Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

I have successfully sorted my data to show repeating entries in
relation to two specific columns.  I can't seem to figure out how to
select these repeating entries (without doing it manually, of course)
and putting them either into their own column(s) or an entirely
different spreadsheet altogether.

The goal is to save time in managing THOUSANDS of documents in this
manner so that my colleagues can easily pick up repeating entries and
take according action.  Doing it manually is very time-inefficient.
0
kflinspach (10)
8/24/2009 12:38:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Nit Wit,

You don't really describe enough of your layout or what you actually mean by 'repeating entries' to
allow a final working example, but the code below will copy repeated rows in column A and B (where
the values in, for example, A3:B3 are repeated in cells A10:B10) to column J and K of the same
sheet.  The important part is to come up with a formula for column C that will return TRUE or FALSE
depending on your repeating criteria...

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Sub NitWitMacro()
Dim LRow As Long
Dim myR As Range

Set myR = Selection

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False

LRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

Range("C1").EntireColumn.Insert
Range(Cells(2, 3), Cells(LRow, 3)).FormulaR1C1 = _
"=SUMPRODUCT((R2C1:R" & LRow & "C1=RC[-2])*(R2C2:R" & LRow & "C2=RC[-1]))>1"
Range("A:C").AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="TRUE"
Range("A:B").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
Range("K1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues
Range("C1").EntireColumn.Delete

Range("A:C").AutoFilter

myR.Select

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

"Nit_Wit_400" <kflinspach@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have successfully sorted my data to show repeating entries in
> relation to two specific columns.  I can't seem to figure out how to
> select these repeating entries (without doing it manually, of course)
> and putting them either into their own column(s) or an entirely
> different spreadsheet altogether.
>
> The goal is to save time in managing THOUSANDS of documents in this
> manner so that my colleagues can easily pick up repeating entries and
> take according action.  Doing it manually is very time-inefficient.

0
Bernie
8/24/2009 1:14:49 PM
Not too clear; please expand.
Do you mean that your rows have say 5 columns of data and you consider there
to be a repeat if say row 4 and row 10 have the same value in column A and
the same value in column C?
best wishes?
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nit_Wit_400" <kflinspach@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have successfully sorted my data to show repeating entries in
> relation to two specific columns.  I can't seem to figure out how to
> select these repeating entries (without doing it manually, of course)
> and putting them either into their own column(s) or an entirely
> different spreadsheet altogether.
>
> The goal is to save time in managing THOUSANDS of documents in this
> manner so that my colleagues can easily pick up repeating entries and
> take according action.  Doing it manually is very time-inefficient.

0
bliengme (657)
8/24/2009 1:17:43 PM
Mr. Deitrick

You said:
> You don't really describe enough of your layout or what you actually mean by 'repeating entries' to
> allow a final working example[...]

And you're right, I should have explained it further.

By repeating entries, I mean identical cells within two columns.  Your
example covers this as you said "(where
the values in, for example, A3:B3 are repeated in cells A10:B10)."

I should have added that I want each repeating cell's corresponding
previous row to also be included in the new set of columns (P should
have corresponding previous row, Q and R should have repeating
information).  For example D10:E10 repeats in D20:E20 so I want not
only that to show in column Q and R, but also I want B10 and B20 to be
in column P.

Not sure I'll need:
>The important part is to come up with a formula for column C that will return TRUE or FALSE
>depending on your repeating criteria...

Thank you so much for your time.
NitWit
0
kflinspach (10)
8/24/2009 1:56:44 PM
      If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and
a clear explanation of what you want and before/after examples.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
> Mr. Deitrick
>
> You said:
>> You don't really describe enough of your layout or what you actually mean
>> by 'repeating entries' to
>> allow a final working example[...]
>
> And you're right, I should have explained it further.
>
> By repeating entries, I mean identical cells within two columns.  Your
> example covers this as you said "(where
> the values in, for example, A3:B3 are repeated in cells A10:B10)."
>
> I should have added that I want each repeating cell's corresponding
> previous row to also be included in the new set of columns (P should
> have corresponding previous row, Q and R should have repeating
> information).  For example D10:E10 repeats in D20:E20 so I want not
> only that to show in column Q and R, but also I want B10 and B20 to be
> in column P.
>
> Not sure I'll need:
>>The important part is to come up with a formula for column C that will
>>return TRUE or FALSE
>>depending on your repeating criteria...
>

> Thank you so much for your time.
> NitWit

0
dguillett1 (2487)
8/24/2009 4:39:55 PM
The firm in which I work disallows me to disclose specific information
such as is on that sheet.
I wish I could fabricate an example, but I'm not sure it would be
specific enough.
I'll have to take what information Mr. Deitrick gave me and expand
from there.

