Excel does not return to previous cell

Hi all,

I am running into an problem with my users.  We have a Excel 2000
spreadsheet.  I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected
when a user closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens
the spreadsheet the next time.  However, the problem I am seeing is
that the proves true with some users, but not with all users.  Some
users open the spreadsheet and instead of going back to, say cell A972,
it opens to, say cell B4.

I would welcome any input on this issue.

Thanks,

Jeff Averhoff

0
javerhoff (2)
10/6/2006 7:09:39 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

<<<"I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected when a user
closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens the spreadsheet
the next time.">>>

This is not *exactly* true!

Change "closes" to "saves and closes", and you'll be accurate.

Are they *all* saving before closing?
--
Regards,

RD

"javerhoff" <javerhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I am running into an problem with my users.  We have a Excel 2000
> spreadsheet.  I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected
> when a user closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens
> the spreadsheet the next time.  However, the problem I am seeing is
> that the proves true with some users, but not with all users.  Some
> users open the spreadsheet and instead of going back to, say cell A972,
> it opens to, say cell B4.
>
> I would welcome any input on this issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Averhoff

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
10/6/2006 7:20:15 PM
Hello,

We figured out the problem, or at least found what we think was the
issue.

I seems to have to do with the way the user was freezing some panes.
They were freezing a specific cell to get the whole row instead of
selecting the entire row.

Once we did the entire row, it goes to the last cell used now.

***STRANGE***

Thanks for the input.

Jeff

RagDyer wrote:
> <<<"I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected when a user
> closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens the spreadsheet
> the next time.">>>
>
> This is not *exactly* true!
>
> Change "closes" to "saves and closes", and you'll be accurate.
>
> Are they *all* saving before closing?
> --
> Regards,
>
> RD

> "javerhoff" <javerhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am running into an problem with my users.  We have a Excel 2000
> > spreadsheet.  I know that typically, the sheet/cell that is selected
> > when a user closes the spreadsheet will be the same when a user opens
> > the spreadsheet the next time.  However, the problem I am seeing is
> > that the proves true with some users, but not with all users.  Some
> > users open the spreadsheet and instead of going back to, say cell A972,
> > it opens to, say cell B4.
> >
> > I would welcome any input on this issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff Averhoff

0
javerhoff (2)

Sorting in excel charts
I have a chart in excel 2007 I want to sort rows 1-5 decending and rows 6-11 decending but when I select just that much and click to sort it re-hilights all of the data in the blue bounding chart selection is there a way to only sort a few rows in an excel chart I cannot reproduce the problem. When I select 5 cells out of 11 in a column Excel 2007 does not automatically change the selection. -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 double-click to format may not work; right click and select from the menu ...

How do you make cells smaller?
How do you make cells smaller for excel. -- Thanks!!! Reduce column width and row height? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "brawl" <brawl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C049EF6-9C2F-4227-B7BB-055EFD94E0BE@microsoft.com... > How do you make cells smaller for excel. > -- > Thanks!!! You could also try zooming out from the View menu. 80% zoom is a good fit I like to work with. -- Thanks, Christopher This posting is provided "...

how do i add a quadratic trendline to excel
i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? im using windows XP home edition Chart|Add Trendline select a polynomial of order 2 then click on the Options tab and request that Excel display the formula. Alternately =LINEST(ydata,xdata^{1,2}) will give you the quadratic coefficients in a worksheet. Jerry moseichuk007 wrote: > i need to add a trendline for a quadratic equation for my math project but it > seems to me that its not available is there a way that i can do it? > im...

Spliiting a cell
I have a column and its contents is a question which states... What is the Cost of Superbills? Quantity of: I would like to split this lone cell and have the quantity right next to the question. Can I do this??? Make sure the column to the right is empty, then do data>text to columns, select fixed width, click next and click where you want the split. If there can be different strings with different lenght you can use a formula to find for instance the question mark =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND("?",A1)+1,255)) Regards, Peo Sjoblom "RTP" wrote: > I have a column and it...

Excel password #3
I forgot the password for my excel file. I have tried some programs such as Accent Excel password recovery, advance office password recovery. Neither did work. Sang. Well, your options are to either remember the password or find a recovery program that works for you. No guarantees - if you picked a really good password it will be tough to break it. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007: http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon "Sang-Wook...

