Excel can't do hex - alternative?

I would like to be able to define a group of cells as (hex, oct, or
bin). The effect would be that when I input numbers, or the cell
displays numbers they would be in the chosen format.

For example:

I set up cell A1 as a hex "type" cell. I set up cell B1 as a decimal
"type" cell. In cell B1 I put the simple formula (=A1). Now I enter
"ff" into A1 and "255" pops up in B1.

I understand that there are hex2dec, dec2hex, bin2dec, ...etc
formulas. These, however, aren't much help when you are trying to work
with a different base across the whole spreadsheet or a large portion
of it.

Basically the intent is to work IN hex or binary so that calculations,
formulas, and values can all be in hex.

I don't think Excel can do this, is there any other spreadsheet
software out there that can?

Thanks,

-Matt
0
mtwomey (2)
12/4/2003 4:41:36 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Matthew,

I'm not sure what your ultimate objective is, but here's something that may
help.  Almost all computers, even those thought to be "hex" computers (IBM
mainframes among others) aren't hex machines at all.  They're binary.  The
hex is just a convenient way of representing numbers that's easier than a
long binary number.  D35F is a lot easier to write down than
1101001101011111.

Excel stores numbers in an IEEE-defined 8-byte floating-point format.  The
decimal we type in gets converted to that binary format when the number is
stored in a cell (and precision lost if there isn't an exact representation
out to about 15 decimal digits).  Excel math is done in that binary format.
The results get converted back to decimal digits for our use.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Matthew Twomey" <mtwomey@beakstar.com> wrote in message
> I would like to be able to define a group of cells as (hex, oct, or
> bin). The effect would be that when I input numbers, or the cell
> displays numbers they would be in the chosen format.
>
> For example:
>
> I set up cell A1 as a hex "type" cell. I set up cell B1 as a decimal
> "type" cell. In cell B1 I put the simple formula (=A1). Now I enter
> "ff" into A1 and "255" pops up in B1.
>
> I understand that there are hex2dec, dec2hex, bin2dec, ...etc
> formulas. These, however, aren't much help when you are trying to work
> with a different base across the whole spreadsheet or a large portion
> of it.
>
> Basically the intent is to work IN hex or binary so that calculations,
> formulas, and values can all be in hex.
>
> I don't think Excel can do this, is there any other spreadsheet
> software out there that can?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Matt

0
nowhere8060 (363)
12/4/2003 7:59:15 PM
"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@verizon.net> wrote in message news:<e1VOgEquDHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Matthew,
>
> I'm not sure what your ultimate objective is, but here's something that may
> help.  Almost all computers, even those thought to be "hex" computers (IBM
> mainframes among others) aren't hex machines at all.  They're binary.  The
> hex is just a convenient way of representing numbers that's easier than a
> long binary number.  D35F is a lot easier to write down than
> 1101001101011111.
>
> Excel stores numbers in an IEEE-defined 8-byte floating-point format.  The
> decimal we type in gets converted to that binary format when the number is
> stored in a cell (and precision lost if there isn't an exact representation
> out to about 15 decimal digits).  Excel math is done in that binary format.
> The results get converted back to decimal digits for our use.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net

Thanks, I do understand this. What I am looking for in a spreadsheet
application in which I can choose, for a group of cells, which
(visual) representation is used - binary, hexadecimal, octal, decimal,
....etc.

I want this, because I do a lot of electronics and microcontroller
hobby work. I often use spreadsheets to calculate things for my
projects. It would be very helpful to me to be able to do these
calculations in another base (without having to constantly convert
back to decimal - as Excel makes me do).

Has anyone ever seen a spreadsheet application which can do this?

Thanks,

-Matt
0
mtwomey (2)

Help
Hi I have produced an Excel workbook for gathering exam results and giving a score to them, counting the number of passes over a certain level etc. Each sheet is one student and I have used a little macro to name the sheet according to the name entered at the top of the sheet. My summary sheet requires certain formulae to analyse results from each worksheet. The problem is, I can easily enter the row of formulae for one student - but there could be up to 50 in a workbook! The fill action does not increment through the sheet names either when they are re-named or when they have original na...

Localized Header/Footer formatting codes in Excel 2000
Hello, I would like to set the Header/Footer parameters of an Excel worksheet from a VC++/MFC application using formatting codes, for example: PageSetup page = worksheet.GetPageSetup(); page.SetLeftHeader(_T("&D &T")); // print date and time to header The problem is that my Office 2000 is a localized version (Hungarian), and Excel doesn't seem to recognize the &T code, only the localized version, which is &I. This code works fine: page.SetLeftHeader(_T("&D &I")); I recorded a macro, and the generated VBA code also uses the non-localized vers...

excel #31
We have a workbook that is used by a number of people on our network. Whenever I update this the updates do not show when people open the file. Can anybody help me ensure that the updated version shown. Save to a central folder where all users will have access to only that modified file. Sounds like they are opening their own version of the file so don't see your changes. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:50:01 -0700, Joy29 <Joy29@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have a workbook that is used by a number of people on our network. >Whenever I updat...

