excel closes when trying to open certain files

Excel 2003 will close when trying to open a specific file.  When Excel is
reopened the file is in the recovery box.  When I open the file from the
recovery box it gives a message that the file is too corrupt to repair and
most of my data is gone along with any formatting.  This is the only file
that seems to be affected and it use to open without any problems.  The same
file will open on other computers with Excel 2003 without any problems.  The
only difference between this file and others that seem to have no problem is
before the file opens, it ask to disable or enable macros.  This file has no
macros that I know of, since I deleted any macros in the macro list for this
file a long time ago.  Does anyone know why my version of Excel is corrupting
this file and closing down?  Someone please help, I work with this file daily
on my computer and need to be able to open it.  thanks
0
SMY (5)
2/25/2005 7:23:03 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If Excel cannot open it, I would suggest that your only viable option is to
give the free Office-suite OpenOffice a go at opening and repairing it.  It
is very very good at recovering Excel files that Excel itself cannot.  You
may find you lose formatting, formulas or get nothing at all, but it's worth
a shot.  Its a free 70MB download, or, depending on how big your file is,
and how sensitive your data, I could try it for you.

www.openoffice.org

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

"SMY" <SMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2003 will close when trying to open a specific file.  When Excel is
> reopened the file is in the recovery box.  When I open the file from the
> recovery box it gives a message that the file is too corrupt to repair and
> most of my data is gone along with any formatting.  This is the only file
> that seems to be affected and it use to open without any problems.  The
same
> file will open on other computers with Excel 2003 without any problems.
The
> only difference between this file and others that seem to have no problem
is
> before the file opens, it ask to disable or enable macros.  This file has
no
> macros that I know of, since I deleted any macros in the macro list for
this
> file a long time ago.  Does anyone know why my version of Excel is
corrupting
> this file and closing down?  Someone please help, I work with this file
daily
> on my computer and need to be able to open it.  thanks

0
ken.wright (2489)
2/25/2005 7:54:32 PM
Ken, thankyou for your suggestion and for offering your help, but I can open
the file on other computers within my office and retrieve all original data,
formulas, and formatting with out any problem at all.  I just can't open the
same file on my computer, which leads me to believe there is something wrong
or corrupt with the Excel on my computer alone and not a problem with the
actual file.  What do you think?  thanks again.

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> If Excel cannot open it, I would suggest that your only viable option is to
> give the free Office-suite OpenOffice a go at opening and repairing it.  It
> is very very good at recovering Excel files that Excel itself cannot.  You
> may find you lose formatting, formulas or get nothing at all, but it's worth
> a shot.  Its a free 70MB download, or, depending on how big your file is,
> and how sensitive your data, I could try it for you.
>
> www.openoffice.org
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

>                   It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>
> "SMY" <SMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Excel 2003 will close when trying to open a specific file.  When Excel is
> > reopened the file is in the recovery box.  When I open the file from the
> > recovery box it gives a message that the file is too corrupt to repair and
> > most of my data is gone along with any formatting.  This is the only file
> > that seems to be affected and it use to open without any problems.  The
> same
> > file will open on other computers with Excel 2003 without any problems.
> The
> > only difference between this file and others that seem to have no problem
> is
> > before the file opens, it ask to disable or enable macros.  This file has
> no
> > macros that I know of, since I deleted any macros in the macro list for
> this
> > file a long time ago.  Does anyone know why my version of Excel is
> corrupting
> > this file and closing down?  Someone please help, I work with this file
> daily
> > on my computer and need to be able to open it.  thanks

0
SMY (5)
2/25/2005 8:13:05 PM
Hmmm - If you were using XL2000 then I'd be pretty sure I knew why, but
given it's 2003 I'm surprised.  Try searching for and deleting a file called
*.xlb which is your toolbar customisation file.  That was always suspect in
2000, but it's pretty much been fixed as far as I know.  Excel will just
create another one when it needs it.

Worth a shot anyway.

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

<snip>

0
ken.wright (2489)
2/25/2005 8:34:46 PM
Thanks, I'll try it when I'm back in the office on Monday.

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> Hmmm - If you were using XL2000 then I'd be pretty sure I knew why, but
> given it's 2003 I'm surprised.  Try searching for and deleting a file called
> *.xlb which is your toolbar customisation file.  That was always suspect in
> 2000, but it's pretty much been fixed as far as I know.  Excel will just
> create another one when it needs it.
>
> Worth a shot anyway.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>               Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

>                   It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> <snip>

0
SMY (5)

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

MS Money 95 data files

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Planned Open Market Days

cant start outlook pst file to large

help with simple maths in excel