Excel extract date into cell

I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program.  Column
C always has the date in this form:
3/24/12

I would like a new column to show the following (without the quotes):
"Report for Saturday, March 24, 2012"

I tried this (but I am getting an error message):
="Report for " & date(c2)

Please advise.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:48:47 AM UTC-5, Tony O wrote:
> I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program.  Column
> C always has the date in this form:
> 3/24/12
>
> I would like a new column to show the following (without the quotes):
> "Report for Saturday, March 24, 2012"
>
> I tried this (but I am getting an error message):
> ="Report for " & date(c2)
>
> Please advise.

try
="report for" & text(c2,"mmm dd, yyyy")
0
dguillett11 (103)
3/24/2012 4:19:11 PM
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:48:47 -0700 (PDT), Tony O <tonyrulesyall@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program.  Column
>C always has the date in this form:
>3/24/12
>
>I would like a new column to show the following (without the quotes):
>"Report for Saturday, March 24, 2012"
>
>I tried this (but I am getting an error message):
>="Report for " & date(c2)
>
>Please advise.

If you custom format the cell in the new column:

NewColumn:  =C2
Format/Cells/Number Custom Type:  "Report For " dddd, mmmm d, yyyy

This has the advantage of still being able to use the date in numeric formulas.
0
ron6368 (329)

Display cells with data validation
Using 2003 - Is there a way of displaying cells that contains data validation restrictions? I've received a spreadsheet from someone with lots of restrictions on it and want to see which cells are affected. Thnks Anita "Anita" <Anita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19A5FB74-EF19-40C3-9632-EA0FB7F9D8B0@microsoft.com... > Using 2003 - Is there a way of displaying cells that contains data > validation > restrictions? I've received a spreadsheet from someone with lots of > restrictions on it and want to see which cells are affected. >...

Dates getting corrupted in Microsoft Money 2005
Does anyone else have this issue? Money is corrupting the transaction dates in my data. Account balances reconcile and all the transactions are there, but the dates of the transactions are getting progressively corrupted for some reason. Especially problematic as I'm trying to do my tak returns at the moment and nothing reconciles to the expected totals. I am on MM 2005. My data goes back to 1995 and my Money file is around 22MB in size. * Is there a later version I should try? * Should I re-install? * Can I recover or correct this data without going back to old archives (fortun...

Forms in Excel
I use Excel very little. I have seen forms used for data input but I have failed to find any refernce to them in HELP or in the tutorials that I have found. Where can I learn more? Thanks, Robin Chapple Have a look at http://spreadsheets.about.com/library/weekly/blexuserform2. htm Bob Umlas Excel MVP >-----Original Message----- >I use Excel very little. > >I have seen forms used for data input but I have failed to find any >refernce to them in HELP or in the tutorials that I have found. > >Where can I learn more? > >Thanks, > >Robin Chapple >. >...

Macro to export Smartlist to Excel
Hi I would like to create a macro to open smartlist, select a query and export it to Excel. I have saved the query as a favourite and set up the Export Solutions to save the query to an excel file. However macro stops during the export to excel stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. You should have recorded the macro up to the point of smartlist exporting the data to excel and shifting back the focus on your smartlist and stop the macro recording. When you played back the macro you will discover that a dialog box informing you how long the macro ran and when you ...

Missing Leading zero when importing in excel
I have exported item list as a csv (as well as tab delimited) but when I import it to excel I loose leading zeros in my item lookup codes. Is there a way to avoid this, thx. Change the properties of that field to "Text" in Excel. Kinnard L. Kohler Business Machines Systems 6101 South Shackleford Road Little Rock, AR 72204-8606 (T) 501-375-8380 (F) 501-375-0043 (Cell) 501-412-5686 Email: kinnard@bmsar.com "MOI" wrote: > I have exported item list as a csv (as well as tab delimited) but when I > import it to excel I loose leading zeros in my item lookup codes. Is...

need a date look here

Problem of Truncation on Excel 2003
When I open a spreadsheet (saved on an earlier version of Excel) in Excel 2003, the "cell wrapped" cells lose most of the ending information, as if there were some sort of limit on the amount of data to be stored. The spreadsheet in question has links, which I do NOT want updated. I have been working with Excel for as many years as it has existed, therefore you may consider I am not making a mistake. We need this problem fixed ASAP. Additional information: Just discovered that the problem is in the handling of MERGED cells. Only the first cell of the merged group is kept ...

