excel function to get tab name

On the first tab in my worksheet, I have several cells in a colum in which
the cell reference returns the value of cell A1 from the subsequent tabs.
For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and in Tab1,
the formula in cell A2 is "=Tab2!A1", and the formula in cell A3 is
"=Tab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1".   Sometimes, I will add and delete
these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and then have to manually re-link
the references to A1 on each of these tabs back to the column on Tab1.  Is
there some way to do this with a relative reference formula?  I know there is
a way to get this with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for some
way to do it with a formula.  Thanks.
0
Don4849 (203)
7/1/2008 9:08:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

try
=INDIRECT("Tab"&ROW(A1)&"!A1")

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On the first tab in my worksheet, I have several cells in a colum in which
> the cell reference returns the value of cell A1 from the subsequent tabs.
> For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and in
> Tab1,
> the formula in cell A2 is "=Tab2!A1", and the formula in cell A3 is
> "=Tab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1".   Sometimes, I will add and delete
> these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and then have to manually
> re-link
> the references to A1 on each of these tabs back to the column on Tab1.  Is
> there some way to do this with a relative reference formula?  I know there
> is
> a way to get this with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for
> some
> way to do it with a formula.  Thanks.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/1/2008 9:24:21 PM
Don <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
=2E..
>For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and
>in Tab1, the formula in cell A2 is "=3DTab2!A1", and the formula in
>cell A3 is "=3DTab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1". =A0 Sometimes, I
>will add and delete these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and
>then have to manually re-link the references to A1 on each of these
>tabs back to the column on Tab1. =A0Is there some way to do this with
>a relative reference formula? =A0I know there is a way to get this
>with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for some way to
>do it with a formula. =A0Thanks.

Relative worksheet addressing in Excel, the last of the 2D
spreadsheets (Excel workbooks are at best collections of 2D
spreadsheets with a wee tiny bit of 3D-like reference syntax),
requires either VBA or XLM, so will trigger macro warnings whenever
you load workbooks containing such code.

Is this allowable? If so, search the Google Groups archive for the
term "relative worksheet". There have been several posts in this in
the past.
0
hrlngrv1 (375)
7/1/2008 9:26:45 PM
Can't get that formula to work as the tab names may change, be moved, or
deleted.  I'm basically looking for some kind of forumla that will return the
name of a spreadsheet tab, but not the tab I'm currently in, but the name of
the next tab, or the tab after that one, or the one after that one, etc. etc.
etc.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> try
> =INDIRECT("Tab"&ROW(A1)&"!A1")
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On the first tab in my worksheet, I have several cells in a colum in which
> > the cell reference returns the value of cell A1 from the subsequent tabs.
> > For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and in
> > Tab1,
> > the formula in cell A2 is "=Tab2!A1", and the formula in cell A3 is
> > "=Tab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1".   Sometimes, I will add and delete
> > these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and then have to manually
> > re-link
> > the references to A1 on each of these tabs back to the column on Tab1.  Is
> > there some way to do this with a relative reference formula?  I know there
> > is
> > a way to get this with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for
> > some
> > way to do it with a formula.  Thanks.

0
Don4849 (203)
7/1/2008 10:01:00 PM
You said, Tab1, Tab2, etc

--
> Can't get that formula to work as the tab names may change, be moved, or
> deleted.  I'm basically looking for some kind of forumla that will return
> the
> name of a spreadsheet tab, but not the tab I'm currently in, but the name
> of
> the next tab, or the tab after that one, or the one after that one, etc.
> etc.
> etc.
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> try
>> =INDIRECT("Tab"&ROW(A1)&"!A1")
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On the first tab in my worksheet, I have several cells in a colum in
>> > which
>> > the cell reference returns the value of cell A1 from the subsequent
>> > tabs.
>> > For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and in
>> > Tab1,
>> > the formula in cell A2 is "=Tab2!A1", and the formula in cell A3 is
>> > "=Tab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1".   Sometimes, I will add and
>> > delete
>> > these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and then have to manually
>> > re-link
>> > the references to A1 on each of these tabs back to the column on Tab1.
>> > Is
>> > there some way to do this with a relative reference formula?  I know
>> > there
>> > is
>> > a way to get this with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for
>> > some
>> > way to do it with a formula.  Thanks.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/1/2008 11:02:01 PM
"Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote...
>You said, Tab1, Tab2, etc

And how long have you been following newsgroups that the concept of
OPs oversimplifying examples in their postings comes as a surprise?

