Excel default

I would like to change the default settings on opening Excel in a similar
way in which you can do with Word by changing normal.dot.  However, I cannot
find a comparable file.  I would appreciate it if someone could point the
way.

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

0
Bill
10/2/2004 10:29:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bill

Excel does not have a Normal.dot as Word has.

There are several ways to customize Excel workbooks and worksheets.

Open a new workbook.  Customize as you wish.  File>Save As Type:  scroll down
to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select.  Name your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes).
Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

 C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for File>New>Workbook.

You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.  Customize as
you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also.  It now becomes
the default Insert>Sheet.

More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).

If you have some specific settings you would like addressed, post back with
particulars.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:29:49 GMT, "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk>
wrote:

>I would like to change the default settings on opening Excel in a similar
>way in which you can do with Word by changing normal.dot.  However, I cannot
>find a comparable file.  I would appreciate it if someone could point the
>way.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bill Ridgeway

0
Gord
10/2/2004 10:35:40 PM
Maybe this is another subject, but is it also possible to change Excel's
PROGRAM-defaults? More specifically: can the print-option "collate" be
unchecked by default?
Thanks in advance.

Fred.

> Bill
>
> Excel does not have a Normal.dot as Word has.
>
> There are several ways to customize Excel workbooks and worksheets.
>
> Open a new workbook.  Customize as you wish.  File>Save As Type:  scroll
> down
> to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select.  Name your workbook "BOOK"(no
> quotes).
> Excel will add the .XLT to save as BOOK.XLT.
>
> Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
> This will be the default workbook for File>New>Workbook.
>
> You can also open a new workbook and delete all but one sheet.  Customize
> as
> you wish then save this as SHEET.XLT in XLSTART folder also.  It now
> becomes
> the default Insert>Sheet.
>
> More can be found on this in Help under "templates"(no quotes).
>
> If you have some specific settings you would like addressed, post back
> with
> particulars.
>
> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:29:49 GMT, "Bill Ridgeway"
> <info@1001solutions.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I would like to change the default settings on opening Excel in a similar
>>way in which you can do with Word by changing normal.dot.  However, I
>>cannot
>>find a comparable file.  I would appreciate it if someone could point the
>>way.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Bill Ridgeway

0
fredco (3)

Excel 2007
Hi to all, I'm truly a beginner with pushing excel a bit, but what I'm trying to achieve seems logical and simple enough in my mind. I've got a simple daily sales sheet that is edited at each salepoint. I've got a drop-down list of vendors in Column A sorted in a Data Validation list so that much is straight forward, another few columns of details and {price totals} at the end, such as: Company X | Details | QTY | PriceEa | PriceTotal | I'm trying to automate a result that if the Company equals {Company1} then the total in that rows {pricetotal} gets added to a particul...

XML and PivotTables on Excel 2003
Hi, I've got an enormous XML file I'm attempting analyze through pivot tables. For small versions of the file, I can load the whole thing into the worksheet, and construct a Pivot table from the list. But I have a file that is large enough to go far beyond the worksheet size limitations in Excel (64K rows). I've tried loading my XML into Access, but that doesn't seem to give me anything meaningful. (It seems to remove the hierarchy from the XML). I'd like an "XML Datasource" option to Pivot table, but that doesn't seem to be available. Can anyone gi...

Execute C++ from Excel
HI all, can anyone tell me how to execute a simple C++ code from an excel spreadsheet? For example take a C++ program that adds two integers, how does one execute it from an excel spreadsheet? Thanks in advance -- serine ------------------------------------------------------------------------ serine's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27884 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473888 ...

Default font in Outlook replies
Greetings. I am using Microsoft Outlook. I have the default set to the blue screen and white letters, and I have, I thought, it set to HTML, however, when I hi 'Reply', I get the blue screen, but black letters, as if it is picking up the font color of the letter I am reply to. Aslo, I seen in the little box near the top that it says that I am reply in 'Plain Text' when I want to reply with html. I have spent a long time tryint to correct this but, ugh...no avail. Please advise. On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:22:01 -0700, Celticson <Celticson@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Excel 2007
On Windows XP SP2 using Excel 2007 I am unable to print from the Open file dialogue. Here is what I am doing: Clicking Open from the Office button Navigating to the file I would to Print Highlighting the document Selecting Print from the Tools menu in the lower left hand corner of the dialogue box The error message I receive states: Cannot print file. It then gives a series of possible reasons, none of which apply because I can print the document if I open it first and then print it normally. Also, I can use the above sequence to print the document if the document is already open. This ser...

