Excel Drop Down Box

I'm trying to edit an excel worksheet that has drop down boxes.
However, the drop down boxes are not typical forms.  These drop dow
boxes appear to be normal cells (They contain text).  When I click o
the box, a little gray box shows up w/ a down arrow to the right of th
cell.  However, if you right click on the cell, there aren't an
property options that are displayed.  

I was wondering if anybody had any idea what kind of drop down box thi
is.  How can I edit or create one

--
Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com

0
12/19/2003 5:20:29 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

2 Replies
703 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 29

It sounds like it's under Data|Validation.

chris313 wrote:
> 
> I'm trying to edit an excel worksheet that has drop down boxes.
> However, the drop down boxes are not typical forms.  These drop down
> boxes appear to be normal cells (They contain text).  When I click on
> the box, a little gray box shows up w/ a down arrow to the right of the
> cell.  However, if you right click on the cell, there aren't any
> property options that are displayed.
> 
> I was wondering if anybody had any idea what kind of drop down box this
> is.  How can I edit or create one?
> 
> ---
> Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

-- 

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
12/19/2003 5:45:58 PM
Just to add a little more to MVP Dave P's reply (<g>)
and to address your Q ..

> > is.  How can I edit or create one?

If it's data validation (and it probably is),

visit MVP Debra Dalgleish's nice coverage of Data Validation
(with screen details / pictures) at her:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

--
hth
Max
-----------------------------------------
Please reply in thread
Use xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com for email
--------------------------------------------------------
"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
news:3FE33956.1BEE13B9@msn.com...
> It sounds like it's under Data|Validation.
>
> chris313 wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to edit an excel worksheet that has drop down boxes.
> > However, the drop down boxes are not typical forms.  These drop down
> > boxes appear to be normal cells (They contain text).  When I click on
> > the box, a little gray box shows up w/ a down arrow to the right of the
> > cell.  However, if you right click on the cell, there aren't any
> > property options that are displayed.
> >
> > I was wondering if anybody had any idea what kind of drop down box this
> >
> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com


0
demechanik (4694)
12/20/2003 4:17:01 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Percent increase in excel #2
How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, one from last year and one from this year? One way: A1: <last year's value> B1: <this year's value> C1: =B1/A1-1 Format C1 as a percentage. In article <29182E64-291B-4B10-804E-88FE105D24AB@microsoft.com>, "Aiko" <Aiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, > one from last year and one from this year? Thank you for your answer, I send you and e-mail because I came up with new pro...

shared workbook in excel 2007
So many horror stories about shared excel workbooks crashing or losing data. I would like to have a shared excel workbook for our budget, shared among 30 people, who would enter in their budgets for specific departments. Are there users that have sucessfully utilized shared workbooks with 20-30 users? If so, what tips/secrets do you have to avoid the pitfalls of other sites, who have problems??? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice How to Create a Quiz with Free Quiz Template in Adobe Flash MX, Flash 8, Flash CS3, Flash CS4 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tuto...

Pasting excel chart into powerpoint
Office 2003. When I paste an excel chart into powerpoint, it's not pasting proportionally. I've added text boxes to the chart (in Excel). Also, the original chart is a full page in Excel, however when I paste it into Powerpoint, it's being reduced in size. when I enlarge it, the text boxes (that I added) then overlap one another in powerpoint, where they didn't do this in Excel. I just switched from '97 to 2003 and this wasn't a problem. Perhaps I'll also post this to the powerpoint newsgroup, in case the problem is there instead of excel. I have so...

continued: multiple selections in a list-box
There was a thread started on 9/15 about this (see below) where a list box with multiple selections would be dropped into a text field separated by by commas (or whatever you want). The corrolary to this then is: now that I've got a text / memo item filled with multiple values, how do I extract that back to the list-box if the form is opened up later to that record. Secondarily, is there a way to pull each of the values from the list box and have it populate a different table that has the record number and choice. For example, the main form (tbl_main) has you choose three or more...