Even so, if the OP did start off with worksheets named Tab1, Tab2,
etc., then deletes Tab3, how does your approach automatically adjust
for that?

Here's another new concept for you: answer the question the OP asks
rather than the question you want to answer.
0
hrlngrv1 (375)
7/2/2008 12:56:16 AM
To make Harlan happy.
Sub listsheetsa1()
Dim i As Long
Dim lr As Long
Dim ws As Worksheet

  With Worksheets("Main")
    lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
         .Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(lr, 3)).ClearContents
    For i = 1 To Worksheets.Count
    lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
     Set ws = Worksheets(i)
      If UCase(ws.Name) <> "MAIN" Then
         .Cells(lr, 1).Value = ws.Name
         .Cells(lr, 2).Value = ws.CodeName
         .Cells(lr, 3).Value = ws.Range("a1")
      End If
    Next i
   End With
End Sub
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software
dguillett1@austin.rr.com
"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't get that formula to work as the tab names may change, be moved, or
> deleted.  I'm basically looking for some kind of forumla that will return
> the
> name of a spreadsheet tab, but not the tab I'm currently in, but the name
> of
> the next tab, or the tab after that one, or the one after that one, etc.
> etc.
> etc.
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> try
>> =INDIRECT("Tab"&ROW(A1)&"!A1")
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > On the first tab in my worksheet, I have several cells in a colum in
>> > which
>> > the cell reference returns the value of cell A1 from the subsequent
>> > tabs.
>> > For example, the workbook has 10 tabs named Tab1, Tab2...Tab10, and in
>> > Tab1,
>> > the formula in cell A2 is "=Tab2!A1", and the formula in cell A3 is
>> > "=Tab3!A1"....cell A10 is "Tab10!A1".   Sometimes, I will add and
>> > delete
>> > these subsequent tabs (Tab2 through Tab10) and then have to manually
>> > re-link
>> > the references to A1 on each of these tabs back to the column on Tab1.
>> > Is
>> > there some way to do this with a relative reference formula?  I know
>> > there
>> > is
>> > a way to get this with some kind of vb/vba/macro, but I was looking for
>> > some
>> > way to do it with a formula.  Thanks.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/2/2008 1:04:13 PM
Wouldn't this do that, assuming all named Tab1, Tab2, etc as in the OP.
Of course, it would leave a blank row
=IF(ISERR(INDIRECT("Tab"&(ROW(A1)&"!A1"))),"",INDIRECT("tab"&ROW(A1)&"!a1"))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote...
>>You said, Tab1, Tab2, etc
>
> And how long have you been following newsgroups that the concept of
> OPs oversimplifying examples in their postings comes as a surprise?
>
> Even so, if the OP did start off with worksheets named Tab1, Tab2,
> etc., then deletes Tab3, how does your approach automatically adjust
> for that?
>
> Here's another new concept for you: answer the question the OP asks
> rather than the question you want to answer.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
7/2/2008 2:42:12 PM
"Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote...
>Wouldn't this do that, assuming all named Tab1, Tab2, etc as in the
>OP. Of course, it would leave a blank row

1. You're still insisting that the OP's actual worksheet names are
Tab1, Tab2, etc.

2. Your formula would handle worksheet deletion but not worksheet
insertion. OP did say "Sometimes, I will **ADD** and delete these
subsequent tabs" [emphasis mine].
0
hrlngrv1 (375)
7/2/2008 3:32:32 PM
"Don Guillett" <dguille...@austin.rr.com> wrote...
>To make Harlan happy.

Happier I'd be if you had provided something dynamic that would
automatically change when the user changes anything rather than a
macro that would need to be rerun manually.