HOW DO i ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOL (NOT NAMES) IN EXCEL
HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOLS Please don't type in ALL CAPS. It is considered to be "shouting" and rude. Example??? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "GERRIREN" <GERRIREN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70D108A6-2909-49C9-9F92-E110FC900A6B@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOLS Select all of the cells involved in all columns and rows, then use Data Sort and it will lead you through the process. "GERRIREN" wrote: > HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHO...

Excel #26
I started a new job, and am having to build a call list for potential clients. When I find these companies on certain websites or what not, they are listed on a page from top to bottom, sometimes in the many hundreds of companies in one column.. Here is a link , to a sample of what I am working with . http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhkqFcg9vgGhdGhWSnQ2a01mRzlJVU1vVl9fOHZZYUE&hl=en But Imagine Column A cell values go to A4032, Which is how much information I have to enter. : SO I have list with over thousand company?s names and contact info, But, I am getting company in...

How do I change the default font in an EXISTING Excel workbook?
I know how to change it normally, but it seemed to switch on me from one day to the next in one particular workbook. I can't get it back. Any suggestions? Blue Format>Style>Normal>Modify. This is a workbook property so may be different from your default style in other workbooks. Change the Font to what you would like. NOTE: this also affects the Column and Row headers. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:51:06 -0800, "Blueski" <Blueski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know how to change it normally, but it seemed to switch on me from one...

Calender and organizer tips for excel
Hi, I need to make a sheet that contains a list of my team members and the days they want to take a day off. My team consists of nine people and there should always be 6 people present. Everyone has a certain amount of days they can plan as a day off. We work in a shiftsystem that changes according a certain schedule. I want this sheet to show me when there are more than 3 people that want to take a day of. Decrease the amount of days left they can plan. Even count the days they are ill. And much more. I don't need you to make this sheet, but I'm looking for calendertools with wich...

auto generate emails from data stored in excel spreadsheet
Hi, Is there a way in excel to automatically generate an email which is stored in a worksheet either using excel macros or in conjuction with outlook. thanks in advance. Mark K Look here http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm Maybe this one http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#message -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "MarkK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:169b901c447f2$268f26b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is there a way in excel to automatically generate an > email which is stored in a worksheet either us...

excel not updating text boxes
i have several charts with textboxes lind to specific cells within my workbook. inside these cells are formulas that calculate values that I am trying to display on my charts in the text boxes. My calculations are set to automatic, but these text boxes are not updating unless i click in the formula bar for each of them and hit "enter." since i have several charts i don't want to be doing this hundreds of times a day. I have a total lack of confidence that my chart text boxes are displaying the correct values. is there some way to force them to update, maybe wit...

excel minimized?
I am trying to find an answer to an issue with one of my teachers and I have no idea how to help. When she gets an excel attachment in email (AOL) sometimes it opens maximized and other times it minimizes to the task bar. XP OS. Any help appreciated, thanks in advance. -- Thanks,, Kim Hello When a file is saved in Excel on one computer, information on the size of the window and cell location is saved with it also. When the file is reopend it will return to the window size it was last saved under. My guess is that when a file is sent to another computer, there could be different s...

Extract and count unique entries in a list (Excel 2003)
I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in column A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to count how many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it doesn't quite do what I want. Any help would be gratefully received. Gavin Hi if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter - Advanced Filter' and check 'Unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag n...

How do I read text file in an EXCEL SHEET
Hello, With regards to EXCEL how we read the text file in EXCEL sheet using MACRO. The file is located in d:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt. I want to save the EXCEL sheet, and every time when I open this sheet it reads this text file and displays the contents of this text file in Excel Sheet. I want to use MACRO for reading this text file.How I do that? Thanks Amit fileName = "D:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt" Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName OR Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow _ :=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array( _ Array(0,...

"No Default Printer Installed"
I have recently migrated from Windows XP to Vista 64 Ultimate. Money Plus Home & Business Installed and runs fine, but I am not able to print anything. When I try to go to print setup even I get the message: "No default printer is installed. To install a printer, you need to switch to the Microsoft Windows Control Panel..." I have a printer installed and it works fine from other programs and is set as the default printer. In fact, I have several printers installed, included the Acrobat printer where I normally print my invoices to PDF, but nothing appears to register....

how do i transfer existing excel macros to a new computer?
I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc. Likely, they are stored in your personal.xls file. You can search for it and copy it to the new PC. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "rwr2333" <rwr2333@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3F95693C-8048-4B1A-9115-8733F0ECE9C4@microsoft.com... > I have Excel 2000 with some macros. I'm getting a new computer and don't > know how to get the macros transferred to the new pc. Macros live in wor...

Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not work. Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel session at that point. I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck. Try: Tools > Options > View and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked. HTH hey DNA, Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work. basically when I turn it off and apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and reopend, it no longer works. Anybody? &...

Exporting Access into Excel workbook
Is there a way to export an access report into excel workbook where data is broken out onto multiple spreadsheets? Please help. Thank you!! In the absence of another reply ..... I think not. In my opinion you would be better off exporting sets of data from th *original Access table* to Excel - or using Data/Get External Data i Excel. I am currently experimenting with a similar job where it is necessar to have an Access table containing worksheet names linked to the mai table to enable this. I am setting up an Excel macro to import t worksheets. It may be quicker to use an Access Make T...

Cannot copy table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 w invisible grid li
How do I copy a table from Excel 2007 to Word 2007 with invisible grid lines? In previous version of Word, it was possible to do so by clicking on "insert special" and choose one of the categories (I have forgotten which). With Word 2007, the grid lines become visible no matter which option I choose under "insert special". Is it possible for you to help me? Thanks! To hide the gridlines, click the View Gridlines button (to deselect the option) on the Table Tools Layout tab. This setting will be preserved between Word sessions. If you are in fact referr...

Moving a line chart data point revises data table value in Excel '
I recall a capability I used with Excel years ago that enabled me to create a line chart from a data table, then move the plot points on the chart to "smooth" the line, and the source data chart value would change with the corresponding new plotted point. I'd like to use that capability with Excel 2007 but can't find to activate it. Any power users know how? Thanks! Ed Ed, Microsoft decided that users didn't need that feature. More than likely, they were tired of support calls asking why the values changed when one dragged a data point...... No really, they took i...

Why do cells in Excel print shorter than displayed on-screen?
When I type a lot of data in a given cell (textwrapping is on), the entire contents of the cell display correctly. But when I print the worksheet, the cell height appears shorter -- truncating my text. What's up with that? And how do I fix it without adjusting every cell manually (which screws up my display)? ...

Calculating age from two date fields-Excel 2003
I'm not sure what section this question should go in. I need to find if a person was 40 years of age or older (= or >) at his Date of Hire. I have two columns, Birth Date and Date of Hire. How would I write a formula to give me this answer? Thanks in advance Try this: A1 = DOB B1 = DOH =DATEDIF(A1,B1,"y")>=40 That will return either TRUE or FALSE -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Veteran of the Software Cycles" <VeteranoftheSoftwareCycles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97B155B5-68F0-49EB-910C-549B84737765@microsoft.com... > I...

Advanced filter poor performance in Excel 2003
I have an advanced filter executed in VBA that worked great until upgrading to Excel 2003. When I put in criteria the first time, the filtering works fine, but when the criteria row is blanked out so that all rows are unhidden, it takes forever for that to happen. I suspect that every formula on the sheet is being recalculated. Is there a technical explanation for why this problem happens now? Is there a way to work around this without setting the sheet calculation option to manual? I've seen slow downs when filtering, but usually showing all the rows is quicker--well at...

excel 2002
Hi folks, Have a bit of a problem. My company has a daily report using excel where we copy/paste info from an external source into it. when we were using 97, the growth of the file was fine(would go from a 1meg file to a 1.5meg file most times), but now that we're using the 2002 version, the files sizes are getting pretty silly(again from a 1meg file up to a 3-3.5 meg file.) After some testing, it is because of the four worksheets we paste into. We paste into it, run a macro to move that info into the places we want it, then clear the page....yet those pages are retaining the inf...

Keep count of rows in Excel
I am trying to print row count on my output regardless of the size of the worksheet or the number of rows. Any ideas? Experiment with this; it may offer a solution. You can go into the print setup and have it print the value of this cell in the header or footer or whatever. =COUNTA(A5:A8) Counts the number of nonblank cells in the last 4 rows of the list (4) >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to print row count on my output regardless of >the size of the worksheet or the number of rows. Any >ideas? >. > ...