Excel.exe

I have Office 2000 Pro and Windows 2000.
When I click Excel on the toolbar I get this message:  Excel.exe ha
generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need t
restart.

When I open in the SafeMode from Run the program opens immediately.
Why or what is causing the .exe errors?

Thanks

Helpji

--
helpji
helpjim's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3097

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

excel is a disease; run away while you still can

0
aaron.kempf (776)
1/30/2006 7:54:28 PM
The last time I got an error like this it was caused by a corrupt *.xlb
file--where excel stores your customized changes to any of the toolbars.

You could check if it is the toolbar file by:
close excel
windows search
search for *.xlb
(in hidden folders for hidden files, too)

Rename all the *.xlb files you find to *.xlbOLD

Then restart excel and see if that helps.

If it does, then rebuild any customized changes to the toolbar at your
convenience.

If it doesn't, then close excel and rename all those *.xlbOLD back to *.xlb.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0

Why does [group] appear after the filename in Excel 2003?
I upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 this morning. An Excel document I created yesterday in a shared network location that has never been touched by anyone but me is now opening with [Group] status. I need to activate Autofilter, but it is unavailable (greyed) on the Tools --> Filter menu. I also can't locate a definition for this setting or how to turn it off, nor do I have any idea why it is in this "group" mode. It is definitely not a shared workbook. Please help! You may have more than one sheets selected simoultaneously. Righclick a sheet tab and select ...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Show Excel in two separate instances/two monitors?
I've recently been upgraded to two monitors (one of the few things IT has done right around here!). But try as I might, I can't get two Excel (2003) workbooks to show in two separate instances so I can put one on each monitor! Any solutions? Ed Hi Ed, open 2 workbooks -- click the Maximize button (so you are in resize mode) --- drag a workbook by the titlebar to the second monitor... Warm Regards, Crystal * (: have an awesome day :) * MVP Access Remote Programming and Training strive4peace2006 at yahoo.com * Ed wrote: > I've recently been upgraded to t...

Adding new form to a MFC.exe application (how?)
Hi, I moved from VC6 to VC7.1 and most of the IDE has changed. I used to be able to add a new form bia RH clicking on the project (from ClassView) and then selecting new Form. Anyone knows how I can add a new form to my papplication under VC71? mtia I was not aware that 'forms' existed in VS6. Dialogs, yes. VS7 was designed by an idiot, who had no idea how people actually program. It is a prime example of incompetent design coupled with irresponsible design reviews. joe On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:36:19 +0000 (UTC), "E.T. Grey" <nebula@alpha-centauri.com> ...

How can I asign a number value to a text line in Excel?
tI have a Backgammon Club with Internal Club Rankings that are in Text. I want my members to report their wins - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place - in tournaments to my web site . I would like them to imput: their nickname, date of tournament, tournament Room #, tournament points played for, and host of the tournament. I would further like the calculation to display any change in Ranking as a text cell. Additionally, I want to show for the member, how many more points are needed to get to the next levle and what that (Text)level is. If there is a "what if" for this please advise. Ri...

Plot area of embedded charts unexplainably shrinks in Excel 2003 S
I am working on a large spreadsheet full of numerical data. It contains several dozen bar and line graphs embedded across several worksheets. I have a decent understanding of Excel and Excel graphs but do not use VBA. The problem I have with Excel is that it sometimes – and unpredictably – (vertically) shrinks the plot areas of the embedded graphs. This can happen between opening the document and printing it. Other times, the plot area would shrink if I click on the plot area with my mouse, and then click off on to a cell in the same worksheet. The chart area remains the same siz...

LSASS.EXE Consuming memory
The lsass.exe process continues to consume memory until all the memory is gone. The server is a Windows 2008/64 storage server with SP2. The server is strictly used as a file server. Is there a fix for this behavior? Currently I need to reboot the server once a day to reclaim the memory. You did say lsass.exe in your post lsass.exe ? Then you are infected and you should run your AV and other security tools. Lsass is another story since it is a system file -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and wil...

Is there a way to setup excel to prompt for a backup copy upon ex.
I want to automatically create a backup onto a disk each time I exit program. "sonny" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the Subject field. Please take advantage of the Message area, even for short inquiries. Thanks |:>) "sonny" wrote: > I am currently using 2000. Thanks "CyberTaz" wrote: > It depends on which version of Excel as to how. > > It is also preferred that the content of you request not be typed in the > Subject field. Ple...

Sounds with Excel
Hello Friends Is it possible and how can I do this task with ExcelXp: If the value of cell A1 on "my worksheet" in "my workbook" is "1"-play any sound, If cell A1 is empty-don't play sound. For the next cell on the same sheet B1: if B1=1- play sound different than the sound for the cell A1, if B1 is empty-don't play sound. If both cells A1=1 AND B1=1 play sound different than the sounds for cell A1 and cell B1. I'm running WindowsXP. Thank you. Hi Tim have a look at http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/tip87.htm Frank Tim wrote: > Hello Friends...

display countdown timer in Excel
I'd like to display (in Excel 2003) a countdown timer in a worksheet (either in a cell or a textbox or other control). I want the user to be able to see the clock tick down from say 20 seconds to 0 in one second increments (or decrements, I guess). Is there a function that will do this? If this is somethingVBA can handle better, I can post this question in the programming newsgroup. Thanks, Bert It has to be done through VBA. You could write code or have someone do it for you. That someone would be Bob Phillips who has a free downlaodable workbook with a Timer setup. http://...

