Excell and Word Hang up when attempting use Save As command

I have just installed latest updates for office 2003 and now find that when I
attempt to use the save as command the application hangs up and prompts me to
send a report to microsoft when I terminate a non-responding program.  Any
ideas as to what is wrong?
0
Scuta (4)
4/22/2006 10:12:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Maybe...

Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
update MS06-015

Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742

--

Dave Peterson
0

Scuta

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Maybe...

> Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
> update MS06-015
>

> Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742
>
> Scuta wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed latest updates for office 2003 and now find that when I
> > attempt to use the save as command the application hangs up and prompts me to
> > send a report to microsoft when I terminate a non-responding program.  Any
> > ideas as to what is wrong?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Scuta (4)
4/22/2006 2:09:01 PM
Did you visit the sites Dave provided?

A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.

It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.

Read the how-tos on the MS site.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:09:01 -0700, Scuta <Scuta@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have uninstalled office and reinstalled.  I find that new documents in
>Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
>word documents still hang up when I use Save As.  I do not use more than a
>fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
>say that there are other effects.  If a solution exists that does not require
>me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.
>
>Scuta
>
>"Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
>> Maybe...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165
>> Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
>> update MS06-015
>>

>> Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
>> http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742
>>
>> Scuta wrote:
>> >
>> > I have just installed latest updates for office 2003 and now find that when I
>> > attempt to use the save as command the application hangs up and prompts me to
>> > send a report to microsoft when I terminate a non-responding program.  Any
>> > ideas as to what is wrong?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dave Peterson

0
Gord
4/22/2006 6:19:54 PM
I have two computers and both are having problems.  I am not a techy, so not
about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated.  Is
there no direct Microsoft Support?  The same thing happened with my pc at
work this week and the technician there was able to fix it.  Can't type in
addresses on IE.  Can't use save as in Excel or Word.  HP Printer will not
work.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Did you visit the sites Dave provided?
>
> A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.
>
> It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.
>
> Read the how-tos on the MS site.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:09:01 -0700, Scuta <Scuta@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have uninstalled office and reinstalled.  I find that new documents in
> >Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
> >word documents still hang up when I use Save As.  I do not use more than a
> >fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
> >say that there are other effects.  If a solution exists that does not require
> >me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.
> >
> >Scuta
> >
> >"Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe...
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165
> >> Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
> >> update MS06-015
> >>

> >> Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
> >> http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742

> >> --
> >>
> >> Dave Peterson

0
jerry (163)
4/22/2006 8:05:01 PM
I do not have the confidence to attempt the solutions suggested in the
references provided.  I have a ghost image of my operating hard drive on a
separate drive.  from February.  If I go back and then do not install the
update MS06-015 will this solve my problems?  Are Microsoft likely to correct
the problems they have caused?

Scuta

"Jerry" wrote:

> I have two computers and both are having problems.  I am not a techy, so not
> about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated.  Is
> there no direct Microsoft Support?  The same thing happened with my pc at
> work this week and the technician there was able to fix it.  Can't type in
> addresses on IE.  Can't use save as in Excel or Word.  HP Printer will not
> work.
>
> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > Did you visit the sites Dave provided?
> >
> > A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.
> >
> > It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.
> >
> > Read the how-tos on the MS site.
> >

> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
> >
> > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:09:01 -0700, Scuta <Scuta@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have uninstalled office and reinstalled.  I find that new documents in
> > >Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
> > >word documents still hang up when I use Save As.  I do not use more than a
> > >fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
> > >say that there are other effects.  If a solution exists that does not require
> > >me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.
> > >
> > >Scuta

0
Scuta (4)
4/22/2006 8:16:01 PM
There's a link to Kelly's Korner in that article:

Scroll down to near the bottom of the list--find #383.

On the righthand side is:
HP's Share-to-Web Software - Fix  More info: (MS06-015)

It's a link to a .vbs (scripting file) that updates the registry to fix the
problem if it was caused by the HP software.

--

Dave Peterson
0

These newsgroups are manned by your peers.  Microsoft support people are few and
far between around here.

We can do very little but try to assist with first-hand knowledge or by
directing you to sites where the information is available to instruct you on how
to fix the problem.

