Excel 2003 - VBA - Sheet Referencing in Formulas

Hi Guys:

I'm drawing a blank and need some help.

I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at 106
sheets).

In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something (located
in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the
target sheet contains the last row with valid data.

Example:

Cell "D3" = P02-05

Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM

In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet P02-05,
search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the Value in
column 8.

Cell "D5" should be =Vlookup($B5,'P02-05'!$A$2:$H$1080,8,0)

My thinking on VBA Code :

Cells(5,4).formulaR1C1 = "=Vlookup(RC2,'" & ^^^ & "'!R2C1:R"  & ^^^ &
"C8,8,0)"

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to pull the Sheet name then the
Number of Lines from the target sheet ("A1" in the target sheet).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Craig

0
brandtcraig (111)
7/2/2008 5:13:39 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

First this would work:

Cells(5,4) = "=Vlookup($B5,'P02-05'!$A$2:$H$1080,8,0)"

To make the sheet name dynamic so that is refers to a cell you want to
modify this to read:

Cells(5,4) = "=VLOOKUP($B5,INDIRECT(B3&""!$A$2:$H$1080""),8,0)"
--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Craig Brandt" wrote:

> Hi Guys:
>

> I'm drawing a blank and need some help.
>
> I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at 106
> sheets).
>
> In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something (located
> in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the
> target sheet contains the last row with valid data.
>

> Example:
>

> Cell "D3" = P02-05
>
> Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM
>
> In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet P02-05,
> search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the Value in
> column 8.
>
> Cell "D5" should be =Vlookup($B5,'P02-05'!$A$2:$H$1080,8,0)
>

> My thinking on VBA Code :
>
> Cells(5,4).formulaR1C1 = "=Vlookup(RC2,'" & ^^^ & "'!R2C1:R"  & ^^^ &
> "C8,8,0)"
>

> I'm having difficulty figuring out how to pull the Sheet name then the
> Number of Lines from the target sheet ("A1" in the target sheet).
>

> Any help would be appreciated,
> Thanks,
> Craig

Hi Shane:

Thanks for the response. I think you are going in the right direction, but
the code didn't work. It gave me a #REF in the cell.
I did change the B3 in the formula to a D3, still to no avail.

I changed my tack and used NAMES to identify the tables. This made the whole
mess easier to handle, and I got over the hurdle and it is working.

One day, I would like to understand how to substitute the contents of a cell
for the Sheet Name. I have run into several cases where it would have been
very helpful.

Thanks again for you input,

Craig

"ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1C9EF0F0-C42D-413E-B093-F18DE1B0B3A4@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> First this would work:
>
> Cells(5,4) = "=Vlookup($B5,'P02-05'!$A$2:$H$1080,8,0)"
>
> To make the sheet name dynamic so that is refers to a cell you want to
> modify this to read:
>
> Cells(5,4) = "=VLOOKUP($B5,INDIRECT(B3&""!$A$2:$H$1080""),8,0)"
> --
> Cheers,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Craig Brandt" wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys:
> >

> > I'm drawing a blank and need some help.
> >
> > I have a table with row 3 containing sheet names (currently pointing at
106
> > sheets).
> >
> > In rows 4-250 I want to put formulas that will look for something
(located
> > in Column B) in each of the sheets named in row 3. The first cell in the
> > target sheet contains the last row with valid data.
> >

> > Example:
> >

> > Cell "D3" = P02-05
> >
> > Cell "B5" = 123456789IBM
> >
> > In cell "D5" I want to generate a formula that will look in sheet
P02-05,
> > search for the contents of "B5" throughout the sheet and return the
Value in
> > column 8.
> >
> > Cell "D5" should be =Vlookup($B5,'P02-05'!$A$2:$H$1080,8,0)
> >

> > My thinking on VBA Code :
> >
> > Cells(5,4).formulaR1C1 = "=Vlookup(RC2,'" & ^^^ & "'!R2C1:R"  & ^^^ &
> > "C8,8,0)"
> >

> > I'm having difficulty figuring out how to pull the Sheet name then the
> > Number of Lines from the target sheet ("A1" in the target sheet).
> >

> > Any help would be appreciated,
> > Thanks,
> > Craig

0
brandtcraig (111)
7/2/2008 9:15:04 PM
Maybe...

With ActiveSheet
  .Range("E4").Formula = "=vlookup($b5,'" & .Range("D3").Value _
                           & "'!$a$2:$H$1080,8,0)"
End With

If there's nothing else on that worksheet that contains the table, I'd just
use:  $a:$h

With ActiveSheet
  .Range("E4").Formula = "=vlookup($b5,'" & .Range("D3").Value _
                           & "'!$a:$H,8,0)"
End With

It makes life a bit easier.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Window panes in Outlook 2003
Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a preview pane for the selected e-mail, evidently. I can find no way to eliminate the window pane. Is there a way to remove this pane? How? I've tried every VIEW combination with no success. View > Reading Pane > Off doesn't work? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C953EF40-873E-4A04-93A8-FE101A547D0D@microsoft.com... > Just got 2003 and find a third window pane on the far right which is a > preview pane for the selected e-m...

removing replicated table information from MS Office Access 2003
I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. If I import the file without any replicated information (ie. s_ColLineage, etc) how would this affect the database? Is it safe to do this? Would I be better off just making the tables not replicable? Thanks On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 03:33:07 -0800, DukeJon <DukeJon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Assuming your Access database does not need replicating, yes, it is safe to omit those fields during import. -Tom. >I have a tool that exports .xml files which are then imported into a table. >If I import the f...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Excel 2007

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Password Issue with MS Money 2003