Excel puts spaces after the decimal

When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1.  50.  I
have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as
in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel
but the problem still stays.  PLEASE can somebody help.
0
Isabel (12)
4/1/2006 11:38:02 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something
changing the dot to dot-space-space?

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something
> changing the dot to dot-space-space?
>
> Isabel wrote:
> >
> > When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1.  50.  I
> > have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as
> > in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel
> > but the problem still stays.  PLEASE can somebody help.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Isabel (12)
4/1/2006 12:01:01 PM
I forgot to mention, If I open the workbook on any other computer on my
network I dont have that problem, it is only on this one computer.

"Isabel" wrote:

> Have checked that?
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > Did you check under Tools|Autocorrect Options to see if there was something
> > changing the dot to dot-space-space?
> >
> > Isabel wrote:
> > >
> > > When I type 1.50 in any cell in any worksheet Excel displays it as 1.  50.  I
> > > have checked the decimal points in the format number, currency etc as well as
> > > in Tools , options I even checked my Windows settings and re-installed Excel
> > > but the problem still stays.  PLEASE can somebody help.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
Isabel (12)
4/1/2006 12:05:02 PM
Does this mean that you checked under tools|autocorrect options and didn't find
it there?

These autocorrect options are specific to the user--not the workbook.  So it is
consistent with your note here.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Does this mean that you checked under tools|autocorrect options and didn't find
> it there?
>
> These autocorrect options are specific to the user--not the workbook.  So it is
> consistent with your note here.
>

> Isabel wrote:
> >
> > I forgot to mention, If I open the workbook on any other computer on my
> > network I dont have that problem, it is only on this one computer.
> >
> > "Isabel" wrote:
> >
> > > Have checked that?

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Isabel (12)

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

Excel 2003 not understanding Access 2003 "like"
I have a number of Access queries linked and displayed in an Excel workbook by way of Data, Import External Data, Import Data. Some of the criteria and select statements in the queries use the keyword "Like" (e.g. Like "*Smith" to pull up all names ending in "Smith"). These statements seem to be completely ignored by Excel so that records I should see are not appearing in the workbook. This worked fine in versions 97 (from which we've just upgraded) so is this a version 2003 bug? If so, is there a fix? ...

Change 2007 excel Autofilter back to 2003?
Does anyone know if there is a way to change excel's 2007 autofilter functionality back to like excel 2003 autoflilter use to work? I need to quickly bring up like values and compare other columns based upon the filtered values and the extra clicking of the check boxes is driving me nuts! If it helps any (and if you haven't thought about it yet), you can click the "(Select All)" entry twice to remove your current selections. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "jonnybrovo815" <jonnybrovo815@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36837406-1...

publishing images with Excel workbook
I have created an workbook with Excel and put a photo on the first page. when I publish the workbook as an web page (interactivity) my photo is missing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have try everything I know to do = insert picture, putting copying photo to clipboard and shift, pasta picture and still logo is missing. Lee ...

How do I create a Cost Volume Profit Graph in Excel?
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to create a CVP graph in Excel 2007. A cost volume profit shows how costs, revenues, and profits vary with volume (sales). You can either plot total cost, or fixed and variable costs, which add up to total costs. One way to show this is to make a break-even chart. Put unit sales (number of items sold) in the first column, fixed costs in the second (which are a constant), variable costs in the third column (these are typically a straight line through zero), and in the fourth insert formulas that sum fixed and variable costs to make total ...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

Space characters is CEdit.
I am using an CEdit for a configuration entry in my program. Typical entries for this field are: a single space character or two space characters or two space characters, followed by a word, followed by a single space character. Entry of the data works correctly and so does my program. The problem is that when an operator looks at the data field, they can't easily tell what is there. You can't readily see a space. Any ideas on what I can do in this situation? I can't imagine why a space is used for this, given the very reason that you point out. It's not clear...

Mode Indicators in Excel?
A good example of a missing mode indicator one for whether th calculation mode is set to manual or automatic. Isn't there any othe way to find out other than going to the Tools>Options>Calculatio dialog? This has messed me up almost any time calculation gets set t manual. Another example is that trying to use stored Custom Views for filtere lists gives the error "Some view settings could not be applied" on som worksheets (usually complex ones), but works OK in others (usuall simpler ones). I know sheet protection is one thing that can caus this (which itself has no mod...

Chart drawing problem in Excel 2003
Over the last few months I have had the same problem in excel with all charts where I've used a two colour fill effect for either a data series or background. When I use this feature the entire chart is only viewable in black and white and excel takes a long time to actually draw the chart. However if I print the chart or even copy and paste into excel all the colours are as they should be. The mpeg moving shows how excel draws an example chart when the chart sheet is activated http://www.paperlessbooks.co.uk/barchart_example.avi and to see how excel prints to pdf see the pdf belo...

Auto Filter
When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when filtering. Is there any way of being able to accomplish this? Hi you may have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a workaround Frank Gail wrote: > When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list > will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 > unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when > filterin...

Excel cant SAVE added data?
This is a copy/paste with minor edits from post submitted yesterday ... Excel 2000 ... I have a single page spread sheet (my own) ... built in Excel 2000 (still Excel 2000) that was working fine. After expanding the spread sheet to handle more equipment I received error message stating: Excel can not SAVE all of the added data & formatting ... Here I had the option to select OK without fixing ... CANCEL ... or ... HELP. I selected HELP & ended up on a blank HELP Page ... So now I am turning to this board. Anybody know what gives? Could I be running into a formatting limit i...

