Excel help needed! Over my head!

Hello,
Hoping someone can help me out, would be much appreciated. Here is
what I am trying to do:

I have several spreadsheets, each with 46,000 rows of data. I need to
analyze it in a couple of different ways. I am very strong with Excel,
but some of these formulas I need are blowing me away a bit. Hopefully
an expert on here can help me out! Would appreciate it very much!

1. Is there a way (possibly in MS Access, if not Excel?) to compare
two individual tables or sheets, and have a resulting table showing a
list of every row of data where a change occured in one or more cells?
My example is I have a table of data from Jan 1, and one from Apr 1,
and I need to find where changes have been made between the two dates,
in any one of the 50+ columns. I have tried using the "find unmatched
query wizard" in Access, but that will only find me the lines of data
where there is no match between sheet A and B for the "matching field"
I select. I want to have a query or search run that returns every line
where information was added or modified, between sheet A and B.

And then further to this, and this might be making it too complicated,
I don't know... is there a way to get a count of the number of changes
by "groupings" (i.e. if there are 400 rows for city A, 500 rows for
city B, 300 rows for city C, and 500 rows for city D, and there were a
total of 75 rows where data was changed between the Jan 1 and Apr 1
sheets, can I run a count to see how many of the 75 rows were city A
vs city B vs city C vs City D?

2. Counting blank cells: I need to be able to make a chart in Tab A
showing City A, B, C, and D, counting the total number of blank cells
in Col E, Col F, and Col G (all three columns counted separately) in
Tab B, for each of City A, B, C, and D (Tab B is a huge database list
of unsorted data, with rows of data for each City). What is the
formula for this?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me with this. Much, much
appreciated. I will monitor this group all day for any replies, so if
you need more information, or have any quesitons, please let me know.

Cheers,
Dave
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I have replied to this message in the .programming group, so look there for it, if you are
interested in following this thread.

Bernie
MS Excel MVP

<daveallston@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Hoping someone can help me out, would be much appreciated. Here is
> what I am trying to do:
>
> I have several spreadsheets, each with 46,000 rows of data. I need to
> analyze it in a couple of different ways. I am very strong with Excel,
> but some of these formulas I need are blowing me away a bit. Hopefully
> an expert on here can help me out! Would appreciate it very much!
>
> 1. Is there a way (possibly in MS Access, if not Excel?) to compare
> two individual tables or sheets, and have a resulting table showing a
> list of every row of data where a change occured in one or more cells?
> My example is I have a table of data from Jan 1, and one from Apr 1,
> and I need to find where changes have been made between the two dates,
> in any one of the 50+ columns. I have tried using the "find unmatched
> query wizard" in Access, but that will only find me the lines of data
> where there is no match between sheet A and B for the "matching field"
> I select. I want to have a query or search run that returns every line
> where information was added or modified, between sheet A and B.
>
> And then further to this, and this might be making it too complicated,
> I don't know... is there a way to get a count of the number of changes
> by "groupings" (i.e. if there are 400 rows for city A, 500 rows for
> city B, 300 rows for city C, and 500 rows for city D, and there were a
> total of 75 rows where data was changed between the Jan 1 and Apr 1
> sheets, can I run a count to see how many of the 75 rows were city A
> vs city B vs city C vs City D?
>
> 2. Counting blank cells: I need to be able to make a chart in Tab A
> showing City A, B, C, and D, counting the total number of blank cells
> in Col E, Col F, and Col G (all three columns counted separately) in
> Tab B, for each of City A, B, C, and D (Tab B is a huge database list
> of unsorted data, with rows of data for each City). What is the
> formula for this?
>
> Thank you very much to anyone who can help me with this. Much, much
> appreciated. I will monitor this group all day for any replies, so if
> you need more information, or have any quesitons, please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

0
Bernie

Can you create a performance dashboard using Excel?
I'd like to create performance dashboards for organizations. These would consist of multiple charts on one page reflecting current and year to date performance for key measures. Is there an Excel template that does this? ...

Excel General Ledger
I need a General Ledger template to run my small business. Does anyone out there have a general ledger format already developed for excel they want to share? "Ted" <Ted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9C319B6-7315-46FB-9674-209E0C0692F1@microsoft.com... > I need a General Ledger template to run my small business. Does anyone out > there have a general ledger format already developed for excel they want to > share? I'm sure you can find one here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx /Fredrik Here's simple templat...

