excel database 25,000 plus names

I am working with a database i set up in excel.
It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb.
If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i
work faster.
Right now it takes forever to open and save.
I am told it is not my computer.
any tips???

--
mikedipaol
mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If this is just a datastore, then yes, it is better in Access and whilst you
do that you may be better to normalise it too. (Put any duplicate data into
other tables), for example if you have in your 25,000 names 5,000 unique,
but you also have in each record an order for that customer, the name and
order data should be in two tables (at least), keyed by Customer# or some
other unique key

(Off to take anti Aaron Kempf pill ;-), (slightly private joke, not at
poster))

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"mikedipaola" <mikedipaola.29tcib_1150995901.4009@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> I am working with a database i set up in excel.
> It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb.
> If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will it
> work faster.
> Right now it takes forever to open and save.
> I am told it is not my computer.
> any tips????
>

> --
> mikedipaola
> mikedipaola's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35680
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=554659

I can't imagine an Excel file even opening at 274Mb.
I would guess that 25000 rows, even with several columns shouldn't
be over 5mb. I've had a multiple column 65000 row database that
took up 7Mb and only took about 2 seconds to open.
I've taken two anti-Aaron pills so...
Access is probably the way to go, but Excel, at a decent file size, should
perform adequately.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message

I am working with a database i set up in excel.
It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb.
If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will it
work faster.
Right now it takes forever to open and save.
I am told it is not my computer.
any tips????
--
mikedipaola

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
6/22/2006 7:44:55 PM
for the record; I have worked with clients with spreadsheets that are
hitting the 2gb limit.

Any use of Excel is absolutely unacceptable.

Spit on all spreadsheet developers.  Tell them to lose the training
wheels and learn a real program.  Like crystal reports or Microsoft
Access or SQL Server Reporting Services; for example.

modern companies don't need to have 2/3rds of their workforce sit
around and type shit into Excel all day long.

It's unnecessary; it's inefficient.

And it's got to stop!

mikedipaola wrote:
> I am working with a database i set up in excel.
> It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb.
> If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will it
> work faster.
> Right now it takes forever to open and save.
> I am told it is not my computer.
> any tips????
>

> --
> mikedipaola
> mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35680
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=554659

0
dbahooker (137)
7/22/2006 1:03:18 PM
It is clear from your post you have a problem with Excel, but never
point out any specific problems, let alone offer any solutions to these
generic obscurities. Besides, what is the point of complaining to a
group of people who like Excel? Won't your words fall on deaf ears of
Excel devotees? There are no perfect programs or operating systems.
They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Learn to accept things as
they are and you will begin to enjoy life more. Don't sweat the small
stuff.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18465

Leith Ross wrote:
> There are no perfect programs or operating systems.
> They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Wwwhhhaaaaattt????!!!!!!  Have you not been reading what Aaron spews?
Read it again and you will know that a database (any one associated
with Microsoft) is the perfect program for all your computing needs.

And don't fool yourself.  Aaron is a total a$$clown in the database
newsgroups, too, not just in the Excel ones.

I wonder if he ever made any progress on his "Google killer"
application.  Prepare to be wowed when it comes out (as in, "Wow, look
at this piece of junk!")

0
jpetrulis1 (46)
7/25/2006 9:13:17 PM
Hey, if you think Aaron (or, dbaHooker) is a moron on this forum, check
some other forums where the little clown has posted..... get onto
Google and do a search on the guy's name.  He obviously is not working
after being canned from Microsoft.... otherwise he wouldn't be able to
flame so many forums like he does.

The guy is a real a$$hole..... I can only imagine his resume.

--
greaseman
greaseman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28808

eat shit Excel dorks and stop using Excel as a DATABASE.

