File Format is not valid

I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some
reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all the
way back into November but get the same error:

File Format is not valid

We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
help.

0
mannyg (9)
11/12/2003 10:19:34 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try to open in a different version of excel like xl2002

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some
> reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all the
> way back into November but get the same error:
>
> File Format is not valid
>
> We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
> help.

0
Don
11/12/2003 10:31:54 PM
Patriot,

If you're not using XLXP (2002), you may find it can fix it.  Sun's Star
Office is said to be able to read damaged files too.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some
> reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all the
> way back into November but get the same error:
>
> File Format is not valid
>
> We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
> help.

0
nowhere8060 (363)
11/12/2003 10:34:17 PM
Try to open it in Word, if you can do that you have a big problem unless you
can copy and paste.
What could have happened is that if somebody opened it in word, upon closing
it you get prompted to save, and if you do you save it in word format you
can not use it in excel anymore.. Otherwise try to open it in Excel 2002
onwards, they can sometimes open corrupt workbooks

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for some
> reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all the
> way back into November but get the same error:
>
> File Format is not valid
>
> We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
> help.

0
terre08 (1112)
11/12/2003 10:37:52 PM
I have tried but still can not open it.

"Don Guillett" <donaldb@281.com> wrote in message
> try to open in a different version of excel like xl2002
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> SalesAid Software
> donaldb@281.com
> "Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for
some
> > reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all
the
> > way back into November but get the same error:
> >
> > File Format is not valid
> >
> > We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
> > help.

0
mannyg (9)
11/12/2003 10:46:14 PM
Thank you...we got it. What I did was rename the file from a .xls extension
to .doc and it opened right up.

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvp.org> wrote in message
> Try to open it in Word, if you can do that you have a big problem unless
you
> can copy and paste.
> What could have happened is that if somebody opened it in word, upon
closing
> it you get prompted to save, and if you do you save it in word format you
> can not use it in excel anymore.. Otherwise try to open it in Excel 2002
> onwards, they can sometimes open corrupt workbooks
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "Patriot" <mannyg@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I have an Excel SpreadSheet that was created last November which for
some
> > reason we can no longer open. I have tried to restore from backup all
the
> > way back into November but get the same error:
> >
> > File Format is not valid
> >
> > We had been able to get into the file up until recently. Thanks for the
> > help.

0
mannyg (9)

Problems when saving worksheet into tab-delimited text file
I save a spreadsheet into a tab-delimited text file for later import into an Access database. One column contains text strings in which "comma values" can be found. Once save to the text file, those records that have commas in the Excel cells now contain double quotes (".....") at the beginning and end of the text string. As a result, during the data import into Access (and later comparison), the records are considered new and add records to tables. During testing procedures, I realized that replacing the comma with a semicolon would not add the double quotes when savin...

Problems saving Excel & MS Office 2000 files.
We are seeing issues when saving files to user directory on a windows 2000 server. The users are all using Windows 2000 pro systems & Office 2000 Pro. The original files will disappear & a new file with a random 8 character name will appear in their directory. The file will have no security permissions associated with it. It is not happening all of the time, just random. The servers are all Dell 1500sc or 1600sc w/1.2 gig of ram and 60 gig of hd space on the shared directory. The servers are also acting as a print server as well as running Norton Anti-Virus Corp Edition...

Permanently wipe all traces of a file
could someone recommend good utiluty to permanently erase files, i.e. that deletes the file, then wipes and removes the data left over. Thank you. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00ED_01CAA641.35CA0EC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="koi8-r" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable "amber" <amber@nospam.microsoft.news> wrote in message = news:%23rsCNnlpKHA.5224@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > could someone recommend good utiluty to permanently erase files, i.e. = that=20 > deletes the file, then wipes an...

email letters from Great Plains Vendor/Customer/Employee Files
We would like to see the option of when printing a Letter created in the Great Plains Letter Writer system, when "sending" the email, the system be programmed to pick up the email address ont he default Primary Address field, inputting it into the emaila ddress field in Outlook. Rob Gillespie, CAE Premier Computing Technologies What default email address? The "email address" field you see in the Inet Info window is just a user defined label. Technically the only email address that I can think of in great plains that IS an email address is the email addresses for the...

