Excel DNS query

Hello,

Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?

Thanks.

Soundy

0
soundy (5)
7/3/2006 3:27:30 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Not that I know of, but you can turn on the macro recorder, use 'get
external data' and tailor the resulting code into a user function of your
own.

E.g. I've used this to create a button to get MS-Access data from a query
that has the same name as the sheet (tab) name. It saves me a lot of
copy-paste actions.

Bas Hartkamp

<soundy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Soundy

Thanks, I'll try it out.

HS Hartkamp wrote:
> Not that I know of, but you can turn on the macro recorder, use 'get
> external data' and tailor the resulting code into a user function of your
> own.
>
> E.g. I've used this to create a button to get MS-Access data from a query
> that has the same name as the sheet (tab) name. It saves me a lot of
> copy-paste actions.
>
> Bas Hartkamp
>

> <soundy@gmail.com> schreef in bericht
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a way for an Excel function to query a DNS server?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> > Soundy

0
soundy (5)

Date format in Excel 2000
Hello, I am attempting import a text file into Excel 2000. The text data is set as YY/MM/DD format, and I would like to keep the same format in Excel. Excel automatically converts the date into MM/DD/YYYY format, even though I select general on the formatting tab when doing the import. Is there a way to have this field ignored so that my raw data can stay in it's original format? Thanks, Scott Hi try preformating this column with your date format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1...

comparing excel spreadsheets from command line
Hi, I am running tests here that involve comparing two excel spread sheets. right now we have to manually open the files, copy and paste the contents of each into a separate too, and run a compare. This is time consuming as it involves an awful lot of manual intervention. Ideally, I would like to run some sort of command that takes the two files as params and which outputs (preferable in some sort of graphical format) the differences between the two files. Is that possible? Or am I asking too much? thanks much and have a nice day Graham hi, see this site. http://www.cpearson.com/ex...

Copying numbers from Excel to Word
Hi, I have numbers in Excel formated in Hebrew font Narkisim.When I copy them from Excel to Word (2003 and 2007) it converts the numbres to Times New Roman and force them to be formated as ENGLISH charachters instead of HEBREW. Is it a bug? Thank you, Tamir :-) __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Hi Tamir, If you paste the numbers into a Word range formatted with the Narkisim font, I'd expect them to retain ...

Excel does not print
A few of my users have the problem in excel when they attempt to print, the job goes to the printer spool (I can see it appear and quickly disappears) but never prints. Users get no errors or any other indication that the file does not print. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know a possible fix? Jeff Hi does this happen only with Excel documents? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Jeff" <jeff4379@news.postalias> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#IcJGVX2EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > A few of my users have the problem in excel when they attempt to p...

Excel #27
i am doing a worksheet and need to know what a page in a spreadsheet is called. it begins with W. x EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Self-Updating Service Command Pattern MSMQ Invoker http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/56da6071-0b12-4c99-986f-ce836e2d32e0/selfupdating-service-com.aspx I'm fairly certain that it was explained on the first page of your reading assignment. Charlie wrote: > i am doing a worksheet and need to know what a page in a spreadsheet is called. it begins with W. x > > EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice > Self...

Excel cell format
I have quaotes around one of my cell, I have Rodgruiz, JR in the cell and it is defined as a text field. why is it putting quaotes around my name -- AG Try clicking on the cell press F2 and enter then delete quotes if the are still ther -- scottymellot ----------------------------------------------------------------------- scottymelloty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=380 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31450 ...

Excel 2007 #11
I want to protect a sheet but still allow users to use the AutoSum feature on unlocked cells. Apparently this isn't possible? Doesn't make much sense, given that you can enter other formulas from the Function Library. ...

Scripting Excel with Python via appscript
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, <br> has anyone else here used Python as a scripting language? One of the (maybe unintended) consequences of MS making Applescript the only scripting possibility is that through AppScript (http://appscript.sourceforge.net/) one can also use Python (and Ruby and Cocoa/Objective C). <br> This allows for great new possibilities (just think of the many libraries available for Python), although I have three issues: <br> 1) being used to Excel's VBA api I still have to adapt to the AS dict...

Entering 18 digit number in Excel
Dear All, I am trying to enter a 18 digit number in one cell. Surprisingly, the lasst two digits are automatically being changed to 00. The number i tried to enter is - 857013340418093014. The last two digits i.e. 14 is automatically changed to 00! Could any one of you please help. Thanks & Regards, Jaipal Singal. <jaipal1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:50262a6f-d859-42c2-9171-494650141076@l28g2000prd.googlegroups.com... > Dear All, > > I am trying to enter a 18 digit number in one cell. Surprisingly, the > lasst two digits are automatically being changed to 00. &g...

Excel 2000 autosum not adding correctly
I use Excel 2000 and have been for some time. Today I placed dollar amounts in a column and then hit autosum. I was given a total of $5887.70. I then added the last numbers in my head and also a calculator and the total was $5887.71, off by 1 on the last digit. I tried numerous times getting the same results. All of the cells have been formatted for currency with 2 decimal points. Does anyone have an explanation? Sure. What are the ACTUAL values in the cells? If you've got values like 123.456, these are rounding up. Instead of using formatting to round the cells, round them ...

parameter queries and runtime
I just started reviewing a conversion project. The client has Access 2000 databases now running in access 2007 runtime. Any parameter queries with one parameter run fine. Any queries with multiple parameters return an empty recordset. The multiple parameters are prompts for dates thentext with wildcards. Is this an issue with the free downloaded runtime? It's probably a difference in the way Access is understanding the parameters. Post the SQL statement of the query that fails. (Switch to SQL View, copy'n'paste here.) Also, tell us the data type of the fields you are applyi...

excel vba
Basically, what will happen is they click the save/print commanbutton o the sheet, this brings up a userform asking them yes or no, what wil now happen is when they click on either yes or no commandbuttons, want a code to recognize if one of the four option buttons on the shee has been selected, if one has been selected it will run its course. I not, it will close the save/print userform and select cell "K5" fo example whereby they can choose an option button and move on. What would be the selection recognition code that i could store in m save/print userform? thank -- Message p...

