Execl2002: Editing via F2, cell in light blue, Enter inserts new line

Hello,

suddenly when I edit a cell via F2, the cell is highlighted in a color
like light blue. When I press Enter a new line is inserted, it's not
possible to end editing with Enter. Any hint?

Thanks and greetings
Udo

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

Do you see EXT on the bottom bar of Excel?
If so, you are in Extended mode. Press F8 to clear.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Udo" <WeikEngOff@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> suddenly when I edit a cell via F2, the cell is highlighted in a color
> like light blue. When I press Enter a new line is inserted, it's not
> possible to end editing with Enter. Any hint?
>

> Thanks and greetings
> Udo

0
Roger
9/29/2007 7:58:42 AM
Hello Roger,

many thanks for your asnwer.

> Do you see EXT on the bottom bar of Excel?
> If so, you are in Extended mode. Press F8 to clear.

no, has nothing to do with EXT. One additional hint.
The cell which is edited contains already a string (text).

Thanks and greetings
Udo

> > suddenly when I edit a cell via F2, the cell is highlighted in a color
> > like light blue. When I press Enter a new line is inserted, it's not
> > possible to end editing with Enter. Any hint?

Hello Roger,

> > Do you see EXT on the bottom bar of Excel?
> > If so, you are in Extended mode. Press F8 to clear.
>
> no, has nothing to do with EXT. One additional hint.
> The cell which is edited contains already a string (text).
>
> > > suddenly when I edit a cell via F2, the cell is highlighted in a color
> > > like light blue. When I press Enter a new line is inserted, it's not
> > > possible to end editing with Enter. Any hint?

yep, solved, but don't know why - "played" a little bit with F8...

Thanks and greetings
Udo

Cells font colors
Does anyone know how to have a cell font change color What I am trying to figure out is if cell A1 contains a number I would like that cell font to start off in red and if cell B2 contains a number have cell A1 change to red automatically I think it is something like =IF(D4="",0[RED],100[GREEN] And/Or Should I use Condiational Formating or a double IF? Hi Robbins2U! You can't do it with cell formulas. Take a look at Format > Conditional formatting. You need the Formula is option and your formula should evaluate to TRUE or FALSE -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydn...

breaking text into multiple cells
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Lets say I type &quot;a b c d&quot; into a cell. Is there a way I can place the cursor between &quot;a&quot; and &quot;b&quot; and then cause only &quot;a&quot; to remain in the original cell while &quot;b c d&quot; move to a new cell? <br><br>Thanks! On 2010-05-27 12:53:39 -0400, Dwade01@officeformac.com said: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel Lets say I type "a b c d" into a cell. Is ther...

Unsolvable cell naming question: Can anyone beat this one?
I am trying to copy and paste named cells from one workbook to another without having the first workbook file name attach to the named cells. For example, I am copying a cell named XYZ from file One.xls to file Two.xls. I need to have cell XYZ NOT say One.xls!XYZ when it is entered into Two.xls. Also, how can I get that message that asks if I want to use the cell names to not pop up? I think I understand what you're running into here. If the cell you are MOVING refers to a named range in it's source workbook that doesn't exist in the destination workbook, Excel will not ide...

Two different totals in one cell
C D L O P Q R H, AL A, AL A A P SF H, AL 1.0, 1.0 1.0, 1.0 7.50 8.5 0.00 0.00 1.0, 2.0 As you can see, “A” (shown in columns D and L) and “AL” (shown in columns C and D) are in two separate columns; I would like to show their totals in two separate columns, i.e, O (totals of all “A”) and R (totals of “AL”) in the example above. Try these: =3DCOUNTIF(C1:L1,"*A*") =3DCOUNTIF(C1:L1,"*AL*") Hope this helps. Pete On May 4, 4:27=A0pm, something68 <somethin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > C =A0 =A0 =A0 D =A0 =A0 =A0 L =A0 =A0 =A0 O ...

We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit.
We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Please put your question in the body of your post. The subject isn't big enough. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Des" <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:445B6C35-2C3B-4BB3-BDC2-438B4281DCC5@microsoft.com... > We have Outlook 2003 and wish to stop the abilty of staff to edit... Des <Des@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...

