Excel remembers! How?

I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1
The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1
When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is completed
and it says FRENCH
How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF
Thanks for the help

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ian,

It is called "AutoCompletion". To turn it off, go to the Tools
menu, choose Options, then the Edit tab.  There, uncheck the
"Enable AutoComplete for cell values" options.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ian" <imac1404nospam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1
> The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1
> When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is
completed
> and it says FRENCH
> How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF
> Thanks for the help

0
chip1 (1821)
8/21/2003 12:40:53 PM
That was FAST.............ACCURATE and Many thanks

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> Ian,
>
> It is called "AutoCompletion". To turn it off, go to the Tools
> menu, choose Options, then the Edit tab.  There, uncheck the
> "Enable AutoComplete for cell values" options.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com       chip@cpearson.com
>

> "ian" <imac1404nospam@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > I type in "FRENCH"(no quatos) in cell A1
> > The I type in ENGLISH in cell b1
> > When I get back to cell a2 and type in the letter F the etxt is
> completed
> > and it says FRENCH
> > How does this happen/what is it called/how do you turn it OFF
> > Thanks for the help

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

How do I set up inches per Minute/Second in Excel
I need to know how to take a known inch per Minute and divide by a known measurement and displayed as minutes and seconds. The answer of the equation (minutes and seconds) is where I'm having trouble. Actually, you need to divide your measured length by the known rate (inches per minute). This gives you the number of minutes, but to display using m:ss format you need to divide by 1440, the number of minutes per day (since Excel counts time as the fraction of a day). So put your measurement in A2, your rate in B2, and this formula into C2: =A2/B2/1440 Then format C2 using a custom...

Excel Functions #2
hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to do this, because im fairly novice with excel: Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn green if the cell value is between 110 and 105 i want it to turn yellow if the cell value is below 105 i want it to turn red any help would be seriously appreciated. thanks spotseven wrote: > hi guys, just wondered if anyone knew which function i would use to > do this, because im fairly novice with excel: > > Basically if the cell value is above 110 i want the cell to turn gr...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

Can I make a database in Word with Excel Data
I know this may be a "DUH" question, but... I am making a list of area dentists that I have copied and pasted of of the Dex website into Excel. I am wondering if I can take this inf and make a database in Word for printing address labels. Does anyon know if this can be done, and HOW?:confused -- Myn77 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myn777's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2958 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49283 For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Saving Excel workbook in SQL server using c#
Could anyone please help me out as to how we can save the excel workbook in the database and read it back. I was able to convert the text files and image files into binary format and save them to the DB and finally able to retrive them back in the same format. But was unable to do same for the excel object. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, regards, jitender ...

Excel's localization of scientific notation
Does Excel use "E+" and "E-" for scientific notation for all locales? Or are there some locales for which it uses different characters? Thanks, Greg I'm pretty sure that the E is universal. If it were not, it would have been in the list of international symbols. Look here for more info about international issues: http://www.rondebruin.nl/international.htm#strings -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Greg Lovern" <gregl@gregl.net> wrote in message news:82e5afbe-a4ba-4f5f-ac41-ac7b41519d67@h40g2000prf.googl...

Access ODBC problem: Excel cannot get float columns
I need some help I'm trying to get Access external data from an Excel workbook, using the MS Query feature. Everything is ok except when I try to fetch some tables that ODBC refuses to get data from. The error message tells that the MS Access ODBC driver doesn't allow some columns to be transmited because of its number of characters. The most strange thing is that I can see the data from MS Query correctly, but I caannot get it back from Excel. After some tries, I thing it occurs only with real typed columns. Can anybody help me? I use Windows XP Home + Office 2000 spanish versio...

2003 excel
I would like to change the cell color if there is a "r" found in it. All the cells are in the same colum and there are also numbers in the cells with the "r". Can anyone help ? Assume data in col A Select the col, then apply conditional formatting using Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("r",A1)) Format to taste > OK out Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case sensitive -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:16,400 Files:356 Subscribers:53 xdemechanik --- "Dave" wrote: > I would like to change the cell color if ...

HELP: Excel userform version control issue
Hi All, I have an excel userform that is posted on my companys intranet. The issue I am having is, users are saving this form to their hard drive and then using it(Instead of launching it everytime from intranet), SO basically when I have a new version of form on intranet they still use the old version as they have a habbit of saving it on their hard drive. Is there a way to resove this? something like they would see a popup message saying that "This is an older version that you are using, Please launch the form from Intranet for newer version". Thanks in advan...