Excel formula help #2
I am VERY new to spreadsheets! Is there a formula that will calculate the % change in my investments from one entry to the next? In other words, if January's value of a stock is $10, and February's value is $12, and March's value is $6, can I get a cell that will show a 20% increase for Feb, and change to (50%) loss when I enter March's value? I hope this is clear! Thanks for any help! Susan Hi Susan, Very clear! assuming Jan in A1, Feb in B1, Mar in C1, etc. enter this in B2 =(B1-A1)/A1 and format as a a percentage, then just copy across If you want to setup ...

SQL query
I am looking to minimize network traffic with SQL 2008 backend. I have 22,000 clients in a table and want to select a small filtered list (less than 50). My options are to: 1) execute a select query against a passthrough query that holds all records, 2) execute a direct SQL statement from vba code to a view in SQL 2008 3) write the entire statement on the Access side and execute from code (DoCmd.RunSQL) The reason for the view or passthrough is that there are a couple of tables joined and some formatting. Which options is fastest with least network traffic? This routine ser...

Auditing Select Queries , so that the full query is logged
Hi, I currently looking into auditing, we want to see who (and when) has viewed/updated patient information on our database. (I am using SQL Server 2008 and our application is developed in VS 2008). I have set up an audit , and a database audit to log any selects for our patient table. However instead of showing the full select statement i.e. select top 1 * from patient where patientnumber = 111111 it is showing select top 1 * from patient where patientnumber = @1 So i also enabled change tracking on the database, this was great if i entered the query in management s...

runner's log in excel??
Does anyone know of runner's logs that are set up in excel? ...

What is a DNS failure from a failed e-mail?
I sent an e-mail to a customer. It did not reach the recipient. I received a response that said a DNS failure occured. How do I fix it? you may need to be the admin to fix it... what exactly did it say - paste the exact error message here. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions ...

"Disk Full" Message from Excel 97
Two users with Win 98 SE systems running Excel 97 with current SR updates. They are part of a Windows 2003 domain. Occasionally, when they go to save spreadsheets to a network share they get a message saying "disk is full". The disk, in this case, is definitely NOT full. The problem only happens occasionally and it never happens with Word documents. Has ayone come across this problem before? Thanks. Hi John You receive the "Disk is Full" error message when you save a workbook in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214245 Error Messa...

Trouble using solver with Microsoft Excel 2007
I have made several attempts to get solver to work on Excel 2007. I keep getting an error stating I need a VBA converter. Anyone have suggestions. I tried updating to service pack 1 with no better success. I have tried reinstalling the program and have searched the knowledge base. ...

Unable to open Excel file #4
Error message: File cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding. The file was not saved as read-only and the file is on a diskette. Sounds like a bad disk. Copy the disk to the hard drive somewhere an try to open there. -- kkkni ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kkknie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=754 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26520 Vic Cop...

Oops sent to wrong forum: Excel Macros
Hi: I have a workbook with 14 worksheets. I need 14 macros I want the name of the macro to be the name of each worksheet. ex. FA2E, FA3E, FA4E, etc. the macro is the same except for referencing the worksheet name. I have the first macro and am copying/pasting 14 times, changing the worksheet name and macro name. However, it doesn't work properly. About the 5 copy/past excel seems to want to call the macro by the name of the workbook, dot, worksheet. What am I doing wrong. When I open up tools, macro, I want to see the 14 names as stated above. Because, I have a final macro th...

Excel Macro #2
Excel tip needed. I "recorded" a quick little macro for an Excel report and now I want to send this file out to customers. But everytime you open it, you are asked if you want to disable or enable the macros due to viruses. Is there a way to keep this macro, but not have customers get this message? Thanks! Hi Derek! No need to post to more than one group. This involves changing your customer's security settings. Post the details of the macro and it might be possible to achieve the same objectives without it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njha...

Counting in Excel #5
Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help -- Angel16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Angel160's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1550 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27561 glad to help -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Angel160" <Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Angel160.1f98km@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Got it! Thanks to all of you for your help. > > > -- > Angel160 > ---------------...

FAO Conrad Calberg (Excel Sales Forecasting...)
Hello, I just bought your new book. To my dismay I found out that the data files used in the book are NOT available, nor is your contact (both in book and publisher's website). I am not keen on using newsgroups so I do not know where to locate u; I suppose you use them since u mention them in your book. If you happen to see this, please reply as I am in very much need of the book's data files! If anyone who reads this can help, I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you Why don't you write to the publishers? -- HTH Bob Phillips <d.stephanou@gmail.com> wrote in message...

tableadapter Query linked to Access 2003 table
I'm trying to write a query for my Dataset's table adapter. It is linked to an access 2003 database. Basically, I'm trying to duplicate the following query. SELECT Parts_Inventory.Aisle, Parts_Inventory.Rack, Parts_Inventory.Shelf, Parts_Inventory.QNTY, Parts_Inventory.MFG_PN, Parts_Inventory.Manufacturer, Parts_Inventory.Description FROM Parts_Inventory WHERE (((Parts_Inventory.Manufacturer) Like "*" & [?] & "*")); I'm using a text box as my control to the manufacturer field. If it is blank, it will show all my parts. I'm able...