excel 2003 crashing at shutdown

My Excel 2003 is crashing about every other time that I
shut it down.  Does anyone have a fix for this ?

Thanks,
Lynn
0
lmc (56)
7/22/2011 4:55:40 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Just some guesses...

First, does it crash only when you're editing a specific workbook (or a specific
set of workbooks)?

If yes, then I'd check to see what those workbooks have in common -- maybe a
misbehaving macro????

If it crashes with all/any workbook, then I'd try rebuilding my toolbar.

Close excel
use windows search to look for *.xlb
and delete all that you find (or move them to a safe location if you're worried)

And remember to look through hidden folders, too.  People can have trouble
finding them.

If you can't find your files using windows start button|Search, then you could
use an old DOS command to search and delete/move them

Windows Start button|Run
type:
CMD
(to get to the Command prompt)

C:
(to get to the C: drive--change this to the drive that excel is installed on)

cd\
(to get to the root directory)

dir *.xlb /s

The /s says to search subfolders, too.

(There could be multiple *.xlb files depending on your excel upgrade path.)

Then restart excel a few times to see if it crashes when you exit.  If excel
behaves nicely, rebuild your toolbars the way you like.

If excel still crashes, then you can either rebuild your toolbar or put the
original toolbar (*.xlb) back to the correct folder.

============
If it turns out that there's a macro that's causing trouble, you may want to
read more about finding those problems.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

Essentially, you'll turn off all the addins/startup workbooks and then open
excel.  And then turn on each addin (closing and reopening) one at a time to
find the culprit.

--
Dave Peterson
0

Close excel (all running programs you can see, actually)
hit Flying windows|r (to see the Run dialog)
Type:
%temp%

And delete as much as you can.

Then back to see if it helped excel's crashes.

--
Dave Peterson
0
On 7/23/2011 6:10 AM, Dave Peterson wrote:
> Just some guesses...
>
> First, does it crash only when you're editing a specific workbook (or a specific set of workbooks)?
>
> If yes, then I'd check to see what those workbooks have in common -- maybe a misbehaving macro????
>
> If it crashes with all/any workbook, then I'd try rebuilding my toolbar.
>
> Close excel
> use windows search to look for *.xlb
> and delete all that you find (or move them to a safe location if you're worried)
>
> And remember to look through hidden folders, too. People can have trouble
> finding them.
>
> If you can't find your files using windows start button|Search, then you could
> use an old DOS command to search and delete/move them
>
> Windows Start button|Run
> type:
> CMD
> (to get to the Command prompt)
>
> C:
> (to get to the C: drive--change this to the drive that excel is installed on)
>
> cd\
> (to get to the root directory)
>
> dir *.xlb /s
>
> The /s says to search subfolders, too.
>
> (There could be multiple *.xlb files depending on your excel upgrade path.)
>
> Then restart excel a few times to see if it crashes when you exit. If excel behaves nicely, rebuild your toolbars the way you like.
>
> If excel still crashes, then you can either rebuild your toolbar or put the original toolbar (*.xlb) back to the correct folder.
>
> ============
> If it turns out that there's a macro that's causing trouble, you may want to read more about finding those problems.
>
> Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose errors:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm
>
> And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
> http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp
>
> Essentially, you'll turn off all the addins/startup workbooks and then open
> excel. And then turn on each addin (closing and reopening) one at a time to
> find the culprit.

I have no addins.

Excel 2003 crashes after editing any notebook.

I do have a File menu but my Edit, View through Help
menus no longer work.

I cleaned my temp directory.

I am looking for *.xlb files.

Lynn

0
lmc (56)
7/25/2011 5:05:49 PM
On 7/25/2011 12:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 7/23/2011 6:10 AM, Dave Peterson wrote:
>> Just some guesses...
>>
>> First, does it crash only when you're editing a specific workbook (or a specific set of workbooks)?
>>
>> If yes, then I'd check to see what those workbooks have in common -- maybe a misbehaving macro????
>>
>> If it crashes with all/any workbook, then I'd try rebuilding my toolbar.
>>
>> Close excel
>> use windows search to look for *.xlb
>> and delete all that you find (or move them to a safe location if you're worried)
>>
>> And remember to look through hidden folders, too. People can have trouble
>> finding them.
>>
>> If you can't find your files using windows start button|Search, then you could
>> use an old DOS command to search and delete/move them
>>
>> Windows Start button|Run
>> type:
>> CMD
>> (to get to the Command prompt)
>>
>> C:
>> (to get to the C: drive--change this to the drive that excel is installed on)
>>
>> cd\
>> (to get to the root directory)
>>
>> dir *.xlb /s
>>
>> The /s says to search subfolders, too.
>>
>> (There could be multiple *.xlb files depending on your excel upgrade path.)
>>
>> Then restart excel a few times to see if it crashes when you exit. If excel behaves nicely, rebuild your toolbars the way you like.
>>
>> If excel still crashes, then you can either rebuild your toolbar or put the original toolbar (*.xlb) back to the correct folder.
>>
>> ============
>> If it turns out that there's a macro that's causing trouble, you may want to read more about finding those problems.
>>
>> Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose errors:
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm
>>
>> And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
>> http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp
>>
>> Essentially, you'll turn off all the addins/startup workbooks and then open
>> excel. And then turn on each addin (closing and reopening) one at a time to
>> find the culprit.
>
> I have no addins.
>
> Excel 2003 crashes after editing any notebook.
>
> I do have a File menu but my Edit, View through Help
> menus no longer work.
>
> I cleaned my temp directory.
>
> I am looking for *.xlb files.

