Excel Doest Not Update and F9 Doesn't Do It

Occasionally I run into this problem:  when working with an involved
spreadsheet with numerous defined names and ranges, Excel fails to
update.  This often happens when I try to change one of the
definitions:  let's say, for example, the discount rate, on which a
whole host of cells depend, is increased from 10% to 12%.  This will
go through several rounds of iterations to recalculate

At this point, however, Excel reverts to the calculation mode and I'm
forced to press F9.  But it still fails to update the variable in
different worksheets.  I usually exit out of Excel or reboot
altogether and the problem has always goes away, especially with the
rebooting.

But it's is happening too often.  Does Excel automatically revert to
Manual Calculation if it's overwhelmed?  I never put my spreadsheet in
that mode.  How can I keep this from happening when using complex
financial models?  Thanks.

0
softie (5)
8/24/2007 4:39:35 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This has happened to me a few times and it is always the same files, I can't
help you on why this happens but this works for me. I do an edit>replace and
replace = with =
replacing the equal sign with an equal sign forces calculation and it is
easier than closing Excel

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Mister Softie >" <<softie@mistersoftie.net> wrote in message
> Occasionally I run into this problem:  when working with an involved
> spreadsheet with numerous defined names and ranges, Excel fails to
> update.  This often happens when I try to change one of the
> definitions:  let's say, for example, the discount rate, on which a
> whole host of cells depend, is increased from 10% to 12%.  This will
> go through several rounds of iterations to recalculate
>
> At this point, however, Excel reverts to the calculation mode and I'm
> forced to press F9.  But it still fails to update the variable in
> different worksheets.  I usually exit out of Excel or reboot
> altogether and the problem has always goes away, especially with the
> rebooting.
>
> But it's is happening too often.  Does Excel automatically revert to
> Manual Calculation if it's overwhelmed?  I never put my spreadsheet in
> that mode.  How can I keep this from happening when using complex
> financial models?  Thanks.

0
terre081 (3244)
8/24/2007 4:51:17 AM
Check this list:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0024.html

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Mister Softie >" <<softie@mistersoftie.net> wrote in message news:mnnsc3dqug44s0tsrdcirpcak9t6dv8ugb@4ax.com...
| Occasionally I run into this problem:  when working with an involved
| spreadsheet with numerous defined names and ranges, Excel fails to
| update.  This often happens when I try to change one of the
| definitions:  let's say, for example, the discount rate, on which a
| whole host of cells depend, is increased from 10% to 12%.  This will
| go through several rounds of iterations to recalculate
|
| At this point, however, Excel reverts to the calculation mode and I'm
| forced to press F9.  But it still fails to update the variable in
| different worksheets.  I usually exit out of Excel or reboot
| altogether and the problem has always goes away, especially with the
| rebooting.
|
| But it's is happening too often.  Does Excel automatically revert to
| Manual Calculation if it's overwhelmed?  I never put my spreadsheet in
| that mode.  How can I keep this from happening when using complex
| financial models?  Thanks.

0
nicolaus (2022)

Office wont start after update!
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Ok, so i installed office and had all the updates done..and when i click on word it opens, then i do the last update which was on april 14 i believe and after that it doesnt open. it keeps saying register online (that box where u can click "learn more" or "register online") i click finish it opens up the update screen, there are no more updates so i close that and word never opens nor does excel or anything else. whats the problem? installed office and it works fine, then i did one update and it works fine, but once...

Excel Data Querry using criteria from Cell
Hello, I have created a data query in Excel using DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA - NEW DATABASE QUERY and then selecting Access and browsing to an query within an Access database. This query returns all data into excel, but I would like to limit the criteria based on what a user has typed into a cell in the Excel workbook. I thought this could be accomplished by clicking DATA - IMPORT EXTERNAL DATA then PARAMETERS but the PARAMETERS option is grayed out. I can select EDIT CURRENT QUERY, but this just brings me into the Microsoft query, where I don't see any options to query based on...

Excel 2003 not understanding Access 2003 "like"
I have a number of Access queries linked and displayed in an Excel workbook by way of Data, Import External Data, Import Data. Some of the criteria and select statements in the queries use the keyword "Like" (e.g. Like "*Smith" to pull up all names ending in "Smith"). These statements seem to be completely ignored by Excel so that records I should see are not appearing in the workbook. This worked fine in versions 97 (from which we've just upgraded) so is this a version 2003 bug? If so, is there a fix? ...

Change 2007 excel Autofilter back to 2003?
Does anyone know if there is a way to change excel's 2007 autofilter functionality back to like excel 2003 autoflilter use to work? I need to quickly bring up like values and compare other columns based upon the filtered values and the extra clicking of the check boxes is driving me nuts! If it helps any (and if you haven't thought about it yet), you can click the "(Select All)" entry twice to remove your current selections. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "jonnybrovo815" <jonnybrovo815@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36837406-1...