Import external data-text files but placed in the next column rather than next empty row
I want to import text files in to one worksheet. The text files are sent daily and all the same format. However the text file names change buy an incremental number. Is it possible to create a macro that imports these text files, ignoring their exact filename but from the same source directory into one worksheet. Can you use wild cards for the name e.g. "********.txt"? At the moment I can manually do this, by selecting the cell below the last record then using the process "Get external Data" and following the wizard which works fine. As soon as I try to create a m...

Date format Workbooks Open
I have an application which saves the output to .xls format. If I open the file from Excel, I get the Text Import Wizard. There is a date/time column in format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm However, If I use Application.Workbooks.Open to open the file, the date/time column is in format dd/mm/yy hh:mm ie the yyyy is shortened to 2 digits. Manually clicking into a cell and pressing enter updates the cell, as does Text to Columns. I have recorded some code to use Data>Text to Columns, but running the code does nothing. If the dates are in column L, the code is as follows: ...

Excel 97 Validation
I have cell formatted for percent and would like to validate the same cell to enter a whole number between 1 and 100. I want an input to be in whole numbers with the operand and displayed as 85%. The problem is entering a value of 85 yields 8500% due to the format of the operand. I am also using this cell in a formula in another cell. I then changed the validation to decimal between .01 and 1. This works fine except now the input has to be .85 for 85% (Although I discovered it works fine if you do not go out the range at first. You can repeatedly enter whole numbers until a number is ent...

New Window format
What a nightmare! My company does not have an employee for each work screen. We all wear multiple work hats here. If you open enough screens to do your routing, everyday, multiple jobs - the system basically just stops working. You have to log out of each and every one of the routing, everyday, multiple job work screens - select only one, and then it is possible to print. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" bu...

Opening file from the internet
Hi, I have an app that has a registered document type with windows. When I click a link to a document of this type on a web page and choose "open" Windows downloads the file and starts up my app. The file that it gives me is in a temporary directory, and I can see the file if a navigate to it through a console window, but I can't open the file in my application using fopen() or with CArchive. It is as though the document doesn't exist or I don't have permission to open it. Can anyone help... Cheers David David, > I have an app that has a registered document ...

custom Number format #11
I want to create a custom number format, that add twoalpha characters (the same two - AA) to the beginning of each number. The help feature of Excel really does not explain this very well. Thanks in advance never mind - duh! "bolo" <nospam_cadotonic@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:Li9si.1839$Ug2.130@bignews4.bellsouth.net... >I want to create a custom number format, that add twoalpha characters (the >same two - AA) to the beginning of each number. The help feature of Excel >really does not explain this very well. > > Thanks in advance > > ...

Suddenly can't access my Money file
Suddenly, my Money file won't open. Tells me my password is wrong, but I know it isn't (tried all the usual checks re case, etc.). Any clues why this might be? Problem was concurrent with my installing Bit Defender antivirus program, which slowed down machine considerably (more memory on order...). Thanks in advance. <carolannedwyer@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2b16d09b-9ff7-42b0-b6c3-b87e28080c95@l37g2000vba.googlegroups.com... > Suddenly, my Money file won't open. Tells me my password is wrong, but > I know it isn't (tried all the usual checks re case, e...

Help!! My ICS/Firewall files are missing.. PLEASE HELP!!
Hello, I recently had a virus attack and cleaned everything off.. I have Avast virus software. I noticed that when i restarted my computer that my firewall was turned off.. So i went into the settings and tried to turn it back on but instead i got this message: "Windows Could not open the Firewall/ICs settings beause the associated service is not running". I clicked start on the serivces pane and i got another message saying "error 2 file not found". Now could this of happened when Avast deleted the infected files?? if so how can i get it back?? Please respond ASAP...

trace files
Does anyone know how to block trace files from comming in through Outlook or Internet explorer? Thanks, C- ...

Spreadsheet (version 1).xls: file format is not valid
My question was not posted from Tuesday, March 30, 2010, so I am asking again. Windows 7, excel 2007, while spreadsheet open, not necessarily in the middle of editing, arbitrarily goes to recovering the spreadsheet, then document recovery comes up on the left and the message as in the subject line appears. A converter was added about a week ago, that has been removed, but still having the issue. Please help. ...

