Expanding column count

In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first save
the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another way
to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?

0
mazorj
12/15/2009 3:58:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You'll have to delete a column between your "real" data and the last column.
Then insert a new column.

Is there a reason you're using the last column?  Maybe you could move that to
column A.  If you don't like seeing the stuff in that column, you could hide
column A, too.

--

Dave Peterson
0

This cannot be changed..................no more columns can be added to a
sheet or columns inserted if you have data in column IV

If your project requires more, upgrade to Excel 2007 which has 16384
columns.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0500, "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote:

>In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first save
>the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
>won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another way
>to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?

0
Gord
12/15/2009 4:28:01 PM
Thanks, I had already installed Office 2007 and was planning on doing
my 2010 sheet on it.  I was sticking to Excel 2003 for the remainder
of the 2009 sheet created under it because there doesn't seem to be
any advantage to opening it in Excel 2007.  When I open it in Excel
2007 it still seems to carry the column limitation at Column IV.

Am I missing something with Excel 2007?  Can it add more columns to
this sheet?

> The last column in an Excel 2003 worksheet is always column
> IV.........256
> columns.   Has no relation to saving.
>
> This cannot be changed..................no more columns can be added
> to a
> sheet or columns inserted if you have data in column IV
>
> If your project requires more, upgrade to Excel 2007 which has 16384
> columns.
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0500, "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>>In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first
>>save
>>the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
>>won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another way
>>to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?

0
mazorj
12/18/2009 4:01:19 PM
Save that file as .xlsx file, close the file then re-open it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 18, 4:01=A0pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Thanks, I had already installed Office 2007 and was planning on doing
> my 2010 sheet on it. =A0I was sticking to Excel 2003 for the remainder
> of the 2009 sheet created under it because there doesn't seem to be
> any advantage to opening it in Excel 2007. =A0When I open it in Excel
> 2007 it still seems to carry the column limitation at Column IV.
>
> Am I missing something with Excel 2007? =A0Can it add more columns to
> this sheet?
>
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message

> > The last column in an Excel 2003 worksheet is always column
> > IV.........256
> > columns. =A0 Has no relation to saving.
>
> > This cannot be changed..................no more columns can be added
> > to a
> > sheet or columns inserted if you have data in column IV
>
> > If your project requires more, upgrade to Excel 2007 which has 16384
> > columns.
>
> > Gord Dibben =A0MS Excel MVP
>
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0500, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net>
> > wrote:
>
> >>In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first
> >>save
> >>the new file. =A0The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
> >>won't allow Insert to add a column at the end. =A0Is there another way
> >>to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?- Hide quo=
ted text -

Pete_UK
12/18/2009 4:15:02 PM
Only if you save as a 2007 version  *.xlsx

Gord

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:01:19 -0500, "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net> wrote:

>Thanks, I had already installed Office 2007 and was planning on doing
>my 2010 sheet on it.  I was sticking to Excel 2003 for the remainder
>of the 2009 sheet created under it because there doesn't seem to be
>any advantage to opening it in Excel 2007.  When I open it in Excel
>2007 it still seems to carry the column limitation at Column IV.
>
>Am I missing something with Excel 2007?  Can it add more columns to
>this sheet?
>

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> The last column in an Excel 2003 worksheet is always column
>> IV.........256
>> columns.   Has no relation to saving.
>>
>> This cannot be changed..................no more columns can be added
>> to a
>> sheet or columns inserted if you have data in column IV
>>
>> If your project requires more, upgrade to Excel 2007 which has 16384
>> columns.
>>
>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0500, "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first
>>>save
>>>the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
>>>won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another way
>>>to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?

0
Gord
> The last column in an Excel 2003 worksheet is always column
> IV.........256
> columns.   Has no relation to saving.
>
> This cannot be changed..................no more columns can be added
> to a
> sheet or columns inserted if you have data in column IV
>
> If your project requires more, upgrade to Excel 2007 which has 16384
> columns.
>
> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

Thank you.  That already was in the mill for my 2010 sheet.

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 10:58:52 -0500, "mazorj" <mazorj@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>>In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first
>>save
>>the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
>>won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another way
>>to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?

0
mazorj
12/18/2009 7:34:35 PM
"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> Save that file as .xlsx file, close the file then re-open it.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Pete

Doh!  Should have thunk of that myself.  Merely opening the file in
Excel 2007 didn't allow that, but saving it as an .xlsx and reopening
it did.  Thanks.