Excel caused an invalid page fault in module EXCEL:EXE at 0137:300
w'95 obtain this error message when opening Excel. However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? Thanks dgb Hi do you get this error in all cases?. If yes probably a re-install could help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dgb wrote: > w'95 > obtain this error message when opening Excel. > However , if I link to the internet it will then open without a > problem. Can anyone advise how this can / should be rectifyed? > Thanks > dgb ...

Question on Excel 2002
I am attempting to use objects from the control toolbox (e.g. chec boxes), but I do not appear to have the "format control" option when right click on the object (an option available on the previous versio of Excel). Does anyone know if this can be added or alternate way t select this, or if such functionality now requires VBA code. Thank for you help -- case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- caser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1652 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thr...

Excel VBA Macro
Hello, I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" Please advise. Thanks Sheela Sheela, It appears correct. Although personally I would use & instead of + when concatenating. Sheela wrote: > Hello, > > I want to check if this statement is correct in excel VBA: > > Const DataPath = "U:\DATA\PROGRAM\" > > Workbooks.Open Filename:=DataPath + "MOPS.XLS" > > Please advise. Thanks > > Sheela -- Cheers Andy...

excel wont open file #2
I am trying to open a excel file, but a message comes up saying th file is corrupt ,is there anyway i can open i -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

How do I change the size of Value Axis Title box for an Excel Cha.
The title box cannot be sized. I must reduce the font to very small to prevent truncating the title. I would have thought I could drag the box to the size I wanted but I do not get the chance to do so. Instead of a Title, you can use a Text Box: Select the Chart Type the text you want in the Title Press the Enter key A text box will appear in the centre of the chart Drag it to the location you want it, and format/resize as desired. If you prefer, you can link the text box to a worksheet cell, and display its text: Select the chart Type an equal sign Click on the cell you want to link Pr...

how to use excel to do random sampling
I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do this? if your sample is between a1:a30 and your sample between 0 & 1. in B1 type =Rand(a1) and copy and paste the formula to B30. if your numbers are larger than 1 then use =Rand(a1)*100. Rand() gives you random sample. Nikki "stats" wrote: > I have a data set of 30 numbers. I need to use excel to draw 50 random > samples of size 5 and then compute the mean for each sample. How do I do > this? With, or without, ...

Value of cell Defines Range
Hello, I am trying to set a picture to a range of cells which I can do by setting the picture to a range like =$A$1:$C$5. My problem is that the range can change anytime. It will always start in $A$1 and end in column $C but the row for column $C can vary. I know what row column $C should be but I cannot not change the range automatically but have to do it manually. I can put the value for the row in column $C in a cell like D1 but I cannot think of a way to put that in the range automatically (See Example below). Any ideas? Example Range is =$A$1:$C$?. D1 contains the value of 8. So I want ...

convert soft line breaks to new cell
I need heeeeeeelp!!!! I need to export my outlook contacts into Excel in order to do a big mail merge for a third party. When i export my contacts folder, if I have more than one address line in the "Address" part (e.g. top line has "Building Name", second line has "number and Street Name") it puts both lines into the same cell in excel with a line break. This causes problems when I send it to someone else for printing onto labels etc. Is there a way in Outlook to force it to export each address line to a new cell or a way in excel to convert the soft breaks w...

Excel Files Won't Open From Shortcut
The title's misleading but I couldn't find a way to express it succinctly. If I have 2 Excel windows open, with one or more workbooks within each window, and I click on an Excel file-name in Windows Explorer or on a shortcut to an Excel file-name, nothing happens. If I close both Excel windows and try it, the file will open. Or if I go to Files, Open, and Browse to the file name it will open. This is both new and a pain in the rear. As recently as 3 months ago I could open six or eight Excel files at the blink of an eye, from Windows Explorer or from shortcuts. What change...

multi formulas in excel
Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the formula I am using example: =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but what I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives me -66.7% I need the answser to be positive, example 66.7 =1-C4/C3 HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "the_catster" <the_catster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0710DB8F-C669-4BFF-99F2-93E46850ACEA@microsoft.com... > Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the > formula I am using e...

why RegQueryValueEx return 2?
long ret0=(::RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_CURRENT_USER,data_Set, 0, KEY_READ, &hKey)); ret0 is ERROR_SUCCESS but next long ret1::RegQueryValueEx(hKey, "LangType", NULL, &type_1, sType, &cbData_1); ret1 is 2 why?? of course I contained the name of the value "LangType" > long ret0=(::RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_CURRENT_USER,data_Set, 0, KEY_READ, &hKey)); > >ret0 is ERROR_SUCCESS >but next > long ret1::RegQueryValueEx(hKey, "LangType", NULL, &type_1, sType, >&cbData_1); >ret1 is 2 >why?? >of course I contained the name ...