Need help with data validation format
I'm trying to make this format mandatory when someone enters his/her data in a cell. The format would be this : "### ###". Therefor, if the worksheet user doesn't enter a chain like this one : "113 244", the data just won't enter. And yes, the space beetween the 3 first and last numbers has to be there. I can't seem to find anything in the Data / Validation menu that enables me to do this :confused:. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~...

Help files with Visual Studio 7?
Can someone help. It's been a little while since I did some programming. Since then I upgraded my Windows XP to SP2. This is the only difference I can imagine since the last time of using VS7. On my reinstall of Visual Studio, I don't get any thing when trying to bring up the help files and samples. Every thing returns "No Links are available for the current selection". Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input. -- L. James ------------- L. D. James ljames@apollo3.com...

Changing "Formats" on "System Settings" has no effect....
I'm having a really hard time changing the way that dates are displayed on forms. I've gone to "Administration", "System Settings" and "Formats" tab, and selected "English (United Kingdom)" According to this the Short Date should show as "05/02/2009". However, on all the forms that show dates this is "02/05/2009" Thoughts? Thanks Edward Hi, On top of what you've already done, you'll also have to do the following: Tools -> Options -> Formats Tab -> English (United Kingdom). Send a quick email to all ...

Files Do Not Open
Hi, Using Office X and am able to open the individual programs, but when I go to select a file to open, they are all greyed out and unable to double click on any of them. Everything was working fine until recently. I'm not sure if this installation was a trial version that expired. Has anyone else seen this? I've emailed the same files to other mac with same version of Office and it opens up fine. On 7/11/07 7:04 AM, in article 1184162654.936039.211630@m3g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "matgeorge@gmail.com" <matgeorge@gmail.com> wrote: > Using Office X and am able...

Format Control of Spinner
I would like to have the incremental change be .01 - is this possible -- ldebond ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ldebondt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56346 Nope. Suggest you just divide its value by 100 for further calculations. HTH. Best wishes Harald "ldebondt" <ldebondt.2b9fa5_1153425608.5183@excelforum-nospam.com> skrev i melding news:ldebondt.2b9fa5_1153425608.5183@excelforum-nospam.com... > > I would...

Unable to open a Money 2001 file
Hello I have a Money 2001 files that I cannot open anymore after reinstalling. The error message is : � your file contains coded informations, it cannot be opened with this version of money � (This a translation from french). I am SURE this file was created with the same version of money that I reinstalled. If I look on the Microsoft website for this error message, the knowledge database says that I have to find the EXACT same regional settings that I had defined when this money file was created.. And I have no way of remembering this - I just know for sure they were tweaked.. I call...

Conditional Formatting #6
Hi I would like to make a range of cells within a column turn green whe certain conditions are met. The user will enter "I or "M" in each cell. If certain cells contai I's and certain cells contain M's then all of these cells turn green. Grateful for any assisstance. :confused -- ANDYPAN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ANDYPAND's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2535 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39014 Use a different column to check whether the co...

displaying international format phone numbers
OL 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Follow-up to: microsoft.public.outlook.contacts Hi, I have a folder with hundreds of contacts. All telephone numbers display as +12129999999 I would like to have them all display as +1 (212) 999-9999 It does automatically change to that if I manually open the contact and click on the little pencil icon to the right of the phone number field. However, I can't really do this manually for hundred's of contacts. How can I automate this? Thanks a lot. ...

Using Multiple Outlook Files
I currently have 7 Outlook pst files on my computer, but there are only two valid ones. Somehow I have managed to duplicate files along the way over the years. Several of them are BAK backup files. I would like to open all of them one by one to see which ones are which. Then I want to remove all the duplicates and only have two files, one work and one personal. How do I do it without losing data? I tried using file database manager, but haven't been able to figure out what's going on, because no matter which of the file list I open it has the same data as the previous one. Help! ...

How to save word file in PDF format
How to save a WORD file in PDF format ...

How to creat Organization from Excel file with alone picture file?
Dear All, We plan to create Organization Chart, and we hope all employees pictures are alone picture file, and they are saved in hard disk individually, and the file name is employee ID. The Excel file is like below. 0001 AAA D:\0001.jpg 0002 BBB D:\0002.jpg 0003 CCC D:\0003.jpg how can we create organization chart from this Excel file and show all pictures? Thanks in advance. ...