RIGHT-CLICK SORT... oh you kids can't do that??

greaseman wrote:
> Hey, if you think Aaron (or, dbaHooker) is a moron on this forum, check
> some other forums where the little clown has posted..... get onto
> Google and do a search on the guy's name.  He obviously is not working
> after being canned from Microsoft.... otherwise he wouldn't be able to
> flame so many forums like he does.
>
> The guy is a real a$$hole..... I can only imagine his resume.
>

> --
> greaseman
> greaseman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28808
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563974

0
aaron.kempf (776)
8/9/2006 12:06:02 AM
greaseman

im not an asshole i speak the truth.

it's a shame that there aren't more real-world developers out there
that care enough to save 100 million spreadsheet dorks.

greaseman wrote:
> Hey, if you think Aaron (or, dbaHooker) is a moron on this forum, check
> some other forums where the little clown has posted..... get onto
> Google and do a search on the guy's name.  He obviously is not working
> after being canned from Microsoft.... otherwise he wouldn't be able to
> flame so many forums like he does.
>
> The guy is a real a$$hole..... I can only imagine his resume.
>

> --
> greaseman
> greaseman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28808
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563974

0
dbahooker (137)

need info on excel
Hi. This is my first time posting to this NG. I visited my accountant today and he recomended me to get Microsoft Excel so that I can stay more organized and present my tax figures easier. I dont know a thing about excel. I have been doing things the old fashion way. I use COrel Word perfect to do documents and make my own graphs and log info to that. But thats it. I went to the web site and I beleive Excel 2003 costs about $200. to upgrade is $109 or so. Is there a cheaper way to get this program or an alternative. Please, is there anyone who can also tell me why excel is go good,what it can ...

Scan documents directly to excel
I am looking for a good OCR program that will allow we to scan thousands of pages of phone bills diretly to MS Excel. If anyone has any idea what I could use, I would appreciate it. http://www.textbridge.com Hope you have a scanner with a sheet feeder. Actually, faxing into the computer may work once you have OCR. HP makes printer/fax/copier/scanners with OCR software as part of the package. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "Debbie" <DLLower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:02b201c347d3$1e2c5800$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I am looking for a good OCR program that...

New Organization Name
Hi, We are currently running Exchange 2000 in Win2k Active directory. Our company name just changed and i was wondering if anyone could help me with the best way to update my network to reflect the change. Should I just change the organization name in Exchange or would i have to run some tool to have it done properly? Currently my organization uses the format: organization.com. The new name will be organization2.com. Another caveat is that i want to be able to somehow have the olde email point to the new address is this possible without building a new server from scratch with a new do...

Excel 97 to Excel XP (default margins)
I have excel files created in Excel 97. When I open this files wit Excel XP, the margins are not the sames. In Excel 97 are 0,0,0,0. In Excel Xp are 2.5,2,2.5,2 Can you help me? Thanks in advance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com I just did a quick test and margins set at zero in Excel 97 stayed at zero in Excel 2002. Puzzled. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Could be a different printer driver from when the file was created in 97 vs now in XP? Or even a differ...

Excel formatting #3
Could someone please help with a macro or any other suggestion to format an Excel sheet. Basically data is downloaded from a bank every week and the size of the file can vary but the formatting is constant. That is each record is 7 lines. So first record is line1-7, second record is line 8-14, third record is line 15-21 and so on. I need to format this data and basically I can record a macro for one data set that is for the record on line 1 to 7. My question is how can I set it to replicate so that it replicates for line 8-14 and then 15-21 and so on. The source formatting remains the same...

Moving Database Paths on a cluster (5.5) KB278464
Config: - Win2k Cluster (SP4) - NT4 domain - Exchange 5.5 (SP4) Requirement: - Need to move the PRIV and PUB IS to a new drive. The KB article KB278464 outlines the correct proceedure, but lists Exchange 5.5 and OS NT4 in the "Applies to" section at the end of the article. My question is, will this proceedure also work properly on the Win2k OS? -- Tim. I believe it should work... "Tim Munro" <Plasmamage@ColdMail.com> wrote in message news:ODC2QsvfEHA.3024@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Config: > - Win2k Cluster (SP4) > - NT...

clash between different versions of excel?
Hi all. I created an excel document using excel2003 and save it in a file server. As it is a shared file, it was opened by another user using excel97 for editing. However after the file was saved by the user of excel97, the layout of the content in the file became very different compared to the 1 that was saved by myself when i was using excel2003. As the user of excel97 merely change the data without editing any layout, why did this happened? Is it due to the different versions of excel being used? How can i solve this? Thks in advance. ...

