Excell 2007 Dates and combining 2 cells

I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of
mm/dd/yy

 Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will
display a 5 digit number.
 Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1
cell being the word date-  and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in
the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number.
Example Date-16425.
What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date
correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined
cells (Date- 03/03/01)

Sincerely,

Robin
0
scott7693 (519)
10/16/2008 9:53:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you're using a formula to concatenate/combined two cells, you can use
something like:

=a1&text(a2,"mm/dd/yy")

If all the dates appear as those plain old numbers, you may be looking at
formulas:
Tools|Options|view tab|uncheck formulas
(xl2003 menus)

The shortcut key for this is:
ctrl-`
(control backquote -- to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Formatting will display as mm/dd/yy

Combining turns the cell to text.

Try  =A1 & TEXT(B1,"mm/dd/yy")

assuming  string "Date-" in A1 and date in B1

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:53:01 -0700, Robin Scott <Robin
Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of
>mm/dd/yy
>
> Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will
>display a 5 digit number.
> Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1
>cell being the word date-  and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in
>the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number.
>Example Date-16425.
>What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date
>correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined
>cells (Date- 03/03/01)
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Robin

0
Gord
10/16/2008 10:13:07 PM
Hi,

Excel store dates as whole numbers starting with 1 which represents January
1, 1900 and going through 12/31/9999 which is 2,958,465.  The time is stored
as the decimal portion of a number.  So 0.5 represents Noon, half way through
the day.  This way a single number is used to store both the date and the
time.  When you see a five digit number which you think should be a date, you
should suspect that it isn't formatted as a date - click Format, Cells,
Number tab and note the format that is selected, it won't be a date.  The
reason everyone is telling you that a five digit number is a date is because
date ranging from 5/18/1927 to 10/13/2173 will be five digit numbers.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If you're using a formula to concatenate/combined two cells, you can use
> something like:
>
> =a1&text(a2,"mm/dd/yy")
>
> If all the dates appear as those plain old numbers, you may be looking at
> formulas:
> Tools|Options|view tab|uncheck formulas
> (xl2003 menus)
>
> The shortcut key for this is:
> ctrl-`
> (control backquote -- to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard)
>
> Robin Scott wrote:
> >
> > I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of
> > mm/dd/yy
> >
> >  Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will
> > display a 5 digit number.
> >  Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1
> > cell being the word date-  and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in
> > the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number.
> > Example Date-16425.
> > What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date
> > correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined
> > cells (Date- 03/03/01)
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Robin
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
Thank you for your help. It fixed the problem.

Thank you for your help. It answered my question, and fixed the problem.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> The 5-digit number is how Excel stores dates as serail numbers.
>
> Formatting will display as mm/dd/yy
>
> Combining turns the cell to text.
>
> Try  =A1 & TEXT(B1,"mm/dd/yy")
>
> assuming  string "Date-" in A1 and date in B1
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:53:01 -0700, Robin Scott <Robin
> Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of
> >mm/dd/yy
> >
> > Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will
> >display a 5 digit number.
> > Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1
> >cell being the word date-  and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in
> >the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number.
> >Example Date-16425.
> >What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date
> >correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined
> >cells (Date- 03/03/01)
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >
> >Robin

Thank you for giving insight as to why the date was displayed as a number.

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Excel store dates as whole numbers starting with 1 which represents January
> 1, 1900 and going through 12/31/9999 which is 2,958,465.  The time is stored
> as the decimal portion of a number.  So 0.5 represents Noon, half way through
> the day.  This way a single number is used to store both the date and the
> time.  When you see a five digit number which you think should be a date, you
> should suspect that it isn't formatted as a date - click Format, Cells,
> Number tab and note the format that is selected, it won't be a date.  The
> reason everyone is telling you that a five digit number is a date is because
> date ranging from 5/18/1927 to 10/13/2173 will be five digit numbers.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Robin Scott" wrote:
>
> > I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of
> > mm/dd/yy
> >
> >  Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will
> > display a 5 digit number.
> >  Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1
> > cell being the word date-  and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in
> > the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number.
> > Example Date-16425.
> > What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date
> > correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined
> > cells (Date- 03/03/01)
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Robin

visible cell only

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Excel 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

move cell contents

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Excel not Access

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

Grammar check not working

How do I use traffic lights in excel

matching contents #2

Exchange 2007 across account search

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...