Excel 2007 "document not saved" when on a network share AND file set as an offline file

Hello~

Have this annoying REPEATABLE problem with Excel 2007 running on Vista
Business saving to a share on Windows Server 2003. On the client,
Vista and Excel all up-to-date with SPs, the machine is part of a
domain, and some files on different shares are set to be available
offline.

On the server, Windows 2003 also up-to-date, the client user has full
permissions in all the directories in question - both share
permissions and NTFS permissions), and the directory is set to make
only files users specify to be available offline.

Client has no problem opening and saving files in Excel that are NOT
marked as available offline. Also no problems with the new native file
format.

So now here is the problem - as soon as a file available offline AND
in Excel 2003 format is opened by Excel, the properties of that file
indicate that the file is offline. i.e. the process of opening the
file moves its status to offline. Then any attempt to save the file
results in the dreaded "document not saved" error message. This occurs
with a constant dedicated network connection. So, a work around has
been to save it local and then drag and drop it over to the network
when finished. Another work around (that works sometimes when Excel
lets it happen) is to open the properties of the file AFTER opened by
Excel, hit the [Sync] button to move the file back to online - and
then for the rest of the session it stays online and you can save it
at will.

So in summary, it seems that Excel 2007 has the nasty habit of moving
an XLS document from online to offline upon opening and then cannot
save it anymore. Anyone else have this issue or a fix? Using Office
2007 organization wide hinges on it.

Regards

0
rhertzler (1)
5/18/2007 6:11:39 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Document not Saved error
Occasionally, a user will get the error message, Document not Saved, when trying to save a spreadsheet. Save as, saving to a different drive results in the same message. To recover, you can Copy the whole sheet, exit then go back into Excel, then past, then save it. We use Excel 97. Does anyone know why this is happening? When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the original and rename this funny named file to the original's name. You see the results when something interferes wi...

Document Not Saved #3
We run Excel off of our local desktops, but same most of the work to a server. We frequently get error messages when we attempt to save a file. The save process just stops mid way through and says, document not saved. This doesn't happen with any other programs like MS Word. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this or what is causing it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brady **************************************************************************** Brady T. Finney Atlantic Management Company, Inc. Orchard Park - Suite A12 875 Greenland Road Portsmouth, NH 0380...

"Document not saved" and very large temporary excel files...
When attempting to save our addin it times out after a couple of minutes and displays a "Document Not Saved" dialog While saving, the temp save file that Excel creates grows to about 2gig before excel "times out". This usually starts happening after a bit of coding... We are using Excel 2003. And our addin contains quite a bit of VBA (say about 50k lines). We usually run excel sessions with many 3rd Party addins of a financial nature (Reuters/Bloomberg etc). Thanks for any help. ....the xls file is about 10 mb when it manages to save... An Excel add-in, prior...

Document Not Saved #7
I have an excel file that contains vba code and is about 450kb which i have distributed to about 15 users. Only one user is getting this error. He is able to save it from the email to his C: drive, but when he tries to save changes or save as another file name he gets the error. His C: drive has plenty of space, so disk space and network connection cannot be the issue. Therefore the issue must be that the process is being interupted. Also, during the save, the progress meter goes about half way then stops for a few seconds, then the error shows up. I cannot find a listing of possible...

Document Not Saved
what are reason why i can't save a workbook in excel97/2000(e.g. OQAWW26.xls), error message received: Document Not Saved. any workaround to fix this problem; is there any fixes available in Microsoft. any help would be appreciated. Hi Carl i experienced this problem recently when saving an existing workbook to a network drive on a unreliable network ... the only solution that we managed to get working was to edit / move or copy sheet (one at a time, ticking create a copy) to a new workbook & then move all code modules & then we could save the new version. when we check...

Why do I get an error Document not Saved in Excel?
I am trying to save a worksheet In Excel that I have used and saved several times before. I am now getting the message in a pop up stating that the Document was not Saved. Has anyone had this error pop up and how do I get this fixed so that I can save all of my changes? ...