Run a macro when cell value changes
I have a macro that I would like to run, onlly when a particular cel value reaches a pre-defined value. I really do not know how to do this - I have looked on help features but to no avail. any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com right click sheet tab>view code>copy/paste this>modify to suit>save Now when cell c1 calculates to >32 your macro will fire Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() If Range("c1") > 32 Then call yourmacro ' MsgBox "Hi" End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Emea training >&quo...

can't sum up items i cut&paste from access to excel..
i can't sum up no.'s i cut&paste from access to excel. excel recognizes the correctly cut&paste values as "zero" and so when i add up the columns, i get a zero for the total. They have probably come across as text rather than numbers. In a spare column you can enter the formula: =VALUE(A1) assuming your data starts in cell A1, then copy this down for the extent of your data. Highlight all the cells with this formula in, then click copy | Edit | Paste Special | Values | OK and press <enter>, then copy all these cells to overwrite the data in column A. You ...

Re page numbers in excel
Is it possible to move where headers and footers are shown, like you can do in word. My example a report with landscape and portrait and i would be the page number to be at the side of the landscape document Thanks ...

Sort Dates by Month and Day, Not Year
Is there a trick to sort a date column by Month and Day, and not have it sort the list by year as first sort. Without breaking up the data into multiple columns. Hi, You could add a column with the formula =YEARFRAC(DATE(YEAR(A1),1,1),A1) and sort on that column. It does sound like you want to avoid this. If your dates are the row field of a pivot table and your group by month and day Excel will ignore the year. If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in message news:OsrEqlJaJHA.5340@TK...

Excel and PDA's
I want to use a excel form that I created using Macros, but my PDA using Windows doesn't not recongnize them. Is there a way for the PDA to use the macros? Thank you, Dan Hi Dan As far as I know, no. Pocket Excel is emphasis Pocket. However, if you have a spare amount of time and money, you can create just anything for Windows Pda's with Visual Studio.NET. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please. "Dan Young" <d1rmrc@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:3CBDF40E-530A-4DFC-8174-9207167AE90B@microsoft.com... > I want to use a excel form that ...

Is it possible to set an alarm in EXCEL?
Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to set an alarm in Excel. I' working with a lot of dates in Excel and I've got one column which i called "DATE OF NEXT ACTION" and at that date I'll need to call specific client. I know that I can filter the data on that column. But is there a way t set Excel so that something pops up on the screen? Or any other possibility that Excel checks the dates in that column an makes me aware if today's date is the same as the one in the column? If not, is there another software that can do that? Thanks so much for any help yo...

How can I graph the #of times a certain word is found in Excel?
For example I have a list of reasons of what brand of butter a group of customers choose to buy.... How can I take the number of times "I can't believe it's not butter" is listed as compared to "Brommel and Brown", etc. and graph them accordingly onto one graph so if I have 512 occurances where customers chose "I can't believe it's not butter" and 256 occurances where customers chose "Brommel and Brown" - then I would like the graph is twice as large for the "I can't believe it's not butter". Hi, Just put in an ...

Go to a cell automatically
How can I make the active cell the cell after the statement: "End("B1").xlDown.offset(1,0)" to start a paste operation. Thanks in advance. try range("b1").end(xldown).offset(1).paste "Mercury" <pulgaron@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:QWlfb.8794$9a7.7822@bignews6.bellsouth.net... > How can I make the active cell the cell after the statement: > "End("B1").xlDown.offset(1,0)" to start a paste operation. > > > Thanks in advance. > > > Try this Range("d1").Copy Range("b1")....

