File format is invalid

I have a file that I update and save daily.  yesterday when I went t
open it I got the following message: File Format Not Valid.  This pop
up in middle of the screen.  the only option it gives me is a butto
that says OK.  I have tried to recover an old version of the file usin
the windows recovery tool but I keep this file on an external driv
which it does not recover.  Any help with how to get this file bac
would be greatly appreciated.

Pau

--
pserra
pserra2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3264

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I am having this exact same problem. - Did you solve it, or does anyone know
of a tool anywhere that might work? There is only one file affected. I think
my siutation my be complicated by the fact that the workbook is password
protected.
Thanks

"pserra2" wrote:

> I have a file that I update and save daily.  yesterday when I went to
> open it I got the following message: File Format Not Valid.  This pops
> up in middle of the screen.  the only option it gives me is a button
> that says OK.  I have tried to recover an old version of the file using
> the windows recovery tool but I keep this file on an external drive
> which it does not recover.  Any help with how to get this file back
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul
>

> --
> pserra2
> pserra2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32648
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=524519

I got the same message when I tried to manually open a file saved by
autorecovery. Autorecovery saved the file as a .xar file, but Excel didn't
offer to open it when it restarted. I tried renaming the .xar to .xls, but
that didn't work. I can see the data by opening the file in Word, using the
Recover Text From Any File conversion, but only the textual data is easily
recognizable. You may be able to figure out how the data is organized by
creating a simple Excel file that you then open using Word. It appears that
each cell value is a paragraph in Word.

"pserra2" wrote:

> I have a file that I update and save daily.  yesterday when I went to
> open it I got the following message: File Format Not Valid.  This pops
> up in middle of the screen.  the only option it gives me is a button
> that says OK.  I have tried to recover an old version of the file using
> the windows recovery tool but I keep this file on an external drive
> which it does not recover.  Any help with how to get this file back
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Paul
>

> --
> pserra2
> pserra2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32648
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=524519

0
DeanC1 (1)

Converting files to Adobe PDF, or Printing to Adobe PDF.
Access 2003, Adobe Professional 7.0.9 (most current updates, also reinstalled).When I try to convert certain reports to adobe pdf, I get an error message that simply says: Adobe PDF printer failed to create the PDF file. No way of diagnosing that one... when I Print to PDF, I get a notepad output file that states the below pasted text. I will try updating my access, but I can convert &/or print all my other reports to pdf, just not certian ones. I am wondering if I need to change settings on a certain field, but for the life of me, I cannot diagnose what is failing to PDF on this one r...

Opening old Publisher files
I have many Publisher 97 files created on an old computer. When I purchased o new XP machine I loaded the same 97 Publisher program, but it will not open the files. I run a small business using this letterhead, etc. Suggestions? Hi suggest you post in a publisher newsgroup - they'll probably be able to help more microsoft.public.publisher in addition to the information provided to us you might also like to let them know if you can create NEW publisher files with Publisher 97 on the XP machine? Cheers JulieD "RKlug" <RKlug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

changing the format of dates
I store dates in my database in a field with yymmdd as the format. Is it possible to then have a seperate column that displays the month of the entry as the 3 letter designator for the month? For example if the date column reads 071121, can the next column read "NOV"? thanks for the help ben -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com If you are storing dates as 6 digits (yymmdd) in a *Text* field, create a query and type an expression like this into the Field row: TheMonth: Format(DateSerial(Left([d],2), Mid([d],3,2), Right([d],2)), "MMM") Replace the [d]...

MnyBank : Ofc Ofx file conversion and Money import (V1.5.16)
Version 1.5.16 : - Can save data into Excel Xml files (File/Save As) - Setting wizard in french and english - New link : http://ferraroa.dyndns.org:8200/MnyBank/bin/MnyBank.zip Version 1.5.12 : english help file and documentation (except wizard and introduction to financial files) Money 2005 do not accept any more Ofc files and the Ofx files delivered by my bank where invalid. So I write this program, it can be use to : - view QIF, OFC and OFX files - convert QIF, OFC files to OFX V1 (Money 2000->Money 2004), OFX V2 (Money 2005, XML files) or Excel Xml files - convert OFX V2 files ...

