Excel 2007 - calculating ranges of numbers?

Hi, weird question.  I've got several thousand single-cell
alphanumeric values (e.g., CUSA000040, CUSA000041).  Basically they
range from 01 to 10,000.  However, some numbers are missing from the
sequence.  Is there a way to have Excel show the ranges of values that
*do* exist in this long list?  As in, 40-150; 151-200; 205-4000, etc.,
with or without the alpha prefix?

Thanks very much!  Hope this question makes sense!
0
smeldrick (7)
12/15/2010 9:55:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assume your values are in column A on Sheet1. Insert a new Sheet2 and
in A2 enter this value:

CUSA000001

and put this in A3:

CUSA000002

Then select those 2 cells and drag the fill handle down column A as
far as you need to - you will get all the numeric values automatically
in sequence. Then in B2 you can have this formula:

=3DIF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"MISSED","ok")

and then you can copy this down by double-clicking on the fill handle
(the small black square in the bottom right corner of the cursor). You
will get a series of "MISSED" and "ok" down that column, and you can
apply a filter to column B to see all the "ok" values, which are the
ones that are present in your original list (which doesn't need to be
sorted, by the way).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 15, 9:55=A0pm, Peter <smeldr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, weird question. =A0I've got several thousand single-cell
> alphanumeric values (e.g., CUSA000040, CUSA000041). =A0Basically they
> range from 01 to 10,000. =A0However, some numbers are missing from the
> sequence. =A0Is there a way to have Excel show the ranges of values that
> *do* exist in this long list? =A0As in, 40-150; 151-200; 205-4000, etc.,
> with or without the alpha prefix?
>
> Thanks very much! =A0Hope this question makes sense!

0
pashurst (2576)
12/15/2010 10:35:44 PM
On Dec 15, 4:35=A0pm, Pete_UK <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote:
> Assume your values are in column A on Sheet1. Insert a new Sheet2 and
> in A2 enter this value:
>
> CUSA000001
>
> and put this in A3:
>
> CUSA000002
>
> Then select those 2 cells and drag the fill handle down column A as
> far as you need to - you will get all the numeric values automatically
> in sequence. Then in B2 you can have this formula:
>
> =3DIF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"MISSED","ok")
>
> and then you can copy this down by double-clicking on the fill handle
> (the small black square in the bottom right corner of the cursor). You
> will get a series of "MISSED" and "ok" down that column, and you can
> apply a filter to column B to see all the "ok" values, which are the
> ones that are present in your original list (which doesn't need to be
> sorted, by the way).
>
> Hope this helps.

[snip]

Brilliant!  Thanks!

0
smeldrick (7)
12/15/2010 10:54:07 PM
You're welcome, Peter - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Dec 15, 10:54=A0pm, Peter <smeldr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Brilliant! =A0Thanks!
0
pashurst (2576)

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Counting number of X's in a column

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Excel DNS query

outputting values to a range from one formula
I wish to generate a table automatically by means of a single formula that applies an iteration on a starting given value with a given step, and the computed values are posted/entered automtically into cells from a given cell onwards, say below it, until the computed value reaches a certain given limt. This is somehow the inverse of INDIRECT or of OFFSET. These can pull values from a variable addresses of cells. What I need is to push values into a variable addresses of cells. Can anyone help me on that?? Thanks. :confused -- Shafe ---------------------------------------------------------...

Number 040
How can I put the numbers starting by zero? I want to put the number 040 as a number but it dont allow me. Any help... -- Drazic ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Drazic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24602 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=381894 to put 040, enter '040 but this converts it to text. Another method would be to enter 40 and then format the cell as custo and enter 000 in the box. Manges -- mangesh_yada ---------------------------------------------...

Precision of Calculations
I have a question about increasing the precision of calculations in Excel. I'm trying to develop an Excel spreadsheet to conduct a specialized kind of analysis, I have everything running correctly except for one stage of the analysis. At one point, the spreadsheet calculates a probability using the following formula (with input from cell H16) =1-NORMSDIST(H16) This produces a number in cell H17. The resulting probability is then entered in the following formula =TINV(H17,C5-2) to produce a value in cell H18. Now, if the H16 value is large, then the probability resulting in...

Excel Problem

Exchange 2007 across account search