create chart /table excel-save, close & reopen colors change? Why
When I create a chart/table in Excel - save, close & reopen to use again, the colors have changed for my formating. How do I set the formating so that the colors stay the same - I have tried styles with no luck. The colors need to be the company approved. Thank you, Anne, I am unable to reproduce yr problem. Excel should NOT override yr manual settings. However,you can set yr company colours as default under Tools/Options/[Color tab]. Here are the colours Excel uses by default for the workbook. (Under that thin line you see the defaults for fill and line colours.) Hope this...

coalesce excel data
I developed a data logger for a computer simulation that people interact with. The logged data is stored in a tab deliminated text format. That data can be imported into Excel. I bring in different subjects and have them test the simulation while I log their usage of the simulation. I would like to be able to coalesce the logged data of all the different subjects data into meaningful statistics about the simulation. I can log the data by time or by room the person is in the simulation. The data logged per time slice or per room is health, amount of object 1, amount of object 2, etc. So it woul...

Camera Tool in Excel
Hi, Please advise when using the camera tool in excel why would the linked picture not change when the data in the original range changes I am trying to create a dashbord, using the camera tool Kind regards Renier van Staden In 2003 I cannot replicate your problem. Which version of Excel and what are the steps you take to create a dashboard? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 07:37:01 -0700, Renier van Staden <Renier van Staden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, Please advise when using the camera tool in excel why would the linked >picture not change when...

Maximum Named Ranges in excel
Hello all, I am using the Named ranges in excel to store metadata about each cell in excel that can persist with the excel file. So 1 cell = 1 Named Range.Advantage of using this approach is excel automatically updates the name references, even if we cut-and paste cells. As per this link(http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx ), the amount of named ranges is limited only by the amount of available memory. I wrote a small macro that adds names to each cell in excel, considering an average data of 10000 rows into 10 columns. Like this: <short version...

Ctrl-H crashing Excel 2002 fixed by Office XP SP3.
In thread "Ctrl-H crashes Excel 2002", a couple of dozen threads before this one, I reported that, in Excel 2002 without Service Packs applied: After you do a search by Values (as opposed to Formulas), henceforth Ctrl-H crashes Excel. (You could prevent that by reassigning Ctrl-H to a macro.) Thanks to Mike Mendelson & Dave Peterson, I found that Office XP SP3 fixes the problem. (I don't know which SP fixed the bug--1, 2, or 3.) Now, Ctrl-H brings up the Search dialog without crashing. *** ...

What Excel macro puts data in the NEXT row of a sheet?
I have a list of data in col B of sheet 2 which I need to copy and transpose into sheet 1, then delete the data in sheet 2 to use the form again to copy and transpose onto the next line in sheet 1. I have tried with a macro shortcut I've called ctrl + e. (I am really using the data form process but cannot because I have too many inputs). Is there a simple macro I can copy and paste? ...

Computer Password Displays as Company Name on Startup Screen of Office Programs
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I start up an office program (doesn't matter which one), the password that is set up for the computer account displays as the company name under the "This Product Licensed to:" line. I went into the Preferences of Word to delete the company name (which was the password) but it still displays. I also reinstalled Office to see if it would give me a chance to input the data, but it didn't...and the password still displays on start up. Does anyone know how I can change this so the log-on password is no...

my switchboard prevents me making changes to the database
the database opens with a switchboard screen and doesn't provide access to all the database tools so I can make changes, open tables, etc. In Access 2000 and 2002 you would hold down the control or shift key when you opened the database and it turned off the switchboard control features to open normally. I'm using Office 2003. Is there a similar key to press and hold when you open a database to turn the switchboard feature off? Thanks! Holding down the shift key works exactly the same in Access 2003 as in previous versions. If it's not working for you, perhaps someone set ...