> Only if you save as a 2007 version  *.xlsx

Yep.  Thanks.

> You'll have to delete a column between your "real" data and the last
> column.
> Then insert a new column.
>
> Is there a reason you're using the last column?  Maybe you could
> move that to
> column A.  If you don't like seeing the stuff in that column, you
> could hide
> column A, too.

Column A identifies each line, and the next two columns have data used
in all the subsequent daily columns.  I need Col. A and moving the
next two would be a pain because many of the daily calculations refer
back to them as fixed $X$Y cells.  The last column currently is marked
for Dec. 31.  I see now that saving it as an .xlsx file allows me to
add columns, so problem solved.  Thanks for the suggestion.

> mazorj wrote:
>>
>> In Excel 2003 the last column in a sheet is fixed when you first
>> save
>> the new file.  The last column in my spreadsheet has data so Excel
>> won't allow Insert to add a column at the end.  Is there another
>> way
>> to add one more blank column at the end of an existing sheet?
>
> --
> Dave Peterson

0
mazorj
12/18/2009 8:07:30 PM
You're welcome.

Pete

On Dec 18, 7:37=A0pm, "mazorj" <maz...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Doh! =A0Should have thunk of that myself. =A0Merely opening the file in
> Excel 2007 didn't allow that, but saving it as an .xlsx and reopening
> it did. =A0Thanks.

0
Pete_UK

Vlookup with variable column reference
Help! I am trying to link two workbooks with a vlookup that searches for the last populated columns' entry in a range (see example below). 27/03 28/03 29/03 30/03 31/03 Data 6 4 Is there a way of doing this in a function? In a macro I would use the Range().End(xltoleft) code but I cannot figure out how to do something similar in a worksheet function. I basically want the lookup column to start at day 31 and make its way backwards until it finds a value. Another issue is that the seemingly blank cells contain formula - ie. not empty. Any ideas? Thanks!! Jen 1 ...

variable column names in a report
i have an application where the user can enter self selected column names which then in turn are added to a table... application works fine. however, when it comes to reporting, how do i go about adding those self entered columns in a report? any help would be appreciated Do you actually need this in a report or can the results be pushed to Excel for printing? -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP Help me support UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "k2sarah" <k2sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56B6FD1-2F5B-45D5-8760-A61E3CA41495@microsoft.c...

Counting cells basesd on multiple criteria
Ok so i have two sheets In SHEET 1 column A i have a list of about 1000 different alarms. Then In SHEET 2 i have a log for 30 days with the alarms that occured in those thirty days. The log takes up 35465 thousand rows. Column D has the name of the alarm and Column C has if the alarm was an IN or OUT alarm. What i want to do is in SHEET 1 column 2 display how many times each of these 1000 alarms occured in the last 30 days but only when it was an IN alarm. I cant use something that refrences the name of the alarm i need a formula that can actually refrence the cell because it would be ...

Hide Cell Content if no data in previous columns
I've made this work many years ago but now can't remember how. I have a job invoice to where the rate is 40.00/hour. This 40.00 is used in calculation to determine the total amount of pay owed. (20 hours worked * 40.00/hour). The boss requires that the hourly rate be shown for each job on the invoice, so that means it is in a column to where the amount is repeated all the way down. All I want is for the contents of that particular column NOT to show (show as blank), if no job has been entered. In other words, if there is no data entered on that particular row, hide the cont...

Copy one Column Across One Row
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea Kevin If the column contains no more than 255 rows of data(256 if you are pasting below row 256) you can copy it and select B1 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:23:46 -0700, <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > &g...

'advanced filter/unique values only' inaccurate counts
i often have to use filters to reduce a column of numbers to just it's unique values. simple enough, but unfortunately excel's advanced filter doesn't always do the job and leaves out values or just doesn't filter correctly. i'm hoping there's a simple explanation for this and the filter can be made more reliable. any thoughts? The filters are reliable, so there may be a problem with the data. For example, a space at the end of a text string can cause two cells that look the same to be extracted by the filter. Perhaps you can give an example of what's left out, ...

