Excel webquery questions

I have about 500 URL's, which I want to use in webqueries.
I have two problems.

PROBLEM 1
^^^^^^^^^

Every URL returns a page with tables, and I know which table I need (for
every page the same table)

As an example, this is one of the URLS's.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=&s=wa&ag=&t=res&snf=ras&pm=&tb=&u=FURNISSDALE&px=&cat=&minlandsize=&minbed=4&maxbed=&parking=&p=10&o=p

I need the cel, displaying the first offer.
This webquery works, and returns:

----------

GREENFIELDSThe Real Mccoy
$195,000
4 bedroom House
Located in the suburb of Greenfields. Close to the future train station, the
bus station and the Greenfields Shopping center. This home has a lot of
promises. It features four bedrooms, two bathrooms, lounge and family
area...
New ReleaseStreet Map property details>>

----------

I only need the cell displaying the price $ 195,000
Is it possible, to import only that value to a certain cel in my excelsheet,
not the rest?
The value I need appears in B2, when I let the query run in A1.

I have 600 queries, from which I need to get only that first value (in this
case $ 195,000) in a column.

PROBLEM 2
^^^^^^^^^

I have a list of all the (600) URL's I need for all my queries, is it
possible to import those in one go, or is it possible to automaticly create
all the queries, when I provide the list of URL's?

Thanks for your help,
G.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I did not find that the url returned the same one at the top as you show...
But, you import and then use a macro or a formula using INDIRECT to fetch
the value needed to another sheet. You can use FIND within a macro.

You shouldn't need 500 separate urls. Just a list of the common denominators
and a macro to loop through the list>get the data> and then get the next one
to go next to the one on your list.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"GF" <grams.home@home.nl> wrote in message
> I have about 500 URL's, which I want to use in webqueries.
> I have two problems.
>
> PROBLEM 1
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Every URL returns a page with tables, and I know which table I need (for
> every page the same table)
>
> As an example, this is one of the URLS's.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=&s=wa&ag=&t=res&snf=ras&pm=&tb=&u=FURNISSDALE&px=&cat=&minlandsize=&minbed=4&maxbed=&parking=&p=10&o=p

> I need the cel, displaying the first offer.
> This webquery works, and returns:
>
> ----------
>
> GREENFIELDSThe Real Mccoy
> $195,000
> 4 bedroom House
> Located in the suburb of Greenfields. Close to the future train station,
the
> bus station and the Greenfields Shopping center. This home has a lot of
> promises. It features four bedrooms, two bathrooms, lounge and family
> area...
> New ReleaseStreet Map property details>>
>
> ----------
>

> I only need the cell displaying the price $ 195,000
> Is it possible, to import only that value to a certain cel in my
excelsheet,
> not the rest?
> The value I need appears in B2, when I let the query run in A1.
>
> I have 600 queries, from which I need to get only that first value (in
this
> case $ 195,000) in a column.
>

> PROBLEM 2
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> I have a list of all the (600) URL's I need for all my queries, is it
> possible to import those in one go, or is it possible to automaticly
create
> all the queries, when I provide the list of URL's?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> G.

0
Don
1/18/2005 8:16:43 PM
Don Guillett wrote:
> I did not find that the url returned the same one at the top as you
> show... But, you import and then use a macro or a formula using
> INDIRECT to fetch the value needed to another sheet. You can use FIND
> within a macro.
>
> You shouldn't need 500 separate urls. Just a list of the common
> denominators and a macro to loop through the list>get the data> and
> then get the next one to go next to the one on your list.

(I see the page has been updated, that's why I need that query :-)
The table I need now is containing the following information:

Spotlight On Value
Under Contract / Under Offer
$175,000
20 GAVARNIE WAY, COODANUP 4 bedroom House
Sack the Landlord ! Come and look at this 4 bedroom x 2 bathroom family
home. Open plan living area, kitchen/dining/family. Patio at the rear with
plenty of room for gardens and kids to play.

from which I need the $175,000 value

How would I create that loop you are talking about?
I have all the URL's, that is no problem.
But I have no clue on how to create a loop in Excel?
Can someone explain me?