Excel 2000
Hi! *First off:* I have created a spreadsheet that has a dynamic range an data validation. *Next:* i know i can add options to the 'dynamic range' and my dro down menu will add the option to its list. *Problem:* How can I make it so the user can add data into th validated data list/drop down menu rather than having the user addin it into the dynamic range? *Example:*this drop down menu indicates how often a system is updated weekly, monthly, etc. etc... i don't want to restrict it, so i want t make it so they can indicate their own time on how often those update occur. TIA -...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Excel or Access?
I have server data that is about 200-300 rows/records and includes abou 25 columns/fields. Coworkers have suggested that this data shoul reside in a database, such as Access, and then import/link to it fro Excel for reporting purposes. Does anyone have a recommendation/comment/suggestion on this? I a comfortable using Excel as my "database" for this data that will no grow much larger than it already is, and is easier for me to perfor the reporting in Excel simply on another sheet. Thanks! Ric -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Why fix what's not broken? ...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

What defines an advanced level of Excel?
I was wondering if somebody could help me with this. I was looking at applying for an office assitant job and it said I needed an advanced level of Excel. I have been using Excel for some time now, although I recently decided to do a short course starting from the basics to help identify what I may be missing in my knowledge. We didn't delve into complex formulars but covered all our basics and gave our selves the background knowledge to explor further. I am all over the place, such as inputing data, retreiving data from sources such as SQL server, text files and so on. Formatt...

Templates for Excel 2003
Hey y'all, Is the only way to get templates now through Office On Line rather than a direct download that works on my PC? I don't want anything to do with Office On Line. I don't want to have to download 2 Active X scripts just to get a template. I tried downloading one directly, but I got a message that indicated that I needed the Active X crap. Bah! TIA, Mike W. ...

problem while using excel
hi, exel sheet displaying page number in background in each and every cell of my sheet in background And displaying message first while opening the sheet as "margins doesn't fit can you please help me with this issue?? View > Normal -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200786 While i am using excel, when i try to copy and paste words, the program becomes very sluggish. very laggy and slow. how do i resolve this? You probably have a lot of formulae, go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>CALCULATION and change it to manual, you can then calculate the workbook by pressing F9, take a look ...

Weed out words using Excel??
Is there a way to automatically isolate an appearance of a word in list of words, eg I have a full dictionary of words, and I want to end up wit a list where the word (for example) "log" appears. So if the big lis contains: logarithm chair table catalogue (each on a sepearte line) The list I would want would be: logarithm catalogue (leaving out the others) Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have a look at Data / Filter / Autofilter. Andy. PS I'd love to know where you got your text file from!! "sensible >" <<sensible.148ne7@exc...

Potential Identity loss issue with hidden email addresses in Excel!
I received a spreadsheet attachment yesterday and found a mailto:(my address) embedded in a cell under a text string. It was evident in a tooltip that appeared when cell was hovered-over. I told the sender who now says that many of her spreadsheets - used to handle group memberships - have such hidden addresses. The sheet I received was a reworking in Excel (not sure which version) of one of mine that was from a fresh, new OpenOffice spreadsheet I had emailed earlier. No sign of the embedding in my OO 'sheet, whether viewed in OO or in Excel 2000. It seems to have crept in on her mach...

Fix poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint?
How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to powerpoint? EXCEL 2007 Use Paste as Picture. If you check out:- http://www.pierrefondes.com/ - item number 74 all of these items were copied as above and quality is fine. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. "Keith" wrote: > How do I get around the poor image quality when pasting from excel to > powerpoint? In my experience, the way to fix poor image quality in Office 2007 is to reinstall and use Office 2003. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier...

Cells with same text but excel think it's different?
I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different. I checked format, space and even '. can someone please help? thanks. Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O) -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84F83A62-88D7-4292-9B2E-B8F34B737B48@mic...

Excel doubt
Hi, I want to set up a sheet such that others can edit the cell values but dont want them to overwrite the formatting/data validation in the target sheet. That is end users have the capability to do typing in the cell or do a paste special value but cannot paste other cell directly. Please suggest how I shud go about the same. Regards, Hari Hari, Unlock the cells (Format - Cells - Protection) that users are to be able to change. Then protect the sheet (Tools - Protection - Protect Sheet). Users will be able to type into the unlocked cells, but not change the formatting (unless they paste...

"Ghost" sheet objects returned while using Excel.Application
I am trying to parse a spreadsheet using JavaScript and I'm finding "ghost" Sheet objects in the file. It seems that if the user copied and renamed the file and then deleted some tabs that those tabs are still accessible programmitcally. If I view the excel file in Excel or try to load it into SQL Server then the "ghost" tabs don't show up. But if I read it using the Excel.Application in JavaScript then they show up. Here's an excerpt of what I'm doing: var wb = XLS.WorkBooks.Open(fname); var ws = XLS.Sheets; var cell = null; var e = new Enumerator(XLS....

Buying Digital Signature to Bypass Security in Excel
My Excel sheet is being used by many users and I have had way too man calls about not being able to "Enable Macros." Their security level i set on high. It's difficult explaining to every user how to set th security level. So.... Is buying digital signature my solution? If so, where is the bes place to do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi you don't need to buy them. You could create your own digital signature. have a look at the Excel VBA help for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > My Excel sheet is being used by many users a...

Excel Tutorials
Hello, Newbie here. Any advice on which online Excel tutorials are deemed best by those on this NG. Thanks! Bert Morris don't know if these are all still valid, but they have been recommended in the past http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line_excel.htm http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/ http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm http://einstein.cs.uri.edu/tutorials/csc101/pc/excel97/excel.html http://www.bized.ac.uk/timeweb/excel.htm -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Bert Morris" <bertmorris@erols.com> ...