Excel format in selected cells have changed to DATE format!!!!

OMG!  This is destroyed my spreadsheet, it has happened before...
randomly certain cells are changed to DATE format, the NORMAL style
changes to DATE format.  Changing the normal style back to 'General'
number format worked last time, this time, it has ravaged my
spreadsheet.

What is causing this?  I saw this bug mentioned by other people in
other posts.  What is causing this bug, and how can i avoid it from
happening again?
0
mybigspamemailaccoun
1/20/2010 8:11:05 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You are placing text in the cells that look exactly like dates. Format
the cell as text or place a ' in the cell before the text when you place
that info in the cell
  .ie '2-20

mybigspamemailaccount@gmail.com wrote:

> OMG!  This is destroyed my spreadsheet, it has happened before...
> randomly certain cells are changed to DATE format, the NORMAL style
> changes to DATE format.  Changing the normal style back to 'General'
> number format worked last time, this time, it has ravaged my
> spreadsheet.
>
> What is causing this?  I saw this bug mentioned by other people in
> other posts.  What is causing this bug, and how can i avoid it from
> happening again?

0
Bob
1/20/2010 4:20:57 PM
This is a real bug and has happened to me and others many times.  Something
triggers Excel to switch all cell formats in a Worksheet to dates.

"mybigspamemailaccount@gmail.com" wrote:

> OMG!  This is destroyed my spreadsheet, it has happened before...
> randomly certain cells are changed to DATE format, the NORMAL style
> changes to DATE format.  Changing the normal style back to 'General'
> number format worked last time, this time, it has ravaged my
> spreadsheet.
>
> What is causing this?  I saw this bug mentioned by other people in
> other posts.  What is causing this bug, and how can i avoid it from
> happening again?
> .

visible cell only

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Custom Formatting for Dates
Is there a manner of formatting to see date as Text?, if entered in same cell. Think that is what I need. Using custom formatting: yymmdd and making column narrow, so just see dd (with right justify). Problem is that going from text to date format, just see ## is there way to make yymmdd in custom to conform to text??? Thanks a1 11/2/05 b1 =TEXT(A1,"yymmdd") you will get b1 051102 ==================== "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89817178-868E-4E3C-9946-6A1E93B0080F@microsoft.com... > Is there a man...

Excel to PDF
When converting Excel workbook to Acrobat some sheets are dropped without giving any error messages. How can I fix this ? I am using windows 95, Office 97 and Adobe Acrobat 4. ...

Excel 2007

Conditional formatting macro
Help. I would like to know if it is possible to have a macro that changes the colour of a cell dependant on the number or text within. eg If the following cells were populated as follows a1=1 Make the cell Green =2 Make the cell Red =3 Make the cell Blue =4 Make the cell Orange and so on till 7 Is this at all possible ? I know that i can colour cells 3 times with simple conditional formatting, but would like to run upto seven different colours. any help would be appreciated. Steve '----------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksh...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

SIP/RTC Audio Codec selection
Hi, When a SIP invite is made with the available codecs, what determines which codec is used? I've followed msdn doc http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee501014.aspx to set the prefered codec but this does not work. I also did not see any API calls that will either set the codec to be used or force a specific codec for use in any session. Is their a way to do this? I'm using WinCE 6 R2. ...

move cell contents

Excel not Access

New Disk storage

help with simple maths in excel

Before Update on record select

Select Method of Range class failing???
Hello, I keep getting the following error in my macro: Run-time error '1004': Select method of Range class failed When simply trying to select cell A1 in a worksheet of mine. I can' figure out for the life of me why this would be failing. Here's m script (literally): Range("A1").Select I am simply trying to position the cursor on a worksheet in preparatio for a possible operation. I have never had this fail on me before an I can't figure it out now. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks in advance, -Pet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelF...

Opening Excel Workbooks

How do I use traffic lights in excel