When you say I need to get the data via INDIRECT and FIND on another sheet,
do you mean it is not possible to do it without that extra intermediate
sheet?

G.

Time question
I need a formula that would figure out what time it would have to be to complete a 40 hour week The information I have to plug in is this. Current total hours - 37 hrs 32 mins Current time is - 12:39 pm What time does it have to be to complete 40 hours? Seems like it should be simple but.... -- gueyo A1: 37:32:00 B1: 40:00:00 C1: 12:39 PM D1: =C1+(B1-A1) -- "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB (www.MadRocketScientist.com) Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you. "gueyo" wrote: > I need a formula that w...

excel VBA

Need help with Excel Form & ComboBox Tutorial
At http://www.excel-vba.com/v-forms-controls.htm I have followed instructions... my code on the form is below but it won't run... I've marked the error... Can anybody give me any help with this? thanks Code is below-------------- Private Sub cmdBtnSubmit_Click() shReport.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub cmdCityCancel_Click() cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Activate() shParameterst.Activate '<-----Run Time Error 424 - Object Required...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

Excel Time Problem
I exported a file from a telephone switch reporting system as a "tab separated text" file, because when I export the data in Excel I have to deal with merged cells and other formatting problems. I have a couple of columns that have time values like 160:02:05 for logged in time, and 34:16:46 as the waiting dime� Both are time �DURATIONS� or time in a state. I used the Format, Cell, custom and [ss] to get the duration value to seconds, and I get 123406 and 576125 respectively. I then use these numbers in a calculation typically like 1338 / (576125 - 123406) and I get 219 as the an...

Excel 2000: File >> New menu command causes application crash
This is occurring on only one machine on a network! After saving an emailed Excel template to a standard network location for Microsoft templates, when selecting File >> New this installation of Excel 2000 crashes ("Excel not responding" on Close program dialog). On other machines there is no problem. Have "repaired" Microsoft Office using that option from the installation CD-ROM, have removed Excel from Office installation, rebooted and reinstalled Excel. No change on the problem behaviour. Everything else appears to be working just fine in this copy of Excel. We ...

excel #76
i have two different spreadsheets containing two columns, column A contains reference numbers (both sheets will have the same refernces) column B will contain the amounts which may differ on each sheet. i need to run a compare program to identify all amounts that differ between the spreadsheets for the same refernce number. for eample sheet 1 reference no amount 111 120.00 112 345.90 113 122.50 sheet 2 reference no amount 111 0.00 112 345.90 113 100.00 how can i find out the amounts and refernces...

EXCEL.exe has generated errors
For an knowned reason, the following message recently started to display when clicking on EXCEL on an Windows 2000 system. EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will needed to restart the program. An error log is being created. (OK) Attempts have been made to repair, deinstall and reinstall Office 2000. However, the above message still displays with trying to bring up EXCEL. Can anyone help? This WebPage by Chip Pearson provides a good place to troubleshoot. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm HTH Paul --...

Excel 2007 dates and conditional formats
Can anyone please tell me why I can not use a conditional format (<>=) to identify if a date is greater or smaller then another. Everytime I try it, Excel does it right in the first column but misses by 2 days in all following. It also appears to have problems with the years. Example: Date of propposed compleation of a task is 10/10/07; if the date of actual completion is 10/10/07 or sooner, turn GREEN. If the date of completion is 10/11/07 or older, turn RED. Can anyone help?? Regards Mary Hi Mary, First thing to check: What does 10/11/07 mean? November 10 1907? November 10 2007? O...

