Excel question ?

Hi, can anyone help me out with this ....

I have excel 2003 table and sheet inside of it have some formulas.
I would like to paste text data from notepad to that sheet without of
erasing any of the containing formulas which are like I said already there.

Thanx
0
steveaa (3)
11/29/2010 2:15:28 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Steve
You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu, then paste
your information in it.
The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet.
HTH
John
"Steve" <steveaa@dzemail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, can anyone help me out with this ....
>
> I have excel 2003 table and sheet inside of it have some formulas.
> I would like to paste text data from notepad to that sheet without of erasing
> any of the containing formulas which are like I said already there.
>
> Thanx

0
cimjet (71)
11/29/2010 2:51:27 PM
On 29.11.2010. 15:51, Cimjet wrote:
> Hi Steve
> You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu,
> then paste your information in it.
> The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet.
> HTH

My sheet is using some kind of a vlookup function and if I add some data
to any of the fields it automatically search through other 2 sheets.

But when I tried to paste text data from the notepad, it automatically
deleted that vlookup function on the sheet 1. Not much experienced in
this so didn't know how to avoid this deletion.

0
steveaa (3)
11/29/2010 3:16:14 PM
> On 29.11.2010. 15:51, Cimjet wrote:
>> Hi Steve
>> You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu,
>> then paste your information in it.
>> The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet.
>> HTH
>
> My sheet is using some kind of a vlookup function and if I add some
> data to any of the fields it automatically search through other 2
> sheets.
>
> But when I tried to paste text data from the notepad, it automatically
> deleted that vlookup function on the sheet 1. Not much experienced in
> this so didn't know how to avoid this deletion.

When you add data from the keyboard, you are entering data into cells
that do not contain formulas. Excel knows enough (depending on option
settings) to automatically copy formulas down into new rows if you are
adding new data below a list. I don't know that pasting new data below a
list will automatically copy formulas down into the new row.

My other guess is that when you are pasting data from the notepad (do
you mean the data is coming from Notepad, the program?) Excel is using
up more cells than you intend when it pastes the data from the clipboard
and replaces formulas with data.

If that is the case, you might try File | New and paste the data from
the clipboard into the new sheet ... then copy and paste only the
specific cells that you actually need.

--
Clif McIrvin

(clare reads his mail with moe, nomail feeds the bit bucket :-)

Hi Steve
You can't have both, formula and text in the same cell.
Beside a Textbox, information from my first post; if you want information
attached to a cell. Select your cell,right click and choose >Insert Comment. The
information can be paste in the comment box.
Both method will not affect your formulas.
HTH
John
"Steve" <steveaa@dzemail.com> wrote in message
> On 29.11.2010. 15:51, Cimjet wrote:
>> Hi Steve
>> You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu,
>> then paste your information in it.
>> The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet.
>> HTH
>
> My sheet is using some kind of a vlookup function and if I add some data to
> any of the fields it automatically search through other 2 sheets.
>
> But when I tried to paste text data from the notepad, it automatically deleted
> that vlookup function on the sheet 1. Not much experienced in this so didn't
> know how to avoid this deletion.

0
cimjet (71)
11/29/2010 3:40:55 PM
On 29.11.2010. 16:40, Cimjet wrote:
> Hi Steve
> You can't have both, formula and text in the same cell.
> Beside a Textbox, information from my first post; if you want
> information attached to a cell. Select your cell,right click and choose
>  >Insert Comment. The information can be paste in the comment box.
> Both method will not affect your formulas.
> HTH
> John

Had it like that before.
Table was separated into 3 sheets.
1st sheet was empty with 4 columns .... location number, item code, item
name and location long name.
2nd sheet already had filled whole inventory list, 3rd sheer had already
filled location names and their barcodes.

That table was loaded into pocket pc excel
(win ce) and I was doing yearly inventory in my company with that.

For example only 1st sheet is working sheet.. first column is location
(ex. IT room). After I marked first field and scanned location barcode
with it, sheet automatically recognized location and automatically
filled column number 4 with location long name.

After that I've marked 2nd field and scanned item barcode. Sheet added
scanned item code to that 2nd field, automatically recognized its full
name and added that text name to the 3rd field.

So I guess vlookup is using 2nd and 3rd sheet to recognize data and fill
up some fields on the sheet number 1 but I still have to scan location
and item code manually.

The problem is that I already have all scanned data from the last month
but only in text format (ex. items.txt). And I would like to add all
that data to that 1st sheet to make my job easier otherwise I will have
to scan manually 1800 items again which is a terrible job.

So when I try to paste all that into that 1st sheet, all vlookup
formulas dissapear.