Excel crashes on startup also on inital file then others

Acrobat file to Excel worksheet
I need to take a 16 page acrobat file and put into an Excel worksheet. I've seen advertisements converters for PDF to Word. Don't know if there's anything similar for Excel. Try a Google search. If you don't find anything, this will be a manual copy and paste operation. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:05:02 -0700, Billie <Billie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to take a 16 page acrobat file and put into an Excel worksheet. Can you talk to the creator of the file and see if it is available as a XL file? "Billie" <Billie@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Excel VBA / Data Sorting / Maniputaltion
i have a long list, which i imported from other data base. The problem is: 1. In each cell, besides data (data is in alphabates) there are som numeric characters which i dont want . How can i get rid of all those unwanted numbers from data, from all th list? 2. The data is in every second row, ie. one row is empty. How can i Delete those empty/blank rows from the list -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com 1. I think we will need to see a sample of your data 2. Sort the data -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am sending the sample data file... ...

Outlook 2007- import contacts from excel spreadsheet????
I have saved my contacts in an Excel 97-2003 spreadsheet with 1st row titles i.e. Name, address. I have tried naming ranges by individual columns and by naming the range as the whole spreadsheet. In the wizard, after choosing Excel 97-03 and next, it tells me I need to define the ranges. I can't even get to mapping. What can I do? An alternative option Outlook & Excel - Importing from/Exporting To http://www.contactgenie.com/blog/?p=75 Karl -- ____________________________________________________________ Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group ContactGenie - QuickP...

Can Excel email someone when a cell goes + or
So sort of like Conditional formatting where it changes colour - instead it adds rules to send an automatic email... Is this reaching for the stars? Start here Reload Internet http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/change.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Reload Internet" <Reload Internet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:489C49F6-1F69-42FF-BFD9-0986EE9D4AA8@microsoft.com... > So sort of like Conditional formatting where it changes colour - instead it > adds rules to send an automatic email... Is this reaching for the stars? I bet VBA...

Excel crashes when writing formula referencing to external workbook in freeze frame
This is a problem in Excel 2003. Not sure it exists in later version. Scenerio: In sheet1 of book1, the frame was frozen (freeze frame) to see the top rows. In sheet1 of book2, there is no freeze frame. Write any formula in sheet1, book1 that references sheet1 of book2 will cause Excel to crash. Work around: Un-freeze frame in sheet1 of book1 before writing the referencing formula. Or, freeze a frame in sheet1 of book2 before writing the formula in book1. The key is, both sheets (the originating sheet and the destination sheet in the external book) must be synchronized ...

help with colors please
I want to make a form more user friendly. How can I tint the cells tha they can modify, but not have the color print on paper? also I have a button on the form for saving the current record. th button is pressed, a box appears asking which sheet to print, and if change my mind and press cancel i get a "debug" box. is there a way t not have that box appear, since it's not really needed -- -Brian-H ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Brian-H-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=566 View this thre...

Need Help with #N/A in equation
I have a set equation that needs to be run on about a thousand different entries. A simplified version of the equation would be =A+B+C-D. The only problem is, "B" is only found in some of the entries. So for the majority of the times the equation is run for the different entries, it works, but when "B" is nonexistent, the equation returns a #N/A value. Is there anyway I can keep the set equation but make it work when B does not exist? -- mkerstei ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mkerstei's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com...

I need a template that could help me create a legal gaurdian doc.
I need to create a legal gaurdian document. Can't find one on Micrsoft Melinda wrote: > I need to create a legal gaurdian document. Can't find one on Micrsoft Try this. http://www.ammachi.com/tours/amma-tours/images/templegalguardian_form.pdf Frank Contact a lawyer if you really care about it not being broken. Mike Melinda wrote: > I need to create a legal gaurdian document. Can't find one on Micrsoft ...

hyperlinks in excel #3
I have a spread sheet with hyperlinks to various access databases. The spreadsheet and the databases are in the same folder.(network folder) I run xp pro and office 2003. The data bases were created in access 97. On my machine the links work fine. On a machine running windows 98 it works. On a machin running xp pro but office 97 they will not work. Every time I run the hyperlink it opens the excel spreadsheet over the origanal and the link will not work. ...

Please help!!!!!!!!
I am trying to use data validation to select contacts by company name (I have 800 of them), my problem is I have several contacts from the same company and excel wont differentiate between them when I use the company name to sort. eg. if I select company 'x' it will show contact 'a1', when I want contact 'a2'. I dont know how to do this, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am also using the company information to vlookup the rest of the information that belongs with the company. Hi not sure i fully understand your question but does http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html...

How can I paste a table of data into Excel from a MSIE / web browser?
Hi Is there any way to paste out of a table on a web page, *straight* into msExcel2002, but without taking microsoft all the friggin Micro$oft formatting with it. I just want the data, but I also want the table structure! Copying out of Firefox into Excel and table structure is lost - it just splurges out in a single line; and copying out of MSIE (latest) and either all sorts of formatting comes with it, or the table structure is lost. So at present I paste out of MSIE into Excel, save as tab-delimited text. Close. Re-open. Have to scroll down to find the correct format out of drop-down li...

