File Error: data may have been lost #2

or message "File Error: data may have been lost."

Details:

I've been using the same spreadsheet for around a year. I saved it one even=
ing and next morning when I tried to open it, I got the message:

   File Error: data may have been lost

Most of what I read on the internet had either to do with writing to an Exc=
el sheet using a programming language (which I have not done in this case) =
or with upgrades. I rarely if ever download or install upgrades because it'=
s a hassle. However, since I was really stuck, I followed instructions/sugg=
estions I'd read and spent nearly all day downloading over 70 "important" W=
indows upgrades, which I guess includes MS Office upgrades. This did not wo=
rk. After all the upgrades, the problem was the same.

The solution: it turned out that I had been using the undocumented DATEDIF =
function. I used it because it's superior for what I need to do. Somehow an=
 Excel upgrade happened without my knowing it, and the current version of E=
xcel appears to no longer support the DATEDIF function.

Replacing all the usages of/calls to DATEDIF fixed the problem. This sucked=
; DATEDIF was (when it worked) much more powerful and cleaner to use. But t=
he new version of the code works fine.

FYI
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

File size #11