Excel hyperlink "Cannot open the specified file"

Hi - I realize this has been asked but none of the answers worked for me.

MSExcel 12.2.9 for Mac
MacOSx10.7

I want to hyperlink a .rtf file or other xls. files to cells in an Excel worksheet.

Will the Insert>Hyperlink, I select Documents>Select file (and the Finder opens for you to choose a file) and the "link to" box is populated with the file path looking like this

ucla%20stata%20mi%20notes.rtf

and the text is hyperlinked to the .rtf or .xls and highlighted in blue in the cell

Clicking on the text reveals the document path starting with

file:\\localhost

 and a pop-up states  "Cannot open the specified file"

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong? thanks in advance

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Excel hyperlink "Cannot open the specified file"
Hi - I realize this has been asked but none of the answers worked for me. MSExcel 12.2.9 for Mac MacOSx10.7 I want to hyperlink a .rtf file or other xls. files to cells in an Excel worksheet. Will the Insert>Hyperlink, I select Documents>Select file (and the Finder opens for you to choose a file) and the "link to" box is populated with the file path looking like this ucla%20stata%20mi%20notes.rtf and the text is hyperlinked to the .rtf or .xls and highlighted in blue in the cell Clicking on the text reveals the document path starting with file:\\localhost and a pop-u...

Hyperlink with #
Hi! Encountered err "Cannot open the specified file" when hyperlink path consists of "#", example "C:\My document\1# Pictures\Picture1.gif" how to overcome this; but do not want to rename folder name as there are too many. ...