3d line charts cause Excel 2007 to crash
This is more of a bug report than a question (I've not been able to find a standard place to report bugs in Office 2007, the Connect site is for developer products such as Visual Studio etc). 3d line charts which work perfectly well on a pc with Excel 2003 cause Excel 2007 to hang when opened on my Vista pc with Excel 2007. I hope this is something which can be fixed when Service Pack 1 is released for Office 2007, as it is a very useful chart feature which we (and our clients) use a lot in one area of our work, and it may prevent our clients from migrating from Office 2003 to Of...

Insert CRM Icon (i.e. contact) into Outlook menu bar and use hyperlink
hy, my customer doesnt like to access the contacts, accounts etc via the folder structure in outlook client - much too complicated.. he wants a "shortcut": I inserted the CRM icon for contact list view into the Outlook Menu bar and added a hyperlink, problem: with the following hyperlink: outlook://Microsoft%20CRM/Workplace/Customers/Contacts a new instance of outlook is opened. so after klicking 5 times on my contact ican, I have opened outlook 5 times... if I add the hyperlink: \\CRMserver\.... etc... I dont open the contact in the outlook view but open an internet explorer wind...

Can I insert a box on excel that can be checked and un-checked?
I would like to insert a box that can be checked or unchecked, like a check list showing what is done and what is not done. I was just wondering where I can find that. Thanks Right click on your toolbar, on the drop down pick Forms, should be there Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494386 ...

new clause on online services
Is this new to M2004? From the comparison page on the various M2004 versions: 3 Online services valid two or three years from first use. Online bill pay, downloading transactions from your financial institution, downloading stock quotes, and the ability to synchronize with MSN� Money Plus or MSN Money expire two years from first use of Microsoft Money Standard or September 1, 2006, whichever is earlier. Online bill pay, downloading transactions from your financial institution, downloading stock quotes, and the ability to synchronize with MSN� Money Plus or MSN Money expire three years from fir...

How do I Install Office:mac 2004 Upgrade on new iMac
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Office:mac Upgrade Professional Edition installed on my G3 running OS 10.4.11 and am trying to install the program on my new iMac with Intel Duo processors. I am unable to transfer the application over from the G3 because I don't have enough access privileges. (The system (both macs) ran for 13 hours supposedly transferring files, after which it managed to transfer 1 application. All files that were transferred deny me access privileges.) They're my machines - I am the only user of both machines. I have Wo...

Problem: new calendar entries land on wrong date

Add a goal line to a column chart
I have several column charts which I need to add different goal lines. Any suggestions? The goal has to be represented as a line and not as a column. Thanks for your help! http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Brandy" <Brandy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF99E151-13A4-461D-B9CA-DECE4E467904@microsoft.com... >I have several column charts which I need to add different goal lines. Any > sugg...

New user
I need to backup my data and need to select the path...I am not even sure where to look for it...Help appreciated DJE <DJE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to backup my data and need to select the path...I am not even > sure where to look for it...Help appreciated http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Show random labels in simple line chart
I have a simple line chart that has a very large data table behind it. The line is generally the same simple upward slope with a "bend" where the slope changes. The data changes frequently so the location of the "bend" point changes as well. I do not use any labels on the chart, except that I want to label just the point where a change in slope occurs. Is there a way to do this automatically? I don't want to go in to the chart each time I create it and have to manually turn off the old "wrong" label and turn on the new one. I hope that makes sense...

Scan for combo then insert row
I have a worksheet sorted by Columns D, E, and G. I am trying to create a macro that, starting in row 3, will scan every row in Columns D, E, and G for the following combination Column D = Sale Column E = Purchaser Column G = Solution When I find the last record of this combination (Column D/Sale), (Column E/Purchaser), (Column G/Solution) I would like to insert a row below the last combination. Can you help me? Try the following. Sub ScanCombinations() Dim i As Long Dim lngRow As Long With Sheets("Sheet1") lngRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "D") ...

absolute cell references
I've got monthly expense numbers in one workbook I need to compare to monthly expense numbers in another workbook. I insert a new column to calculate the differences in one of the worksheets. Then I simply click to create the formula that subtracts the expenses in the current workbook from the expenses in the other workbook. Here's the problem. I'd like to set up one cell with the difference and then just copy it to fill in the rest of the months, right? Well, for some reason, when I create the first cell, it refers to the other workbook using an absolute cell refere...

