Excel Protection Q

I understand that Excel protection is not that strong for determined
people to work around. Are there any 3rd Party software that users
have used which encrypts Excel to a relatively satisfactory level? I
still wish to use and distribute Exel files but with a stronger
protection aspect

Thanks

0
seanryanie (33)
1/28/2007 10:10:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Sean" <seanrya...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote...
>I understand that Excel protection is not that strong for determined
>people to work around. Are there any 3rd Party software that users
>have used which encrypts Excel to a relatively satisfactory level? I
>still wish to use and distribute Exel files but with a stronger
>protection aspect

Excel does provide relatively strong file-open passwords, i.e.,
passwords users must enter in order to open the file. However, once
open, there's nothing - repeat, NOTHING - that will provide stronger
security than the pathetically inadequate worksheet, workbook and VBA
module passwords. There's no 3rd party software that provides anything
more. If you want your users to be able to open your files, you can't
secure anything in those files against determined and not too
sophisticated attack.

If you want to secure IP, don't distribute using XLS files. If you
distribute XLS files, don't expect any IP security.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
1/29/2007 10:05:46 AM
check out www.doneex.com.

quite useful.

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

> "Sean" <seanrya...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote...
> >I understand that Excel protection is not that strong for determined
> >people to work around. Are there any 3rd Party software that users
> >have used which encrypts Excel to a relatively satisfactory level? I
> >still wish to use and distribute Exel files but with a stronger
> >protection aspect
>
> Excel does provide relatively strong file-open passwords, i.e.,
> passwords users must enter in order to open the file. However, once
> open, there's nothing - repeat, NOTHING - that will provide stronger
> security than the pathetically inadequate worksheet, workbook and VBA
> module passwords. There's no 3rd party software that provides anything
> more. If you want your users to be able to open your files, you can't
> secure anything in those files against determined and not too
> sophisticated attack.
>
> If you want to secure IP, don't distribute using XLS files. If you
> distribute XLS files, don't expect any IP security.

Inserting excel doc into ppt
Is there a way to insert a sheet or info from a sheet from excel into powerpoint? I have a program outline I want to insert into my presentation. PP 2007 Here is one way to do it:- 1. I have a Title Only slide on the screen in front of me. 2. Insert / Text group / Object / Insert Object pop up window launches / click on the Create from file radio button / Browse / in the File name: field type in the full path of where your file is and its name / Open / OK. 3. The sheet from the targeted Workbook will now be pulled into your Presentation. Re-size as desired. 4. ...

Excel file e mail addresses into address group list
I want to take the .csv file from excel into my outlook express address book then copy addresses (select members) into a group list. Then I want to keep that address in the group list, but erase from the address book. Hi Jack, First back up your Windows Address Book ( .WAB) Export your address book to a .csv format so that you are sure you have the formatting correct (all the fields). When you import your .csv file to the address book, you must add one more column to your Excel file and fill it with a single blank. This will generate the need comma at the end of each row -- fail...

Missing Measures in .cub file created in Excel
After using Excel's Offline OLAP features which create a local cube file (.cub), many of the desired measures which I included in the wizard setup are not displayed. I'm looking for a reason for this. The data populating this cube file is from a virtual cube, so background calculations take place. I considered that those measures requiring calculation would not be included once seperated from the original virtual cube... but many calculated measures WERE included so I don't think that's the complete explination. I've varied the measures included in the .cub file...

How do I enter a decimal in a string of numbers in Excel? Example.
Please post your question in the BODY of the message, not the subject line, and clarify with an example of the initial data and what you want to end up with. If it's to translate 123 to 1.23, you divide by 100. On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:03:07 -0800, Joy <Joy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Problem opening Excel 2003 in a Small Business edition
When i open excel ,it appears a window "installing:function of Excel" Its seems like installing a new function of Excel , it last a few seconds and then we can work wiht it. How can i eliminate this Hi, You could try looking into your tools>Add-ins to determine what function packs are being loaded when you start Excel. If this is poiting to an add-in on a network drive, it could be what is causing the delay. You can try this by unchecking each option in turn and closing and re-opening Excel. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar ""installing:function of Excel"...

Export Report To Excel
XP, Office 2007 I have a report that when run basically tells us the part number, how many are in stock, and how many we need to make to complete a particular order. There are several order dates to each part, so the rows repeat themselves for each of the order dates. There are total fields on the report that show how many parts need to be made if the customer orders more than what is on hand; all the calculations are done in the report itself. I was able to use a macro to filter everythihg down to show for each part number the first due date for parts that need to be manufactured an...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

New Chart in Excel 2007 is NOT showed unless preview
I have a sheet with multiple charts in Excel 2007 one of the new created charts is hidden when I open the file Unless preview is selected, then finally turned on BUT many formats are changed and objects on charts (titles,...) can not be moved ! what's wrong ? Make sure you have installed SP2 for Office 2007 as this fixes some (not all) chart problems best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Rolando" <Rolando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B0A3E5C-AABD-4982-962B-8C5C09A2CC5A@microsoft...

How to draw a regression line on 7000+ dated data with Excel 2007
How to draw a regression line on 7000+ dated data using Excel 2007 Are your "dates" actual Excel dates or just text? With actual Excel dates, pre-2007 versions have no problem doing simple linear regression. To interpret the results though, you need to remember how Excel dates are stored: An Excel date is the number of days since 1900, so the numeric value of today's date is 39736, and the intercept of the regression will be the value of the relationship extrapolated to 30Dec1899 (since Excel mistakenly considers 1900 to be a leap year) "Gordon Lee" wrote: >...

Turning off all Automatic Formatting in Excel 2003
Hi Is there any way of turning off all automatic formatting in Excel 2003? For example Excel automatically changes strings such as 1-12 in a CSV file to 1-Dec, 10-10-2005 to 10/10/2005 and strings of numbers to an exponential representation. These changes are preserved when saving the file and thus corrupting it, preventing any other applications from reading it. I know you can import CSVs changing all the fields to text using the data import option, however reopening it and saving causes Excel to make the same changes again. Any suggestions would be really appreciated as this is caus...

How do I prevent Excel from replacing path in hyperlink when saved
I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm using the path (F:\myfile.txt). When I save the document, the hyperlink changes to (\\MyServer\MyPath\myfile.txt). Is it possible to prevent this, because if the servername is changed in the future the link won't work Regards Rico Use the =HYPERLINK() function: =HYPERLINK("F:\myfile.txt","myfile") -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200810 "Rico B. Raben" wrote: > I´ve created a hyperlink in a cell using the Insert Hyperlink option. I'm > using the path (...

How Change default "look in" location in EXCEL for Importing Exte.
I am importing data contained in a text file. When I get to Import Data, the "Look In" folder location always defaults to "My Data Sources". How do I change that to the folder where my data is? (files are on my computer). thanks ...

Deleting rows in Excel based on criteria
Is it possible to automate the deletion of row based on a criteria, preferably through a macro? i.e. - run the macro and delete any row who has "NO" in last column. >and delete any row who has "NO" in last column. last column IV ?? -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "SteveM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05ac01c3afb9$b76f96a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to automate the deletion of row based on a > criteria, preferably through a macro? i.e. - run the > macro an...

Programmatically sign Excel VBA macro
My goal is to programmatically sign an Excel VBA macro. I have a certificate. I have code to programmatically create an Excel macro. Word 2002 has access to the Office SignatureSet collection (ActiveDocument.Signatures which prompts the user to select a certificate via the Add method of the SignatureSet collection, which is an interface--not a class--in the Office Interop PIA). Excel does not have a get_Signatures. Why not?! Who cares, I don't want to prompt the user to identify a certificate from the store anyway. Now, I'm thinking, if I had something like SignCode.exe fro...

convert from excel to adobe
Hello - I tried to convert from Excel to adobe and it ended up with black background and no words. I tested to convert from MS Word and webpage to adobe - no problem. I suspected that it had to do with the Excel setting for Adobe conversion. Where can I fix the setting in Excel to make it normal to convert it into adobe? I saw "change conversion setting" under Adobe on the menu in Excel application but i don't know which one is the problem in the setting. Thanks, Krae ...

How do I update Excel 2000 macros to work in Excel 2002?
Working in Excel 2002/XP on an Excel worksheet which was created in Excel 2000, I get an error message "Subscript out of range". How do I update the macro to work in Excel 2002? Hi normally the macro should work without a problem. Best to post the part of your code which generates this error -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BobPetrich" <BobPetrich@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9CF34907-0A45-4392-8F04-556EFB1F89E4@microsoft.com... > Working in Excel 2002/XP on an Excel worksheet which was created in Excel > 2000, I get a...

How do I subtract 20% from one column in Excel and place totals i.
I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 20% from totals in one column on my spreadsheet to show totals in another column on same spreadsheet. Can anyone help? Spent way to long trying to figure out correct formula. =A30*80% assuming totals in A30 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Full Effect Landscaping" <Full Effect Landscaping@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7ACF893B-54DF-4EE4-A931-3BB5FA365821@microsoft.com... > I would like to know if someone knows the formula I use to subtract 2...

Convert to word / excel
in access 03, i could run a report then export it to word or excel, however i cannot seem to be able to do it with access 07, HELP!! -- Lois On the ribbon, select the External Data tab. There is an Excel icon on the Export group. "Lois" wrote: > in access 03, i could run a report then export it to word or excel, however i > cannot seem to be able to do it with access 07, HELP!! > -- > Lois ...

importing excel files into outlook 2007
I did an import and it worked perfectly. I tried to ddo a second, and am receiving a message that - an error occuredwhile importing or exporting and the import/export was terminated. MAPI error 0x80070057 was reported. please try again. I have rebuild the file, changes names and still receive the same message. I looked on ms faq but can't find how to fix the problem. Can anyone help. Thanks Dick Take a look at both of these sights... http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-854669.php http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329295/EN-US/ Anvil22 wrote: >I did...

who can I protect with password the Interchange entry
Hi, I'm trying to protect the Interchange entry with a password, in GP8 I used the general password but, I did update to GP9 and this protection was eliminated and all the user can change or entry a new interchange rate. Who can protect this?. Armando Sanchez This was removed in GP 9.0 because it was accidently added to the window in 8.0 (it wasn't previously). You can use regular GP security to keep everyone you want out of the window. The only other solutions I can think of are: 1. Dexterity customization - pretty easy 2. VBA coding but not as secure but would work. 3. I thi...

Converting Excel to PDF
Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me...I have adobe & Microsoft office installed on my computer and I'm trying to set up adobe so that when I go and select print from the file menu in excel/word I can select adobe and then the document is converted to a pdf. However I do not know how to set up adobe so that it is one of my priting options - can anyone help me with this??! I look forward to hearing from someone who can help!! Cheers, Mel Do you have Acrobat or Acrobat Reader? Acrobat Reader only enables you to read pdf files. AFAICR when you install the full Acrobat produ...

excel hang when switching worksheet

Excel 2002 annoyance
Greetings List I am using Excel XP amd Access XP I regularly run queries in Access and cut and paste the results into a new Excel spreadsheet. The Access data is usually formatted numeric, fixed, zero decimal places. Once pasted into Excel, it gains 2 decimal places and I get the little green triangle in each cell inviting me to convert to numeric of error check etc. Can anyone think of a way to retain the numeric formatting from the MS Access data? Regards George ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet mess...

how do i setup excel to use separate instances for each file open.
Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it 'acts' like a new program for each file open. This is relevant because I have mulitple monitors and can have two or more active documents and see them side by side. Excel however opens each file into one program and does not allow simultaneous viewing of more than one book/sheet/etc... Is there an option embedded somewhere that will allow this?..or what?... I'm open to suggestions. uhh...I figured it out... Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications "roomi" wrote: > Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it '...

Military Time in Excel
I would like to create a timetable in Excel with the format in the 24 hour clock without the colon, which I believe is known as military time. I am leaving the colon out for a number of reasons, aesthetic and to speed up entry. I wish to enter the time, for example, 8:30 am as 0800 and have Excel interpret it as a time, as these will be graphed, so need to be interpreted as time, and not plainly a number. At the moment Excel simply shows "800" when I type 0800. I have tried formatting all the cells as Custom "hhmm" instead of "hh:mm", but when ...