Excel Form and message box

Hi there,

I'm running Excel 2000.  I am just learning so please excuse my questions if
they sound simple.

To put this as simply as possible I have a spreadsheet of children's names.
I've created a form that is activated by a control button.  What I want to
do is choose a child's name from the combo box and eventually delete that
child from the spreadsheet.  I have an "are you sure" type msgbox but cannot
get the yes/no side of it functioning correctly.  I've worked on this for
hours and have just given up.

This is my code so far:

Private Sub cboRemChild_Click()
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim ChosenName As String
    Dim NameFound As Boolean
    Dim Ans As Integer

    ChosenName = cboChildName.Text
    Sheets("Child Records").Select

    NameFound = False
    For Each myCell In Range("Name_of_Child")
        If myCell.Value = ChosenName Then
            myCell.Select
            NameFound = True
            Unload Me
            Exit For
        End If
    Next myCell

    If NameFound = False Then
        MsgBox "Name not entered or not Found!"
        cboChildName.SetFocus
    End If

    MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo

    If Ans = vbYes Then
     Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
     Range("A6").Select
    Else
        frmRemChild.Show
    End If
End Sub
-------------------
If either yes or no are chosen it performs the Else command.  What have I
done wrong?  It would also be great to have the Exclamation Mark icon appear
in this msgbox.  Oh yes, if you've got this far thank you very much for
taking the time to read my ramblings :-)

Thanks for any assistance in advance and I'm really sorry if my code looks
extremely amateur but that's me :-)

Regards
Pam

0
pam5633 (10)
7/22/2006 2:08:04 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Pam Field Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm running Excel 2000.  I am just learning so please excuse m
> questions if
> they sound simple.
>
> To put this as simply as possible I have a spreadsheet of children'
> names.
> I've created a form that is activated by a control button.  What I wan
> do is choose a child's name from the combo box and eventually delet
> that
> child from the spreadsheet.  I have an "are you sure" type msgbox bu
> cannot
> get the yes/no side of it functioning correctly.  I've worked on thi
> for
> hours and have just given up.
>
> This is my code so far:
> If NameFound = False Then
> MsgBox "Name not entered or not Found!"
> cboChildName.SetFocus
> End If
>
> MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo
>
> If Ans = vbYes Then
> Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
> Range("A6").Select
> Else
> frmRemChild.Show
> End If
> End Sub
> -------------------
> If either yes or no are chosen it performs the Else command.  What hav
> done wrong?  It would also be great to have the Exclamation Mark ico
> appear
> in this msgbox.  Oh yes, if you've got this far thank you very muc
> for
> taking the time to read my ramblings :-)
>
> Thanks for any assistance in advance and I'm really sorry if my cod
> looks
> extremely amateur but that's me :-)
>
> Regards
> Pam

Hi Pam,

Try changing the following line:
MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo

to this:
ans = MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo

I think that should fix your problems.  (You just need to assign th
return value to your variable in order to be able to use it)

Scot

--
Maistry
Maistrye's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3607

Thanks Scott,

Unfortunately that give me a 'syntax error' but your response has reminded
me that I don't have an actual ans= statement and I know I must have but
what and where?  I'm getting way to old to learn this stuff!

Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Pam

> Hi Pam,
>
> Try changing the following line:
> MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo
>
> to this:
> ans = MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo
>
> I think that should fix your problems.  (You just need to assign the
> return value to your variable in order to be able to use it)
>
> Scott
>

> --
> Maistrye
> Maistrye's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36078
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563931

0
pam5633 (10)
7/22/2006 4:26:31 AM
Ok I've changed the variable to YesNo (found it on some website) and that
works now I just have some tidying up to do.  Hope nobody minds if I come
back with more questions on this one :-)

YesNo = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to remove this child?",

vbYesNo + vbExclamation, "Caution")

    Select Case YesNo
    Case vbYes
         Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
         Range("A6").Select
    Case vbNo
        frmRemChild.Show
    End Select

0
pam5633 (10)
7/22/2006 5:02:17 AM
Hello,

Try this code

ans = MsgBox ("Are you sure you want to remove this child?",
vbYesNo+vbExclamation)

"Pam Field" <pam@pamfield.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Scott,
>
> Unfortunately that give me a 'syntax error' but your response has reminded
> me that I don't have an actual ans= statement and I know I must have but
> what and where?  I'm getting way to old to learn this stuff!
>
> Any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> cheers
> Pam
>

>> Hi Pam,
>>
>> Try changing the following line:
>> MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo
>>
>> to this:
>> ans = MsgBox "Are you sure you want to remove this child?", vbYesNo
>>
>> I think that should fix your problems.  (You just need to assign the
>> return value to your variable in order to be able to use it)
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> --
>> Maistrye
>> Maistrye's Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36078
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563931

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

learning Excel #3

message delivery problems

Excel VBA

form fields not saving to table

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

errror message
error message: the selected assistant character is not available. microsoft outlook cannot install the neccessary files due to windows installer error 1605. this action is only valid for products that are currently installed. anyone please advise? ...

How do I lock individuals cells within an Excel spreadsheet so th.
i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. Hi first select the cells for which you want to allow entries and goto 'Format - Cells - Protection' and uncheck 'Locked'. Now protect the sheet 'Tools - Protection' "ucastores" wrote: > i am trying to lock cells that have formulas in them, but other cells in the > spreadsheet need to be unlocked so the end users can enter information. ...