Let me help you with some examples.

VBA udf approach:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions/msg/da0f6e91b058ac38
(or http://tinyurl.com/4unhtr )

Use the showoff function in formulas like

Tab1!A2:  =showoff($A$1,ROWS(A$2:A2))

filled down into Tab1!A10, so Tab1!A2:A10 would evaluate to the values
in Tab2:Tab10!A1, and would change automatically when worksheets were
inserted, deleted, renamed or rearranged.

XLM approach:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions/msg/77d17cad6db2d825
(or http://tinyurl.com/4vq3dl )

Use the defined name WSLST in formulas like

Tab1!A2:  =INDIRECT("'"&INDEX(WSLST,ROWS(A$1:A2))&"!A1")

with behavior similar to that of the previous udf when worksheets are
inserted, deleted, renamed or rearranged.

As I already told the OP, this was in the Google Groups archive.
0
hrlngrv1 (375)

excel viewer #2
Won't microsoft provide a simple, small and fresh Excel Viewer? Version 97/2k is obsolete, using the 100% of processor time and simply: it's not good. I think not everybody buys Excel and Office so there should be always fresh viewers (like Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc) best regards, on "on" <on@vnet.hu> wrote in message news:O1DNPQveEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Won't microsoft provide a simple, small and fresh Excel Viewer? > Version 97/2k is obsolete, using the 100% of processor time > and simply: it's not good. > I think not everybody buys ...

why does excel ignore page formating after selecting rows to repe.
I have a Pivot table to which I wish to print excluding the "Page" items but include the Table headings. I have also set the document to print 1 page wide by up to 999 pages tall. It previews fine except for when I select the table headings (row $3$3) to be repeated at the top. After I make that selection, the preview shows all the data being printed on only 5 pages instead of 31. I don't know what I am missing to cause this unexpected result. ...

Outlook 2003: Copy Full Names to email display Names
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. I believe 2000 used to choose email addresses based on the Full Name field. 2003 appears to choose based on the Email Display name. Most of my email Display Names are just the email addresses. What is the easiest way to copy the Full Name to the email Display Name? What do you mean by "choose email addresses?" The Display Name has varied with each version of Outlook, but it is of no consequence. What makes you think it is? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message new...

Are there any excel template for creating POIs for Garmin units
I'm looking for a template in which I can create points of interest for a Garmin 340c. Not that I know of but have you tried the free POI software from Garmin? http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/ Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:24:00 -0700, Fremen <Fremen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm looking for a template in which I can create points of interest for a >Garmin 340c. ...

How do you create dual drop down menus in excel 2000?
I can create a single drop down menu, but need to add a qualifier next to lists on menu. HELP!!!!!! If drop-down created with Data Validation>List, check out Debra Dalgleish's site for dependent lists. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:51:03 -0800, "Phlashh" <Phlashh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I can create a single drop down menu, but need to add a qualifier next to >lists on menu. HELP!!!!!! ...

multiple 3D equations in one excel surface chart
hi all i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one excel surface chart does anyone have simple way of doing it i have the link for one equation chart but from there i'm little bit lost http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/3d_surface/ What's the problem? If your data is of 3D type, just plot it as such. -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "thread" wrote: > hi all > i'm trying to draw in excel multiple 3d equtions(x,y,z) inside of one > excel...

VB code to import Excel sheet
I'm looking for the VB code to copy an Excel Sheet to an Access 2007 table. The sheet in is a know location. I also want to clear the Access table prior to importing the Excel Sheet. Thanks Take a look at what Ken Snell has at http://www.accessmvp.com/KDSnell/EXCEL_Import.htm -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "BobC" <Bob.CallenNoSpamm@cox.net> wrote in message news:TBgZm.57278$ZF3.39461@newsfe13.iad... > I'm looking for the VB code to copy an Excel Sheet to an Access 2007 > table. The she...

Excel
When using MS Works I can enter letters and numbers in a cell and the total of the cells in a row will be calculated correctly(for my particular requirement) by ignoring anyone of the cells in the row which has letters and numbers together. All the cells are formated as 'General'. When I try to do this task in Excel it gives an error in the result cell. Note that any cell may have a mixture of letters and cells. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you James Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Bing Search RSS with Silverlight 3 RIA Domain Ser...