How do I stop expanding cells in excel
I have a file that when opened on a Mac, the cells expand to a larger box when you select one for data entry. Can anyone tell me how to turn this feature off? Thanks Eric Hi Eric- AFAIK there is no 'standard' setting in XL (either platform) that causes cells to expand simply because you click one. Can you supply more specifics about XL & OS versions, as well as how the file is being transported from one to the other? Regards |:>) "Diverej" wrote: > I have a file that when opened on a Mac, the cells expand to a larger box > when you select one for data...

Totals in Stacked Column?
I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. Never mind - Andy Pope's website had the answer. "EllenM" wrote: > I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the > total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. ...

The blank cells i need to count have formilas in
How do i write a fromula to add together diffeent ranges of cells that will count blank cells even if the blank has a formula in it. f 17:f12 + g23:g30+h5:h10 = 8 using excel 2007Vista Hi Rubber, If the blank cells with a formula in them has the value of zero, use COUNTA to count the cells and COUNTIF to count the zero values in each range, then subtract the two. =COUNTA(F12:F17)-COUNTIF(F12:F17,0) or fully =COUNTA(F12:F17)-COUNTIF(F12:F17,0)+COUNTA(g23:g30)-COUNTIF(g23:g30,0)+COUNTA(h5:h10)-COUNTIF(h5:h10,0) Squeaky "Rubber 4 u" wrote: > How do i w...

Specifying source campaign in Opp., not counting as campaign respo
General usage question regarding campaigns. If we create a campaign, then specify that campaign as the source campaign for an opportunity, that opportunity/account is not then listed as a response to that campaign. So when we run a Campaign Performance report, no responses are listed. Do you have to use the normal method of entering a response within the campaign? I'd think that if you can associate a campaign within the opportunity, that linkage would reflect in a Campaign Performance report. Thanks!! ...

How to count last name letters
Hi folks, I would like to know how I can count how many records have the same letter. For example, how many records start with the letter A, how many for letter B, etc. Seems simple enough, but I can't figure out how to work this. Would appreciate some help. Thanks. In news:uKD40b2rHHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, jason <jasonsantos-NOSPAM-@allstatesmedical.com> wrote: > Hi folks, > I would like to know how I can count how many records have the same > letter. For example, how many records start with the letter A, how > many for letter B, etc. > > Seems simple ...

Creating Labels, Missing Column
I'm trying to create address labels. In my file I have the columns for "Street Address", "City", "State", "Zip Code" and "Country". The street address does not show up in the window to select what info I want on the label. Anyone know how to fix this??? Hi In your table you "may" have IDfield, 1stName, 2ndName, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code and Country. Create a query based on the table. Bring all the fields in the query and create a calculted culumn with something like Capital: Left([1stName],1) Create a new re...

Clustered column graph with mixed data in 2nd column
I'm trying to create a clustered column graph with mixed data in the 2nd column and I cannot find a way to do it. Any suggestions? What's "mixed data"? Do you mean you want to build a stacked column for the second column in the cluster? If so, look here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "drhatt" <drhatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:648BC5CE-4DE9-433C-A824-325B6995D...

How to update a portion of rows and columns between two files
I have a Master file with 20 columns of data for each of approximately 700 rows. Each month, I receive an update file that I need to use to update 10 columns of data for 3/4 of the rows in my Master file. There is a unique identifier in each file. Not all rows in the update file will be copied into the Master file and not all rows in the Master file will have updates. What is the best way to do this? I am familiar with VLookup. Shall I write aVLookup for each of the 10 columns in each row that need to be replaced so that I can grab the cell from the new file? Or, is there an easier way? ...

Columns on wrong side
When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Excel on the right side of the sheets, meaning it looks like this: P-O-N-M-L-K-J-I-H-G-F-E-D-C-B-A How do I change it to look the normal way from left to right when I open a new book in excel? Hi Seems you have set Excel to read from Right to Left - as is done in Arabic language. To set it right Go to menu Tools->Options Choose the International Tab In Right-to-Left Default direction choose Left-to-Right The order of column will be A-B ... Regards Sukhjeet "Drew" wrote: > When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Exce...

how do i expand and collapse rows
I need to expand and collapse ROWS, I want main info seen and rows below it collapsed so I can expand as needed, How do i do that?? i keep trying but it's not working out very well! >>i keep trying but it's not working out very well! ?? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "office wreck!" <office wreck!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F406B2CA-EEA3-4C29-98E7-2A4C22895C3B@microsoft.com... >I need to expand and collapse ROWS, I want main info seen and rows below it > collapsed so I can expand as n...

