Excluding full path to linked file on a networked drive

Hello,

I have two excel files -- A and B.  Both files are saved on a network
drive in the same directory.  In file A, I have links to cells in file
B.

Because the files are in the same directory, is it possible to not
have Excel show the entire path to file B in the formulas in file A
that link to file B?  The network path is quite long and it makes it
difficult to read the formulas?

If file B is open, the formulas just show the name of the file,i.e.
[B].  Is it possible to always have this shown?

THanks,

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

How about using a cell reference that contains the file path?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA .

"Scott" <scott.siegler@gmail.com>
wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have two excel files -- A and B.  Both files are saved on a network
> drive in the same directory.  In file A, I have links to cells in file
> B.
>
> Because the files are in the same directory, is it possible to not
> have Excel show the entire path to file B in the formulas in file A
> that link to file B?  The network path is quite long and it makes it
> difficult to read the formulas?
>
> If file B is open, the formulas just show the name of the file,i.e.
> [B].  Is it possible to always have this shown?
> THanks,

I don't think that this would be a good idea.

I'm guessing that =indirect() would be used somewhere to include that cell's
value (the path).  And that fails if the "sending" file is closed.

There are workarounds using addins (Harlan Grove's =Pull() and Laurent Longre's
=indirect.ext(), but they are addins that each user would have to have installed.

On 06/09/2011 13:52, Jim Cone wrote:
> How about using a cell reference that contains the file path?

--
Dave Peterson
0

--
Dave Peterson
0

Then use that cell in your formula.

--
Dave Peterson
0

quick way to combine 2 files?
If you have two excel files, both of which have 3 or 4 worksheets that are all used in lookup routines etc etc, is there an easy way to combine the two into a single file, as I think it won't work just by copying and pasting individual worksheets over in their entirety tks in advance LeeH Lee, With both workbooks open, group the sheets of one workbook (using Ctrl clicks on the tabs) then right click and select Move or Copy and then move them into the other workbook. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Lee Harris web" <lee.harris4@virgin.net> wrote in message news:32c0bd8d.04012...

Dynamics GP routing link several BOM's at once
When using routing links allow selection of several items at once to link to a routing step instead of one at a time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=487897...

DVD-RAM Drive Displays As CD Drive In My Computer
When I insert a blank DVD into the drive, the icon changes from DVD-RAM Drive to CD Drive and a windows opens up asking what I would like to do with the CD. After I eject the blank DVD, the icon returns to displaying DVD-RAM Drive. However, when I insert a DVD video into the drive, it will be recognized as such. A DVD data disc is correctly displayed as DVD ROM. The drive reads any disk I insert, and the drive is also recognized by most of my DVD burning software. I've also updated to the latest firmware for the drive. I've checked online and this problem seems to have ex...

How to read .pst file?
Supposed I have a .pst file that contains mails in Inbox folder. How can I write a program to read the those mails? The program must read from the .pst file without Outlook start-up. Any clue? See my answer in the Exchange newsgroup thread. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginners Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Roger" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:315C7206-100C-416E-88BF-976949AEDE90@microsoft.com....

Linked Forms

How do I convert .txt files into .xls in order to be able to sum.
I receive via e-mail a statement that I need to resort by date , purchase order and total by department, etc. The process I have been using is to copy and paste into Excel. However, when I try to sum the $ is will not sum. Is there some other way of converting this statement that I receive via e-mail into Excel, so that I can resort and sum? I am using Excel 2002 and my e-mail browser is Mozilla. You might be able to use File-->Open, and then let the Text Import Wizard help. Otherwise, you could use the "data isn't recognized" fix here: http://www.officearticles.co...

"a document with the name" error on opening file
I'm getting an error message that says "A documents with the name " & filename & " is already open" (where filename is the actual name of the file) when I try to open certain files in Excel 97, when I don't really have a copy of the file in question opens. This error comes up pretty consistantly on one file that lives on a server, but I also get it when I try to open some local files. Anyone have any idea what would cause this & how to fix it? Thanks in advance. Best Jim Hi Jim have a look at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen ...

Link Tables in Report Writer
Hi everyone, Im working with Report Writer in GP10 I read David articles and they are interesting but my question is: for exemple I want to add the "expiration date" to the "POP Receivings Posting journal" report let's assume I found the table containing the "expiration date" how do I get to it when creating table relationships Im new with GP and Im having difficulties what tables to link to get the final table. I really tried everything to figure it out but I didn't succeed I hope I was clear explaning this. thank you guys in advance It sounds li...

Update Link
I have got a problem of Excel update link after upgrade to Office 2003. I have create 5 excel files which is linked togather. In the 1st one, it contains raw data, and each of the other make use of the result of the pervious file. 1 --> 2 --> 3 --> 4 --> 5 Data When I open the 5th file, it ask me to update link, form the background I can still see the values, however no matter I choose "update" or "do not update" the value turns into error. I have to open the 4th and 3rd file in order to give my value back. This does not happen when I open the fil...

File in 2007 form
I was trying the Beta Office 2007 and made the mistake of saving one of you Excel file in the new 2007 form. I really need it back in the 2003 form. Problem: due to a variety of issues, I de-installed the Beta version and went back to 2003 but for got about the one file.. So; are there any utilities that anyone knows of the will convert this file back two 2003 form?? It is a simple Excel file, meaning that there are no clever or fancy formula or macros, just a collection of parts and part numbers gathered over MUCH time surfing various web sites. Any help or advise (beside the obvious....

word attachments on e-mail, docx files, recipient unable to open
I have been sending e-mails as I always have and attaching them in the way I always have, all of a sudden word documents are coming up as docx files and the recipients cannot open them, I have only recently gone onto Vista and microsoft offoce 2007. This has only happened recently with new docs that I have created on the new system. It is frustrating my customers and my hair is now falling out. Please help! That's because Word 2007 saves documents in a new format, .docx, unless told to do otherwise. There are two solutions: 1. Do a "Save As" and save documents in Word 97-...

remember path when linking many GIFs to cells?
When I link a number of GIF images residing in a different directory to Excel 2002 cells, the program does not remember the last directory it looked in when a new link is entered. Is there a way to set up a default path for this boring operation? Thanks, z.entropic ...

My Account Settings, Icons, Files are "Missing"
Recently, I booted up and discovered that my personalized icons (under my account) had disappeared from the desktop. The Account Name is "Gilxxx" but my data is under "Curxxx" When I looked closer, I was able to see the directory structure in my "Documents and Settings" folders, but none of the files. The files are there, however, as I can play MP3s in Windows Media Player (and they are in my My Music directory). And, when I tried to add new desktop icons to "re-create" my old desktop, Windows tells me that a shortcut with that name alread...

Problem cleaning up temporary files.
This isn't MFC specific so I apologize. I just like the information provided by the regular members of this group. I have an application that has a Rich Edit control. Next to the Rich Edit control is a Print button. To avoid all the details of printing, I decided to save the contents of the control to a RTF file, then do ShellExecuteEx("blahblah.rtf", "print", ...). This works fine. But, I sure would like to remove these temporary files. But I am finding that to be a tricky problem to solve. At first, I thought I would wait for the process started to end. Bu...

Linked Cell Property In Activex controls
Can someone point me to an example showing how this property can be used, linking, as an example, an option button to a specific cell? Say if I wanted "1" to appear in cell B2 of the worksheet if the option button is clicked KG, The option button puts TRUE or FALSE into its Linked Cell. You can get 1 or 0 out of that by referring to it with double negation operators. = --A1 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "KG" <KG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:924E6B40-6040-4016-B75B...