Pocket Excel Graphic Lost
I developed a spreadsheet that included my company's logo in Excel 2002. I saved it to my PPC file for conversion by ActiveSync for my WinCE 2002. I want to use the spreadsheet from my PPC. I tried both the .png and .jpg image file types. The graphic is not on the Pocket Excel version of the document. Is there a problem with Pocket Excel keeping graphics? If not, what image format should I use for graphics in Pocket Excel? Or, is there a switch I need to use? Sorry, the correct e-mail address is bschmidt@westechnology.net >-----Original Message----- >I developed a spreads...

Planning training in Excel
I have been tasked to organise training for my company and they have asked me to use MS Project, which has totally blown my mind. Having done some investigating Project will not give me the answers that I need surprisingly, but I am hoping Excel will I am really trying hard to figure a way of schedulign training for 200 individuals, with 20 different modules (fixed dates) and take into account holidays. So for instance Joe Bloggs needs to attend Module A, B & D over the next 3 months, but he also has 2 weeks holiday booked. There are four other people in his department but I can only all...

File size is larger in XP than in Excel 97
Has anyone noticed that excel files that contain imported data are larger in XP than in 97? Why, any ideas? Thanks Kathy .. ...

copy paste problems for chart from excel to power point, solution
I am really having troubles copying excel charts to power point, the charts are getting messed up after copying and pasting to power point. I tried everyting, turned off auto scale and selected the don't move or resize with cells option and still having the same problem, any idea how to fix that? Thanks! On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Jean <Jean@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am really having troubles copying excel charts to power point, the charts >are getting messed up after copying and pasting to power point. I tried >everyting, turned ...

Excel interfering with dates
How can I stop Excel 2007 interfering with dates? I have a variety of dates to enter. Some are before 1900, some after. Some are partial (with no year given); some are just a year. All are entered in the form 1 Sep 1854 (with some parts missing). I have defined the format of the cells to be Text/String but Excel ignores that and corrupts the dates by assuming, if no year is present, that they are 2011 and if they are after 1900 it converts them to 01/01/2011 format. How can I force Excel to do what it is told and treat them all as Text? -- Chris Watts chris@watts-bros.co.uk (synonymous...

IIF function 02-20-08
Please help me set up the following calculated field. Need a calculated field that equals Active if the MembershipStatus field is equal to Active and equals Not Active otherwise. -- jj On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:35:04 -0800, JJ wrote: > Please help me set up the following calculated field. Need a calculated > field that equals Active if the MembershipStatus field is equal to Active and > equals Not Active otherwise. NewColumn:IIf([MembershipStatus] = "Active","Active","Not Active") -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to p...

Getting to the last data row in a spreagsheet
Is there any way to find the last row with data in a spreadsheet from with VB? -- Jonathan Blitz AnyKey Limited Israel "When things seem bad Don't worry and shout Just count up the times Things have worked themselves out." Hi one way: dim rng as range set rng = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp) msgbox rng.value -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jonathan Blitz wrote: > Is there any way to find the last row with data in a spreadsheet from > with VB? Jonathan, Try something like the following. Change RowNum to the desired row number...

How can I get the zero values at the end of a chart not to show?
I have a chart getting data from a spreadsheet, where data is added one day at a time, for an entire month. After adding the data for the first day, the data point shows, but the line connecting the data point in the chart immediately drops to zero, since data for the remaining days is not available. Is there a way to just have the line connecting the data points show only where there is data, and not show anything for the upcoming days where data is not available? Thanks. 1) use a dynamic chart - see http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Dynamic.htm or 2) rather than blanks f...