Only 1 taskbar button when i open 2 excel documents
Hi all. When i open 2 excel documents i have only 1 taskbar button on the taskbar even though i did not choose the option to group similar taskbar buttons under taskbar properties. Hence when i want to switch between the 2 documents i need to go to window and select them. Hence how do i solve this so that i can have 2 taskbar buttons of the excel documents on the taskbar? Thks in advance. Tools>Options>View, check Windows In taskbar -- HTH Bob Phillips "inenewbl" <inenewbl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F715432-2EB2-47AC-B737-56D63F37537A@mi...

how do i create a quiz using excel?
hey guys...i badly need to make a quiz using excel,,,i got no clue how to do it. the quiz will be a simple one, no drop downs and should display the scores after the quiz is taken.... please help! Andruu, What type of quiz are you looking to create? What format are the answers? Numbers? Text? One suggestion..... 1. Add questions *What is 2 x 2?* 2. Assign cells for the user to insert their answers. (format cells as text/numbers etc) *Cell: B2* 3. Either in hidden cells, or on a seperate sheet, put the correct answers 4. Assign a point value for each correct answer (can be different for ...

Creating a new document from a multiple paged Excel document
Can I save only one page of an existing Excel multiple page document? If so, how? Thanks to anyone that can take the time to answer/instruct. Right-click the sheet tab that you want, and hit Move or Copy. Choose "Create a copy" and then, from the dropdown, choose "new book". **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ ******************************** "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBBDECC6-2432-41D4-99F2-C1EF10B1EC1F@microsoft.com... > Can I save only one page of...

What does the "E" in 5E
I am used MS EXCEL to perform a scatter plot. When the information was graph, Excel provided me with the formula 5E - 71e^0.085x. What does the "E" in 5E mean? The E is the way Excel represents 10 to the power. So 1.2E3 is 1.2X10^3 or 1200 and 1.2E-3 is 1.2 x 10^-3 or 0.0012. "College Professor" -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "College student" <College student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F20E8A3-BDC6-42E5-A5D0-508D57C40F42@microsoft.com... >I am used MS EXCEL to perform a scatte...

Last Question regarding ITems
I am unclear as to how I should take care of this item... Take for example I order a carton or case of items by I only sell these items by the single item. So in a case there is 36 or 48 or 60 of one item. How Should I enter this into RMS? I want to be able to buy 1 cs and recieve the inventory and have RMS automatically make it so that I have 36, 48 or 60 of them available. parent = case child = individual like items within case search help file for "parent child" "Pr0ject" <Pr0ject@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9E706E8-75B1-4E64-ACCF-72EAE...

2 questions about Exchange Server 2000
1. How, or where, do I find out where Service Pack level I have installed? I see that I downloaded SP3, but I can't tell if it was ever installed. 2. Clients have Outlook 2000. Inbox is open. Last message is selected. No new mail. Then, if you click on a different message, you get the "new mail has arrived..." message. It seems to only deliver new mail when you change messages. Any thoughts? 1. In Exchange System Manager, highlight the Servers container. It should show you all servers in the right pane along with their service pack level. 2. Sounds like something is b...

Excel 2007 exits without asking if I want to save
Hi All, I just started using Excel 2007 recently. I notice it exits when I keys in Alt-F4, without confirming if I want to save, even if I had made changes to the workbook. Is there an option which I can set and make Excel 2007 verify if the user, wants to save before exiting? This is the default in earlier Excel versions. Thanks for help. have you recently run a macro in which you forgot to turn on Application.DisplayAlerts =3D True? susan On Nov 24, 5:25=A0am, ch <c...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I just started using Excel 200...

Scrolling in Excel
Please help My spreadsheet has a 'frozen' row at the top containing column headers, when I scroll down through my rows below, excel scrolls down 3 rows at a time. Now because my data in the rows below is in sections (1 section contains 5 rows) sometimes I end up viewing 2 different sections (half of one and half of the one below) at the same time. Is there anyway you can instruct excel to only jump down so many lines when you scroll down? Many thanks -- Bensum Change the mouse wheel settings in the Control Panel of the operating system you use. Bensum wrote...

excel opens under task bar
hi, I find that excel always opens under the taskbar. is there some way to 'reset' the opening position to the screen dimensions + taskbar size so it opens below ? it seems to do this on XP pro and 98 SE from time to time. thanks, kd ...