Thank you all for your time and concern
NitWit
0
kflinspach (10)
8/24/2009 5:14:05 PM
The firm in which I work disallows me to disclose specific information
such as is on that sheet.
I wish I could fabricate an example, but I'm not sure it would be
specific enough.
I'll have to take what information Mr. Deitrick gave me and expand
from there.

Thank you all for your time and concern
NitWit
0
kflinspach (10)
8/24/2009 5:14:13 PM
Forgive my above repeated message...

I hope this will help you to understand.

I have many columns of information in my spreadsheet.  The first
column (A) refers to a physical page on a physical document, the
second (B) refers to the document itself, and the third (C) correlates
to the second (B).  Column E has the type of reference book the
information on the page (column A) came from and Column F has the book
and page number of the reference book (column E).

In this spreadsheet, there are unfortunate repeat entries of Column E
and F.  I need to group them together with Columns A,B, and C so that
an analyst can pick them out and prevent redundant work on those
files.

I hope this is specific enough, and I apologize if I have confused any
of those who were trying to help my jumbled self.
0
kflinspach (10)
8/24/2009 5:24:51 PM
Select your entire data base and sort it based on column E as the first sort criteria, and column F
as the second.

Insert a new column G, and use this formula in G2:

=SUMPRODUCT(($E$2:$E$10000=E2)*($F$2:$F$10000=F2))>1

Change the two $10000 to the actual row count.

Then copy G2 down to match your data.  Then use Data / Filter... Autofilter   and select TRUE from
the dropdown at the top of column G.  That will show only the repeated values, along with the other
data associated with it.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

> Forgive my above repeated message...
>
> I hope this will help you to understand.
>
> I have many columns of information in my spreadsheet.  The first
> column (A) refers to a physical page on a physical document, the
> second (B) refers to the document itself, and the third (C) correlates
> to the second (B).  Column E has the type of reference book the
> information on the page (column A) came from and Column F has the book
> and page number of the reference book (column E).
>
> In this spreadsheet, there are unfortunate repeat entries of Column E
> and F.  I need to group them together with Columns A,B, and C so that
> an analyst can pick them out and prevent redundant work on those
> files.
>
> I hope this is specific enough, and I apologize if I have confused any
> of those who were trying to help my jumbled self.

0
Bernie
8/24/2009 6:08:48 PM
Thank you all very much.

Mr Deitrick,

As you already probably know, your example worked exquisitely.

Always,
NitWit
0
kflinspach (10)

Splitting a cell???
I have a long list of data combined in once column by cell. The data in each cell includes a phone number and address. I would like to split that data into two different cells. Is this possible and if so how? The data looks like this: (555) 555-5555 999 Broadway, Apt A etc. etc.. etc... Any advise? Brw Try <Data> <TextToColumns> Check "FixedWidth", <Next> Read the directions to move the break line to the end of the phone numbers and eliminate any others, Then <Finish> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corr...

Autofit row height in merged cells
I am producing reports that include comments, some lengthy. I need several columns for most of the report, so I need to merge cells for the comments to appear right on the printed report. Is there a way to get the row height automatically auto fit? I know this works with unmerged cells set alignment to wrap text and row height to autofit, but once I merge cells it stops working. Any help? Also, is there a way make autofit work if the cell is a formula that points to text? My apologies to the group. After searching I see someone else asked this question 11 days ago and was pointed t...

Excel to PDF
When converting Excel workbook to Acrobat some sheets are dropped without giving any error messages. How can I fix this ? I am using windows 95, Office 97 and Adobe Acrobat 4. ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

visible cell only

Using part of a cell in a chart title

Excel 2007