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

Running Balance in excel pivot table
Hi, Have rows: Product, transaction no have data fields: qty rec, qty iss, balance (calculated field: qty rec - qty iss) want balance to be a running total with base field of product so want something like: ======================================================= product--------doc no-----------------rec-------------------- iss-----------------------balance ======================================================= acetic acid -------------------opnbal/ 1-----------------4----------------------0---------------------- (4-0)=4 -------------------sales/ inv-----------------0--------------------...

Excel Formula Help #6
Hi Everyone I have six numbers and letters in a cell on a spreadsheet and I am using the formula =RIGHT(F1,1) to obtain the first letter or number. However the formula is not picking the first number or letter in the string in all cases. Some of the cells are left blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow > .. Some of the cells are left blank Probably these are trailing white spaces which can be cleaned up using TRIM Try it as: =RIGHT(TRIM(F1),1) High-five? Click YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,500 Files:370 S...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

drawing excel like grids on access reports
Hi All, I want to draw excel like grids on my access reports. The line should start from the top of each label in the page footer to the bottom of the corresponding text box in the page footer.(For each text box in the detail section, there's one unbound text box in the page footer to display totals). I don't know how to do this. can anyone please help me? -- from chanakya Baruva Can't you use rectangle or line controls in your various sections? These should work unless your sections are set to Can Grow. If this is the case, you may need to use the Line method ...

Change a text box to a combo box
Hi there I have created several forms in my database. I realized that I should have made them combo boxes instead of text boxes. Is there any easy way for me to change them into the format I need? Thank you in advance for your help. Right-click on the text box and select changeTo from the menu. -- Reggie "forest8" <forest8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD867B89-38CC-4F20-A9AE-C177444DA9DA@microsoft.com...the > Hi there > > I have created several forms in my database. > > I realized that I should have made them combo ...

Why is Excel trying to access the network
I'm pasting some text into a cell - it did come from a website, but it's not a link or anything. It's just plain text - why the need to access the network? Maybe it's another cell, switch to formula view and see if you see something else. Because the formula view may not show everything, you might want to copy to another sheet so you can adjust columns to see your formulas better without affecting the column widths on the original. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm ...

Message box error check box
I have built a databse, on a form i have a close button i want to do a few checks to see if certain text boxes have data in them. I would want message box and then i want it to set focus to that box ( and highty llight it in red if pos) I have about 10 checks to do on every form that the best way to do this "Simon" <S.Dickson@shos.co.uk> wrote in message news:f628c1d7-0598-4d75-bc3a-6c41df313870@m16g2000yqc.googlegroups.com... >I have built a databse, on a form i have a close button i want to do > a few checks to see if certain text boxes have data in the...

Excel no more new fonts
I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook". How can I get around this? Thanks. Tuan, Any chance that you have a lot of charts in the workbook? There's a limit of 256 fonts in a workbook and each chart uses up two of them. Check here for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;168650 John "Tuan Ma" <tma@conocophillips.com> wrote in message news:0e5201c365f4$c036d370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied > to this workbook". How can...

Set color for chart serie in excel 2007/2010
Hi! I want to do a macro that sets the color for the chart series to the color the company has desided to use. We have a theme but we can only set color for the first 6 series and we often use much more series. I have understod that this isnt so easy as to loop thru the series and set the color since the color is set on different ways depending on the charttype for the serie, or is it a way to do this so it works for all chart types? thanks As you say only six basic colours are available. However each subsequent set of six is a shade lighter, although each incremental differe...

Incorrect Field Names Appear in PivotTable Field Dialog Box
I have found that items deleted from my source, standard worksheet, are still appearing in the Pivot Table Drop down list. I have applied the sollution in MS202232 but it did not clearup the outdated data. I have refreashed the pivot table before and after runing the MACRO "Delete_Fields" Not sure what else can be done, I continue to search groups and MS. ******** This is the code for the MACRO based MS202232: Sub Delete_Fields() On Error Resume Next For Each pvtfield In Worksheets(PivotTables).PivotTables(PivotTable1).PivotFields For Each pvtitem In pvtfield.PivotItem...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

Excel 2002 Problem
My first message accidentally sent before I finished typing in the second problem. Second problem again: Macro buttons that I have created and placed on my Formatting toolbar do not work when I open Excel 2002 and have two or more workbooks open. The macros for each button are stored in my Personal workbook. I get a message saying "A document with the name PERSONAL.XLS is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name." However, if I go to customize toolbars, I can reassign the macro to each button and the buttons work fine. If I close Excel and open ...