Public Folder Calendar Appointment Updates
We use MS-Exchange with Outlook in our organization. We have set up a group calendar using public folders in Exchange to track group appointments. We enter appointments into this group folder and then invite the applicable people to the appointment. When we update or delete an appointment, the public folder keeps the old appointment in the calendar. This makes it difficult to determine which appointments are correct. Does anybody know how to get the public folder to automatically accept the changes and only show the most up to date information? Thanks, ...

publishing images with Excel workbook
I have created an workbook with Excel and put a photo on the first page. when I publish the workbook as an web page (interactivity) my photo is missing. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have try everything I know to do = insert picture, putting copying photo to clipboard and shift, pasta picture and still logo is missing. Lee ...

How do I create a Cost Volume Profit Graph in Excel?
I was wondering if I could get some help on how to create a CVP graph in Excel 2007. A cost volume profit shows how costs, revenues, and profits vary with volume (sales). You can either plot total cost, or fixed and variable costs, which add up to total costs. One way to show this is to make a break-even chart. Put unit sales (number of items sold) in the first column, fixed costs in the second (which are a constant), variable costs in the third column (these are typically a straight line through zero), and in the fourth insert formulas that sum fixed and variable costs to make total ...

Are online updates available in M+ trial version?
I'm having difficulties getting online updates with the MD+ trial version. Can anyone tell me if this feature is 'unlocked' in the trial software? Thanks. LT In microsoft.public.money, news.east.cox.net wrote: >I'm having difficulties getting online updates with the MD+ trial version. >Can anyone tell me if this feature is 'unlocked' in the trial software? It is not locked. If running Vista, be sure that your Money and backup files are moved to a spot that you will have full privileges to, such as within the user's Documents folder. Check that the ...

how can I split a single cell diagonally in Excel 2000
Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel cell diagonally in order to have it contain 2 pieces of information? Forrest, As far as I know, you can not split a cell diagonally so that it can contain 2 pieces of information. However, you can merge cells which might give you the effect that you want. To do so, go to the standard toolbar and hit Format -> Cells -> Alignment Tab -> Text Control and work with the merged cells option. ---- Regards, John Mansfield http://www.pdbook.com "Forrest" wrote: > Anyone out there know a way to split a single excel ce...

Reading ranges and copying data from Excel when it is not open
Is there a way in code to copy data out of an Excel file even if Excel is not up and running? If Excel were open, I'd copy, say, the first 30 rows and paste the info to PowerPoint. Then, since rows 1-5 are for column headings, I'd hide rows 6-30 and copy a new range which would look involve 30 rows, but since rows 6-30 were hidden would be 1-5 and then 31-55 as a contiguous block. I am trying to do this in VBA without opening Excel and instatiating objects, etc. Is it possible? What VBA commands would I use? You would need to treat the excel file as a database and use ADO to g...

Mode Indicators in Excel?
A good example of a missing mode indicator one for whether th calculation mode is set to manual or automatic. Isn't there any othe way to find out other than going to the Tools>Options>Calculatio dialog? This has messed me up almost any time calculation gets set t manual. Another example is that trying to use stored Custom Views for filtere lists gives the error "Some view settings could not be applied" on som worksheets (usually complex ones), but works OK in others (usuall simpler ones). I know sheet protection is one thing that can caus this (which itself has no mod...

Update Inventory Items
Hi, Appreciate any help. I am looking at importing new values into the following fields below using IM - GP Adapter (Inventory Item) but not sure if my source fiile is actually correct. I'm unsure if these are all the fields I shud have. My source file has the following fields. I am looking to update exiting item records in GP and update the last 5 fields. Is this possible in IM? I am able to update this manually in GP. Item Number Item Description Current Cost - Item Master List Price - Item Master Standard cost - Item Master Primary Vendor - Item Qty Site window...

update chart automatically
I need to know how to update a chart automatically so it wil incorporate new months data as it is entered into a log. I have a data log with a complete list of the required data in column and the dates listed for each. When a new month begins I would like to plot data for it automaticall in a pre existing bar graph as it is entered into the log. My goal is to make this a user friendly program so I don't have to b the only one to know how to use it. Another problem I have run into is my graphs use several series to sho the data, I would like each month to contain data from each se...

Chart drawing problem in Excel 2003
Over the last few months I have had the same problem in excel with all charts where I've used a two colour fill effect for either a data series or background. When I use this feature the entire chart is only viewable in black and white and excel takes a long time to actually draw the chart. However if I print the chart or even copy and paste into excel all the colours are as they should be. The mpeg moving shows how excel draws an example chart when the chart sheet is activated http://www.paperlessbooks.co.uk/barchart_example.avi and to see how excel prints to pdf see the pdf belo...

Unable to to choose update stocks on line
I just upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2004. When I go to update my stock portfolio all I cab choose is Ipdate quotes manually. What happened and how can I restore it? In microsoft.public.money, Frank wrote: >I just upgraded from Money 2003 to Money 2004. When I go >to update my stock portfolio all I cab choose is Ipdate >quotes manually. What happened and how can I restore it? In any case, these are worth doing: In Internet Explorer delete your browser temporary files with Tools->InternetOptions->DeleteFiles. Then in Money do File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepa...

