Excel is calculating strange since a long time ... (0.05+(-0.07)+0.02+0) =?

Type in a column

0.05
-0.07
0.02
0

and sum up all.

What's the result ? -3.46945E-18

Common, where did they go to school ?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

See

    http://cpearson.com/excel/rounding.aspx

In article <1191305712.538436.6370@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
 weggler.willi@gmail.com wrote:

> Type in a column
>
> 0.05
> -0.07
> 0.02
> 0
>
> and sum up all.
>
> What's the result ? -3.46945E-18
>
> Common, where did they go to school ?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/2/2007 6:25:54 AM
Excel and almost every other computer program maintain decimal (base 10)
numbers in binary (base 2) floating point. Binary (base 2) has two numbers,
0 and 1, which is what computers understand.  If a base 10 number is an
integer, it can be represented exactly in base 2. However if it has a
decimal fraction, many times it can only be approximated in base 2. For
example, 0.1 and 0.4 can be represented only approximately in base 2 whereas
0.5 can be represented exactly. To see how a base 10 number is represented
in base 2, 32 bit and 64 bit floating point, see:
http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/IEEE-754/Decimal.html  This allows you to enter a
decimal number, see its base 2 representation and see the resultant decimal
number. For example 77.1 decimal after conversion to base 2, 32 bit floating
point,  and back to base 10 is 77.099998.

<weggler.willi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Type in a column
>
> 0.05
> -0.07
> 0.02
> 0
>
> and sum up all.
>
> What's the result ? -3.46945E-18
>
> Common, where did they go to school ?

0
Wondering1 (40)

Help with Excel
I have windows xp on my new computer and it don't support excel, i have file on my old computer with excel how can i get excel to work with my xp version You will need to put Excel on your new machine - it is NOT part of Windows. If you have the Excel or MS Office disk from the old machine you can use that to install the applications on the new PC. Of course, once you have it running you must uninstall the apps for the old PC. You can install Excel 97, Excel 2000, Excel 2002 or Excel 2003 on the new PC. If you do not have the disks then you are in for a shopping spree. Best wishes Berna...

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

CRM 3.0 and Web Site Alert email
I installed CRM 30 SBE on our SBS Premium box and it installed fine. It seems to be functional too, even the reports. But i have been getting an email warning: Web Site Alert from SBS 2003 stating: "http://SERVER:5555/MSCRMServices request failed: Critical condition. HTTP Status: 400 Bad Request Response Time (msec): 0. (WMI Status: 0 )" It sends me the email every 3 minutes. I also tried accessing this URL and i get: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer error message stating: You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you su...

Excel and Windows Live Mail
Hi all I update my Mail add-in and VBA code examples to avoid the error if you use Windows Live Mail as your default mail program. More information in the blog post : http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2010/04/25/windows-live-mail-wlm-and-excel-problem-part-two/ If you have problems let me know so I can update the code/add-in if needed Thanks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

ODBC server changed
Hi I have some Excel 97 files that used to pull in data from a Unix box using an ODBC driver (U/SQL from Transoft). We have upgraded to a new server which has a different IP address and now the embedded queries have stopped working. Is there any way to change the data source in the Excel 97 file? I noticed by opening the file with a text editor that the old IP address is buried in there but I can't change it as it corrupts the file. The query was created with Data > Get External Data > Create New Query. It has not been saved as a separate MS Query file. If I do manage to edi...

Linking to Another Excel File (File Name Changes)
Hi, I have 2 separate Excel file worksheets. Basically, one file is updated each month and will have a different name (example: File052007 for May, File062007 for June, File072007 for July, etc.). Currently, I'm trying to link cells in my other file to the updated file, but I don't know how to set the link so that it can change each month. I was trying the concatenate or (A1&A2&A3) options to try to link cells together, but haven't had much luck. Here is what the formula should look like: ='C:\FOLDER\[File052007.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1 I made 2 cells in this worksheet ...

