Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added

Hi,

One of our users sent me an Excel file of 6 MiB.
It has 7 worksheets. Most of them have <100 rows and AH columns, one
sheet has 13160 rows and AH columns.
The large sheet has autofilter enabled, but no actual filtering is
done. (yet)
4 columns have validation: they allow a list of values specified in a
range somewhere else in the sheet.
There is also conditional formatting.
It takes >30 seconds to calculate the sheet, however there are no real
calculations, just a few concatenated string.
My first impression is that this is yet another example of Excel
(ab)used as a database.

The problem:
When the user tries to save (or save as), he gets the following
message:

Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added to
<filename>.
* To return to your workbook without saving click Cancel.
* If you want to continue saving changes without repairing the
problem, click OK.
[OK] [Cancel] [Help]

Help gives a blank help page.

It appears the last added (or copypasted) rows in the sheet have lost
their validation. I can add validation again by copy - pastespecial -
validation, but Excel won't save that change.

I have found a KB with the same error message:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/215783
This talks about more than 2050 rows of conditional formatting. It is
possible that there are more than 2050 rows with conditional
formatting, but this does not explain why the data validation is not
saved.

I found another KB:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;213904
It talks about more than 4000 different combinations of formatting.
I'm not sure, but I don't think there are more than 4000 different
combinations. Anyway, data validation is not the same as formatting,
so I don't see this as relevant either.

I have removed all conditional formatting from the sheet, and I have
set most of the formatting (font, border, background,...) to the
default values. I still get the error.

What is going on and how can I solve this?

--
Amedee

-1
8/1/2007 12:33:43 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On 1 aug, 14:33, Amedee Van Gasse <Amedee.VanGa...@gmail.com> wrote:

I forgot: Excel 2003. :-)

I think I found it.
I got a clue from this post:
http://groups.google.be/group/microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions/browse_thread/thread/f860712f2e7e935e/a8d50703f0a298f7

I copied a cell in row 2, and pasted data validation in that column
for rows 2 -> 13k-something. That makes it one continuous range with
validation. I repeated for 3 other columns with validation, who happen
to be next to each other.
After that I was able to save without any error.

I would like to say thank you to Debra Dalgleish.

--
Amedee

Cannot save my form
Hi.Can you please help me with my problem.I create my database last week.At first,the database worked smoothly.But,when I when I reopen my database,my last forms was dissapeared.Can you help me to solve my problem?Any post will help.Thank you. When you open the database do you see the database window? If not press the F11 key. Next go to Forms on the objects bar. Do you see vertical or horizontal scroll bars? If so the new forms might just be a little off screen and using the scroll bars should find them. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bont...

MS Money 95 data files

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Help for time saving!
Hi I have got created an Excel Script that creates a Word Document. A bill. But for only 8 bill entries the script needs to much time. For this entries it works about 30 secounds. If you want to help me look at this page: www.kluesener.info/excel.html And if you find anything that saves time please tell me how I can do it better. Sorry for my bad english Many Thanks Jens ...

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

data input in text box

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Sorting Data #5

Adding Industry Codes
I am picking up the pieces on a previous installation of CRM, and want to add additional industries to my industry dropdown in the Lead form. For the life of me, I can't find the proper table in the database. Can someone be good enough to point me in the right direction? Thanks, Chris Chris, You don't do this via a table, you need to do it via form customization. You will need system admin rights, then go into System Customization and modify the Lead form. After making the changes, you will need to publish the change via Deployment Manager and issue an IISRESET. Matt "Chris...

adding name /creating field/query?

help with simple maths in excel

formula based on format

"Save" preferences getting lost