Excel link update question

I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to
other
workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to
change all
the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula
"='[aug_28.xls]sheet1'
!A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do
this with
Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed.
The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour
to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell
me how
to shut down the link updating when I am changing the links. So, I can
update
them all together after I finsihed all changes. This should be much
faster
because many links are linked to different places of the same workbook.
When,
updating together, the linked workbook will only be openned once.
Hope I got myself understood. Thanks in advance!

--
hiwan99
hiwan99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24936

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could use a macro that turns off calcuation>does the find/replace>turns
it back on. Or, just use the INDIRECT function IF the other workbook is
open.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

> I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to
> other
> workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to
> change all
> the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula
> "='[aug_28.xls]sheet1'
> !A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do
> this with
> Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed.
> The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour
> to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell
> me how
> to shut down the link updating when I am changing the links. So, I can
> update
> them all together after I finsihed all changes. This should be much
> faster
> because many links are linked to different places of the same workbook.
> When,
> updating together, the linked workbook will only be openned once.
> Hope I got myself understood. Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> hiwan99
> hiwan99's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24936
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=439731

0
Don
9/6/2005 6:18:46 PM
I tried that also, but I didn't work. The link is still updated every
time.