Checkbox column #2
Hi, How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? Regards Bo "Bo Rasmussen" <krogenlund@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OtsOMgl6DHA.3648 @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl: > How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? > Excel doesn't support this directly. To get a checkbox you need to use VBA Forms or OLE controls, create a bunch of checkboxes, then link them to the cells. Check out View/Toolbars/Forms and View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox. Could you describe in more detail what you're looking for? -- My email address has an extra @ (s...

Wrapping text in column
In Excell 2007, how do you set a column to wrap text? I tried it and even though it seems to allow me to do it when I select column and check wrap text from Format Cells, it doesn't work. It only works when I select one cell and select wrap text. This is a bit irritating as I have many cells in a column to do this to. Thanks, Tom I find that this happens when I paste from Word. If I have the fields set as Vertical/Top and Wrap Text - then I paste any data from Word, it goes to Vertical/Bottom and NOT wrap text. If I paste data from my Textpad program that spans multiple line...

Count unique occurrences in a list
Hi guys, I have a list as so: Part1 Run1 Part1 Run1 Part2 Run1 Part3 Run1 Part4 Run2 Part4 Run2 Part1 Run3 Part2 Run3 Part5 Run3 Part6 Run4 Part1 Run5 Part1 Run5 Part1 Run5 Part6 Run5 .... Part1 Run1001 Part3 Run1001 Part3 Run1001 .... The number of unique parts may be >100 and the number of runs can be anything (it's actually ~2000 in my current list) What I would like to do is this: For each Part, count how many Runs contained that Part (that is the number of unique runs containing at least of that Part.) I should end up with a new list similar ...

Counting with 2 criteria
I need to be able to pull counts from a frequently updated list based on associate's name and status of order. -- Amethyst =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="associate name"),--(B1:B100="status")) should do it for you, adjust the columns/rows to match your sheet. You could have a couple of cells to enter associate name/status into to make things easier; as associate name in C1 and status in D1: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=C1),--(B1:B100=D1)) "Amethyst" wrote: > I need to be able to pull counts from a frequently updated list based on > associate&#...

How do I make multi column stacked graphs in Excel
-- Ed Hi, See the links on Jon's page for Cluster Stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Ed B wrote: ...

Subtotaling on column with IF statement results
I created a spreadsheet with one column having an IF statement - it calculates how much we should re-order per store based on what was sold. I asked it to subtotal for each store - the formula appears in the cell, but it does not calculate the subtotal. I tried saving the column as the values, but it still does not subtotal. When I typed in the numbers, it DID subtotal. What do I need to do so it will subtotal? Thanks for your help. -- STK By any chance are you importing the data from another application? Check out your numbers: does the cell contain an apostrophe and then the numb...

Count partial matched text string
I have 3 spreadsheets. The first, “Supplies Requests Received” where Column B contains the (duplicated) names of internal offices placing supply requests (e.g., SNF, DGEN, CANM, etc.) and Column G contains each date a request for supplies was received from that office. Column B Column B SNF 1//29/2009 DGEN 4/19/2008 CNMN 2/4/2009 ASEV 12/11/2008 SNF 2/3/2009 ASEV 9/16/2008 DGEN 5/1/2008 The second spreadsheet “Supplies Delivered” where Column A is a link of Column B from the above “Supplies Requests Received spreadsheet and Column G (of Supplies Delivered”) contains the names of ALL ...

Lines Between Columns
Publisher 2003 I have a newsletter page that is formatted to be double column. I want to place a 0.5 point line between the columns. Right clicking within the double columns then clicking on format text box>colors and lines then clicking the box in preview that is for the center line only nothing happens to the menu on the left. The "dashed", "style" and "weight " boxes are grayed out. Out of the six boxes shown there, the only two that activate the above quoted boxes are the two on the right of the bottom row (frame and frame with line down the middle). I ...

stop returning column headings from DB query
I put together a query to go against Oracle that returns a block of data to the spreadsheet. Is there an option somewhere to have the "Return Data to Excel" do so without also returning the column headings? I want the data only. thanks - Russ There are 2 places that you can change that setting..... 1)When you return data from MS Query the dialog where you select the location for the data has a Properties button. Click that button UNcheck: Include Field Names.......click [OK] Continue selecting the query destination OR 2)After the data has been pulled from Oracle Right-click...