NK2 files into Outlook 07
Hi I'm trying to get a users NK2 file from Outlook 03 into his new Outlook 07. I have found the location of the file in Outlook 07 but when I move the file into this it still does not pick it up and use it. Any ideas anyone?? Many Thanks Have you named it the same as the Outlook mail profile? Sometimes the nk2-file has become orphaned and (especially across versions) it just won't work. In that case, just let the cache rebuild over time with usage of Outlook. To directly fill the cache with your contacts see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/216 -- Robert Sp...

Original Report format
We are about to upgrade our GP system to 9.0. Some of the reports/forms were modified before and the person in charge no longer with our company. We would like to compare the default GP reports/forms with our current reports/forms so as to determine if it is necessary to convert those modified reports/forms. Is there any way to get the original reports/forms just for comparison? Thanks Couple of ways to do this: 1) Create a new user and do not give them security tot he modified reports. Run the same reports and compare. 2) Change an existing users security so they no longer have se...

text format to date format
I have 2 question: 1. I export data from excel 4.0 to Access 2003, in Excel my data have text format, I want change data to date format... example my data in excel like this 2009-11-23-08.25.24 I want change to date format 23-11-2009 08:25:24 2. I have data like this CPN09003947-1-1-CPN31000006 and I want take that data until after "-", but some time count of data is different example HSJA22160061-1-1-SJA20900332 please help me,,, what can I do???? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-queries/201004/1 ...

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

cannot open input file "libeay32.lib"
How can I remove "libeay32.lib" from my project? I don't need it. I'm using VC++ 6. LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "libeay32.lib" Project Settings->Link (tab) -> Category = Input remove unwanted libraries from there. -- Elias http://lgwm.org/ "Oliver Young" <please@no.spam.com> wrote in message news:%23nxqeSRfDHA.2348@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > How can I remove "libeay32.lib" from my project? I don't need it. I'm using VC++ 6. > > LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input fi...

Can I prevent Excel converting to date format?
I was wondering if there was a setting or any way to prevent Excel from converting certain numbers to dates. e.g. 11/7 will be converted automatically to 11/07/2005. This appears as 11-Jul in the cell. This problem also happens with 11-7. This is very annoying because it would appear that there is actually no way of having two numbers (which happen to be low enough numbers to be dates) separated by a forward slash or a hyphen. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet? If you're typing these values into the cell, you can either prefix them with a leading apostrophe: '11/7 ...

Printing Merge files
I am running Publisher in Office 2000 Premium. I have an address merge file. I've added addresses to it and only want to print off the new addresses. I've inserted a field with the #1 in it to the new address. How do I get just those new address to print onto labels? I've tried filtering but can't seem to get just the new addresses to print. Help! ...

Money 2001 grabs my qif files
My bank allows me to download statements by pressing a button labelled 'export'. When I do this a dialog box pops up telling me that the statement has been grabbed by Money and asking whether I would like to start money there and then. Nice feature, buthow do you turn it off? (I don't use money anymore) cheers, Charlie Uninstall Money might be a good start, as that may drop the file association. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Micro...

Category axis formatting and justification
I have been scouring the net looking for information on how to change the way a category x-axis is aligned relative to a data point. I would like to have the category tick mark in line with the data point. Excell seems to default to centering the category under the data point. Below is an example of what I'm trying to do: x - data point *- Category tick mark/line Excel default: **************** x Category A **************** x Category B **************** Requested format: x ****************** Category A x ****************** Category B ******************** ...

typing in a ratio without it 'auto' formatting
I am using Excel and want to type in a ratio eg, 1:14 and when I do it automatically changes it to some other number. Also, when I want to type in say, 2/7 it automatically changes it to 2nd of February or similar. If I type 1:2 as a ratio it changes it to 1:02! (as in the time!) I have tried to find where I turn off the auto features but I have not had much success Can anyone help? ~*~Chris~*~ Try formatting the cell(s) as text ? Format > Cell > Text > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 -- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com --- "Chrislovespugs" ...

File not saving
I am trying to save another (differently named) version of my file whenever I save. It works fine if I use the normal save, but if the save is triggered from the Before_Close event, it just skips over the following line... ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=CurrPath & "\" & CurrName in debug, it finds the line (it goes yellow), it doesn't generate any errors, but it steps through the line without doing any saving The CurrPath and CurrName variables do contain valid text Why is it not saving? thanks M Try Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClo...

insert flash file
Hi this is Rajasekar Chandramohan from India. I would like to know how to insert a executable file (eg. Flash files) to an excel files. I had seen lots of excel files with some games etc. How come is it possible? hi, that is because excel is programable using the computer language visual basic. as far as inserting a "flash file", unless it is in vb and designed for spreadsheets, i doubt it would work. but in excel, press alt+F11. this will bring up the vb editor. here you can write, paste or import code. regards. FSt1 "Rajasekar Chandramohan" wrote: > Hi this is R...