I hope that it's not too complicated .. sorry if i can't explain it much
better.
0
steveaa (3)

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Excel 2007: Problem with refresh screen (when minimizied)
Hello On our network (around 40 workstations; Win XP Pro and Office 2007) we have particular the following problem: The user minimized the Excel programm window and do some other works in other applications, return to the minimized Excel window and want to maximize the Excel window. Result: The Excel window is empty. You can paricular see some rows or colums but often not. We try out also other graphic card but get no success. Any ideas? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

More line number questions
As in the previous post, I have constructed the queries, referenced the LastDayInMonth field however I am still struggling with how to report only the records for the FirstDayMonth entered. If I use any criteria in the query on the actual ExpenseDate either matching the month or using between two dates, the query only returns the actual number of records and none of the records where the dates are empty. So if there are 10 actual days with data then only those 10 show regardless of the number of days in the month. I hope that I am stating the problem clearly. The only solution I ha...

excel 97 filename truncation in Windows XP Pro
I have a legacy application that runs in Excel 97. I have Excel 97 and Excel XP loaded on a new machine that runs Windows XP Pro. The legacy application fails because the filename of a workbook is truncated during the saveas command. When I do a manual saveas in Excel 97, the filename truncates to the first letter. If I do the same thing in Excel XP, the saveas works normally. There have been a few posts describing the same problem. I searched google and found this: http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl The last post in the thread suggested an answe...

Moving Average Question? Help
I'm creating a spreadsheet to track averages for a golf league. Th scores for an individual will be enetered across a row such a (A1:A50). Each column will represent a week. I need a formula tha will calculate the average of the last 10 weeks played. Some week will be blank if that person missed a week. So I need it to ignor zero, however, still count back to the last 10 played. Note: A1:A1 will be the last 10 played last year...so the formula will start i A11 -- gillem ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gillemi's Profile: http://www.excelf...

Office 2003 Opening a new Excel Doc.
I just updated to Office 2003 and everytime I open up a new workbook a blank workbook name PERSONAL opens as well. How do I change that from happeneing?? Thanx, Jesse Hi Jesse Window>Hide and save the personal.xls When you record a macro you have the option to save the macro in this hidden workbook so you can use the macro in all your workbooks. You can find the file in your Xlstart folder -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65505D55-31EB-4BAA-A32D-B052F70E03AD@microsoft.com... >I just...

Two Excel tables in MS Query
How can I link two tables in two Excel-files, in MS Query and result view in PivotTable? ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I can link two tables in one Excel-file. ActiveSheet.PivotTableWizard SourceType:=xlExternal, SourceData:=Array( _ "SELECT `TKG_DATA$`.YEAR, `TKG_DATA$`.MONTH, `TKG_DATA$`.DAY, `TKG_DATA$`.TIME, `TKG_DATA$`.`INC/OUT`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C59/170`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C46/158`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C356/137`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C355/358`, `TKG" _ , _ "_DATA$`.`C354/357`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C32/142`, `TKG_DATA$`.`C30/116`, `TKG_D...

Merging excel office data into a publisher office project(Australi
Having problems when I get to the point in the merge wizard "catalog merge template", with the DOB format to be entered into the membership card that I have made in Publisher. It reverts back to American date format. Could the problem be in the edit record section? All seems to be okay till then. I have checked the regional settings etc., all okay. When I have finished template of merge & highlighted the DOB field gone to language on tool bar and set language it still doesn't work then preview, it has reverted to American. ...

how do I tell excell 2003 to print sheets back to front?
In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot find that command in excell 2003. Am I overlooking it, or have they changed the command convention to an obscure, hard to understand, jargon. FILE | PRINT... | Click on the PROPERTIES button | PAGE ORDER, i.e. back to front. "goochiepepper" wrote: > In excel 97 I could tell printer to start printing from the back page to the > front so the job would come off of the printer in the right order. I cannot > find that co...

How can i get more 3D shapes for Auto shapes in excel?
Please suggest how i can get more shapes (simple as well as 3D ) in Auto Shapes of drawing toolbar in excel & word? ...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

Excell Cells: Auto Formatting
I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row and it wont extend. What can I do? When protecting the sheet allow users to format cells and rows. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:14:01 -0800, Sophie <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have protected a workesheet and unfortunately when the people submit >information on the cells and it is too long than the actual height of the row > and it wont extend. What can I do? How do I jus...

newbie question
Hi, I just started using Money 2004 deluxe and to be honest this is the first time I use it so I have some basic questions that I tried to find answer without success. 1- I included a CC account, this is an old credit card and I don't know the starting balance of it, I just know the current balance. I downloaded the transactions from the bank and now I'm trying to balance it. What is the best way of doing it? I was trying to look for an option that let me especify the current balance and the software be capable of calculate the starting balance. 2- Last friday I downloaded a...

How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003
How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help menu and I cannot figure it out. See: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Lenny" <Lenny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F05DEA1-E264-4760-9DDE-3C97319AA1D4@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down list in Excel 2003. I've tried to use the help > menu and I cannot figure it out. ...

