to do that
either.
Using one(?) of the other methods I was able to print directory to WordPad-
to Word and then into Excel but I lost some info somewhere in-between. Does
any of this make sense to you?
So I do have a print to directory in my file system but it limits me to
printing to my printer or WordPad rtf only?
Thanks for any additional support here.
                               Tim

> Tree
>
> Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.
>
> To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
> this KB Article.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&
>
> Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....
>
> http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
>
> I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.
>
> OR  Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
> Type      DIR >MYFILES.TXT
>
> All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.
>
> One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
> Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.  This allows filtering and
> sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>
> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>
> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:28:38 -0700, "Treeskier" <ttorgerson3@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi, Does anyone know how I can copy just the details from "My Music" files
>>into excel? Titles, lengths, albums etc.?          Thanks in advance for
>>any
>>ideas for me.

Tree

Don't know what you lost so can't speak to this easily.

What do you expect to see and what do you not see?

PF 1.2 is very straightforward.  You just pick a folder and run PF 1.2.  What
is it that is "not clear"?

With Tushar's add-in you also just pick a folder and go.

You download his add-in and place it in your Office\Libray folder.

With Excel oipen go to Tools>Add-ins and checkmark "Directory".

This places a menu item "TM" on your menubar.

Click on this and select the drop-down.

Follow your nose after that.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:59:38 -0700, "Treeskier" <ttorgerson3@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thanks Gord,
>I tried your first method listed but some of the stuff listed wasn't there!
>I tried the PF 1.2 and wasn't clear on that. I downloaded Tushars because I
>wanted to put this file into Excel but couldn't figure out how to do that
>either.
>Using one(?) of the other methods I was able to print directory to WordPad-
>to Word and then into Excel but I lost some info somewhere in-between. Does
>any of this make sense to you?
>So I do have a print to directory in my file system but it limits me to
>printing to my printer or WordPad rtf only?
>Thanks for any additional support here.
>                               Tim
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Tree
>>
>> Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.
>>
>> To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
>> this KB Article.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q272623&
>>
>> Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....
>>
>> http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
>>
>> I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.
>>
>> OR  Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
>> Type      DIR >MYFILES.TXT
>>
>> All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Excel.
>>
>> One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
>> Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.  This allows filtering and
>> sorting once you have the data in Excel.
>>
>> http://www.tushar-mehta.com/  scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.
>>
>> Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.
>>
>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:28:38 -0700, "Treeskier" <ttorgerson3@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, Does anyone know how I can copy just the details from "My Music" files
>>>into excel? Titles, lengths, albums etc.?          Thanks in advance for
>>>any
>>>ideas for me.

0
Gord
9/9/2004 9:32:41 PM
Okay Gord, I did get Tushar's to work with Excel. But the problem I'm having
is that all the information in "My Music" folder is not getting transferred
into Excel. The "My Music" folder has file details for:     Name / Size /
Duration / Bit Rate / Date Created / Date Modified / Album Title etc.
The only details that are getting transferred are Name / Size / Date Created
I'm sorry I didn't post that information correctly to you...that is what I
was speaking of about "some of the stuff listed wasn't there".
Why won't this program transfer all the details that are on screen?
I'm 50 years old and wasn't born to the computer generation but I think I'm
doing okay so far? :)
Thanks Gord

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8