Excel 09-06-07
Need some help please............. Senario....... in Column B you have a company names (different ones), then is say coulmn E you have some figures like say number of kgs. Is it possible to add all the figures from column E for each different company... Column B Colum E Smiths 123kgs Jones 200kgs fred 75kgs Smiths 450kgs so you get say a months total of the kgs each company has done. Use &qu...

cannot see my names of fonts in publisher
Im hoping someone out there can help me. All of a sudden I can't see my font names in the drop down box. I right click the move bar and click customize to ensure that box stating "list fonts in font box" is clicked. What is my problem? Help?? You need to apply the service pack(s). http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://dgl.microsoft.com/ http://mvps.org/msauer/ "Shannon Thompson" <sthompson76@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:00c901c36805$4ae98910$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Im hoping someone out there can help me...

Font property in Excel VBA causes 100 % CPU loop
I am using Excel 2002 SP-2 on a Windows XP machine running a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor with 1 Gb RAM. When building a VBA userform, whenever I click on the properties box to change the font size for e.g. a label or textbox caption, Excel starts another process (i.e. I see another Excel process on the Windows task bar) and consumes close to 100 % of my CPU. The first couple of times I tried this, Excel eventually brought up the font properties window (after more than a minute). The third time I tried this, I had to crash Excel via Windows Task Manager. At the time of trying to change the ...

Excel Sheets
Is the number of sheets one is able to add to an Excel 2003 document limited? User wants to create a document with upwards of 400 sheets. Each sheet would have about 10 rows, each row would have at least 1 calculation. Is this feasible under Excel 2003? TIA DDS Hi Danny: The maximum number of sheets in a workbook is limited by available memory. By default the number of sheets in a new workbook is 3 but this may be altered by using: Tools > Options > General Change to a maximum of 255 However, there is nothing to stop you adding more sheets. Generally, you'll find things ge...

ActiveX controls cause Excel to Shutdown
Last night I was doing some simple coding in VBA. The code applied to two command buttons: one would copy and paste a line along with adding a few check boxes, the other would delete said line and boxes. I saved one of my first stabs at the code, and when I went to add another command button Excel would shut itself down and auto recover my previous work. I had been seeing the error "object library invalid or contains references to object definitions" before this began happening. I have Microsoft Office 2003 and have tried re-installing it, to no avail. Every time I use the Activ...

Excel Conditional Formula Problem #2
undefined::undefined::undefined My e-mail address is retrofit03@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help -- wilson3141 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wilson31416's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1628 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27686 ...

Account Name auto-fill in
Hello, Is it possible to take information from 2 fields from the new account page and automatically fill in the 'Account Name' field on that same page? Thanks! Hi, Yes you can using JScript. Following is the code you may use to access a value of a field crmForm.all.SOME_STRING_FIELD_ID.DataValue; -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "crysztl" wrote: > Hello, > Is it possible to take information from 2 fields from the new account > page and automat...

Excel Formula for Column
Hello, I am new to excel and i have three columns (A,B,C,ect) of info and about 5000 rows (1,2,3,ect). Not sure if those are the correct names. I am trying to figure out how i can get every number in the B column to be multiplied by 7.25. All I have found on the net so far is how to multiply it by another cell, but thats not what I need. Can someone please help me or I am looking at alot of extra hours. Thanks in advance. Type 7.25 in an unused cell. Highlight the cell, select Edit, Copy, the select all cells in column B you want multiplied, then select Edit, Paste Special, Multipl...

export from excel to word #2
looking for possibilityfor export single cell from excel spredsheet to the Word Can anybody help -- Marek With both the spreadsheet and Word document open, click on the cell you wish to export and: Edit > Copy Then click in the appropriate place in the Word Document and: CNTRL-v Note that if you want the destination to "look like" a cell, then create a 1 x 1 table in the Word doc and paste there. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200812 "lermar" wrote: > looking for possibilityfor export single cell from excel spredsheet to the Word > Can anybody help &g...

Excel coordinates
I would love to know how to get Excel to read the coordinates at a point on a graph, BETWEEN the data points. Thanks muchly Jeff Excel's chart smoother appears to use Bezier curves. Brian Murphy has posted code for Bezier curves, but the link he gave http://www.xlrotor.com/excel_stuff.htm appears to be obsolete. I In most cases, the difference between Bezier curves and cubic splines is minimal. An example where the difference is noticeable is http://www.google.com/groups?threadm=3E7291CA.7020907%40no_e-mail.com David Braden has posted code for cubic splines, but Google change...