Excel VBA - SQL to .dbf date problem - GETTING DESPERATE

Hi,

I've been trying to do some SQL work in VBA to allow people to change
database fields more easily.
I managed to:
extract the data from the file,
change it in excel,
add a new record where the user adds a new row,
start populating this field (with default values as only certain
values are changed in the view the user sees),
crash when trying to populate a date field.

At some point I'm going to try deleting fields (all efforts so far
have failed) but for now, I'm trying to get this date field updated so
that the remaining fields will populate themselves.

Using the UPDATE statement I tried each of the following:

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = #" & DStamp & _
                    "# WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = "
& Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = #" & Format(DStamp, "dd-mmm-
yyyy") & _
                    "# WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = "
& Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = '" & DStamp & _
                    "' WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = "
& Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = '" & Format(DStamp, "dd-mmm-
yyyy") & _
                    "' WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = "
& Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = " & DStamp & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = " & Format(DStamp, "dd-mmm-
yyyy") & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = #" & Format(DStamp, "mm/dd/
yy")  & _
                    "# WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = "
& Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = """ & Format(DStamp, "mm/dd/
yy") & """" & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = LUPDATE(prjbat)* & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = sysdate" & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

 sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = {ts " & DString & "}" & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
Jobno & ")"

The format of the dstamp field in the table is mm/dd/yy. I also tried
reading dstamp in in both date and string format, including a date
format which removes the time element ( DATE(year,month,day) ). I just
want a date stamp showing the latest date so am happy for a SQL
function that sticks in the current date.

I'm going insane.
And the next field along is time so I'm sure I'll struggle again.

0
JEErasmus (1)
6/29/2007 12:05:11 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

There are two ways to specify dates unambiguously in VFP (and VFPOLEDB)
code.
Either
DATE(2007,6,29)
or
{^2007/06/29}

The VB # date indentifier means nothing to VFP. Or rather, in VFP # equals
<>, Not Equal To
If your using parameters, try preceding the parameter name with ?, or build
parameter object.

-Anders

"Erasmus" <JEErasmus@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = LUPDATE(prjbat)* & _
>                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
> sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = sysdate" & _
>                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
> sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = {ts " & DString & "}" & _
>                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
> The format of the dstamp field in the table is mm/dd/yy. I also tried
> reading dstamp in in both date and string format, including a date
> format which removes the time element ( DATE(year,month,day) ). I just
> want a date stamp showing the latest date so am happy for a SQL
> function that sticks in the current date.
>
> I'm going insane.
> And the next field along is time so I'm sure I'll struggle again.

Anders
6/29/2007 2:20:50 PM
"Erasmus" <JEErasmus@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> And the next field along is time so I'm sure I'll struggle again.

Hi Erasmus,

To go further with what Anders said, VFP datetime values can be written like
"... Where DateTime = {^2007/06/29 10:30:59}" or "...Where DateTime =
Datetime(2007, 6, 29, 10, 30, 59)" or again as a parameter. The parameter is
perhaps the simplest because you just let the OLE DB data provider translate
between VB and FoxPro.

--
Cindy Winegarden
cindy@cindywinegarden.com

VFP OLE DB: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190232.aspx
VFP ODBC: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190233.aspx

0
cindy3724 (3)
6/29/2007 5:17:11 PM
I would suggest to you that you are going through too many steps.

If all you want to do for your users is to add records and change values in
existing records,
in a dbf file,
then most of your 'machinations' are really 'extra' work.

You have some other choices.