Hey, deleting the excel11.xlb file worked !

Thanks,
Lynn

0
lmc (56)

Appending Excel data into an Access table while inserting the file name
I have a loop in an Access 2003 database that appends records from multiple Excel files within a given directory. The name of each Excel file cycles through one variable (ImpFileName) as its records are imported, but I also need to add the Excel file name to each record. I wanted to assign the value of ImpFileName to the DefaultValue property of the FileName field in the table as part of the DoWhile loop, but something is wrong with my syntax. My code is below, but only works if I comment out the line that assigns the DefaultValue property. Any help would be much appreciated! Dim tdf...

don't insert quotes in excel save as tab-delim txt
I wish to export from an excel spreadsheet file to a tab-delimited text file - WITH NO QUOTES around any of the entries. They are not necessary, because tabs - not commas are the delimiters. I was quite disappointed that from changing to the older version of excel, which had a configurable export function, where I could specify "no quotes please" to excel 2000, I cannot specify this. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the...

Converting an Excel formula to an Access query formula
Hi All, In our office we are using Touchpaper Helpdesk (effectively its a database for Call logging in a Telephony centre). In the data tables it records dates as a large Integer .i.e the date 24/05/2004 appears in the database tables as 131335448. I am using Microsoft Access 97 to connect to the tables through ODBC and it works fine however I want to search on data between dates however I have only calculated a formula in Excel. Below is the formula in Excel that converts the date integer into a usuable date format of "dd/mm/yyyy" , note that the field [DB DATE ENCODED FIEL...

Simplify excel formula
I have this very long formula and need to simplify it =IF(Type="P",VLOOKUP(Player,Fees_Table,2,FALSE),IF(Type="A",VLOOKUP(A_Person,Fees_Table,2,FALSE),IF(Type="M",VLOOKUP(Player,Fees_Table,2,FALSE)))) If anyone could help I would be on happy girl thanks Hi! >very long formula LOL! <g> You can eliminate the last lookup since it uses the same arguments as the first lookup: =IF(OR(Type={"P","M"}),VLOOKUP(Player,Fees_Table,2,FALSE),IF(Type="A",VLOOKUP(A_Person,Fees_Table,2,FALSE))) Biff "Lulu" <Lulu@discussio...

Is it possible to enlarge fonts in Outlook 2003 Navigation Pane?
Hello, I have a user with a visual disability and she needs big fonts. Recently, she has said her navigation pane has gone back to the default font settings and she needs them to be large again. Note: she wants to change only her Outlook view; she is resisting going to the display settings and using large fonts there. I need to know if this is possible to do, without making everything in her windows setup large. I don't see an option to attach a screen shot, so here is a link to show what area I'm talking about. <a href="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/44408...

Default Contact List OL-2003
How do I change the default Contact List accessed under "Show Names from the:" section after Clicking on the "To:" option while creating a new Message in Outlook 2003? Open the Address Book, then Tools->Options and set your preferred list from there. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Joseph asked: | How do I change the default Contact List accessed under "Show Names | from the:"...

How do I show hidden column and row headings in excel?
How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? Excel displays only unhidden rows and columns, and their headings. But if you make the width or height small enough, it might still be possible to see the heading and not the data. However, this becomes more difficult as you move to column AB or row 101. "Mildred" <Mildred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D83F4B-289A-49A6-9057-23365EAFB300@microsoft.com... > How can I display hidden column and row headings in excel? ...

2003 service account in wrong domain???
Exchange 2003 - the server was built in the root ABC domain. the service account was created in the DEF domain where exchange was installed and all user accounts are. My cohort told me (and management) that this was wrong and would cause permission problems down the line. Management now wants me to rip out exchange and do it again - even though it's in production all ready. Is this going to cause a problem - I do not see where not having the service account at the root domain is wrong, but I am new to this so would like as many responses as possible. It took me 3 months of many long ...

Calendar changes in Outlook 2003 not showing up following mailbox move
We have recently migrated some of our users from our native Exchange 2000 Server over to Exchange 2003. All clients are using Outlook 2003. Previously, the admin would keep the calendars of her two managers open within her own calendar pane, and new meeting agendas that she sent would appear immediately as "tenative" on the calendars of her two managers. However, after migrating her and her managers to the new Exchange 2003 server, her managers' calendar isn't being updated automatically nor immediately. (if at all). If she sets meeting agendas for users still on the olde...

problem launching excel #2
I am using MSOFFXP ... I cannot get excel to come up by double clicking on my file....I hav to launch the excel program, click on open find the file and the select it... even if excel is running minimized clicking on a file in the explore will not open that file...the only way for me to open my files is b going through the excel program... my word program works as advertised... any suggestions?? Thanks \\ G -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: goto 'Tools-Options-General " and uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try a...

