Excel slow to load blank workbook on startup

Hi
Excel 2003

Excel opens quickly to display the program frame but with the grey
background instead of the cells of the initial worksheet.

About 5-10 seconds later it loads the worksheet.

It might be loading it from our companies slow server.

What is the standard workbook that it's trying to load? What is it called?
Is there path to it in Options? If there is I can't see it :-(

Hope you can help me.

Cheers
Dave F.

0
df6240 (8)
5/22/2007 2:49:16 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel isn't like MSWord.  There are no standard workbooks that have to be opened
when excel opens.

Each user does have the option of adding any workbooks he or she wants in a
couple of locations.

One is a folder called XLStart -- use windows start button|Search to find it.

Another is user selectable via:
tools|options|general tab
in the "At startup, open all files in:" box.

One of the things that excel does is load the excel toolbar file.

You may want to find that and change the name to see if that's what's causing
the slowdown.

Close excel
Windows start button|Search
look for *.xlb
in hidden folders

Rename them all to *.xlbOLD and restart excel to see if it helps.

If it doesn't help, rename them back to *.xlb.

If it does, delete those *.xlbOLD files and recreate any customized toolbars.

If it didn't work, then the next step will be doing some detective work.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sorting in excel charts
I have a chart in excel 2007 I want to sort rows 1-5 decending and rows 6-11 decending but when I select just that much and click to sort it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart I cannot reproduce the problem. When I select 5 cells out of 11 in a column Excel 2007 does not automatically change the selection. -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu ...

how do i add a quadratic trendline to excel
i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? im using windows XP home edition Chart|Add Trendline select a polynomial of order 2 then click on the Options tab and request that Excel display the formula. Alternately =LINEST(ydata,xdata^{1,2}) will give you the quadratic coefficients in a worksheet. Jerry moseichuk007 wrote: > i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it > seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? > im...

Excel VBA Macro
Hello, I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" Please advise. Thanks Sheela Sheela, It appears correct. Although personally I would use & instead of + when concatenating. Sheela wrote: > Hello, > > I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: > > Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" > > Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" > > Please advise. Thanks > > Sheela -- Cheers Andy...

Excel password #3
I forgot the password for my excel file. I have tried some programs such as Accent Excel password recovery, advance office password recovery. Neither did work. Sang. Well, your options are to either remember the password or find a recovery program that works for you. No guarantees - if you picked a really good password it will be tough to break it. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Sang-Wook...

Excel caused an invalid page fault in module EXCEL:EXE at 0137:300
w'95 obtain this error message when opening Excel. However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? Thanks dgb Hi do you get this error in all cases?. If yes probably a re-install could help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dgb wrote: > w'95 > obtain this error message when opening Excel. > However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a > problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? > Thanks > dgb ...

Question on Excel 2002
I am attempting to use objects from the control toolbox (e.g. chec boxes), but I do not appear to have the "format control" option when right click on the object (an option available on the previous versio of Excel). Does anyone know if this can be added or alternate way t select this, or if such functionality now requires VBA code. Thank for you help -- case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- caser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1652 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thr...

excel wont open file #2
I am trying to open a excel file, but a message comes up saying th file is corrupt ,is there anyway i can open i -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do I change the size of Value Axis Title box for an Excel Cha.
The title box cannot be sized. I must reduce the font to very small to prevent truncating the title. I would have thought I could drag the box to the size I wanted but I do not get the chance to do so. Instead of a Title, you can use a Text Box: Select the Chart Type the text you want in the Title Press the Enter key A text box will appear in the centre of the chart Drag it to the location you want it, and format/resize as desired. If you prefer, you can link the text box to a worksheet cell, and display its text: Select the chart Type an equal sign Click on the cell you want to link Pr...

Outlook hangs at startup #2
All machines on the network have been working properly. Yesterday, 3 Windows XP Pro had Outlook 2000 hang on opening. The splash stays up with the Outlook window behind it but closes after about 1+ minutes. Sometimes it just hangs and I have to end program because it shows that it is not responding. I receive no error messages. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it on 1 machine with the same results. I looked at at the processes when starting Outlook and Outlook.exe starts and then goes to 0% after a few seconds. I have done a complete virus scan with nothin found using the lat...

how to use excel to do random sampling
I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do this? if your sample is between a1:a30 and your sample between 0 & 1. in B1 type =Rand(a1) and copy and paste the formula to B30. if your numbers are larger than 1 then use =Rand(a1)*100. Rand() gives you random sample. Nikki "stats" wrote: > I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random > samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do > this? With, or without, ...

Initial WorkBook Name
Normally, when Excel starts, the first workbook is named "Book1". If you run a second instance of Excel, you get "Book2" and so on. If you stop the first instance and start a new one, you get "Book1" again. We have a situation where when Excel starts, and there are no other instances running based upon Task Manager, we get things such as Book61, Book4, Book?. How is this initial value determined? Is there something "left" behind from other instances of Excel that could be causing it? Eventually, the system just goes plain crazy and we have ...

Excel Files Won't Open From Shortcut
The title's misleading but I couldn't find a way to express it succinctly. If I have 2 Excel windows open, with one or more workbooks within each window, and I click on an Excel file-name in Windows Explorer or on a shortcut to an Excel file-name, nothing happens. If I close both Excel windows and try it, the file will open. Or if I go to Files, Open, and Browse to the file name it will open. This is both new and a pain in the rear. As recently as 3 months ago I could open six or eight Excel files at the blink of an eye, from Windows Explorer or from shortcuts. What change...

multi formulas in excel
Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the formula I am using example: =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but what I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives me -66.7% I need the answser to be positive, example 66.7 =1-C4/C3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "the_catster" <the_catster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0710DB8F-C669-4BFF-99F2-93E46850ACEA@microsoft.com... > Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the > formula I am using e...