Virus in .mmd file
Hello, I speek english not well....I know. My anti-virus (norton) find a virus in a .MMD file stored in following folder : C:\Program Files\Microsoft BackOffice\Connectivity\POP3 Connector\InForward\ But the antivirus cannot access to this file, how i can remove this file ??? Thanks Configure NAV to exclude any data directories of Exchange (and other server products), otherwise file-level antivirus might damage databases. Then, in order to protect yourself from viruses, get Exchange-aware antivirus. J�r�my taverne wrote: > Hello, > > I speek english not well....I k...

Publisher File formats
I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I save the file I still get the pub extension after the .tif' Can I not save in anything but pub? Thanks Ray, It would help us to answer your question if you told us which version of Publisher you are using. -- JoAnn Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. --Emile-August Chartier "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006101c3dc62$7649ce40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I > save the f...

dc as a file server
is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 people or less. One dc is Exchange and the other is the file server. Just wondering if I should put a member server in and move the file server over to that one? any thoughts appreciated. Not necessarily. This is common for branch offices to use the DC as the office file server also hth DDS "joe schmo" <joeschmo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3332409F-9184-4A3F-9DB3-1E8B57591C08@microsoft.com... > is it bad practice to have your dc as a file server as well. 100 peo...

overlaping dates in two files
MS Money 2001 deluxe on Windows XP Pro I archived my 2004 accounts and never balanced them. I decided i needed to and now have two files, both .mny files with 2003Archive.mny is from 1/2002 to 12/2004 Active2005.mny is from 1/2004 to present. I'd like to combine them into one file so I can balance the accounts (three main accounts) because my statements are not ending nicely on the end of the month. Please recommend the best method so I can balance the accounts. I think I need to conbine the files or somehow get the months that are now balanced in the 2003Archive.mny file to give...

tail or other realtime monitors for SMTPSVC exyymmdd.log files?
I'm trying to find an inexpensive way to spot-check / monitor the various log files in realtime for my Exchange environment of 2000 and 2003. I have tried a handful of "tail" implementations and all of them seem to work to a certain degree but none of them are able to successfully keep monitoring the text files that Exchange updates as part of the SMTPSVC. I'm using the W3C format and when I "tail" these files, it won't keep updating properly as new data is appended to the end of this file. Is anyone else monitoring their logs in realtime and if so, what util...

MOP/SOP LINK #2
Hi, I created a new item and its fulfillment method is Make to Order-Manual. I created a sales order and a mfg order for this item. In GP 8.0, I opened the MOP/SOP Link window, only saw the MO on the right side for this item and the SO didn't show up on the left side. Did I miss any step to link MOP and SOP? What should I do, so the SO will show up in the left side? Thanks. stien Make sure the end date is set correctly, it must be out farther than the requested ship date on the SO (the default is the current date) also make sure you have a SITE ID in, even if you only have one s...

File Attachment Problem
I have got the file attachment problem since we implemented the dynamics CRM 4.0. So i will be glad if you advise me a way to solve this problem. sincerally ...

Graph OLE Linked objects problem
I got error message from access2003 when I tried to open a Graph OLE Linked objects, the message is: Strategic Budget builder can't find the file containing the linked OLE object you tried to update using OLE/DDE links command. When I click "yes", the other message pop up: "You may have misspelled the file name, or the file may have been deleted or renamed. If the file has been moved to a different location, use the OLE/DDE Links command to change the source. Or delete the object, and create a new linked object." Tried to re-installed OFFICE2003, but it still do...

Shrinking a Money File
I just upgraded to Money 2006 and I archived all my records prior to 01/01/2004. Is there a way to now shrink my money file in size? It's still at 20 Megs, same as it was before the archive. I assume since a majority of the data has been archive that I can compress all the open space in the file? I tried repairing the file (Standard and quick) and that didn't shrink the file. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks.... This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C58BE6.00FFF300 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-En...

[External Copy or SYLK] file format is not valid
I am moving to a new computer. I have WIN98SE on my old computer and WIN XP on the new one. I have Excel 97 and I am trying to transfer my data to the new computer. I get the above message when I try to open a file in XP. What is the problem? Thanks in advance, Bill. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...