Excel File Only Opens in Windows Safe Mode

I sure hope someone here can help me as I have been chasing this proble
for the past week with no luck.

I have an Excel XP file, about 2MB in size, that locks up Exce
whenever it is loaded. The symptoms of the problem are:
- I can get the file to open when the computer is booted into Window
2000 Safe Mode.
- Trying to close Excel when it has locked up only gets a Program No
Responding message the first time then a Program Being Debugged messag
all subsequent times.
- The computer must be rebooted to clear Excel when Excel locks up.
Simply logging out and logging back in only returns me to a locked u
Excel window.
- This problem only happens on my computer with this one file; I can g
to another computer and open the file with no problems and I can ope
all other Excel files on my computer fine.
- Other people in the office can open the problem file on thei
computers fine.

I have tried the following in an effort to resolve this problem:
- Checked the configuration of Excel.  Since I can open it on anothe
computer but not mine, I checked the configuration of Excel on bot
machines.  They have the same configuration.
- Installed latest patches.  Via Microsoft's Office Update, downloade
and installed latest updates; no change.
- Installed the latest patches for Windows via Windows Update.  N
change.
- Tried starting Excel in Safe Mode via /safe and /s.   Same problem
Excel locks up when the file is opened.
- Re-registered Excel with Windows via the /regserver option.  N
change.
- Tried starting Excel then opening the file (versus jus
double-clicking on the file).  Excel starts fine but locks up when th
file is opened.
- Tried starting Excel without add-ins and toolbars.  No change.
- Ran Excel's detect and repair.  No change.
- Searched all over Google for anyone with a similar problem.  No luc
there either.

Any help at all on this one is greatly appreciate

--
reverendlinu
reverendlinux's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1593

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The only thing I can think of that you didn't try is cleaning up the windows
temp folder.  I'm not sure what happens if you have multiple OS's installed, but
maybe that windows\temp folder is in a different location under different OS's.

If that doesn't help, Chip Pearson has some notes to help diagnose startup
problems at:

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com