Error in code exportin tables to excel
I'm tryin to export a table to excel with the code: Private Sub Command4_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command0_Click Dim stDocName As String stDocName = "F01_UT" DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, F01_UT, "C:\TRY\Tbls", True Exit_Command0_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command0_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command0_Click End Sub However, Access displays the message: Compile error : Syntax error What I'm doing wrong? If I want to export more tablas do I have to write more lines (DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpr...

emailing spreadsheet within excel
I have a user that has sent her spreadsheet as an attachment using the Send To Function. We use Outlook. Now, it seems as if the Send To option has lost its settings and is now trying to set up an Internet account instead of using the Microsoft Exchange Settings. Anyone know how to reset the Send To settings in Excel? Thanks! ...

How do I import data from a SECURED website into Excel?
I can import data from a regular web page directly into Excel spreadsheet, but when I tried importing them from a secured site I encountered problems. Does anyone have any suggestions? ...

Transfer Macro in Excel
I am trying to transfer informtion in one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I have a macro to process this information from the first sheet to the second. I keep getting an error in this Process macro at the line. Application.Goto REFERENCE:=Range("END") The first sheet is called ProblemSheet and the second sheet is called Processed. The line above is taken from the process macro on the ProblemSheet page. Do I have to name a certain cell as "END" on either sheet? Any help with this would be really appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com...

How can I do an hourly salary calculation in Excel
How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and have it display the correct amount in local currency If you are using excel time formats, assume a time value is in A2 and you want to multiply with an hourly rate =A2*24*rate format as currency -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "AndyM" <AndyM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EE0E905-3139-4B70-8119-03A0B2FD4575@microsoft.com... > How can i do a simple hours (and minutes) x hourly rate calculation and > have > it display the correct amount in local cur...

Excel #2
College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? Choose File>Properties On the Summary tab, check 'Save preview picture. Click OK Tech Coor wrote: > College text asks students how to save a file with a preview? I assume a print preview? Any suggestions? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Broken x-axis in excel
Hi. I want to create a chart, where my x axis contains values within a range above zero, and to a given value. So far so good. My problem involves that i want the axis itself to show that there is a break from zero to my given value (marked with a Z-like sign), wich excel does not automaticly do. Is this possible to acheive? I have seen charts vith this prefix, but there is no such function, or description of how to do it in the "help register". Thank you. -- ketil This page shows one approach, and links to a couple others: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis....

is my excel corrupt? VLOOKUP
I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP so I tried a small simple table and I'm getting some strange results can someone have a look here http://www.naldernet.plus.com/holding/vlookup.xls and explain why if you type "horn" at B14 does it return the result of B5 ? thanks in advance probably something really stupid I missed in the VLOOKUP formula -- Vass "Vass" <mark.nalder_TRAPTHESPAM_@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:EuqdnTraeqlpM3XfRVnyuw@eclipse.net.uk... > I was having problems with a huge spreadsheet using VLOOKUP > so I t...

Exporting a table from Access 2003 to Excel 2007
I am trying to export a table from Access 2003 with more than 100,000 records into Excel 2007 and am not having any luck. I do not find the 2007 file extension in the drop down and choosing the latest version only exports part of the table. Any thoughts on whether this is possible to do? -- Carol Hi Carol, This is even hard to do with Excel 2007. You won't be able to do it directly with Excel 2003. You could export the file as a comma separated value with a csv suffix. By default Excel usually opens csv files. However you may lose formatting and other stuff. I ju...

help me understand excel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My job needs input info.... plzzzzzzz if you can help........... Help you how? CountryGirl Wrote: > My job needs input info.... plzzzzzzz if you can help.......... -- BenjieLo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27035 you need to be more specific, what are you trying to do ? bobf "CountryGirl" wrote: > My job needs input info.... plzzzzzzz if you can help.....

pass arguments to macro of excel file from command line
Hi, I realy need to pass aruments to macro(Auto_Open)s of excel file from command prompt. I tried with following code ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Declare Function GetCommandLine Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "GetCommandLineA" () As Long Declare Function lstrlen Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "lstrlenA" (ByVal lpString As Long) As Long Declare Function lstrcpy Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "lstrcpyA" (ByVal lpDestString As String, ) ByVal lpSrcString As Long) As Long Sub Test() Ms...

excel footer / header help
I'm trying to add the file path to the footer of my worksheets. Anyone know where or how? I can and file name & tab, but not path. Thanks, Jason. What version, Jason? ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jason - MR" <Jason - MR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F955ED37-9DE4-4988-A371-F32354E7841D@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to add the file path to the footer of my worksheets. Anyone know > where or how? I can and file name & tab, but not path. Thanks, Jason. Its Office 2000. Thx. "Anne Troy" wro...