Excel DNS query

Hello,

Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?

Thanks.

Soundy

0
soundy (5)
7/3/2006 3:27:30 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Not that I know of, but you can turn on the macro recorder, use 'get
external data' and tailor the resulting code into a user function of your
own.

E.g. I've used this to create a button to get MS-Access data from a query
that has the same name as the sheet (tab) name. It saves me a lot of
copy-paste actions.

Bas Hartkamp

<soundy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Soundy

Thanks, I'll try it out.

HS Hartkamp wrote:
> Not that I know of, but you can turn on the macro recorder, use 'get
> external data' and tailor the resulting code into a user function of your
> own.
>
> E.g. I've used this to create a button to get MS-Access data from a query
> that has the same name as the sheet (tab) name. It saves me a lot of
> copy-paste actions.
>
> Bas Hartkamp
>

> <soundy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> > Soundy

0
soundy (5)

Percent increase in excel #2
How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, one from last year and one from this year? One way: A1: <last year's value> B1: <this year's value> C1: =B1/A1-1 Format C1 as a percentage. In article <29182E64-291B-4B10-804E-88FE105D24AB@microsoft.com>, "Aiko" <Aiko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How could I do a percent increase when I have two tables with money values, > one from last year and one from this year? Thank you for your answer, I send you and e-mail because I came up with new pro...

shared workbook in excel 2007
So many horror stories about shared excel workbooks crashing or losing data. I would like to have a shared excel workbook for our budget, shared among 30 people, who would enter in their budgets for specific departments. Are there users that have sucessfully utilized shared workbooks with 20-30 users? If so, what tips/secrets do you have to avoid the pitfalls of other sites, who have problems??? Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice How to Create a Quiz with Free Quiz Template in Adobe Flash MX, Flash 8, Flash CS3, Flash CS4 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tuto...

Pasting excel chart into powerpoint
Office 2003. When I paste an excel chart into powerpoint, it's not pasting proportionally. I've added text boxes to the chart (in Excel). Also, the original chart is a full page in Excel, however when I paste it into Powerpoint, it's being reduced in size. when I enlarge it, the text boxes (that I added) then overlap one another in powerpoint, where they didn't do this in Excel. I just switched from '97 to 2003 and this wasn't a problem. Perhaps I'll also post this to the powerpoint newsgroup, in case the problem is there instead of excel. I have so...

.qfx file in excel
my bank for some reason will only allow me to download my statement in a qfx file (quicken) but i dont have any quicken programs i use excel to manage my finances how can i open this file up??? If the bank does not have .text (.txt) or comma separated variables (.csv), which would probably be listed as spreadsheet format, then I would complain to the bank. Meanwhile you could copy and paste from your checking activity HTML pages. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: ...

Running Balance in excel pivot table
Hi, Have rows: Product, transaction no have data fields: qty rec, qty iss, balance (calculated field: qty rec - qty iss) want balance to be a running total with base field of product so want something like: ======================================================= product--------doc no-----------------rec-------------------- iss-----------------------balance ======================================================= acetic acid -------------------opnbal/ 1-----------------4----------------------0---------------------- (4-0)=4 -------------------sales/ inv-----------------0--------------------...

Excel Formula Help #6
Hi Everyone I have six numbers and letters in a cell on a spreadsheet and I am using the formula =RIGHT(F1,1) to obtain the first letter or number. However the formula is not picking the first number or letter in the string in all cases. Some of the cells are left blank. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow > .. Some of the cells are left blank Probably these are trailing white spaces which can be cleaned up using TRIM Try it as: =RIGHT(TRIM(F1),1) High-five? Click YES below -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:23,500 Files:370 S...