Excel charts won't appear or preview. Help!
Hello, In Excell 2003 I cannot get my charts or graphs to appear or preview. I was able too at first. But I accidentally hit right click and then clear several times after having created template line chart for the first time. This subsequently one at a time removed different aspects of my chart until my chart was gone. And now i cannot get the charts to appear again. Not even a preview. Thank you in advance foe your help and advice. This problim has been solved. Thank you. ...

how long does outlook 2003 save sent items?
i just looked today and all of my sent items from the past 4 years are GONE!!! i do not use archiving, and i have checked my old archive folder for them, they are not there. any help would be much appreciated - r gatestoo <gatestoo@hotmail.com> wrote: > i just looked today and all of my sent items from the past 4 years are > GONE!!! Then you deleted them somehow or are hiding them with a view filter because Outlook doesn't delete anything automatically, unless you've instructed it to do so. -- Brian Tillman ...

Take long time to load Outlook 2002 approx. 60 seconds
I tried to update the latest windows service pack 1 updates in order to help me to fix any errors related but still the same problem. The loading time taken for Microsoft Outlook takes approx. a minute, even though, my inbox is empty. However, most of the usage is for the contacts only. HELP! ...

Oppurtunities not calculating?
WHen I create an oppurtunity it calculates the pricing based on the Unit Price of the product, but does not apply any volume discounts as per the price list. If I create a quote, it calculates it... How can I make the oppurtunity calculate the discount?> ...

Adding and subtracting hours in Excel 2000 worksheet
I'm having some success with the addition part but not with the subtracting part! I have an Excel spreadsheet that is used to keep track of time worked by staff on a weekly basis and I need to keep track of the overtime worked. For example, one staff member has worked 40 hours, 54 minutes and 25 seconds in a week (displayed in a cell as 40:54:25 with the cell formatted as Category: --> Time and Type:--> 37:30:55). I then went to subtract 40 hours from the total hours worked to get the overtime displayed and thats where I'm having the problem. I tried the format of "=F9 -...

Time Zone Change
Hi, I'm running 2003 server with 2003 exchange. I have applied KB931836 to the 2003 server as well as all XP SP2 clients. I have installed KB926666 to Exchange. I then ran the Exchange Calendar Update tool against all users in Exchange. The server and all users are in EST. After running the tool it changed all appointments back 1 hour so that something that was booked at 9 is now booked at 8. Is this normal? I then changed my time on XP to March 11 at 1:59am and let it roll over to the new time change and went back into outlook. The appointment was still 1 hour behind. Is t...

CRM 3.0 Installation help...2 errors
Going through the system requirements part of the setup I get a Warning on the IIS part. It cant access the URL-- Error accessing URL http://IRONWOOD-CRM: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. The second error I get is : Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://ironwood-crm/ReportServer. Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. Chris Holub MCP CCNA 1. Check your IIS and default CRM virtual directory is there issue accecing, can you send me detail or s...

Microsoft Excel #2
Why can't I close my Excel application by clicking the x button in the upper right hand corner of the application. This is Excel 2002. Is there a way to do this? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Seum Is the "x" button grayed out and unavailable? Are using using Groupwise? If that's the problem. See this MSKB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199 Article is specific for 2000 but I think it is valid for other versions. It gives a workaround (use the file menu) and instructions as to how to remove the Groupwise add-i...

table of contents in excel
Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel (similar to Words TOC). Or alternatively how to insert the current page number into a cell so that it can be cross-referenced. Thanks Nick Hi Nick, See David McRitchies TOC page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm --- Regards, Norman "nickH" <nickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28FEEDC1-6091-4FC4-BD5C-5CE2A6116A5E@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to create a dynamic table of contents in Excel > (similar > to Words TOC). Or alternatively ho...

excell formula needed
Hi, In Excell, I'm trying to match a cell (eg H21,with a num value (eg 2530) to a column of figures (M34:M99) that has one match in it and produce a grading A, B, C, D from a column (N34:N99). Anyone have any ideas? Rob. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =Vlookup(H21,$M$34:$N$99,2,false) Bernard "terrificRob" <terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:terrificRob.uixfy@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > In Ex...