Gord

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0700, Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have two computers and both are having problems.  I am not a techy, so not
>about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated.  Is
>there no direct Microsoft Support?  The same thing happened with my pc at
>work this week and the technician there was able to fix it.  Can't type in
>addresses on IE.  Can't use save as in Excel or Word.  HP Printer will not
>work.
>
>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Did you visit the sites Dave provided?
>>
>> A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.
>>
>> It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.
>>
>> Read the how-tos on the MS site.
>>

>> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 07:09:01 -0700, Scuta <Scuta@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have uninstalled office and reinstalled.  I find that new documents in
>> >Excel and Word now behave correctlly but that pre-existing spreadsheets and
>> >word documents still hang up when I use Save As.  I do not use more than a
>> >fraction of a percent of the office facilities in these programs so I cannot
>> >say that there are other effects.  If a solution exists that does not require
>> >me to copy all my old documents into new ones I would like to know.
>> >
>> >Scuta

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
0
Gord
4/22/2006 10:28:29 PM
DO NOT change registry or uninstall Office. As Dave Peterson wrote in "Excel
and Word Hang Up..." a quick and simple fix can be found at
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742.Don't know how it works but it
does. Page two of the article gives a link to "Kellys Korner" for the fix. It
worked perfectly.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Jerry
>
> These newsgroups are manned by your peers.  Microsoft support people are few and
> far between around here.
>
> We can do very little but try to assist with first-hand knowledge or by
> directing you to sites where the information is available to instruct you on how
> to fix the problem.
>

> Gord
>

> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0700, Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have two computers and both are having problems.  I am not a techy, so not
> >about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated.  Is
> >there no direct Microsoft Support?  The same thing happened with my pc at
> >work this week and the technician there was able to fix it.  Can't type in
> >addresses on IE.  Can't use save as in Excel or Word.  HP Printer will not
> >work.
> >
> >"Gord Dibben" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you visit the sites Dave provided?
> >>
> >> A re-install of Office does nothing to help you.
> >>
> >> It is Windows OS updates that did the deed.
> >>
> >> Read the how-tos on the MS site.
> >>

> >> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
Drexel (1)
4/23/2006 12:57:02 AM
Many thanks to you and Dave Petersen and all involved in providing the
answers - Techeb fix worked without any fuss after I scewed up courage to use
it.

Regards
Scuta

"Karl Drexel" wrote:

> DO NOT change registry or uninstall Office. As Dave Peterson wrote in "Excel
> and Word Hang Up..." a quick and simple fix can be found at
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742.Don't know how it works but it
> does. Page two of the article gives a link to "Kellys Korner" for the fix. It
> worked perfectly.
>

> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > Jerry
> >
> > These newsgroups are manned by your peers.  Microsoft support people are few and
> > far between around here.
> >
> > We can do very little but try to assist with first-hand knowledge or by
> > directing you to sites where the information is available to instruct you on how
> > to fix the problem.
> >

> > Gord
> >

> > On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:05:01 -0700, Jerry <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I have two computers and both are having problems.  I am not a techy, so not
> > >about to attempt to do the items listed on the two websites indicated.  Is
> > >there no direct Microsoft Support?  The same thing happened with my pc at
> > >work this week and the technician there was able to fix it.  Can't type in
> > >addresses on IE.  Can't use save as in Excel or Word.  HP Printer will not
> > >work.

> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
Scuta (4)
4/24/2006 10:58:01 AM
I have the same problem as excel stops responding when saving a file but the
link no longer seems to be available.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for any help
in the matter

--
Brendan

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Maybe...

> Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security
> update MS06-015
>

> Microsoft Patch Snafu Grows, Users Seek Workaround
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/185303742
>
> Scuta wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed latest updates for office 2003 and now find that when I
> > attempt to use the save as command the application hangs up and prompts me to
> > send a report to microsoft when I terminate a non-responding program.  Any
> > ideas as to what is wrong?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Brendan (19)
8/13/2009 9:10:01 PM
The microsoft link is still working.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

OL 2002 Hanging up When Attaching Docs

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...

using the journal on outlook

Excel VBA

form fields not saving to table

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook