Excel not parsing HTML properly - nested table

Hi,

I am trying to have excel open an HTML file that contains nested
table, the outer table contains fields that can be used to perform the
sort.  But this is not working, Excel instead converts "Line 1" and
"Zipcode 1" into merged cells as well as "Line 2" and "Zipcode 2" (see
below).   If I open this HTML in browser and use Javascript function
to sort the table it works fine.

Sample HTML that has issues:
---------------------------
<HTML>
<Table>
    <TR>
        <TD>Line 1 </TD>
        <TD>Zipcode 1</TD>
         <TD><table>
tr>
tr>
    </TR>
    <TR>
        <TD>Line 2 </TD>
        <TD>Zipcode 2</TD>
         <TD><table>
tr>
tr>
    </TR>
</HTML>

----------------------

Basically I want to create a list that I can use to sort on first
column (Line item) or second column (Zipcode).  I would prefer not to
convert the inner table into <PRE> as this works, but the results look
awful.

Thanks in advance,
Hiren

0
hiren.hp (2)
6/27/2007 6:21:34 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Can't you import it under data>import external data>new web query

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

<hiren.hp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to have excel open an HTML file that contains nested
> table, the outer table contains fields that can be used to perform the
> sort.  But this is not working, Excel instead converts "Line 1" and
> "Zipcode 1" into merged cells as well as "Line 2" and "Zipcode 2" (see
> below).   If I open this HTML in browser and use Javascript function
> to sort the table it works fine.
>
> Sample HTML that has issues:
> ---------------------------
> <HTML>
> <Table>
>    <TR>
>        <TD>Line 1 </TD>
>        <TD>Zipcode 1</TD>
>         <TD><table>
> tr>
> tr>
>    </TR>
>    <TR>
>        <TD>Line 2 </TD>
>        <TD>Zipcode 2</TD>
>         <TD><table>
> tr>
> tr>
>    </TR>
> </HTML>
>
> ----------------------
>
> Basically I want to create a list that I can use to sort on first
> column (Line item) or second column (Zipcode).  I would prefer not to
> convert the inner table into <PRE> as this works, but the results look
> awful.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hiren

0
terre081 (3244)
6/27/2007 6:30:57 PM
Peo,

I tried it, it gives me the same results.  If you copy and paste the
HTML from my original post and open it in browser, you will see that
there are only two rows.
If you then open the HTML file in MS Excel you will see Excel convert
these cells into Merged Cells with 4 rows.

So the question is what changes can I make in my HTML so that Excel
will not merge the cells.  I would like the end result to be displayed
as follows:

LineItem  Zip     Data
Line 1     Zip1    Multiple formatted lines

Regards,
Hiren

0
hiren.hp (2)

how do i refresh a pivot table drop down list in excel 2003?
when i remove data from my source tab, the entries still show in the drop down list for the field in my pivot table. i am trying to figure out how to remove them. i tried removing the field from the pivot table, refreshing the pivot table, and then placing the field back in. that only works sometimes. ...

Excel 07
I have a stacked chart with one series showing positive values, and two other series showing negative values. When I add data labels, they only appear on the positive value series. Even when I click on the negative series, I get the menu to format the data labels, but in no way, shape, or form are they actually visible on my chart. Any thoughts? Thanks! I used this data Group Alpha Beta A 1 -1 B 2 -4 C 3 -6 D 4 -4 E 5 -3 Made a stacked column chart Added data labels to each data series; both were visible Changed chart type to Line and to Bar and data labels remained visible What to se...

Best way to add tables?
It seems difficult to draw precise tables in Pub 2002. Word offers more flexibility, but when I use Paste or Paste Special into Pub all formatting is lost, and it's time consuming to reformat everything. Is there a best way to do this? Doug Have you tried the "Import Word Document" from file? Once the document is in Publisher, select the table, copy, paste special, new table. Delete the Word document. You shouldn't lose formatting. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Doug" <doug@loc...

In Excel I need to insert a clean form each use
I have created a protected worksheet with unlocked cells to be filled in by the user and saved. Then next week I need to to have another copy of the same blank form for the user to fill in with new data. I thought I could just insert a copy of the form (as its own file) on Sheet 1, but can't figure out how to do that. Robin, Hold down the CTRL key, left click the sheet tab and drag to create a copy. It will have a name of something like Sheet1 (2) so rename as required. Mike "Robin" wrote: > I have created a protected worksheet with unlocked cells to ...

nesting functions to compare segments of two columns
In Excel I would like to nest functions to make the formula =MAX(OFFSET((ADDRESS((MATCH(I1,F1:F8000)),6)):(ADDRESS((MATCH(I2,F1:F8000)),6)),0,1)) The part =ADDRESS((MATCH(I1,F1:F8000)),6) works on its own as does =MAX(OFFSET(F14:F23,0,1)) but they don’t work together. The intent is to be able to type in two numbers; a minimum value (I1) and a maximum value (I2). The location of those values would then be identified in a column of ascending numbers (F) but the numbers would make a range separated by a variable number of other cells dependant on the min & max inputs. Th...

Where to ask- running Excel from .NET?
Hi all, I have been over at the MSDN forums and someone pointed me here. I am trying to create an instance of Excel from within .NET so I can populate it with some data and save it. All works fine. However, after I tell excel to quit (which it appears to do), if I go into task manager, I can see it is still running. And if I do the process again, I get 2 copies of Excel in task manager. This is with Excel 2007 and Win XP. I have tried a bunch of things, none of which have worked. One possibility is that I work in at a defense contractor and it might be that they ha...

How do I lock a group of cells in Excel?
I'm trying to lock down a group of cells so they won't be able to move. How do I do this? - Tools / Protection / Protect Sheet - Remember to unlock the cells that you want to be able to put input into. - Format / Cells / Protection - uncheck the 'Locked' checkbox HTH, Gary Brown "Ben Nesbitt" wrote: > I'm trying to lock down a group of cells so they won't be able to move. How > do I do this? ...

help with pivot tables
I have created a spreadsheet which has multiple pivot tables the only problem is that my source data can contain anything from one item to fifty items therefore the pivot tables can overlap if two adjoining pivot table both contain alot of information, how do I solve this problem I want the pivot table when refreshed to insert and move everthing else either down or across plese help ...

Pivot table order and limit
I have recently noticed that when I have a pivot table using two row headers, one column header and one or more page headers I can order and limit one of the row headers using the count function. When I change the count to a sum the limit will not work. If I remove one of the column headers, it then allows me to limit the data to the specified number of rows (eg top 20). Very frustrating!! Does anybody have any insight that they could share with me? ...

Stop Recording ToolBar dissappeared in my Excel WorkSheet?
I used Macro function in Excel WorkSheet.But now the Stop Recording/Relative Reference Button ToolBar for Macro does not appear any more?Can someone help me restore this option again? Regards Select Tools-Customize-Toolbar tab - Click 'Reset' and 'Ok' "Aamir" wrote: > I used Macro function in Excel WorkSheet.But now the Stop Recording/Relative > Reference Button ToolBar for Macro does not appear any more?Can someone help > me restore this option again? > Regards Once you click record macro, click right button on the tool bar, select 'Stop reco...

Hyperlinks in Excel/Word
Recently, when trying to open hyperlinks from Excel & Word, I get an error box that pops up and says "An error has occurred." and I can't open links from the spreadsheets & documents. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Pivot Table Refresh Changes Color Scheme for Some Cells
Office 2007 XP SP3 I want to display a Pivot Table output in a certain (blue) format. When I refresh a Pivot Table, the color scheme on some cells changes, in my case from blue to orange. Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated. 8^> ...

Authentication prompt while opening Excel/word files from IE8
While opening Excel or Word documents from intranet websites in IE8, we are seeing authentication prompt and after providing credentials the file is opening fine. Surprisingly if I cancel the authentication prompt, the file is still opening fine!! Is this problem related to IE or Office? How to fix the issue? I tried following but nothing worked: -Moved website from intranet zone and added to trusted sites -Reset IE8 settings -From Firefox the files are opening fine. FF is downloading file to local disk and opening it. -Changed default browser to Firefox and tried to open Exce...

merging excel files
I have two excel files one where there is already information abou budgets with headings and figures and a file that has just th labels...im trying to make it so when i input the numbers from one fil that they automatically are filled in the correct cells in the othe file...is this possible? I understand you can do this from one shee to another using a formula but im not sure if you can do it from fil to file...any help would be appreciated thanks -- Etringal ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Etringale's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...

is there anyway to make it so the users of my excel spread sheet cant view the macro code w/o a password?
is there anyway to make it so the users of my excel spread sheet cant view the macro code w/o a password? While you're in the VBE: Select your project Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection tab Give it a memorable password. Daniel wrote: > > is there anyway to make it so the users of my excel spread sheet cant view > the macro code w/o a password? -- Dave Peterson ...