Pocket Excel
I have a reasonably complicated excel quoting document that contains various formulae. Is there anyway I can check to see if it will work on Excel Pocket (PPC 2003) before I go out and buy a PDA. This will be it's primary function. Is there some kind of emulator or reduced down version of Excel I can use? Hi, The PocketPC 2003 SDK is available to download from MS, I'm not sure, but I was told (by someone I can't remember), that it may have the PPC2003 emulator in it. If so, you should be able to use that. You may also need to download ActiveSync 3.7 to be able to upload...

Copy and paste from Excel to GridView
Hello, is it possible to copy and paste values taken from an Excel spreedsheet into the grid of a GridView in a ASP.NET page? Luigi On May 21, 4:29=A0pm, Luigi <Lu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > is it possible to copy and paste values taken from an Excel spreedsheet i= nto > the grid of a GridView in a ASP.NET page? > > Luigi You mean from a single cell or entire table? The standard gridview control is a data-bound control for rendering data. It has no paste function. To copy and paste values from Excel you can use a separated textbox...

using a macro question revisited
Concerned that the thread was bypassed after going 4 deep, I have reposted it with full includes. The way the macro works as currently written, it can return to multiple cells; but in this instance, I just need it to return either the sum of 2 randomly generated numbers between 1 and 6 (simulating a dice roll), or a single randomly generated number between 1 and 6, and then have the cell be stable after that is done (not constantly recalculating with every chnage made to the spreadsheet). "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:uBokaQVAGHA.2...

Simple question
I have an xls sheet that always print 6 copies. When ever I want to print, I have to change it to 1 copy. It's only this one xls sheet. Everything else prints 1 copy like it's suppose to. It's not the printer settings. Like I said, it's just this one xls sheet. Can someone tell me how to make it print 1 copy only and then stay as 1 as the defualt. I have made many changes to the sheet and saved it many times, but it always defaults to 6 copies. Very Strange. Thanks in advance. Phil If maybe as simple as this, as each page can have the page count se individua...

Few Basic Questions
I am a brand user new to Microsoft RMS as well as C-store business so have some fairly basic questions (if I can get myself up to speed with FAQ etc, feel free to pass the pointer). About to lease (leading to purchase) a C-store where I am investor and will rely on my partner to operate it. Evaluating POS options to bring operational transparency and efficiency as store is run with manual register today. <> Best place to find documentation / config guides? I have self-installed 60-day demo version RMS on two test PCs which works fine but product documentation included is path...

XML and Excel
Hi, I am not familiar with Excel 2003's XML capabilities and looking for more information. Is there a book or website somewhere that will provide some introductory materials on this subject? I am particularly interested in Excel's exporting and importing capabilities of XML files. Thanks in advance, VT There's information on the Microsoft site, for example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/xmloffice/default.aspx http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288215 vtisix wrote: > Hi, > > I am not familiar with Excel 2003's XML capabilities and lookin...

Bug in excel fundamantal add-function
Hi Where can I report a bug in excel? OK I try this group. Try this A1 = -621,2 A2 = 2 A3 = 1 A4 = -540,2 A5 = 175 A6 = 986,4 A7 = SUM(A1:A6) A7 must be 3 - but try to have 13 decimals...!!! is this a BUG? I think so Using Danish XP and danish 2002 SP3 No, it's not a bug. It's a "feature" of XL using IEEE double precision floating point math. Most numbers can't be exactly represented in a finite number of binary digits, just as 1/3 can't be exactly represented by a finite number of decimal digits. You can use ROUND() to round to zero if it's necessary. ...