Office 2011 Excel Beta 3+ cell right-click context menu won't work
I've been running the beta versions of Mac Office 2011. Up until Beta 3, I could right-click in an Excel cell and get the context menu as expected. Now, starting with Beta 3 and into Beta 4, I have lost that functionality. Has anyone experienced this? I can't find a preference/setting that would bring this feature back. This is very frustrating and I can't figure out what may have changed to cause this. On 7/14/10 10:17 AM, in article 8980e35e-864d-491e-a5d9-d11a494da5aa@u4g2000prn.googlegroups.com, "Michael Barry" <4mjbarry@gmail.com> wrote: > I've be...

Help! Excel freeze the whole thing when start.
Excel problem in my office has been constantly bugging me. Now that one of the computer can even start Excel, when we try to start it, it gives something like "resource is not enough" message and then just dies there. We can even fix it by removing it and reinstall it. Any one has idea deal with this? Many thanks in advance. Pete Try cleaning up your windows temp folder. And if that didn't help, try searching for your *.xlb file. It's where excel stores your customized toolbars. Windows Start button|Find|files check out the size of that file. If it's huge, try r...

Excel guru's Urgent help
I have a bunch of charts created in Excel97 that are driven from pivot tables on another sheet. When the workbook is opened in Excel 2000 everything works fine except when you change criteria causing a macro to change the pivot tables, the source data range does not automatically reset as it does in 97. I have to manually click on Source Data, click in the pivot table, and the range is reset, fixing the chart. I don't know much VBA and I would like to hang a sub at the end of the macro that would automatically reset the source range. Can someone help with the script? I cr...

Import information to Excel
I have a link to transfer data from an internet resource into my excel sheet. I can only grab block of information from the webpage. Is there a way to specify the inforation I want instead of having to link the whole block of data? The reason I'm asking is when I link a block, several column of data will be imported to Excel in one column. I use "Text to Columns", but that won't help next time I refresh the data. Thanks. Jason in <get external data> if you want the tables only you can specify. If you want only one table then also you can specify. Only proble...

slow file open dialog box
File open dialog box in Excel 2003 and Word 2003 on W2K machine is unbearably slow when attempting to access folders on network drive. Doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue since accessing same folders in Explorer is almost instantaneous. This is the only machine running Office 2003, but other W2K machines running Office 2000 do not have this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Paul You might find the answer in the following Microsoft Knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822621 "Paul O'Brien" wrote: &...

Can you create a check box or radio button in Excel?
Yep. Try showing the Forms toolbar. There's a checkbox and option button on that toolbar. The control toolbox toolbar also has its own versions of these, too. sf49ers wrote: -- Dave Peterson Dave, Thank you very much for your help. "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Yep. > > Try showing the Forms toolbar. There's a checkbox and option button on that > toolbar. > > The control toolbox toolbar also has its own versions of these, too. > > sf49ers wrote: > > -- > > Dave Peterson > ...

driver/dll load/unload behavior
Below is a portion of the debug output from an app being run in debug inside VS8. This is an unmanaged, VC++/MFC app. My question is why are wdmaud.drv and setupapi.dll loaded/unloaded multiple times during application startup? Does this only happen when executed in debug mode? If this also happens outside of the debugger (release), how can I tell and is there anything I can do to prevent it? Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\riched20.dll', No symbols loaded. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdmaud.drv', No symbols loaded. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbol...

Counting in excel #3
I have a workbook of several sheets which have hundreds of rows of data, and I want to make a summary sheet which takes data from one column of each sheet. In the summary sheet I want to see how many items are in the sheet within a given range. For instance the table is titled gains The ranges are 1-500, 500-1000, 2000-5000, 5000-10000, and 10000+ I'm pulling the data from column N of sheets titled NE NW SE MW SW and GL. What counting formula could I use? I think I'd add a new worksheet and then copy each of those column N's into one giant column in that new worksheet. ...

Excel and Access Linking
I am interested in linking the two together for a project at work. I work for a construction company and I need to keep track our employees and the work they perform. I also need to do this for our subcontracted work also. We have about 95 clients and about 15 different crews in-house. I am looking for some good reference books or web site linkings on Access and Excel. I enjoy this forum nad have found many useful topics. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Help with Excel
I am working on a song list with selection numbers and disc numbers ..When I enter the selection number or disc number it changes to a DATE!! How do I change this. I'm new to excel Thanks Arlene Are you entering something like 1/10? If so, either format the cells as Text, or precede with a single quote, ' -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "cleocat10" <cleocat10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C15CC55-7700-45BA-B789-3C6B7D0DD3DC@microsoft.com... > I am working on a song list with selecti...

Excel File Open
When I choose the file and open option characters automatically are entered in the filename box. The characters vary and include "this then" and "this that now" and multiple periods increasing as I wait. These characters also appear within any given spreadsheet as I am working in it. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Are you using xl2002 or xl2003? Any chance you have speech recognition on? Ron Oatney wrote: > > When I choose the file and open option characters > automatically are entered in the filename box. The > characters vary and in...

MS Excel as backend/database for a website
Hello, If I use MS Excel as the backend/database for a website, how stable is it? Can you please offer any information on the pros and cons of doing so? Thank you ...