File Maintenance on Contracts?
We are on GP version 9 sp 2. using the FieldService Contract module. Is there a file maintenance routine for Contracts or Field Service? I need to find a way to remove some old contracts that are corrupted. We have several old contracts that show up on the Transactions-Contract Administration-Contract Billing screen. If you try to invoice them GP hangs. We have tried letting it run for over a weekend but it just won't process and keeps showing in the billing screen. Thanks, David Try the following to remove contract history. You can maintain history records for any contract docu...

Cannot open 2007 Publisher file.
I have the publisher file that is giving me the following message whenever I open it. "Publisher has detected a problem in the file your are trying to open. If you are certain that this file came from a trusted source and does not contain harmful information, click OK. If you recevied this file from another machine or person and are not sure the contents are safe, click Cancel." If I click OK the file opens and nothings is wrong with it. If I save it with a different name it still gives the same message. This file was created on my network and was fine during creation. T...

unable to move files into personal folder from server Outlook 2003
With outlook 2000 every time my personal PST would get close to the 2 GB limit it would become corrupt. I would then have to run detect and repair also scanpst to recover. About three week ago I installed outlook 2003 on my system. I was told that the personal PST file could be larger. I am just about at the 2 GB mark and I am now unable to move files into my personal PST. When I installed outlook 2003 I choose the upgrade option, then I configured outlook to use one of my personal PST files from outlook 2000. I also notice that in outlook 2003 under File Import and export Import from...

Date Formatting 05-27-10
I receive data everyday with the dates in the following format - 1/12/2025 (dd/mm/year), however I'm trying to format it to the following format- 01-Dec-25. The option is available under formatting, but the majority of the dates in the column I select don't format properly. I can't figure why this happens... Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how to format so the entire column formats? Tommy, These rogue dates that won't format may be text that look like dates. If we have one of these in A1 try this formula =isnumber(a1) which should evaluate as TR...

How do I import files from earthlink to outlook (not express)
I have just opened an email account with Road Runner, so I need to import my addresses and messages into outlook (not outlook express). I exported my files to my desktop. But now I can't import into Outlook. HELP What format are the files on your desktop? "Giver" <Giver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:268B3E27-CEF6-4F65-9BF2-CD197DF2C2C2@microsoft.com... >I have just opened an email account with Road Runner, so I need to import >my > addresses and messages into outlook (not outlook express). I exported my > files to my desktop. But no...

Money 2005 *.surfplace files
Just upgraded Money 2004 to Money 2005. Every time I use Money 2005 I get dialog boxes asking if I want to "open" or "save" numerous "*.surfplace" files. Never happened in the previous version and this is annoying. Can anyone help with this? Thanks! ...

convert from excel xmlmap export format to dataset?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C62112.21A72D50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi - I'm fairly new to manipulating xml and I have an excel workbook and = on one of the sheets is apparently a listobject... using it's = xmlmap.export function I get an xml file that looks like this (truncated = of course, you get the idea): <?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"UTF-8" standalone=3D"yes"?> <ns1:TransactionDetails xmlns:ns1=3D"urn:Microso...

Re: Report.config has invalid schema
I instsalled CRM and was testing it. eVerything seem to be working alright except that I get a "report.config has invalid schema" error when I tried to click on report. When I click on calendar, I get an unexpected error. OS is Windows Server 2003 R2 and running SQL server 2005. The Web server is running on ASP.NET 2.0 Any ideas? Thanks! OD Hi, you might want to refer to chapter 15-6 of Implementation Guide. If you are using Microsoft SQL Server 2005, after you install Microsoft CRM, you will need to change the Microsoft CRM Web site to use ASP.NET version 1.1. Microsoft SQL ...

style and formatting won't save
I'm having problems with new text styles not saving in Pub2002. I make or change the style I want, save it, save the document and everything looks good until I open the document the next time. It reverts, usually to the "based on style" format in the "change style" edit window. Any suggestions? In news:1af6201c44f35$c13f2b20$a401280a@phx.gbl, karen <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted: > I'm having problems with new text styles not saving in > Pub2002. I make or change the style I want, save it, save > the document and everything loo...