What is the maximum no of bytes that can be stored in a excel file
what is the maximun of bytes that can be stored in a excel file I am trying to save records from another Quest TOOL called (TOAD) into MS- Excel. Please let me know. Eagerly waiting for your reply Thank -- prekid ----------------------------------------------------------------------- prekida's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2660 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39879 The limit on bytes depends on your computer's RAM. The max number of rows Excel can have is 65536 and the max number of columns is 256....

How do you change the data and input data into a chart on Excel?
Jon Peltier's Excel chart info may be useful to you. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ "unclemoko" <unclemoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AF9FAFA-B657-4C21-A4CA-56B81EC5C27B@microsoft.com... > ...

Acrobat pdf form and Excel XML
Hello everyone, I have written a spreadsheet for some data and a chart to display that data. The data is over a two week period for shifts worked, sick leave days and overtime shifts. This is for administration staff to process. The next step was I wrote a pdf form in Lifestyle designer. The form has a layout for a two week period, the dates and columns for the information to be put in by the supervisor. Then there is a button on it for the supervisor to email the XML data to admin staff. The spreadsheet and pdf form work well. It is a problem I have with the XML data. Once the orig...

EXCEL IQY Queries
I have created the Excel iqy queries from the third party reporting tools and during the process there is an option either to pass the User Login id and Pass word as a parameter or not. We have developed some queries using generic id so that the users do not have to pass the Login id and password and now we want to change that. Is there a way to modify that excelquery.iqy file without redoing that. can i see the sql script of that "iqy" file. can i modify that? Please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!! ...

Sparklines for Excel
Hi NG, Sparklines are tiny charts, a new invention of the info design guru Edward Tufte. You might be interested to check out our sparkline implementation for Excel: http://www.bonavistasystems.com/Products_SparkLiner_Overview.html MicroCharts enhances your Excel chart library with sparklines, bullet graphs and other in-cell charts: http://www.bonavistasystems.com/ChartGallery%20Column%20Charts.html Charts are created from MicroCharts fonts that consist of bars, line segments and pies. A chart is represented as text that is formatted with the MicroCharts fonts. Dynamic chart formulas u...

Why does Excel in XP create new files?
Excel adds duplicate files - Assist Log (2).xle, asssits Log (3).xls. Why? Can I make this stop. It appears all the files are identical - so if I just delete the extra files will I be losing any data? hi, I think this is something new in xl relating to thier file recovery during a GPF shutdown. but i keep getting it even without a GPF. when i save, excel will just up and ask me which file i want to save leaveing me sitting there asking "what do you mean which file. i only have one." it's getting anoying. >-----Original Message----- >Excel adds duplicate files - ...

Opening/Saving an Excel Attachement
After opening an attachment in Excel or Word the default folder that it saves to is a temp folder in the local settings. How can you change this to default to the users my documents. Remember we have opened these documents from an email. ...

Excel looking in wrong place for files
Hi, sometime ago I merged 2 partitions using PM8, and I was asked for a folder name, so I called My docs or something like that, and that folder was created on the said partition. Now when I go to open up a new file in excel it defaults to My Docs. So I formatted that partition changed all references in the Registry, rebooted and still excel is looking for new files in the wrong place. In fact the 'My Docs' folder no longer exists, so is there somewhere in Excel I can change its 'where to look' place? Thanks -- Bob H Leeds UK http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ContemporaryGifts4U...

How do I prevent Excel from auto-correcting the date format?
I am using Excel, and every time I enter 2/1 in the spreadsheet - it corrects it to Feb-1. How do I prevent it from doing this? One way is to format the input column / range as Text first (via Format > Cells > Number tab > Text > OK) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Watts" <Watts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16725A60-590A-4658-857A-2E6C8420D253@microsoft.com... > I am using Excel, and every time I enter 2/1 in the spreadsheet - it corrects > it to Feb-1. How do I prevent it from do...

Format Excel cells
Anyone could help me to solve this problem : How to format the selected cells so that it allows other users to "paste values" only(number from 0 to 100) to the cells. It rejects "paste" function which put formula, format etc into the cells. Thanks a million ! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreade...

Excel 2002 File Extensions
I created a drawing in Excel 2002 and I want to be able to save it in a file extension such as .jpg, .gif or .png so I can use it in Dreamweaver MX2004. I do not see any way to SAVE AS any file at ALL in those file extensions. Am I NOT able to do that? and if not, WHY not? Thank you for your feedback. I am grateful. Richard... Just try to copy/paste it on power point, it have with the right-click the save as picture option. I was unable to find the option directly on excel, however as excel and power point are from microsoft, you should not lose anything when you paste in on PP....

Click Excel custom menu item via MFC automation
Hi, I have a question regarding custom Excel 2003 menu item click via MFC automation. The VBA version of the action I want to do is pretty straightforward: Application.CommandBars(1).Controls("NumeriX").Controls("Object Tools").Controls("Delete All Objects").Execute Now I need to translate the above line to C++ code. I already have the automation classes for CCommandBars, CCommandBar0, CCommandBarControls, CCommandBarControl classes generated by VS.NET 2003 class wizard. The interesting thing is that the get_Item() method of CCommandBarControl...