Placing a Date Range on a Report
I have several reports that have been created in Microsoft Access that require a date range in order to pull the requested data. The date range was set up in the query that was built to run the report. Is there a way to get that date range displayed on the report? ...

Excel help #5
Hi, Can anyone please help me. I was trying to enter the below no in excel. 0000081563 But when i enter it in the excel cel. it becomes 81563. how can i enter zero's infront of the number. Any help will be great. THanks -- kaushi Try formatting entry cell as "Text" before you enter the 0000... value. HTH Regards, Howard "Kaushi" <Kaushi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45786724-0795-4E0D-AA9C-7C9EFF8AD564@microsoft.com... > > Hi, > > Can anyone please help me. > I was trying to enter the below no in excel. > > 000008...

excel 2000 Program error
When try to work on excel sheet I get this error "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will need to restrat the program. An error log is being created" Thx Seenu ...

Adding Excel Spreadsheets to a website #2
Anybody? Bueller -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27745 ...

Calling a Public Sub inside Excel from Access
I have an Excel spreadsheet that I am opening from within Access: Dim xl As Excel.Application Dim wrk As Excel.Workbook Set xl = New Excel.Application Set wrk = xl.Workbooks.Open(Filename:="file.xls") I would like to call a routine within the Excel file after opening it (I want to set up a commandbar depending on how and where Excel is opening from my database application). However, I can't figure out where to put such a routine so that it is accessible. I tried putting a Public Sub into a module file, then calling it like: wrk.MySub "param" Howe...

Replace every non empty cell
Hi, I want to replace every cell with is not empty in a column with th word "DEMO". Can someone help me? Thanks, Serg -- serg ----------------------------------------------------------------------- serge's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=416 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27555 To fill the blank cells in the used range of a column: Select the column Choose Edit>Go to Click the Special button Select Blanks, click OK Type DEMO Press Ctrl+Enter serge wrote: > I want to replace every cell wit...

Formula for Dates and CF Colour then convert to Text
Hi, Part 1 - Although I can do the CF on the cell, I am looking for a formula based on the following: 1. Date entered is from Today up 7 Days - My CF will format cell to Green 2. Date entered is between 8 days and 14 days - CF will format Amber 3. Date entered is greater than 14 days (15?) - CF will format Red My current formula's in CF based on: Condition 1 - Formula is: =IF(D4<>"",D4>TODAY()-7) Condition 2 - Formula is: =AND(D4<>"",D4>TODAY()-14) Condition 3 - Formula is: =AND(D4<>"",D4>TODAY()-600) -60...

where can i get a excel league table template?
for a league of 12 teams each team playing 11 home and 11 away games http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E70B7EB1-F42D-4B54-9E9C-76F4394B34FC@microsoft.com... > for a league of 12 teams each team playing 11 home and 11 away games ...

Excel Column References
My spread sheets have spontaneously switched from giving column refs as letters to numbers. Instead of A, B, C etc they now show 1,2,3.......... Why has this happened and, more to the point, how can I correct it? Thanks in advance for advice Nic <Tools> <Options> <General> tab, *Uncheck* R1C1 reference style. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Nic Siddle" <NicSiddle@nsiddle.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news...

(excel) �nderung einer aktiven Zelle w�hrend der Eingabe wahrnehmen
Hi Hat jemand eine Idee wie ich �nderungen in einer aktiven Zelle w�rend der Eingabe wahrnehmen kann, mittels VB. zB.: einzelne Zeichen z�hlen ...... und wenn z.B. 6 �berschritten werden signal ausgeben. habe mal folgendes probiert: Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) leider funktioniert das nur beim Verlassen der Zelle bin f�r jeden Gedanken dankbar Mfg Enrico I'm not going to try to guess how to phrase this in German. Worksheet_Change or Data > Validation, select a formula condition, and enter the formula =LEN(X99)<=6 where X99 would be the active...