Document Not Saved
Hi, I have created an excel document under windows xp/office 2003, this document contains ~20 worksheets, and some vba code behind. Using this excel file on windows works fine. On a macintosh, I cannot save the document ("Document not saved") I try with Panther/Tiger and Office X,Office 2004 without and with updates. Note, that the file is stored locally, and is unprotected. By deleting some vba modules, i can save again, but there is no way to reproduce this systematically (deleting a given vba module could solve the problem for one save, but only once) Browsing the web, i se...

File won't save
Someone at work asked me this and I havent seen it before and couldn' find any reason it wouldn't save. I tried saving to differen locations, no dice. Let me know if something is set up in this file to prevent it fro saving. See picture attachment for a screen shot Thanks anyone & everyone Attachment filename: docnotsaved.jpg Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=45327 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com johnny Some discussion and possible fixes for this at google search results. http://snipurl.com/4p...

Get "Document Not Saved" error
Not sure what happened but all of sudden when I try to save this file get the "Document Not Saved" error message. Even if I try a file sav as and change the name I get it. Hoping you can help me save 2 hour of work. :( By the way, like the new format : -- Kevla ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Kevlar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=723 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26337 ...

Excel 2007 "document not saved" when on a network share AND file set as an offline file
Hello~ Have this annoying REPEATABLE problem with Excel 2007 running on Vista Business saving to a share on Windows Server 2003. On the client, Vista and Excel all up-to-date with SPs, the machine is part of a domain, and some files on different shares are set to be available offline. On the server, Windows 2003 also up-to-date, the client user has full permissions in all the directories in question - both share permissions and NTFS permissions), and the directory is set to make only files users specify to be available offline. Client has no problem opening and saving files in Excel that ar...

"Document Not Saved" error today
Just an FYI. I don't know where else to post this, but hopefully it helps someone here. A microsoft update was automatically installed on most of our computers overnight or this morning. After that we were unable to save to a network shared drive (mapped drive) in any Office 2007 program. It turned out that we were only unable to save to our file server which is still running NT4. I was able to save to a Win 2k3 server ok. I was also able to save to the NT4 shares with every other program I tried. After removing Security Update for Windows XP KB980232 everything worked ...

"document not saved"
My users are working with a 4-5 mb excel file that they cannot save on their mapped network drive. It starts saving and then they get the "Document not saved" msg. The only workaround that works is to save it on the local drive and then copy it using windows copy paste etc I have checked the following: -The drive is not full -They have full control on their mapped drives -I have disabled the antivirus -I have tried "save as..." -I tried saving as in xl97 format (the spreadsheet was written in 97) -I have used different workstations -I have used d...

Document not saved #4
Office 2003, Win XP sp 2 I have a large excel spreadsheet, and every once in a while when I try to save it, it states "document wont save". I have tried saving to different places, on the netowrk, local hd, etc. If I close it, and loose all my additions, it will usually work again for a while. Any reasons this would happen. How large is the file? What other programs do you have running at the same time? Hello, Can you tell me if you ever found a solution for this problem? I am experiencing the same thing and can't figure out for the life of me what is causing it and ho...

"Document not saved".
I'm using Office 97 on my computer that has Windows ME. I have created a workbook that is now fairly large (4,600KB) I can add to it and save the data in ME. However, when I send the file to my new laptop (windows XP home) Windows will not let me save any changes I've made. I get the error message "Document not saved". I have read all the info on Embedded Objects, but I'm not sure how to find them if they in fact do exist in my workbook. Thanks, Scott I think I'd try some of the following: Clean windows temp folder reboot your laptop try it out. If it do...

Document not saved #7
I'm looking for an answer, but I was wondering if this message was ever solved? I have one user with Windows XP and Office 97. He'll be working away on some Excel sheet which is usually big (not huge) and with macros. He'll go to save, and gets the message "Document not saved" Nothing else, just that message. If he tries doing a Save As to either a different name or location (network or local), it does the same thing; it's just faster with the message on the local drive. He has to copy sheet by sheet to another workbook and save that one. Like I say, I've lo...

Document not saved
When I copy a particular file from the server to my hard drive and make changes to it. When I go to save it I get a message that reads "!Document not saved". Can anyone help to get me looking in the proper direction to find out why I can't save my changes. This is an excel file. Try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;230164 this is a registry hack that worked for me. ...

'Document not saved'
Ok, here is the situation. I created a template that has about 1 sheets in it, about 1 mb in size, and it contains buttons and a comb box as well. Occasionally a user will try to save and get a 'Documen not saved' dialog and it will not save. When we close it and repeat th same steps it works fine and all is good. Now, however we have a use who gets this everytime. We have looked all over the net and tried th following: -Checked his disk space, tons left. -Cleared out all his temp directories as excel dumps lots in thes (even doc and settings\local settings\temp) -reinstalled, and ...

document not saved/read-only
Hi, I am setting up an intrant using iis 5 and am being driven mad by saving excel files. I have posted before but the problem has now changed as after configuring url scan when a user tries to save an excel file they either get the 'document not saved' or the cannot save file read-only' error message. I have looked at permissions, the isur account and checked the space on the target drive. Any clues would be gratefully received! TIA Sarah FWIW I am not a server person, but have seen problems like thi mentioned and solved by disabling server file caching. This ca evident...

document not saved #6
Hello, I've seen this issued posted a few years back and never saw an answer to this so I'm wondering if anyone has any more insight to it. There are about 30 users who share a workbook and when they attempt to save some changes they've made they receive the following error. 'Your changes could not be saved to 'xxxx.xls', but were saved to a temporary document named 'xxxx.xls'. Close the exisiting document, then save it under a new name.' When they try to save under a new name, either clicking on save or save as, it bring up: 'Document not Saved....

Document not saved on macintosh
Hi, I have created an excel document under windows xp/office 2003, this document contains ~20 worksheets, and some vba code behind. Using this excel file on windows works fine. On a macintosh, I cannot save the document ("Document not saved") I try with Panther/Tiger and Office X,Office 2004 without and with updates. Note, that the file is stored locally, and is unprotected. By deleting some vba modules, i can save again, but there is no way to reproduce this systematically (deleting a given vba module could solve the problem for one save, but only once) Browsing the web, i see th...

Document not saved #5
Good Day! My File at the network always encounter this error-Document not save- I cannot save the file so I always open a new workbook and copy each worksheet of the file i cannot save.Im using Excel 97 SR-2 and Windows NT SP6. What is the cause of this error? How can I prevent this? give me some advise. thanks! I received this error most frequently when I worked at a little company that had a very flaky network. It was constantly experiencing interruptions. When you open an Excel file from a network and the network connection gets interrupted, even for a moment, then Excel "can...

When saving a worksheet in excel message "document not saved"
When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the new information either through the icon or File Save as. Any suggestions what is going wrong. Can you save it as a new name in the same folder? If no, can you save it as a new name in a different folder? Bailey wrote: > > When saving a worksheet that I use every day and changing data everyday today > I am getting a message saying "document not saved" and it will not save the > new information either th...

Document not saved #6
Every once in a while when I try to save an excel workbook I get the error "Documment not Saved". It don't think it is a a problem with my server connection because if I try to save the file somewhere else like my laptop I cannot save it. I have tried different locations with different names and every time I receive the error message. any help? When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful, xl will rename the funny named fil...

Document not saved in Excel 97
Hi, Thanks in advance for your help. I have a new workstation with Windows XP pro sp1 and have installed Office 97/Excel 97 SR-2. When I try to save a excel file with or without changes. that had been created before new workstation. I get Document not Saved. The file/files are on a network drive and I have full permission to them. I have tried the same from a Win 98se pc and it works . Save as does not work either. Any Ideas? Thanks Dexter Hi Dexter.......... Sounds like the same results I used to get when we had LOTS of network troubles at work on my drop.......others would work ok, but m...

Document not saved problem
This is probably simple, but it sure has me stumped. I created a workbook by moving 11 different Excel files into a single workbook. Each file occupies a single sheet in the workbook. When I go to save the new workbook it gives a message "Document not saved". No other information. No matter what I do I cannot save the new workbook. Any ideas why? I really need to create this single workbook from multiple files. Roy Do you have permission to save to the folder you're using? Any interference with your Antivirus software? (disable it and try again). Is there space on your drive ...