Virus in Excel ???
I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer appears. Is this in a worksheet of yours, that nobody else has used? There is a way to use VBA code to prevent you from using right click to do anything. tod >-----Original Message----- >I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but >that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer >appears. >. > Yes a new worksheet. The right click works. I can copy but when ...

Sorting subtotaled amounts in excel
I have subtotaled a spreadsheet and now wish to sort by the subtotals. I have tried collapsing the outline so that I only see the subtotaled amounts and then sorting Z->A but I still get the message: "This removes the subtotals and sorts again. If you want to sort the subtotaled groups, choose the Cancel button; then collapse the outline and try again". Any suggestions? Thanks. Hi, Possibly your answer is in this post : http://tinyurl.com/zfmky HTH Carim -- Carim ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Carim's Profile: http://www.exc...

Multiple combo boxes on a form
I have a form based on two tables. I would like a combo box for a field from each table that will fill in various fields from the relevant table. Does anyone have any suggestions? On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:58:37 GMT, "Malt" <u36720@uwe> wrote: >I have a form based on two tables. I would like a combo box for a field from >each table that will fill in various fields from the relevant table. Does >anyone have any suggestions? Why would you want to do that? It sounds like you're trying to store data from one table redundantly into a second table. This is essentially ...

Is this at all possible with Excel spreadsheets?
Hi all, I've got quite a problem on my hands. I have quite a few spreadsheets of personal information. I have columns labeled "Name", "Gender", "Address", "Phone Number" and etc... Now I have to enter all these information into a registration form on the web (A site that I do not have administrative powers to change the source code.) My question is: Is it at all possible to insert the information to the registration form from the spreadsheet without copying and pasting, like a tool that will simply direct the information in the spreadsheet cells t...

Replicating Formulas between excel files
Hi there, Does anyone know how I can replicate formulas (verbatim) between difference excel files? I've tried to cut and paste between the separate files, but to my dismay it makes a reference to the original file. Regards, Nickchups The best procedure depends on how many you're trying to copy. For one or two, you can select the *entire* formula in the formula bar, right click and choose "Copy", then hit <Enter>. Now you can navigate to wherever you wish, and Paste it as many times and/or places you want. For numerous formulas, *unformulate* them by replacing t...

inserting text form field in a text box
I'm designing a form that has several text boxes I want to be able to insert a text form field that I can type in different names in when needed, while keeping the rest of the text constant. Every time I go to insert form field from Legacy it is not available. Anybody have a solution. Your subject line has the missing clue. There is no way to insert a legacy form field (text or any other kind) in a text box, footnote, endnote, or header/footer. You can remove the text box and put the field into ordinary text, or you can use a text content control in a text box or elsewhe...

Short-cut for Maximizing child-window in Excel
How can i maximize the workbook open in Excel...any shortcut? Like, we use to maximise Windows Application by pressing Alt-Space-'x' Murtaza, Try this : Ctrl + F10 to maximize and ; Ctrl + F9 to minimize a workbook in Excel. HTH, Anushi (Grapecity) "Murtaza" <NoEmail@Please.com> wrote in message news:%23n5UTG6nEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How can i maximize the workbook open in Excel...any shortcut? > > Like, we use to maximise Windows Application by pressing Alt-Space-'x' > > Ctrl + F10 "Murtaza" <NoEmail@Please.co...

Drop Down Lists and Error Alerts
I have created a drop down list and want to put in an error alert, so that people cannot enter text into the fields (and can therefore only use the data in the drop down boxes). I have gone to the error alert tab in data validation and ticked the show error alert after invalid data is entered and the selected stop from the drop down box (and entered a short message). However, when I have tested the fields it is still allowing me to enter text and no warning message is coming up. Any ideas on what else I might need to do to make it work. Thanks. What data validation criteria have you...