Unable to start up my Excel files
One of my users have this odd issue with his Excel 2003. He's unable to start the files directly but instead he must start a blank excel sheet then open his files from there. Is there a solution to this issue? Please advise. Thanks! Dell 170L P4 800mghz 1gbram Windows XP Pro SP2 Office 2003 SP2 Could the problem be that he cannot open files by double-clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but must open Excel (which will launch a blank sheet) and then open them directly from there using File / Open... If so then tell him to try Tools / Options / General / untick 'Ignore Othe...

drawing excel like grids on access reports
Hi All, I want to draw excel like grids on my access reports. The line should start from the top of each label in the page footer to the bottom of the corresponding text box in the page footer.(For each text box in the detail section, there's one unbound text box in the page footer to display totals). I don't know how to do this. can anyone please help me? -- from chanakya Baruva Can't you use rectangle or line controls in your various sections? These should work unless your sections are set to Can Grow. If this is the case, you may need to use the Line method ...

Why is Excel trying to access the network
I'm pasting some text into a cell - it did come from a website, but it's not a link or anything. It's just plain text - why the need to access the network? Maybe it's another cell, switch to formula view and see if you see something else. Because the formula view may not show everything, you might want to copy to another sheet so you can adjust columns to see your formulas better without affecting the column widths on the original. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm ...

Excel no more new fonts
I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook". How can I get around this? Thanks. Tuan, Any chance that you have a lot of charts in the workbook? There's a limit of 256 fonts in a workbook and each chart uses up two of them. Check here for more info. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;168650 John "Tuan Ma" <tma@conocophillips.com> wrote in message news:0e5201c365f4$c036d370$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I'm getting the message "no more new fonts may be applied > to this workbook". How can...

File set up query.
Can i set up an excel file to open automatically on pc start up? The easiest is to use the Startup folder available in the Start Menu. To access it go to Start - Programs - Startup. You can delete or add tasks here according to your needs. They will start after Windows logon. When you start Excel, all the files that are located in the XLStart folder are automatically opened. Additionally, if you specified an alternative startup folder for Excel, every file in that folder is also automatically opened. To specify an alternative startup folder, in Microsoft Excel 2002 or Microsof...

MS Query help!
I am in need of using excel and MS Query to intersect 2 tables, one in oracle and one in an excel spread sheet. I have come up with various work arounds, but none seem to be worth it unless I know that this is absolutely impossible in normal circumstances. how can I have 2 data sources for one join query in MS Query. best regards, Alexandre Brisebois ...

Set color for chart serie in excel 2007/2010
Hi! I want to do a macro that sets the color for the chart series to the color the company has desided to use. We have a theme but we can only set color for the first 6 series and we often use much more series. I have understod that this isnt so easy as to loop thru the series and set the color since the color is set on different ways depending on the charttype for the serie, or is it a way to do this so it works for all chart types? thanks As you say only six basic colours are available. However each subsequent set of six is a shade lighter, although each incremental differe...

Excel charts into powerpoint
Is there some simple code that I can use to get a group of excel charts into an existing powerpoint presentation? ...

Excel 2002 Problem
My first message accidentally sent before I finished typing in the second problem. Second problem again: Macro buttons that I have created and placed on my Formatting toolbar do not work when I open Excel 2002 and have two or more workbooks open. The macros for each button are stored in my Personal workbook. I get a message saying "A document with the name PERSONAL.XLS is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name." However, if I go to customize toolbars, I can reassign the macro to each button and the buttons work fine. If I close Excel and open ...

Virus in Excel ???
I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer appears. Is this in a worksheet of yours, that nobody else has used? There is a way to use VBA code to prevent you from using right click to do anything. tod >-----Original Message----- >I can't right click, copy and paste a cell. I can use ctrl c and ctrl v but >that puts the info in the clipboard. The blinking dotted box no longer >appears. >. > Yes a new worksheet. The right click works. I can copy but when ...

Sorting subtotaled amounts in excel
I have subtotaled a spreadsheet and now wish to sort by the subtotals. I have tried collapsing the outline so that I only see the subtotaled amounts and then sorting Z->A but I still get the message: "This removes the subtotals and sorts again. If you want to sort the subtotaled groups, choose the Cancel button; then collapse the outline and try again". Any suggestions? Thanks. Hi, Possibly your answer is in this post : http://tinyurl.com/zfmky HTH Carim -- Carim ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Carim's Profile: http://www.exc...