Watermark in excel 2000
Hi I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no matter I use the "send to back" button on or the item. TIA /Per Hi maybe the following sites will help you: http://www.xl-logic.com/pages/formulas.html http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/Watermark.zip And for Excel 2002+: http://cpap.com.br/orlando >-----Original Message----- >Hi > >I'm trying to insert a watermark from a jpg file. >The probem is the watermark always stays on top and cover the text, no >matter I use the "send ...

Bank Reconciliation problem/question
In working on the reconciliation we've run across several transactions in the bank reconciliation screen that, in fact, are in a different checkbook than the one being reconcilied. As an example, we were reconciling our JPMorganChase bank account and one of the deposits listed in the screen is number 00000000000000000021 for $127,024.77 dated 2/22/06. However, this deposit, when zoomed in on, is actually in another of our checkbooks. It doesn't show up in the checkbook inquiry for Chase nor did it hit the g/l account associated with the Chase checkbook. There was a deposit wit...

Maximum value to use autofiler feature in excel
Hi, does anybody know the maximum value to use autofilter in ms excel? I heard my friend told me that excel could filter only select data is less than 1000. He told me that he has 4000 row and use autofilter, an expected record is more than a thousand but the record display only 1000 maximum. I want to test like him too but I don't have any file that contain alot many thousand of record. Does anybody have any idea? Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Roath Kanel" <012633023@mobitel.com.kh> schrie...

what exactly is the 'alias' for? and a few other related questions.
exchange 2000 sp3 on windows 2000 server sp4 When I make user accounts the username and email naming conventions differ. For example, username is firstname only and email address is first initial of first name followed by a '.' and then the last name. So as I create an account I enter the username, then when I get to the exchange part the username is pre-populated as the alias, which I change to our naming convention. The email address gets created according to the alias. example: username: joe alias: j.schmoe email: j.schmoe@domain.com (by default based on alias) I have never had a...

Please help me with a couple of VBA related Word questions... than
1. If a group of users have a common template installed on their machine, and they are all sent a document created with that template, is the appropriate corresponding template identified by its filename, or by its fully-qualified-folder-path-filename (which could be in different locations on different client machines), or something else? 2. Can VBA code be separated from the document and distributed separately from the document? 3. What's the best way of distributing changes to a VBA macro? Thank you for your help I do not have the facilities to the check a...

Excel 2000 #38
Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell function in Excel there is no option to use parentheses. The only option is to use the -ve symbol or to display the value in red. How do I display the value in parentheses. -- Mike from Australia Hi Mike Try Format>Cells>Number>Custom $#,##0.00;[Red]($#,##0.00) Regards Roger Govier Mike wrote: > Hi - I use Excel 2000 and wish to display negative number, accounting and > currency values in parentheses. However in the Format Cell functio...

Excel 2003 ODBC Add-in
Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? Hi MS no longer delivers this addin with Excel 2003. But check out: http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sqlrequest.html http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/xlodbc.aspx -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excel2003User" <Excel2003User@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:687E3600-63A2-414E-A7B8-5366BE386667@microsoft.com... > Where can I download Excel 2003 ODBC Add-In from ? ...

DDE link error Excel freezes
Hi, I am using Excel 2003 and in one sheet I have a DDE link from anothe program. When I open the sheet I get a question wether I want to updat the fields or not. When I click YES the sheet normally opens and I ca view the data. But sometimes it seems like Excel freezes and I have t wait 3-5 minutes until it resumes. Anyone that has any idea why? The source program is always started first by the way. Kennet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

searching for questions by login name
How can I search for all the questions that specifically I submitted? I tried to use my display name and nothing returned. "GailH" <GailH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:830E4922-7352-4C30-8844-4EF72B0BD9C7@microsoft.com... > How can I search for all the questions that specifically I submitted? I > tried > to use my display name and nothing returned. Do yourself a BIG favour and ditch the horrible web interface. Use a news reader instead. Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups http://www.michaelsteve...

Excel 2003, Opening a file
Hello Everyone, I have this problem when trying to open a file in Excel. It takes along time to drill down down in the folder list. Any ideas? Thanks -Mark I suggest putting a shortcut to the file(s) or to the buried folder that your file(s) are in. The shortcut could be on your desktop or in some folder close to the "surface". To create the shortcut or your desktop you can navigate to the desired folder (using My Computer), right click and drag the folder to your desktop. When you release respond that you want to create a shortcut (rather than moving or copying...

Excel cell display
I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I make that happen? Would Insert> Comment work for you? "slantt" wrote: > I want a text box to display when I click on a particular cell - how can I > make that happen? Yes, thanks - I found that after I posted of course (newbie to Excel). I was looking to see if there was a macro I could gen to do the same thing... "ufo_pilot" wrote: > Would > Insert> Comment > work for you? > > > "slantt" wrote: > > > I want a text box...