Excel creating 'backup' version of my sheet...

Hi,

a user noticed that one of his sheets is creating backup-copies by itself...

- He deletes the backup version
- opens the original sheet
- change something
- saves the original sheet
- closes the original sheet
tadaaaaa.... now a new file with 'name backup.xls' is created...

He told me that he noticed this behaviour when he was 'protecting' his sheet
by a password.  Now we moved to Office2007 and he wants to get rid of this
behaviour.

Any suggestions?
(btw, no add-ins are installed!)

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

FOUND,

Seems there is an extra checkbox, hidden in the tools options in 'Save-as'
dialogbox...

"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> a user noticed that one of his sheets is creating backup-copies by
> itself...
>
> - He deletes the backup version
> - opens the original sheet
> - change something
> - saves the original sheet
> - closes the original sheet
> tadaaaaa.... now a new file with 'name backup.xls' is created...
>
> He told me that he noticed this behaviour when he was 'protecting' his
> sheet by a password.  Now we moved to Office2007 and he wants to get rid
> of this behaviour.
>
> Any suggestions?
> (btw, no add-ins are installed!)

Creating array of specific object types dynamically
Hi, little gotcha. Some COM objects requires array of specific type. To give you example, following DOESN'T work: [array]$X = @() However below code works: [int32[]]$X = @() For my framework, array type can be dynamic and I don't know in advance what type it's going to be. So what I would need is below: [$PropertyType[]]$X = @() This doesn't work with error message "Unable to find type". As a workaround, I solved it using following: Invoke-Expression "[$$PropertyType[]]`$Var = @()" This code works as expected, I am just curious if ...

Excel Maximized Larger than Screen?
I was on a PC yesterday where Excel Maximized was larger than the PC Screen ... very annoying ... What is the setup required to set Excel Maximized to PC Screen Size ... As always ... My many Thanks to those of you that support this board ... Kha ... Do you mean excel or a workbook within excel? If you meant excel, then I'm gonna guess (and it's just a guess) that either windows got confused (or you changed the display properties for your windows setting 1024x768 type of thing). I'd resize it and see if that fixed the problem. If it did, I'd chalk it up to one time thin...

How to export policies to excel
Hello All, Our organization has an in-house security tool that generates a text file with lists of policies and violations. A VB script reads that text file and populates certain cells on an excel file. There is one column for each db and one row for each policy. All are SQL 2000 and 2005 version. New policies are not covered by the tool. So it needs to be tool+manual scrips, or PBM, maybe? I wonder if it can be done through Policy Based Management. I am not sure how easy to generate a similar excel file out of SQL Server policies. Has anyone used Powershell and/or Report...

how do i change tick marks of excel graph from vb.net
I'm trying to change using VB.NET the tick marks from their default outside position and place them inside the graph. How can this be done? ...

automaticly create graph
what i would like to do is create a spread sheet where by i entered the fixed and variable costs as well as the selling price. i would then like a graph to automaicly change and display the this info. Does anyone know how to do this. Decide which cells on the spreadsheet you wish to include in the chart. Select those cells. Follow the menu option: Insert/ Chart, and answer the questions in the wizard. Have you looked in Excel help at the topics concerned with charts, starting with "Create a chart"? Have you looked at the training material under http://office.microsoft.com/...

Create static text from cell reference

Excel sheet not visible
When I open a local copy all I can see is the content of 1 cell in the menu bar, the work area is all blank gray. I can see the complete sheet (3 Pages) in print preview. Most users have no problem with this sheet. I have repaired the installation of Office 2000 and ran all updates, Same problem. It is something on the local PC that is causing this effect. Other sheets show up just fine. This is a very simple spred sheet with no formulas. Maybe it's just off the screen. Window|Arrange|Tiled (and then resize it the way you want) New group user 944 wrote: > > When I open a l...

Slow backup of Hyper-V R2 cluster
We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation "Emptyone" wrote: > We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite > fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time. > It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with j...

Creating a Graph
hi all, i want to create a grapg dynamically getting the values from a file.. take for example the first row is the x axis and the second row is the y axis. i am planning to do this in mfc. what needs to be done for this.. if somebody has an example relating this please send me the link or the code.. thanks Read the data. Plot it. First, you have to read the data. You read the data and build an array of <x,y> pairs in whatever way you want to save them, e.g., int, float, double. This is pretty elementary programming. To do a graph in a very fancy way, you should use an existing gra...

Trouble doing a formula for excel
Hi All I have a spreadsheet with the following A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so I have try mid,right,left i can't seem to do it Cheers "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53AAB904-8595-499F-BF38-8BE00826101C@microsoft.com... > Hi All > > I have a spreadsheet with the following > A1: z:\data/pc32/tsheets\unsorder00039.csv > > I would like to add 1 too the number to make unsorder00040.csv and so > I have try mid,right,left i can't see...

EXCEL caused an IPF in module OLEAUT32.DLL
I'm using Microsoft Office 2000 Professional on Win98-SE, I suddenly began getting the error message: EXCEL caused an invalid page fault in module OLEAUT32.DLL at 0187:653aac21. Registers: EAX=000047e9 CS=0187 EIP=653aac21 EFLGS=00010282 EBX=0040fd9c SS=018f ESP=0062b54c EBP=0062b5bc ECX=65350218 DS=018f ESI=00000000 FS=0f57 EDX=00000000 ES=018f EDI=00000001 GS=0000 I tried re-installing EXCEL but that didn't work. I changed the Oleaut32.dll with an older version and that also didn't work. I ran Office Setup and chose to run EXCEL from the CD and it went smooth without problems. ...

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Customizing Excel's Border Defaults
I'm working with Excel 2000 and use Borders frequently. The preset default border is a thin line, yet I prefer and always change it to the thick line. How can I change the Excel default to the thick line rather than the thin line? I know it's a small problem, but it's driving me crazy changing it all the time. In WORD, I know how to easily "add style default to template", but can't figure it out in Excel. Any help is greatly appreciated! ...

conditional formatting in excel #3