Auto Filter
When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when filtering. Is there any way of being able to accomplish this? Hi you may have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits for a workaround Frank Gail wrote: > When using the filter only the first 1000 unique entries in a list > will appear when you click on the arrow. I have more than 1000 > unique entries [ie. company names] that I would like to see when > filterin...

Excel cant SAVE added data?
This is a copy/paste with minor edits from post submitted yesterday ... Excel 2000 ... I have a single page spread sheet (my own) ... built in Excel 2000 (still Excel 2000) that was working fine. After expanding the spread sheet to handle more equipment I received error message stating: Excel can not SAVE all of the added data & formatting ... Here I had the option to select OK without fixing ... CANCEL ... or ... HELP. I selected HELP & ended up on a blank HELP Page ... So now I am turning to this board. Anybody know what gives? Could I be running into a formatting limit i...

Monitoring UPDATE
Hello, I'm suspecting that a user in the network is using management studio or other tool to login with his name behind the scenes and updating a certain table , how can I monitor that event ? to know user login/machine/time/statement used ? PS. I can't use Profiler , is SQL Server itself have a log for that purpose that I can see it ? Thank you Bassam Forgot to say we are using SQL Server 2005 Standard "Bassam" <egbas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ukbvh1eFLHA.5472@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I'm suspecting th...

Coloured wheel of death with excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I get a coloured wheel of death every time i use excel from office 2008, almost every time I type into a cell, for about 3 - 6 seconds. I've looked on here and there seems to be a lot of discussion about hp drivers, but I don't have an hp printer. I'm working in normal view. Can anyone help? First, be certain that both Office (12.2.3) & OS X (10.6.2) are fully updated. Run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions, then see if things improve after a restart of your Mac. If things are still ...

problem with updating calendar appointments
Hi, I have a problem where sometimes a user will update an appointment in their calendar and send an update to all attendees. The updated information is accepted and show in the attendees calendar but when the user later checks the their calendar that updated information is missing. Has anyone else had this problem? Everyone is running Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2007. The user also has 1 Delegate with editor access to their calendar and meeting requests/responses sent to both delegate and themselves. Kind Regards I have the same problem with Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003...

Excel cut/Paste Problem: Year changes after data is copy and paste
I am using Excel 2003, and here is the problem. I have an Excel sheet that contains financials. Different departments need different sections of the data, so I copy and paste out only those sections they need and paste it into a new Excel sheet. The colums are broken up into dates, and formated to show date-year (Dec-05). For some reason, when I copy and paste sections, the date will change, for example Dec-05 will change to Dec-01. I have to go thru and manually correct all the dates. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? . .. maybe the cells in the New worksheet are preset to a c...

EXCEL Decimal changes during WORD Merge
Why does Excel change 16 cents into .1599999 in a merge process Have not had this problem until we upgraded to 2003????? I have tried different cell formats in Excel Number - currency - accounting - custom - all with the 2 decimal places text - but rather not lose numeric functions (am re-entering figures by hand and using text format today to finish merged letters - - ugghhh!) Help? I have had a similar problem in previous versions of Excel as well, not just Office 2003. Is the data in Excel coming from an outside source like a non Microsoft database query? I run into this probl...

Copy/Paste with Hidden Rows/Columns Excel 2007
I am working with rather large & detailed spreadsheets. I have hidden rows and columns with supporting details that feed into the viewable results (formulas). I need to take the “zipped up” data and copy/paste to a new worksheet. When I paste the data, it appears with all of the hidden columns and rows visible one again. Is there any way to paste the zipped up data without the reappearance of the previously hidden rows and columns? Can you paste a link without all of the hidden data reappearing? Select range to copy which includes hidden rows and columns. F5>Special...

Excel XP automatic equals sign when formula bar clicked
In Excel 2000, you could click on a cell, then click on the formula bar and an equals sign would pop up in anticipation of a formula to be written. How can you make Excel 2002 duplicate this behavior? Hi Mike! This was removed from Excel 2002 onwards. The closest you'll get is: View > Toolbars > Customize Under the Insert list you'll find "=" Drag it to a toolbar near the formula bar. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. &q...

Macro needed to update a spreadsheet
Hi, Group Basically, I had a query and a worsheet. The query namely “Updated” has 8 columns, while the other worksheet “Live” has 16 columns (8 of them are same with “Update”, rest are different). However, both of them have a same indicate column “Equipment ID”. What I need is to use the “Updated” query to update the “Live” one. That is whenever, there’s a change in the “Equipment ID” of “Update” I need the changes .including all other 8 columns, to be reflected on the “Live” sheet, no matter it’s an addition, deletion or just change of value. Did I make myself clear? Thanks Not entirel...