1.  open the file natively as a dbf file IN EXCEL.  This presupposes the
file format for the dbf
is in fox2x file format. Make your changes there, save it in native dbf file
format within Excel.  No ODBC required.
2.  Use VFP9 IDE, make a wizard to build an app for you.
3.  Use another program - I'd suggest DBF Viewer 2000 - see
http://www.dbf2002.com/  for more info.
Give it and the dbf table to your users. It handles ALL dbf types, and I do
mean ALL.
4.  your dstamp string, as others mentioned, is not properly formed for VFP.
Sure - you have  mm/dd/yy listed, but there are variations of this.
Prior to STRICTDATE implementations in VFP, you could have made your dstamp
variable look like this {mm/dd/yy}- surround by curly braces, and if you
used SQL STATEMENTS into
an odbc connection, it would work.  Now since STRICTDATE has been
implemented, you have to reform
your dstamp variable to look more like {^YYYY/MM/DD} - again with the curly
braces.
5.  There is no native TIME format in VFP - so you can either make a column
with TYPE DATETIME, or
use a character column that holds the TIME value that you want.
6.  If you are an experienced VB 6 developer, you might want to consider
changing over to VFP 9 and using it
as a development tool.

Mondo Regards [Bill]
--
===================
William Sanders / EFG  VFP / mySql / MS-SQL

> [...]
>
>  sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = LUPDATE(prjbat)* & _
>                     " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
>  sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = sysdate" & _
>                     " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
>  sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = {ts " & DString & "}" & _
>                     " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " &
> Jobno & ")"
>
> The format of the dstamp field in the table is mm/dd/yy. I also tried
> reading dstamp in in both date and string format, including a date
> format which removes the time element ( DATE(year,month,day) ). I just
> want a date stamp showing the latest date so am happy for a SQL
> function that sticks in the current date.
>
> I'm going insane.
> And the next field along is time so I'm sure I'll struggle again.

wsanders (1)
6/29/2007 9:17:34 PM
I have run into trouble with that approach, finding that in some cases at
least, Excel datetimes are stored with fractional seconds.

"Cindy Winegarden" <cindy@cindywinegarden.com> wrote in message
> "Erasmus" <JEErasmus@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> And the next field along is time so I'm sure I'll struggle again.
>
> Hi Erasmus,
>
> To go further with what Anders said, VFP datetime values can be written
> like "... Where DateTime = {^2007/06/29 10:30:59}" or "...Where DateTime =
> Datetime(2007, 6, 29, 10, 30, 59)" or again as a parameter. The parameter
> is perhaps the simplest because you just let the OLE DB data provider
> translate between VB and FoxPro.
>

> --
> Cindy Winegarden
> cindy@cindywinegarden.com
>
> VFP OLE DB: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190232.aspx
> VFP ODBC: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb190233.aspx

0
nospam4109 (129)
7/1/2007 9:11:15 PM
is DStamp always equal to today?

sql_string = "UPDATE prjbat SET dstamp = Date()" & _
                    " WHERE (batchno = " & batchno & " AND jobno = " & _
Jobno & ")"

Bye, Olaf.

0
Olaf

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Exchange update problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Excel 2007

SQL deadlock problem

Excel not Access

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Border problems

Convert date
How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/jdates.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany gary wrote: > How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a > Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > > For example: 09-13-2003 to 2003256 On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:24:57 -0700, "gary" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I convert a date in this format (mm-dd-yyyy) to a >Julian-date (i.e., YYYYDDD)? > >For exa...

formating date from general2 custom
I have an input xls file with the date but like this: Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 I need to have just following format dd/mm/yyyy I tried to format it using Format->Cells->Date or Format->Cells- >Custom but this is failing. Nothing changed. Any ideas? Thanks for the help. Vlad <vladimir.vaynshtok@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1013b138-352b-4799-81ba-9508b74a1850@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have an input xls file with the date but like this: > > Wed May 14 00:00:00 GMT-05:00 2008 > > I need to have just following format > > d...

Font dosen't revert back to original after typing in date
Example I n my text I type I have December 28th The th automatically reduces to a much smaller font and once you hit the sapce bar to continue it reverts back to the larger font. It only does this some of times, why is this being so inconsistent?. I refortmated my comp. last week and when I reinstalled office I was hoping this inconsistent problem would have been resloved, but no 2nd question please. When I post a question in "discussion group" and check the box "Notify me of Replies" I never receice a reply to my question I then have to go back to ...

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception