Excel 2007 Installation Question

I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007 Version)...

What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?

I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).

Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this installation
or direct me to a website that might do the same?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Ivey

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 3:50:58 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Just a little more clarification on my request...

What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...

"Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>Version)...
>
> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>
> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>
> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Mark Ivey

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 3:54:25 PM
Mark

Go ahead in do the parallel install of 2007.

If 2007 decides it wants to be the default, de-register 2007 and re-register
2002

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

Start>Run  "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /unregserver

See the space between exe and /regserver.

Then register 2002

Start>Run   "C:\yourpathto2002\excel.exe" /regserver

This process should make Excel 2002 the default for opening files.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:54:25 -0600, "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just a little more clarification on my request...
>
>What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
>2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>

>"Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>>Version)...
>>
>> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
>> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>>
>> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
>> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>>
>> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
>> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mark Ivey

0
Gord
12/2/2007 4:55:16 PM
You have two choices essentially.

First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is free,
and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in there,

The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install XP.Just
make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them in separate
specific directories.

--
---
HTH

Bob

 UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
 http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

> Just a little more clarification on my request...
>
> What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
> 2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>

> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>>Version)...
>>
>> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
>> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>>
>> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
>> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>>
>> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
>> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mark Ivey

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
12/2/2007 4:58:51 PM
Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?

"Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> You have two choices essentially.
>
> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is free,
> and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in there,
>
> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install XP.Just
> make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them in separate
> specific directories.
>
> --
> ---
> HTH
>
> Bob

> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> addy)
>

> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just a little more clarification on my request...
>>
>> What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
>> 2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>>

>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>>>Version)...
>>>
>>> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
>>> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>>>
>>> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
>>> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
>>> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Mark Ivey

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 5:36:26 PM
>>Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?

No.  After installing 2007 just run (from Start->Run): <Full path to
XL2002>\Excel.exe /regserver

There is a space before the slash.  That will cause Excel 2002 to
re-register itself and claim its file extensions back (like XLS).

--
Jim
> Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>

> "Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> You have two choices essentially.
>>
>> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is free,
>> and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in there,
>>
>> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install
>> XP.Just make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them in
>> separate specific directories.
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob

>> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
>> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>>
>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>> addy)
>>

>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Just a little more clarification on my request...
>>>
>>> What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the
>>> Excel 2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>>>

>>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
jrrech1 (131)
12/2/2007 6:32:53 PM
Not only that; you should always install app from earliest to newest version
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>

> "Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> You have two choices essentially.
>>
>> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is free,
>> and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in there,
>>
>> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install
>> XP.Just make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them in
>> separate specific directories.
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob

>> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
>> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>>
>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>> addy)
>>

>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Just a little more clarification on my request...
>>>
>>> What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the
>>> Excel 2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>>>

>>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
12/2/2007 6:50:52 PM
Gord,

Thanks for the feedback...

As soon as I get my new copy of MS Office (xmas present), I will give this
information a shot.

Mark

> Mark
>
> Go ahead in do the parallel install of 2007.
>
> If 2007 decides it wants to be the default, de-register 2007 and
> re-register
> 2002
>
> Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar
>
> Start>Run  "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /unregserver
>
> See the space between exe and /regserver.
>
> Then register 2002
>
> Start>Run   "C:\yourpathto2002\excel.exe" /regserver
>
> This process should make Excel 2002 the default for opening files.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 09:54:25 -0600, "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Just a little more clarification on my request...
>>
>>What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
>>2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>>

>>"Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>>>Version)...
>>>
>>> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
>>> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>>>
>>> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
>>> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
>>> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Mark Ivey

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 8:42:19 PM
Thanks for the information Bob...

I will attempt to install it on the same system with out an uninstall first
to see how it goes.

Mark

"Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> You have two choices essentially.
>
> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is free,
> and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in there,
>
> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install XP.Just
> make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them in separate
> specific directories.
>
> --
> ---
> HTH
>
> Bob

> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> addy)
>

> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just a little more clarification on my request...
>>
>> What I would like is the Excel XP version to be my default, and the Excel
>> 2007 version to be selected manually from the program list...
>>

>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am about to purchase Excel 2007 (MS Office Home & Student 2007
>>>Version)...
>>>
>>> What I would like to know is exactly how can I install it along side my
>>> other version of Excel (version 2002 XP)?
>>>
>>> I generally use the XP version for most of my development at work, but I
>>> would like to start learning version 2007 as well (using my same PC).
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide me with some detailed instructions for this
>>> installation or direct me to a website that might do the same?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Mark Ivey

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 8:43:22 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go when after I get my new copy of
Office this xmas...

Mark

"Jim Rech" <jrrech@live.com> wrote in message
>>>Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>
> No.  After installing 2007 just run (from Start->Run): <Full path to
> XL2002>\Excel.exe /regserver
>
> There is a space before the slash.  That will cause Excel 2002 to
> re-register itself and claim its file extensions back (like XLS).
>
> --
> Jim
> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>>

>> "Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> You have two choices essentially.
>>>
>>> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is
>>> free, and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in
>>> there,
>>>
>>> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install
>>> XP.Just make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them
>>> in separate specific directories.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ---
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> __________________________________________
>>> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
>>> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>>>
>>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>>> addy)
>>>

>>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 8:44:10 PM
That is what I have been reading on the web about, but I was unsure about
the specifics of the installation of the new version.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
> Not only that; you should always install app from earliest to newest
> version
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>>

>> "Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> You have two choices essentially.
>>>
>>> First, you could download a copy of VirtualPC from Microsoft, it is
>>> free, and build a Virtual machine and install your copy of 2007 in
>>> there,
>>>
>>> The other option is to uninstall XP, install 2007, then re-install
>>> XP.Just make sure you don't click the upgrade option, and you put them
>>> in separate specific directories.
>>>
>>> --
>>> ---
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>>> __________________________________________
>>> UK Cambridge XL Users Conference 29-30 Nov
>>> http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html
>>>
>>> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
>>> addy)
>>>

>>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/2/2007 8:45:23 PM
Btw, although I too install Excel versions from oldest to newest when I get
a new machine, I don't think it's essential.  And even if you do, the
versions will still fight with each other over "control of the file
extensions".  That's why it's good to know and use the re-register trick.
The only caviat is that I have not gotten it to work with Excel 2007.
Whether it's me or a change in the program I don't know.

--
Jim
> Jim,
>
> Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go when after I get my new copy of
> Office this xmas...
>

> Mark
>
> "Jim Rech" <jrrech@live.com> wrote in message
>>
>> No.  After installing 2007 just run (from Start->Run): <Full path to
>> XL2002>\Excel.exe /regserver
>>
>> There is a space before the slash.  That will cause Excel 2002 to
>> re-register itself and claim its file extensions back (like XLS).
>>
>> --
>> Jim
>> "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is it really necessary to uninstall the XP version?
>>>

>>> "Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote in message

0
jrrech1 (131)
12/2/2007 10:45:30 PM
Jim

Otto had the dual installation of 2002 and 2007 with 2007 as default but Otto
wanted 2002 as default.

The unregserver for 2007 and regserver for 2002 worked for him.

See thread  http://tinyurl.com/2zoovz

Gord

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:45:30 -0500, "Jim Rech" <jrrech@live.com> wrote:

>Btw, although I too install Excel versions from oldest to newest when I get
>a new machine, I don't think it's essential.  And even if you do, the
>versions will still fight with each other over "control of the file
>extensions".  That's why it's good to know and use the re-register trick.
>The only caviat is that I have not gotten it to work with Excel 2007.
>Whether it's me or a change in the program I don't know.

0
Gord
12/2/2007 11:14:43 PM
Gord,

Others have said to install the newer version in it's own folder. Isn't that
it's default behavior on an install?

Mark

> Jim
>
> Otto had the dual installation of 2002 and 2007 with 2007 as default but
> Otto
> wanted 2002 as default.
>
> The unregserver for 2007 and regserver for 2002 worked for him.
>
> See thread  http://tinyurl.com/2zoovz
>

> Gord
>
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:45:30 -0500, "Jim Rech" <jrrech@live.com> wrote:
>
>>Btw, although I too install Excel versions from oldest to newest when I
>>get
>>a new machine, I don't think it's essential.  And even if you do, the
>>versions will still fight with each other over "control of the file
>>extensions".  That's why it's good to know and use the re-register trick.
>>The only caviat is that I have not gotten it to work with Excel 2007.
>>Whether it's me or a change in the program I don't know.

0
wmivey6311 (46)
12/3/2007 2:25:57 AM
You will be given the optiions when you install to keep your current version and
2007 will set up itself parallel to 2002 as a separate application.

Gord

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:25:57 -0600, "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>Others have said to install the newer version in it's own folder. Isn't that
>it's default behavior on an install?
>
>Mark
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Jim
>>
>> Otto had the dual installation of 2002 and 2007 with 2007 as default but
>> Otto
>> wanted 2002 as default.
>>
>> The unregserver for 2007 and regserver for 2002 worked for him.
>>
>> See thread  http://tinyurl.com/2zoovz
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 17:45:30 -0500, "Jim Rech" <jrrech@live.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Btw, although I too install Excel versions from oldest to newest when I
>>>get
>>>a new machine, I don't think it's essential.  And even if you do, the
>>>versions will still fight with each other over "control of the file
>>>extensions".  That's why it's good to know and use the re-register trick.
>>>The only caviat is that I have not gotten it to work with Excel 2007.
>>>Whether it's me or a change in the program I don't know.

0
Gord
12/3/2007 3:26:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback...

I will check it out when I get my copy soon.

Mark

> You will be given the optiions when you install to keep your current
> version and
> 2007 will set up itself parallel to 2002 as a separate application.
>

> Gord
>
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:25:57 -0600, "Mark Ivey" <wmivey6311@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Gord,
>>
>>Others have said to install the newer version in it's own folder. Isn't
>>that
>>it's default behavior on an install?
>>
>>Mark
>>
>>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> Otto had the dual installation of 2002 and 2007 with 2007 as default but
>>> Otto
>>> wanted 2002 as default.
>>>
>>> The unregserver for 2007 and regserver for 2002 worked for him.
>>>
>>> See thread  http://tinyurl.com/2zoovz
>>>

>>> Gord

0
wmivey6311 (46)

Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute everytime I compose or respond to a message
In OWA, Every time I try to compose or respond to a message, the Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute and asks for the CD. Unfortunately, this Office 2000 problem has come up again even after all the updates to Office 2000. Also I am having trouble logging out. When I hit the logoff button, it brings up a sign-in screen asking for ID & password again. Whether I cancel it or fill it in and type OK, it then gives me a screen that says "access denied". I never get a screen which says that logout was successful. I have the same problem here... From what I've s...

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Stupid question regarding reports
I am a former Quicken user switching to Money and I have what seems to me a very dumb report question. How do I create a new report? I've looked in the help file and in the online tutorial and users guide and find plenty of references to customizing an existing report but nothing about creating a new one. I realize that it must be there somewhere. Someone please help this dummy (it would be nice if they gave you even a 5 page manual though). Bob Had me guessing for a while also. Just click on "reports" and select which one you want. Don't forget to use "custom...

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Opening Excel Workbooks

help with simple maths in excel

Grammar check not working

How do I use traffic lights in excel

M2006 installation
I don't have an internet connection and I can't get past the Passport sign-in screen upon installation. Is there a way to install without an internet connection? Thank you. -- Mark M This install is from a CD? Somewhere on that screen or the previous one, in small type, is a cancel/skip/no I really don't want to use a Passport choice. I'd be more precise, but I can't test here. "Mark M" <MarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBDC16A-8EA8-473D-AC7F-E16B9DCE75D6@microsoft.com... > I don't have an internet connection and I can...

Exchange 2007 across account search

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

Excel Problem