Coloured wheel of death with excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I get a coloured wheel of death every time i use excel from office 2008, almost every time I type into a cell, for about 3 - 6 seconds. I've looked on here and there seems to be a lot of discussion about hp drivers, but I don't have an hp printer. I'm working in normal view. Can anyone help? First, be certain that both Office (12.2.3) & OS X (10.6.2) are fully updated. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, then see if things improve after a restart of your Mac. If things are still ...

Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and paste
I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? . .. maybe the cells in the New worksheet are preset to a c...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...

Copy/Paste with Hidden Rows/Columns Excel 2007
I am working with rather large & detailed spreadsheets. I have hidden rows and columns with supporting details that feed into the viewable results (formulas). I need to take the “zipped up” data and copy/paste to a new worksheet. When I paste the data, it appears with all of the hidden columns and rows visible one again. Is there any way to paste the zipped up data without the reappearance of the previously hidden rows and columns? Can you paste a link without all of the hidden data reappearing? Select range to copy which includes hidden rows and columns. F5>Special...

Excel XP automatic equals sign when formula bar clicked
In Excel 2000, you could click on a cell, then click on the formula bar and an equals sign would pop up in anticipation of a formula to be written. How can you make Excel 2002 duplicate this behavior? Hi Mike! This was removed from Excel 2002 onwards. The closest you'll get is: View > Toolbars > Customize Under the Insert list you'll find "=" Drag it to a toolbar near the formula bar. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. &q...

Outlook 2003 get rid of double space in Comments?
I cut and paste information from emails into Outlook Calendar comments. But sometimes it ends up double spaced on some lines (i.e. blank lines between lines). How can you get rid of this, there doesn't seem to be anyway from the FONTS screen. ...

remove white space without changing plot size
Now I know the white space can be removed by draging plot area but without changing the size of plot I like to remove the white space. Is that impossible ? Not impossible, but it is hard to maintain the plot area size. You have to first make the outer chart area rectangle as small as you need, then make the plot area as large as you need. You'll probably have to cycle through resizing of the two rectangles a few times. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ pm wrote: > Now I know t...

Excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have purchased Microsoft Office: Mac 2008, Home & Student Edition. I want to use the Add-in feature but the Add In Folder is empty. How can I get the Add-ins for Excel 2008? I am specifically looking for Data Analysis Tools Pak to run regressions and the like. Shouldn't it be included with the software? I have reinstalled and still to no avail are there any Add-ins to be found. Please help. Thank you, Sherri On 9/23/08 10:10 PM, in article 59b5a3f9.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Sherri_Wilson@officeformac....

Excel macros #2
I have created a macro to reformat spreadsheet and stored the created macro in personal.xls so that i can use it in an spreadsheet.When I record new macro and choose "store macro in - Personal Macro Workbook"...i get message displayed " Personal Macro Wkbook in startup folder must stay open for recording - unable to record". I have checked for viruses. The Per M Workbook is in C: \Docs and Settings.....XLstart. I thought that Per M Wkbook opened automatically on Excel startup. ***** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Foru...

Re: What happened to Subscript and Superscript Buttons in Excel?
Hi Mike, various tricks have been developed to compensate for the lack of sub-/superscripts buttons in Excel. One example follows for changing all the characters but the first one in the selected range to subscripts, which is quite common a practice with symbols. In another, similar way, there can be the first character converted to Greek, chemical counts to sub-/superscripts, powers to superscripts etc. Obviously there is no urgent need; there is still only a strong minority of scientific user of Excel. PB Sub IndexChain() Dim N As Integer, TNS As String TNS = TypeName(Selection) If...

Excel formula help
I work for a temporary housing company and would like to create a calendar where all i have to do is put the clients name and dates they are staying in a "key" and it will automatically block out that range of date an a calendar (and preferrable tent the cell red meaning occupied). Does anyone have any advice on what formula would get this accomplished? Thank you in advance!! Suggest vlookup formula in conditional formatting. Requires the date to be in the cell of the calendar date. vlookup on cell date to see if it is in the key. For exmaple if the date within the...

Exporting the results of a SQL statement to excel
Dear all,I'm trying to create a report that whn closing asks the user if theywish to create an Excel file based on the report data for futureimport into my database, (the data for reason to boring and endless togo into has to get external approval before being added hence thereport and the export/import routine). I have my sql statement andhave gotten as far:SQL01= "SELECT etc.......".Docmd.runsqlMy question is where to go from here, should docmd.runsql bedocmd.transferspreadsheet (in which case how do I reference my SQLstatement) or is there something else I need to do first ?TI...

Put file date is a cell
I want to put the date the file was saved into the footer of my spreadsheet. I wrote a small user defined function that incorporates FileDateTime(). I can get the date to appear in a msgbox, but when I try to use the same function to write to a cell, I get an error. It says "That name is not valid". What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? Here is my code: Public Function MyDate() As Variant ' Get the file date and export it to a cell. MyDate = FileDateTime("thisfile.xls") MsgBox MyDate, vbOKOnly, "Current" End Function Thanks, Jay Jay, thi...