Problem with Excel opening multiple documents
Operating System : Win XP sp1 Excel 2002 sp2 Senario: Double click on xls document from explorer and the document opens fine in excel. Double click on another xls document from explorer and nothing happens. Try again and still nothing happens. Switch to excel to try File Open from the menu; However, Open is grayed out. Press esc key and the second xls sheet opens up. Anyone experience this problem or know of a solution to fix it ? Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work t...

Excel 2003 vs 2002 problems
Hi, I have a large spreadsheet (80 MB) that was having some memory type issues in Excel 2002. I was told that 2003 has more memory. I upgraded today and noticed that the spreadsheet no opens better, i can copy/paste formulas better etc. However, I noticed that it calcualtes much slower than 2002. I have live stock data coming in via RTD links - the RTDThrottle is the same. I have run a sisde by side comparison (same spreadsheet running on two different systems - one with 2002 and the other with 2003) 2002 calculates much quicker. Does anyone know if I have to change something in...

Export from EXcel to jpg with 2007
Tom Ogilvy posted the following code some time back and it works wonderfully in Excel 2003 but, of course, encounters problems in 2007. Can anyone give suggestions for bringing it up to date for 2007? Sub ExportPicAsJpg() Dim chTemp As Chart Dim picCopy As Picture Dim dWidth As Double Dim dHeight As Double Dim shNew As Worksheet Set picCopy = Selection Set chTemp = Charts.Add Set shNew = Sheets.Add dWidth = picCopy.Width dHeight = picCopy.Height Application.ScreenUpdating = False With chTemp .SetSourceData Sou...

Hide Alternate Labels on Date Axis
Hi, I'm having trouble trying to hide every other label along a horizontal date axis. I start on the 01-Jan up to 10-Jan and through using the 'Format Axis'->'Scale'->'Major Unit' and setting this to 2 I can hide the labels: '02-Jan'; '04-Jan'; etc. However, I want to hide the odd dates: '01-Jan'; '03-Jan'; etc. I have tried the various combinations with the dialog box but can't get anything to work. Should I be using a custom formula or something? Any help is much appreciated. Paul. In article <1168177092.892944...

How to import Outlook Contact data into Excel
I have MS Outlook 2002 SP£ and Excel 2002 SP3. I am trying to import contact data from Outlook into Excel where I have created a template for sending out my invoices. Rather than type in data I thought that there must be a way to import the data from my contacts folder in Outlook. Ihave tried via MS Word 'Merge' programme but nothing but rubbish comes out as I cannot enter fields - Word converts my Excel file into its format and scrambles all! Had assumed it would be straightforward - Any sensible and successful ideas anyone? I have Outlook and Excel 2003 so I don'...

Excel #131
I went to Run, typed in Excel and the program opened. It shows that I have version 9. It showed me the data that I had put on it previously, but I can't open it from Programs or from the Icon on my desktop, nor can I open my documents from My Documents. I get the message: The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Try to find an installation package "datal.msi" in a folder from which you can install MS Office. Is it safe for me to try to do this on my own? My WORD, Access, Powerpoint, etc all open alright. I was ...

Shaded Area in Lieu of Excel Charts
I have a workbook with six worksheets in 3 pairs. Each pair contains a 'detailed data' worksheet and a 'summary' worksheet. The summary worksheet summarizes data from the detailed data. The summary worksheet also has a chart based on the data summary. The problem is that the Excel charts do not display unless I click on the shaded area where the charts should appear. Once the chart is visible, if I click outside the area, the chart disappears and is replaced by a shaded area. I started experiencing this problem when I shared the workbook with my colleagues. Now I do no...

EXCEL and Query
Microsoft Query won't give me access to data in a Microsoft Excel list. After connecting to the data source (another EXCEL spreadsheet) the error message 'No tables visible' is displayed. I have named the source spreadsheet as described in the on- line help, but still no result. Is there something else I need to switch-on? Help please. Have you tried giving a name to the table in the source spreadsheet. Eg. Data is in A1:F2500 - highlight that area and go Insert / Name / Define.... call it MyData - that table name should become visible when you do the query from the ot...

Excel Spreadsheet #4
How do i change a spreadsheet to an A3 size? It's in the printer settings -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "teletubby" <teletubby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0366922A-B1C3-48B4-843F-EF649F76E7F0@microsoft.com... > How do i change a spreadsheet to an A3 size? ...

Exporting data to Excel from VC++ 6.0
Can anyone suggest me an easy method (ActiveX, or direct APIs) of exporting data to Excel from VC++ 6.0? The one I am using has few limitations which are mentioned below: 1. Can not format the cells, e.g expand the cells to cell text width. 2. If a cell contains more than 256 characters then the fisrt 256 characters are overwritten and the latest characters are only stored. Regards ...