Alternate Line Color
I have to use Office2k and Office07 at my work. I like to added feature of the alternate line color in office07. But it does not work in O2k. So I added a counter and some code under the detail format event: select case me.counter mod 2 case 0 detail.backcolor = rgb(223,223,223) case else detail.backcolor = rgb(255,255,255) end select It works fine, except that it only colors about 1.5 inches on the left and 1 inch on the right. Everything in the middle is uncolored. I have several reports that are like this. I keep the databases in O2k format, but often decompile, resa...

Changing to new dates
Hi everyone I am trying to change last year of date to new year i.e from 2003 to 2004.I have done them day by day and if i start changing date i have to do for 365 days .Can any one tell me how can i change those years e.g 01/01/0 02/01/03 this goes up to 31/12/0 and i want it to be changed to 2004 year plz help me im going crazy!!! Just put the first date in the first cell assume it is A1, in A2 put =A1+1 then just copy down the formula -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ali" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B773478-C8A1-4F88-AE9D-CD3DD5B8878...

Excel "Insert Comment" Formatting
Hi, Windows XP Home Excel 2002 How can I format the "Insert Comment" .....(open Workbook > right click on a cell > left click > Insert Comment)......in my Excel worksheet? It opens now at Font Size 8. I would like it to open at a larger Font Size and also have the Insert Comment window saved at my chosen larger size (I know how to expand to a larger size but want to save it at that size for next time using Insert Comment in a different cell). Thank you, Larry Larry Start > settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance Tab > Advanced. Select...

how do you stop editing the text in a created button
i'm in the process of setting up a spreadsheet, which happens to include macros! now the only problem i have is everytime i press the relevant button i've created and assigned a macro to it goes straight in to the editing text mode! is there any way of stopping that! Sounds like a command button from the Control Toolbox. Open the Control Toolbox Toolbar and click on the design button to "exit design mode". This would be the top left button on the toolbar. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:18:13 -0800, "kara" <kara@discussions.microsoft.com>...

accidentally entered #'s as %s
i have a hugh spread sheet. the numbers were accidentally entered as percentages. how can i get rid of the percentage formatting w/o the decimal point changing position. ie. i want -0.251% to read -.251. when i undo the percentage formatting it ='s -0.002514568. sorry:( i know it's a basic question, but i can figure this out for the life of me. thanks put 100 in a cell somewhere, and copy this cell, select the region o your values, and paste special, multiply, and reformat to numbe -- duan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- duane's...

insert number in column #2
I have a column with threedigits for telephone extensions. I want to insert a digit before the three throughout the column as the extension has been increased to 4 digits. Any easy way.../ Thanks. AFD One way: In a blank column (say column H), enter H1: =1 & A1 or, if you want them as numbers rather than text: H1: =1000+A1 copy down as far as necessary. Select the column and copy it. Select the original column and choose Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <Om6vrJpEIHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, "afdmello" <afdmello@hotmail.com> wrote: &...

Help with counting user entered text values
Hi, Version: Excel 2000 Situation: In Column G, I will have testers entering in their initals. I would like to display the tester's initals in column H of another worksheet with the number of times that set of intals appeared in column G on column I of the other worksheet. The catch is that I do not have a list of the testers initals ahead of time, so I'll need to pull them from column H. Thanks for any and all help in advance, David Hi David, H10: DAL i10: =COUNTIF(G:G,H10) or if you don't want to see 0 if H10 is empty I10: =IF(H10="","",COU...

Memory Cell Could Not Be "READ."
I have Money 2K, WINXP Home, and until about a week ago I had no problems updating. Now, most of the time, when I try to update the Internet Information, I get an error message which reads: The instruction at "0x600bb01c" referenced memory at "0x00000007" The memory could not be "read." Click OK to terminate the program. When this happens, my modem lights flicker as if it is trying to get a response, but isn't getting one. After 10 seconds or so, I get the above message. Every few days it works fine. I have Fidelity as a investment, and I can always...

Time line in excel graph
I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after the line is the future predicted outcomes. I've tried countless different options and cant seem to find how to do this! Hi, There are various ways of addressing this problem. See the following for examples of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Wilkesy50 wrote: > I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after > th...