Is this at all possible with Excel spreadsheets?
Hi all, I've got quite a problem on my hands. I have quite a few spreadsheets of personal information. I have columns labeled "Name", "Gender", "Address", "Phone Number" and etc... Now I have to enter all these information into a registration form on the web (A site that I do not have administrative powers to change the source code.) My question is: Is it at all possible to insert the information to the registration form from the spreadsheet without copying and pasting, like a tool that will simply direct the information in the spreadsheet cells t...

Replicating Formulas between excel files
Hi there, Does anyone know how I can replicate formulas (verbatim) between difference excel files? I've tried to cut and paste between the separate files, but to my dismay it makes a reference to the original file. Regards, Nickchups The best procedure depends on how many you're trying to copy. For one or two, you can select the *entire* formula in the formula bar, right click and choose "Copy", then hit <Enter>. Now you can navigate to wherever you wish, and Paste it as many times and/or places you want. For numerous formulas, *unformulate* them by replacing t...

Short-cut for Maximizing child-window in Excel
How can i maximize the workbook open in Excel...any shortcut? Like, we use to maximise Windows Application by pressing Alt-Space-'x' Murtaza, Try this : Ctrl + F10 to maximize and ; Ctrl + F9 to minimize a workbook in Excel. HTH, Anushi (Grapecity) "Murtaza" <NoEmail@Please.com> wrote in message news:%23n5UTG6nEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How can i maximize the workbook open in Excel...any shortcut? > > Like, we use to maximise Windows Application by pressing Alt-Space-'x' > > Ctrl + F10 "Murtaza" <NoEmail@Please.co...

Moving curesor in excel a set number of coulumns to the right or l
In excel 2003 I want to move the cursor a set number of columns to the right or left a set number of columns. Tab does not work for what I need. I want the active cell to move x number of columns over to the righ tor left. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "JPD" <JPD@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:A234A0DB-96CB-404B-AF45-5FDDF5B5DCD0@microsoft.com... > In excel 2003 I want to move the cursor a set number of columns to the right > or left a set number of columns. Tab does not work for what I need. I want > the ...

Excel temp files in network dir
I have users that are accessing a network shares to their excel files. I often see files that are 8 characters long Ex(D8710B20) and without extensions, left over in their dir. I have read MS article 814068 and understand that these are created during the save function; however, i have ruled out permissions and antivirus as the cause. These files consume a lot of network space. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Delete them? "les" <les.becker@ifcosystems.com> wrote in message news:242501c37332$34e6b600$a601280a@phx.gbl... : I have users that are accessing...

Problem in saving Date and $ field in Excel to CSV file
We just copy and paste data from MS Access 2003 to Excel 2003. When we save the Excel as CSV file, we find that the date has been converted to American format. We have checked the Regional Settings and Australia is used. Is there any language setting in Excel ? Moreover, on another machine, we are able to save to non-American date. However, we find that for monetary field, most of them are quoted - Like "$2,000.00" but some are not quoted - like $580.00. Your advice is sought. Thanks Peter ...

Excel 2003
Occasionally, when I paste a cell's contents into other cells, the right side of the screen a small Paste icon appears next to the cells. Also occasionally a Format painter icon appears next to a cell for no particular reason. I don't use Format Painter, and it isn't on any of my toolbars. -- PT You're seeing the Paste Options icon. It's to let you change some aspect of the Paste after the fact. I guess it can be helpful although I don't use it much. If you do not want to see it any more uncheck "Show Paste Options buttons" under Tools, Options, Edi...

Query base on list box
I would like to develop a query (qry_selected_dealers) base on list box (lstdlr). The user will be able to select multiple dealers from the list box. The query should exclude whatever has been selected. However, if nothing is selected then all data should be shown. My listbox pulls the list of dealers off a table (tbl_dealers). I am not good in coding, and would like the query be able to run base on the criteria of the list. Any help would be appreciated. -Mario Alex wrote: >I would like to develop a query (qry_selected_dealers) base on list box >(lstdlr). The ...