Excel Embedded Object not Updating
In order to get the functionality and graphing ability of Excel I placed an unbound Excel Object on a form with the spreadsheet data source linked to another Excel file external to the database. My problem is when I open this form, I can't get the data in the graph to update unless I double click and "activate" the object. Is there a way to force the object to update automatically upon opening the form ? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Adam ...

Excel macro to create e-mail in Outlook Web Access
Hi, Where I work they've changed from Outlook 2003 to Outlook Web Access. At the end of each day I send a report by e-mail to several other people in the organisation. To date I've used a macro in Excel that takes figures from a worksheet and creates an e-mail in Outlook. If I'm logged in to Outlook Web Access, can I still get an Excel macro to create an e-mail message? Thanks, DL ...

Financial modelling from Excel to Access
Hi there, I'm working for a manufacturing company in FMCG industry. One of m jobs is to build and maintain an activity based financial model i Excel which simulates the whole group's financial performance based o current/projected sales & manufacturing conditions. The model ca enable user to drill down to SKU level to analyse the profitability Because I don't have access to our ERP system's database, I have t replicate all master data I need in various tables in the mode workbook. That means the model has its build-in database in Exce worksheets. The model is 100% dynamic...

Excel should provide the facility to compare two spreadsheets
Excel only synchronises the 2 windows in the so-called "Compare Side by Side" feature. This is misleading as the comparison has to be made manually by the user, and is also is not stated in the help. This feature should be called "synchronised windows", and a proper compare feature added to the tools menu. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open th...

Excel 2007 #6
Hi everyone, I ned soem help, I had to change my regional settings to accomodate a legacy app on Vista. Now, when I double click CSV files it does not do the text-to-columns auto-magically. Any ideas on how to switch that back on without changing my regional settings? Thanks Ivor ...

Copy table text to Excel worksheet
I'm using Office XP and am putting text I typed in tables from Word into an Excel spreadsheet due to the columns expanding way beyond 11x17, Word's maximum width I believe. I set up my Excel spreadsheet columns to be wide enough to accept the text (8 columns across) but after copying, it put it all in the first column. Aside from copying each block of text individually, is there a quick way to do this? thanks so much, Regina Hi Regina yes, select your first column and choose data / text to columns you can then choose how your data is separated etc - if this doesn't work well...

Excel 2007 Conditional Formatting problem
I have a conditional format that works fine on the previous version of Excel, but not so well on 2007. It is a formula condition: =AND($D$13 = "N",LEFT($D$6,2) = "AP")=TRUE D13 is the cell with the conditional format in it and D6 is a drop down of items, some of which start with "AP" and some of which start with "GL". (Basically, I'm having D13 turn red when D13 has a value of "N" and D6 starts with "AP".) It works just fine if you are changing the value of D13. It doesn't work at all if you are changing the value of D6-- ...

Import Large Text into Excel Worksheet
I'm trying to open several large text file of 172800 lines for processing in Excel, however excel only allows 65536 lines in the worksheet. Text Import Wizard also present the same problem. Also, the max line I can start importing in Text Import Wizard is 32767 making it impossible for me to import the whole 172800 lines in the file. My intention is to import the large text into several worksheet i.e. 172800 distributed nicely into 3 worksheets but I do not know how. I've 1400 or 11GB or such .txt files to open into excel so manual spliting the .txt files are not an option. Would...

I cant find my other rows in excel
Where did you look? ns1634 wrote: -- Dave Peterson Not much info to work with. Do you mean they are hidden? If that is the case, highlight the row header on either side of the missing rows then right click and select unhide. HTH Martin "ns1634" <ns1634@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7C00220-57BF-4AA9-ABFF-A5CE9FC8FDD6@microsoft.com... > Or maybe data|filter|show all Who knows????? MartinW wrote: > > Not much info to work with. > Do you mean they are hidden? > If that is the case, highlight the row header on either > side of ...

How can I get Excel to calulate correctly in vba
Using Excel VBA I cannot get my spreadsheet to calculate properly. I am using Worksheets("Calculation sheet").Calculate, calculate, I am finding and replacing '=', and I am sending keys using SendKeys "%^{F9}", True.......but a cell still does not calculate. Once I stop the code & hit F9 it then does calculate! Does anyone have any advice please? Hi try application.calculate Regards JulieD "confusedcalculator" <confusedcalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74D421BB-FF4D-4CE6-809C-9EFCEE04879D@microsoft.com... > Us...