opening excel document with shell as read only
Hello, I am presently using access to open an excel file by using the shell command. Is it possible by some command e.g. \readonly to open the excel file as read only? Cheers If you're automating excel from another program, you may be able to just create an instance of excel and open your workbook readonly: This worked for me from MSWord: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myXL As Object On Error Resume Next Set myXL = GetObject(, "Excel.Application") If Err.Number = 429 Then Set myXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") End If On Error GoTo 0 myXL.Visible =...

Scroll Bars Do Not Appear in Excel XP
One of our Office XP for Small Business users (running Win XP Pro SP 2) is no longer able to see the horizontal scroll bar in any of his Excel files -- files that used to display correctly a few days ago. He also can no longer see the three colored buttons in the top right of the screen (for Minimize, Zoom, Close). The scroll bars are set to display in the Prefs and we haven't changed any settings on our monitor -- any idea what we should do? Are the windows just not maximized? Try double clicking on the title bar at the top of the file and see if it snaps back into place. Lee &g...

Graph Time Frequency Plot...
With MS Access 2003, I am trying to create a graph of some events in our database. When an event occurs, they are time/date stamped. I can run a graph of those, but: How do I make the X-axis on a graph be straight time, so the dots on the graph appear at varying intervals (reflecting how often the events occurred). This is a touch easier in Excel... Do I need to export this to Excel all the time? or is there a way to do this in Access? Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking ... To graph only the time portion of your data (rather than date/time), use a query as the recordsour...

I Merge my list and it prints the same one address 10 times?
I am trying to make mailing labels with 5163 and I merge the sddress list that I created and it contiues to show it as one of the addresses 10 times???? How do I get each address to sshow and print up? I don't need to send out ten things to one person I need to send ten things to ten diffrent people.....So annoyed. Help please Are you looking at print preview? Are you using 2003 or 02? All the labels being the same is a Publisher bug. If you are unsure print a test on plain paper. If you are using 2007, File, Print merge, select *Multiple pages per sheet.* -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP h...

Error message with CAPICOM 2.1.0.2 Not enough storage is available
Hi everybody, I need some help. With CAPICOM 2.1.0.1, when I try to store certificates from a smart card I use Store := CoStore.Create; Cert:=CreateComObject(CLASS_Certificate) as ICertificate2; Store.Open(CAPICOM_SMART_CARD_USER_STORE, 'MY',CAPICOM_STORE_OPEN_READ_ONLY); without any problem. I have updated with CAPICOM 2.1.0.2, and the same code produces an error message:"Not enough storage is available to complete this operation" when store.open. I need use this library. My os is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002. SP3. My Internet e...

I have MS Office XP Prof. & need System Office pack 2.0 or later
I just recently installed the Windows 7 Operating System on my computer. I use Microsoft Office XP Professional as my office software. While editing a document I received the following message: " The Office Assistant requires Microsoft Agent 2.0 or later. This product is available on the Office System Pack." Where can I get this? The link to request a hotfix is here: <http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=969168&kbln=en-us> The full article is here: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969168> hth Sabrina wrote: > &g...

Macro Not Loading XLSART excel
I have created a macro and placed into the xlstart folder and the macro will load at first. At some point, the macro stops loading, yet the macro is still in the xlstart folder. Any thoughts? S Macros don't load from the XLSTART folder. Workbooks load from the XLSTART folder. The macro must be in workbook. Is your macro stored in a file named Personal.xls or in another workbook? Is the macro in a general module or Thisworkbook module or Worksheet module. Show us your macro code. More information please. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:05:49 -0700, "S Crowel...

Outlook Ex[ress 6.0 BCC in Sent Box
I am using Win XP Outlook Express 6.0 After I send mail using the BCC Email in the sent box does not show the BCC recipients, even after I select "all headers" Hi, Hal - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.window...