Excel link update question

I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to
other
workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to
change all
the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula
"='[aug_28.xls]sheet1'
!A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do
this with
Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed.
The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour
to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell
me how
to shut down the link updating when I am changing the links. So, I can
update
them all together after I finsihed all changes. This should be much
faster
because many links are linked to different places of the same workbook.
When,
updating together, the linked workbook will only be openned once.
Hope I got myself understood. Thanks in advance!

--
hiwan99
hiwan99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24936

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could use a macro that turns off calcuation>does the find/replace>turns
it back on. Or, just use the INDIRECT function IF the other workbook is
open.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

> I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to
> other
> workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to
> change all
> the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula
> "='[aug_28.xls]sheet1'
> !A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do
> this with
> Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed.
> The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour
> to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell
> me how
> to shut down the link updating when I am changing the links. So, I can
> update
> them all together after I finsihed all changes. This should be much
> faster
> because many links are linked to different places of the same workbook.
> When,
> updating together, the linked workbook will only be openned once.
> Hope I got myself understood. Thanks in advance!
>

> --
> hiwan99
> hiwan99's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24936
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=439731

0
Don
9/6/2005 6:18:46 PM
I tried that also, but I didn't work. The link is still updated every
time.

--
hiwan99
hiwan99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24936
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=439731

Stupid question regarding reports
I am a former Quicken user switching to Money and I have what seems to me a very dumb report question. How do I create a new report? I've looked in the help file and in the online tutorial and users guide and find plenty of references to customizing an existing report but nothing about creating a new one. I realize that it must be there somewhere. Someone please help this dummy (it would be nice if they gave you even a 5 page manual though). Bob Had me guessing for a while also. Just click on "reports" and select which one you want. Don't forget to use "custom...

Excel 2007

Exchange update problem

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Address book updating...

Excel not Access

Before Update on record select

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

Excel DNS query

Excel Problem

why are links to websites (inserted in publisher documents) disab.
why are links to websites and e-mailadresses (inserted in publisher documents) still working in emailpreview but disabled in webpage preview? ...

How can I set an alarm Excel?
I would like to set an audible alarm in Excel based on a cell value. Try this in the worksheet VBA editor. If the value of A5 is greater than 50 you get a beep. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim frequency As Long Dim duration As Long If Target <> Range("A5") Then Exit Sub If Target.Value > 50 Then frequency = 4160 duration = 1500 Call Beep(frequency, duration) End If End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Annell" <Annell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE8AA18-3F14-4A92-941D-053922417AB2@mic...

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...

Question about Cell Borders
I need to be able to set a default cell border style, thickness and color, such that when the Border button on the Format toolbar is clicked, that border will be consistently applied to the selected cells. Is there any way to permanently change the border produced by the toolbar button. Thanks Kevin I don't know of any way to reliably do what you're after. However, a better solution would be to create a new toolbar button and attach a macro that you record (Tools/Macros/Record new macro) applying the border style, thickness and color that you want. In article <C4FC8DC5-C...