relates to previous question regarding memberships cards and intia
Hi,before i start my next question i would just liek to say thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier quetions it is much appreciated,the next question i have is related to the question regarding the membership cards i wanted to create.I made the query as told and it works great! Left([FirstName],1) but how do i get the query to run when opening the report to display the bales ?? thanks On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:49:03 -0800, newuser <newuser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi,before i start my next question i would just liek to say thanks to >everyone who replied ...

embed checkbox in a cell
How do I put a checkbox in a cell, instead of floating? I have a 14-page form with lots of checkboxes. The is a form that needs to be printed and I am having a time making modifications/formatting/page set up changes with floating boxes. Help. You can use Marlett font, then, while holding the alt key down, type 097 FROM THE NUMERIC KEYPAD, then let go of the alt key. Or type =CHAR(97), in the Marlett font. "ReneeR" wrote: > How do I put a checkbox in a cell, instead of floating? I have a 14-page > form with lots of checkboxes. The is a form that needs to be printe...

You Must Enter A Number In This Cell
I have the respective cells formatted to General and have made sure that the work sheet is unprotected. I have also check for any formulas that might refer to these range of cells--there are none. Each time I attempt to enter the color of the item in this cell, i.e. black, I receive the above message. Please help. Thanks, victor La, could be data validation, click on the cell and then go to data validation and see if there is anything there -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback...

Combining cells with text
I have two cells that both have text in them. Cell A2 contains the old status. Cell B2 contains the new status. I'd like to keep the history of the old status and update it with the new status on top. So cell A2 will now look like: 5/6 New Status 4/20 Old Status Can this be done? I'm using Excel 2003. I'm guessing it will be VBA code but don't know what it will say. Thanks. =A1 & " Old status" and copy paste special - values to keep the value static. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Nadine" <Nadine@discussion...

showing picture when sliding over worksheet cell
How can I make Excel show me a self-made drawing when I slide over a single cell in a worksheet? thanks roland Put it in a comment. See Debra Dalgleish's site for instructions: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture Roland wrote: > > How can I make Excel show me a self-made drawing when I slide over a single > cell in a worksheet? > > thanks > roland -- Dave Peterson ...

combine text from 2 cells HELP! PLEASE!
I have text in cell A and Cell B. I would like to add the text in cell B to the end of the text in cell A while seperating them with a | (pipe). One way: =A1&"|"&B1 or if you want spaces on both sides of the pipe: =A1&" | "&B1 HTH, ryanb. "John Adams" <johnadams@comcast.net> wrote in message news:nk17sv0h9j37coum79h30ac071gr7o8jdt@4ax.com... > I have text in cell A and Cell B. I would like to add the text in cell > B to the end of the text in cell A while seperating them with a | > (pipe). > John, Try a formula like ...

Pasting copied pages without the hidden or grouped cells
Hi I would like to copy a spreadsheet and paste without hidden columns or grouped cells. I asked this about 4 weeks ago, got a terrific answer, and am blowed if I can remember how to do it. Thanks Tim Search the archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* enter your email address in the author text box to bring up any messages and replies that you've ever posted. In article <4042dd03$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "Tim" <Tim@beachsideunits.com.au> wrote: > Hi I would like to copy a spreadsheet and paste without hidden columns or >...

Storing current dates and system username on a cell
I need a code either a formula or better still a sub procedure o function for storing a current date value which cannot alter after tha date and the username(from the system) on a cell automatically onl after the user has clicked the saved button. For example Date (to be automatated) :username(to be automatated) 08/07/2004 : Jo freazer 09/07/2004 : Kelly hamburger 10/07/2004 : Tai Azi 11/07/2004 : Kelly hamburger Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelF...

Import information to Excel
I have a link to transfer data from an internet resource into my excel sheet. I can only grab block of information from the webpage. Is there a way to specify the inforation I want instead of having to link the whole block of data? The reason I'm asking is when I link a block, several column of data will be imported to Excel in one column. I use "Text to Columns", but that won't help next time I refresh the data. Thanks. Jason in <get external data> if you want the tables only you can specify. If you want only one table then also you can specify. Only proble...