Excel 97 #3
I have a list of timecodes, examples, ESD1.2 ESD12.3.2 ESD12.4.12 ESD4.4.2 ESD13.1.1 ESD2.2.6 ESD13.1.2 ESD4.3.3 ESD13.2 ESD14.2.1 ESD2.1.3 ESD4.3.2 ESD2.2 ESD4.4.4 they are formatted as General Any ideas how to list them in order of number -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can convert the text to time with the following formula :- =TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3),".",":")) Format as HH:MM:S -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

DLookUp Function
I have a table that looks like this right now Column A 1) 9/21/06 2) 9/22/06 3) 9/23/06 4) 9/27/06 5) 9/28/06 6) 10/2/06 7) 10/3/06 I want the previous date in Column B. So this is what I want it to look like in B Column B 1) <nothing> 2) 9/21/06 3) 9/22/06 4) 9/23/06 5) 9/27/06 6) 9/28/06 7) 10/2/06 I'm trying to use the DLookUp Function to do this in a query. This is only a tidbit of what I have, there are hundreds of other dates. Can someone help me? SELECT ColumnA, DMax("ColumnA", "MyTable", "ColumnA < " & Format([ColumnA], "\...

TAB Key
On a shared computer, sometimes when you go into excel or word the tab key will not function. Is there a setting someone is using to disable this key? How do we change it so the tab key will work properly? Thank you TAB key won't work at all? No movement whatsoever? Is the sheet protected? If moving but one screen at a time, go to Tools>Options>Transition and uncheck "Transition Navigation Keys". Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:49:02 -0800, GBN <GBN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >On a shared computer, sometimes when you go into excel o...

Preflighting Excel files
Is there a way to preflight (check for problems before printing) Excel files (I already know that Flightcheck doesn't work). Any suggestions? Martin Martin There is a Before_Print event macro that you can use for such checking. Of course, that macro is blank. You would have to write in the necessary code to do the checks you want. Can you list the checks and the criteria for each? Writing the code is straight forward once you have listed the checks and criteria. HTH Otto "martindaylor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21d201c49...

How do I change the thickness of a bottom boarder in Excel 2002?
In Word you can change the thickness of the line used in boarders - but I can not change the thickness in Excel. Is there any way to do this? Thanks. try Sub bottomborder() ActiveCell.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).Weight = xlThick 'xlmedium or xlthin End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Dawn" <Dawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B24E39F0-58BF-47AD-AE42-716CBA2C9C54@microsoft.com... > In Word you can change the thickness of the line used in boarders - but I can > not change the thickness in Excel. Is there any way to do this? ...

How to Copy Charts and Tables from Excel to Publisher
Hi, Everyone: I'm a new user of Publisher 2003, and I'm working on a 100-page or so document with text, photos, charts, and tables. I would appreciate advice about copying charts and tables from an Excel workbook and reducing file size. Please also recommend which is the correct file format to use when saving charts, tables, and photos as "pictures". My Excel workbook has numerous worksheets. (1) When I try to "copy and paste" a single Excel chart from one worksheet into Publisher, I get an "object" which shows ALL the worksheets if I double...

break links crashes Excel 2002 #2
It appears that it may just be one workbook file. I tried it wit another file and it did not crash. We primarily use one Excel workboo as a template. Copies of this file are probably 95% of all the Exce files we use so it is a big problem for us. Assuming that it is just this one important file, any ideas how to fi this workbook so that we can break the links with the toolbar command -- ED ----------------------------------------------------------------------- EDS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=879 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Copy an IF function when Inserting new row
I have a column with a list of IF functions in each one. I need to insert a row, but when I do the IF function is not copied. Can I insert the row and have the IF function automatically entered in the new row created? Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Philobr" <Philobr@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D0757A3C-4A9F-4246-85BB-3CF67B0216B5@microsoft.com... > I have a column with a list of IF functions in each one. > I need to insert a row, but when I do the IF function is not copied. > Can I insert the row and hav...

Search Function
Does anyone know why the search function on this discussion group is not working? I do not know who to report it to. Thks It comes and goes. This "discussion group" is really a newsgroup with a "web interface" pasted on the front end. You can bypass it and use a news reader directly using the link below. news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.sharepoint.general Kim wrote: > Does anyone know why the search function on this discussion group is not > working? I do not know who to report it to. Thks I use Mozilla's Thunderbird as a new...