Excel formulae start doing strange things

Has anyone had the problem where the result of a formula is incorrect.
I've had on occasion entered a simple formula, such as adding a group
of numbers within an "IF" statement and the result is wrong. If I start
a new workbook, and enter the exact same thing, it works out correctly.
Yesterday one of my co-workers had a problem with a spreadsheed she's
been using for years. All of a sudden, she started getting "VALUE"
errors in the lower half of the spreadsheet. All formulae were the same
in each row. I ended up fixing the problem by deleting 5 rows, then
entering data in one column for about 10 cells. All the "VALUE" fields
disappeared and I then deleting the values in those same 10 cells. All
seemed to work okay after that.

Strange ???

--
WarrenC
WarrenC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35524

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Warren

The #VALUE! could come from Excel and the formula not recogninzing the data as
valid for that formula.

i.e.  numbers that have been formatted as text will not add up.  Perhaps those
lower down cells had been pre-formatted as text.

By deleting and re-entering you have changed the format and now they are
correct.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:09:19 -0500, WarrenC
<WarrenC.29k0mn_1150560601.7588@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>Has anyone had the problem where the result of a formula is incorrect.
>I've had on occasion entered a simple formula, such as adding a group
>of numbers within an "IF" statement and the result is wrong. If I start
>a new workbook, and enter the exact same thing, it works out correctly.
>Yesterday one of my co-workers had a problem with a spreadsheed she's
>been using for years. All of a sudden, she started getting "VALUE"
>errors in the lower half of the spreadsheet. All formulae were the same
>in each row. I ended up fixing the problem by deleting 5 rows, then
>entering data in one column for about 10 cells. All the "VALUE" fields
>disappeared and I then deleting the values in those same 10 cells. All
>seemed to work okay after that.
>
>Strange ???

0
Gord
6/17/2006 4:34:53 PM
hi!

be specific abt ur formuale & other things!

-via135

--
via135
via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26725

The co-workers spreadsheet were simple addition/subtraction formula. The
ones I've had problems were in this format:

=IF(a1-b1-c1-d1<>0,"oops",0). Even though the correct answer is zero, I
would get "oops" as the result. If I opened a new spreadsheet and and
entered the same thing, it would work. Also have had the problem were
the formula would work, but as soon as I copy it, it wouldn't. However,
if I deleted this copied version and then typed it in, it would work. I
only come across this type of issue occasionally, but it gets to be a
bother.

--
WarrenC
WarrenC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35524
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552933

Warren

I would say that some of the numerics are seen as text.

That's why re-entering makes it work.

Make sure you are copying to cells formatted as General.

Gord

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 12:29:47 -0500, WarrenC
<WarrenC.29k4bz_1150565402.1184@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>The co-workers spreadsheet were simple addition/subtraction formula. The
>ones I've had problems were in this format:
>
>=IF(a1-b1-c1-d1<>0,"oops",0). Even though the correct answer is zero, I
>would get "oops" as the result. If I opened a new spreadsheet and and
>entered the same thing, it would work. Also have had the problem were
>the formula would work, but as soon as I copy it, it wouldn't. However,
>if I deleted this copied version and then typed it in, it would work. I
>only come across this type of issue occasionally, but it gets to be a
>bother.

0
Gord
6/17/2006 8:58:23 PM
have you try to use the formula evaluation tools to trace the problem. It is
a very useful tools.

Bobocat

"WarrenC" <WarrenC.29k4bz_1150565402.1184@excelforum-nospam.com> ���g��l��s�D:WarrenC.29k4bz_1150565402.1184@excelforum-nospam.com...

> The co-workers spreadsheet were simple addition/subtraction formula. The
> ones I've had problems were in this format:
>
> =IF(a1-b1-c1-d1<>0,"oops",0). Even though the correct answer is zero, I
> would get "oops" as the result. If I opened a new spreadsheet and and
> entered the same thing, it would work. Also have had the problem were
> the formula would work, but as soon as I copy it, it wouldn't. However,
> if I deleted this copied version and then typed it in, it would work. I
> only come across this type of issue occasionally, but it gets to be a
> bother.
>

> --
> WarrenC
> WarrenC's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35524
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=552933

thanks

Warre

--
Warren
WarrenC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3552
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55293

number rounding in MS Excel

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

Filters in Excel 2003

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

Need to add to current formula

Macro

Excel fun patch

Excel 2003

Need macro help to close excel

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

copy chart from Excel to Powerpoint

Formula Problem?
I am using Excel 2000 with Windows XP. I am having a problem. I am on Sheet 2 of my workbook. I have SSN on a sheet named Employees in the same workbook. I need to take the numbers on the Employees Sheet and transfer it to the sheet 2. I know how to do this. It just won't work. This is a copy of my formula. =SUM(Employees!C3) This should take the SSN that is in the C3 cell on the employees sheet and place it at the cell where the formula is typed. When I put this formula in the cell I am getting just a "0". Please help. =Employees!C3 -- Kind regards, Niek Otten...

formula auditing/macro
Can anyone give me the sytax to goto - special - precedents so I can create a macro so I can assign to a hotkey and dont have to go through 4 steps ? Thanks, Yosef With A1=1 and D2=2*A1, and D1 as active cell: I recorded a macro for these steps: Edit|GoTo->Special->Precedence And the macro contained just one line: Selection.DirectPrecedents.Select best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ynissel" <ynissel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA544BDE-3717-4953-A5E3-06191BC28373@microsoft.com... > Can anyone...

Updating External Links Excel 2000 vs 2002/2003