Excel fails to open specific workbook

Whenever one of the end users tries to open an excel file on the serve
it comes up with the following error:

"EXCEL.exe generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You wil
need to restart the program.
An error log is being created."

Running excel in safe mode, "excel.exe /safe", lets me view the fil
just fine, and if I log that user off and log on under my username o
her PC it lets me view the file with no problems. Is there something
can change to the user profile to fix this problem? Recreating the fil
has not been a sucessful venture.

On a side note, where the hell does excel create the log file?
searched for modified/new log files and could not find anything relate
to excel

--
TJPC Danie
TJPC Daniel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3534

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Use windows search to look for drwtsn32.log or drwatson.log or even *.log

But once you find it, I bet it won't help.

=======
Just a guess, but maybe it's not your workbook causing the trouble.

While logged on as that user try this:

Close excel
Use windows search and look for *.xlb (location and name will vary with the
versions of windows and excel you used).

Rename that *.xlb file to *.xlbOLD

restart excel and test it out a bit.

This does mean that you'll have to recreate any customized changes to your
toolbars, though.

If it doesn't help, delete any newly created *.xlb files and rename the *.xlbOLD
back to *.xlb.

==========

If that doesn't help, try cleaning up the windows temp file.

Close excel (and any other applications)
windows start button|Run
%temp%

Clean up as much stuff as you can.

Excel can get confused when there's lots of junk in the windows temp folder.

You may want to try the temp file stuff first.  It's less intrusive.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I attempted the following suggestions with no luck.  The only thin
that works still is opening in safe mode.  As an update, I trie
opening it once again under my username and this time it did NOT let m
successfully open it.  I opened the drwatson log file and it is a bunc
of gibberish

--
TJPC Danie
TJPC Daniel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3534
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55114

Can the user open any file correctly--or is it just this one?

It seems to me that if you logon and it opens ok, then it shouldn't be the file.

If the user has trouble with all files, then maybe it's time to reinstall excel
(if those other two tries didn't help).

I don't have a good guess (well, after you tried the other two!).

TJPC Daniel wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I attempted the following suggestions with no luck.  The only thing
> that works still is opening in safe mode.  As an update, I tried
> opening it once again under my username and this time it did NOT let me
> successfully open it.  I opened the drwatson log file and it is a bunch
> of gibberish.
>
> --
> TJPC Daniel
> TJPC Daniel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35344
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=551140

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
6/12/2006 10:14:36 PM
It is this one specific excel file causing problems.  I've already trie
creating a new file and pasting the contents from the other in it an
had no luck.

--
TJPC Danie
TJPC Daniel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3534
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55114

Lots of people have praised OpenOffice.org for saving their data and code.
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-104 meg download or a CD

There are commercial recovery services.  I've never used it, but you might want
to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

And sometimes newer versions of excel can open files that older versions can't.
(And sometimes just different versions may work, too!)

TJPC Daniel wrote:

> It is this one specific excel file causing problems.  I've already tried
> creating a new file and pasting the contents from the other in it and
> had no luck.
>
> Dave Peterson Wrote:
> > Can the user open any file correctly--or is it just this one?
> >
> > It seems to me that if you logon and it opens ok, then it shouldn't be
> > the file.
> >
> > If the user has trouble with all files, then maybe it's time to
> > reinstall excel
> > (if those other two tries didn't help).
> >
> > I don't have a good guess (well, after you tried the other two!).
> >
> > TJPC Daniel wrote:
> > >
> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > I attempted the following suggestions with no luck.  The only thing
> > > that works still is opening in safe mode.  As an update, I tried
> > > opening it once again under my username and this time it did NOT let
> > me
> > > successfully open it.  I opened the drwatson log file and it is a
> > bunch
> > > of gibberish.
> > >
> > > --
> > > TJPC Daniel

> > > TJPC Daniel's Profile:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35344
> > > View this thread:
> > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=551140
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
> TJPC Daniel
> TJPC Daniel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35344
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=551140

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)

number rounding in MS Excel

open two different Access reports

SpreadSheetML (XML for Excel)

Public Folder link to Excel File

Filters in Excel 2003

Excel Opens Without Displaying Workbook

opening .pst archives

printing imported gif files in Excel

ExCel programming

opening a .docx with word 2004

Effectively stoping open relay.
I have a client who started using exchange 2003 few days back. This client is having more than 12 subnets starting from 172.27.50.0, 172.16.0.0 to 172.27.0.0 and 10.172.172.0 & 10.172.173.0 subnets in different location in town which are conneted by DSL. This users are connecting to the Exchange server 172.16.5.25. Most of these users are POP3 users. I have 2 SMTP Virtual Server running. Default SMTP Virtual server 172.16.5.25 and the second for Externel. In the Mail connector I have added only the external as the local bridgehead server. In the relay properties of the internal I...

Macro

Excel fun patch