Excel wont recognise date format

I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An
example of this format is
5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this
column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont
recognise this as a date. How can I work around this?

Thanks for your kind advice.

Regards

0
effendi1 (2)
5/16/2007 10:47:40 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Frendi,

It sound like the *Date* is actually time try:

=INT(A1+0)
--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com
Replace@mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"Fendi Baba" <effendi@epitome.com.sg> wrote in message
>I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An
> example of this format is
> 5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this
> column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont
> recognise this as a date. How can I work around this?
>
> Thanks for your kind advice.
>

> Regards

0
sandymann2 (1054)
5/16/2007 11:06:16 AM
=DATEVALUE(LEFT(A1,10))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Fendi Baba" <effendi@epitome.com.sg> wrote in message news:1179312460.515708.142950@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
|I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An
| example of this format is
| 5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this
| column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont
| recognise this as a date. How can I work around this?
|
| Thanks for your kind advice.
|

| Regards

0
nicolaus (2022)
5/16/2007 1:04:19 PM
On May 16, 9:04 pm, "Niek Otten" <nicol...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> =DATEVALUE(LEFT(A1,10))
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Fendi Baba" <effe...@epitome.com.sg> wrote in messagenews:1179312460.515708.142950@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> |I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An
> | example of this format is
> | 5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this
> | column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont
> | recognise this as a date. How can I work around this?
> |
> | Thanks for your kind advice.
> |

> | Regards

Thanks.

I will give it a go. At the moment I also face the the problme that
excel tries to recognise the first date portion as days instead of
months.

0
effendi1 (2)
5/17/2007 12:31:12 AM
You probably have a .csv file. If so, rename it a .txt file. On opening, you'll get a wizard in which you can specify the correct
date format.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Fendi Baba" <effendi@epitome.com.sg> wrote in message news:1179361872.810582.175620@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
| On May 16, 9:04 pm, "Niek Otten" <nicol...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
| > =DATEVALUE(LEFT(A1,10))
| >
| > --
| > Kind regards,
| >
| > Niek Otten
| > Microsoft MVP - Excel
| >
| > "Fendi Baba" <effe...@epitome.com.sg> wrote in messagenews:1179312460.515708.142950@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
| >
| > |I export a set of data from SQL and have a column showing dates. An
| > | example of this format is
| > | 5/13/2007 6:19:07 PM which is May, 13 2007. I need to format this
| > | column to show just the date without the time element. but excel wont
| > | recognise this as a date. How can I work around this?
| > |
| > | Thanks for your kind advice.
| > |
| > |
| > | Regards
| > |

| Thanks.
|
| I will give it a go. At the moment I also face the the problme that
| excel tries to recognise the first date portion as days instead of
| months.

0
nicolaus (2022)

number rounding in MS Excel

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Dates #9

Filters in Excel 2003

Public Folder link to Excel File

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Qrp Date functions

Fractions Number format

date tracking

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

Short time vs short date

Budget Wont Save
I have have Money 2002 for awhile and have never been able to save a budget and start a new one. I decided to start over with a new file, but once I get all my info back in there, it still won't save. MS has no info in the KB about this. Anyone else have this issue? ...

Date Calculation

Macro

date modified

Date function quit working