How zoom/increase font size of Office 2004 "Help" text? #2
Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components´┐Ż documents. How does one do this with the small-font text in Help? Respectfully, Norm (The original of this post was "lost" to the newsgroup and is now being re-sent.) On 9/14/04 5:57 PM, in article BD6CE16D.4A37%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > > (The original of this post was "lost" to the newsgroup and is now being > re-sent.) > It wasn...

Is 'system attendant' needed for OWA 2000 ?
I am following info below to secure my OWA server. System attendant is not listed. Do I need System Attendant 'running' on OWA 2000 ? Since the role of this server is to only support Web-based e-mail, many of the Exchange services installed by the default configuration can be disabled. The table shows the services that are configured in the OWA Front-end Server Policy. Table 3.5 Services configured in the OWA Front-end Server Policy Service Name Startup Mode Reason Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 Disabled OWA server not configured for IMAP4 Microsoft Exchange Informat...

Visio 2003
Hi all. I've been banging my head against the wall here, and would certainly appreciate a hand. I'm working on a reasonably-sized org chart of 400 companies using the Org Chart US Units template & stencil. The source is an Excel sheet with a combination of entered text, numbers, and formulas. Some of the columns are used to modify the appearance of the shape instance, for example, if the parent company is A, then the outline is regular black. But if it's B, then the outline is blue. Or if another value is C, then the shape is a regular rectangle, but if it's D, the co...

Embedding an object link into Excel 2000
I am trying to help someone with embedding an object link into excel. When clicking on the link, it should open say Paint Shop Pro 8. But I keep getting a message stating "Cannot start the source application for this object." The only way that it works is if the object is open in PSP 8 but to me that just defeats the purpose. Does anyone know how this can be done if PSP 8 is closed? Thanks in advance for any help! Did you try clicking the Create From File tab in the Object dialog box? I tried it and it opened a closed file in the associated program by double clicking...

Problems with MS Excel Help (Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business)
Just recently, when I go to help, when I click the "See Also" items, I get "an error has occurred in the script on this page" from Internet Explorer running script. Other data is: Line: 1 Char: 1 Error: Object doesn't support this property and Method. Code: 0 URL: mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft% 20Office\Office\1033\xlmain9.chm::/html/xlfctSIN.htm Also, in VBA help, for objects the items usually at the top of the page for properties, methods, events, etc. are replsaced by a small box with a period in it, and clicking these does nothing. I have unin...

Need help with cells
I need help. I want to be able to type in a numberin cell A1 and the description to appear on cell B1. Just by typing the number. thank you Look in the Excel help for the Vlookup command. You will need to have a table of the numbers with their descriptions saved somewhere. "mariflor" <mariflor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F284B62-4D22-4646-8BBD-0D1E7D586858@microsoft.com... >I need help. I want to be able to type in a numberin cell A1 and the > description to appear on cell B1. Just by typing the number. > thank you I can't seem to ge...

Formula help, compare amount in two cells
Thanks in advance for any help: I want to compare the amounts in two separate columns. If the amount in cell c4 is less than the amount in cell c6, then subtract c4 from c6 and put the result in c5 and color it red. I know this is simple but I just can't get it to work. Any help is really appreciated. In C5 put =IF(C4<C6,C6-C4,0) Then click on C5 and do Format > Conditional Format > Formula Is > =$C$5>0 and select Format > Patterns > and select Red color > OK > OK Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "29kilo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com...

Excel 2003 Charting
I have created a bar chart in Excel 2003 based on a formula that offers percentages building up from 0% to 100% (akin to a status bar). My problem is that it is showing the lowest percentage bar at the bottom of the graph when it should be at the top (just as my data is showing the lowest percentage at the top building up to 100% at the bottom). How do I change the direction? To do so, double-click on the Y-Axis (the category axis). That should bring up the Format Axis dialog box. Go to the Scale tab and select "Categories in Reverse Order". The X-Axis (value axis) should ha...

Excel Rows to Word Docs
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA6239.CE012580 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have an excel sheet where I log all my company quotations (1 quotation = per excel row). The row contains such columns as :- a.. Date Received b.. Client Compnay c.. Client Name d.. Tender Price e.. Lead-in period etc. I would like to create a word document (letter) which uses certain cells = to populate various elements of the letter which is saved as a word = template. This would seem to ...

Why are my Excel files being saved to temp files?
When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name. Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical problems. mikerta wrote: -- Dave Peterson ec35720@netscape.com ...

VSTO Excel 2003 to VB 6.0 Type mismatch
Hi, I have an Addin 2003 Application. In this Application I'm calling an VB 6.0 Dll and I send Excel Application Object as Parameter. In VB Project I'm using Workbook_Open event with WithEvents. I have a messagebox there. Unfortunately when i call VB dll , I get this Error Message -- > Type mismatch. Is there any Idea? Code in VS2008 : private Project1.Class1 vbapp; private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { #region VSTO generated code this.Application = (Excel.Application)Microsoft....