Can I Customize Outlook 2003 Map Link?
In the Outlook 2003 contact form, the "map link" button attempts to display the location of the contact based on the address information. This feature used to work well, but lately it is extremely slow and often doesn't produce results. I would prefer to use Google Maps. Is there a registry entry I can use to accomplish this? The page http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/displaymap.htm describes how to do this for earlier Outlook versions but this appears to break Outlook 2003. Do I have a workable option? AFAIK, you cannot customize it. it's reportedly broken for older v...

CDO crashes OL 2003
Hello, I've installed Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 and additionally CDO Hotfix KB818709 solving interworking problems with Outlook 2003. CDO works fine as long as I use OL Xp or ealier or do not start OL 2003 on the same development system. If OL2003 is started then the following simple CDO code crashes OL 2003 when accessing the basic session properties: Dim oCdoSession: Set oCdoSession CreateObject("MAPI.Session") oCdoSession.Logon "", "", False, False msgbox oCdoSession.Name & " " & oCdoSession.CurentUser.Name After OL crashes the oCdoSessi...

How to disable auto-balance in Money 2003
How do I disable this feature? ...

Unable to open/expand the file menu
When in Word I am unable to open/expand the file menu. It just highlights the word "File" but nothing happens when I click on it. All other menu's work just fine. I have ran a detect/repair but that did not work. Any help would be appreciated. Go to Tools > Customize > Toolbars. Select "Menu Bar" in the list and click the Reset button. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. butter wrote: > When in Word...

In Excel, using line wrap with text, some cells will appear as ##.
In Excel, using line wrap for text, some cells will appear as ######### on one line. Attempts to correct the problem by re-entering the format (text-line wrap checked-top alignment) do not work. Even copying the style from a "good" wrapped cell does not correct the problem. If it has to do with column width, double-click on the line between the column with the ### and the one to right, you 'll expand the column, exposing the full number. EX: cell A1 has ####, so position the cursor between the A and the B column headers, on the line until the cursor turns into a black lin...

News in Go-Menu in Outlook 2003
News has disappeared from the Go-menu in Outlook 2003 and I cannot restore it becuause the command is no longer available in the Customize - Commands menu. Any help would be much appreciated. AA Make sure Outlook Express is set as the default newsreader in Control Panel-> Internet Options-> tab Programs For additional solutions see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/news.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Anthony Allport" <an...

Exporting users from Exchange 2003
We have a production domain with windows 2000 and exchange 2003. I have setup a test domain which is completed isolated from the production domain, but it has the same domain name. Its used for testing. I have setup an exchange server 2003 on the test domain. The test domain has no users and mailboxes setup, so its difficult to do any testing like exchange 2003 DR. Is there anyway I can export users and mailboxes from AD and in exchange 2003 from the production domain into the test domain. This way would make it easier then just to create mailboxes. On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:41:25 ...

Making invoices from inventory on Excel
I have all my inventoy on a spreadsheet but I want to be able to create invoices for my small business. DOes Excel have that ability or do this or I need to purchase another program? I need to create very basic costumer invoices but I do need the ability to discount items for sales asnd such....Any help would be great. Hi you may search Google for 'excel invoice template' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Joey2509" <joey2509@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:20041116063310.06154.00000390@mb-m21.aol.com... > I have all my inventoy on a spreadsheet but ...

Excel 07 to Access 03 ??
Can I import a large (794,000 rows) Excel 2007 file into Access 2003? ...

Import more than one .csv file into the same Excel file.
I have several .csv files which were created by saving data from Word forms. I want to be able to import all the files into the same Excel file. I have used the Get External data, Import text file commands to import the first, but this is not available to import the second. If I choose the Edit import option it replaces the row of data I already have from my first import. I am using Excel 2003. Why dont you merge the .csv files together using MS- DOS copy command. --Copy all .csv files to a single folder (say c:\temp\) --From command line type the command copy c:\temp\*.csv c...

Formating excel fields to access format fields
Hi all, Is it possible to make any equivalency between the type format of access to the type format of the excel i face this problem when trying to append excel linked table one type format that was the more problematic was to find the correct type format in the excel to adinteger(3) that is accually long integer,it was all the time giving the type format of double(5) any comments for this matter and in global to the type format matter Hi Donica, can you expatiate please the meaning of unique number i didnt understand it so much can you show me examples as well? Donica =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91: &...

Anyone know how to do this in Excel?
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/466/excel7no.jp -- Funky ----------------------------------------------------------------------- FunkyT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=699 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48219 I am sure loads of people do, but if you are not going to be more explicit than that I cannot see them bothering. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "FunkyT" <FunkyT.1xz7zy_1131114601.8369@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:FunkyT.1xz7zy_...

2000 migrate to 2003
I have a 2000 AD and Exchange 2000 site that wants to upgrade to 2003. We are planning to use new equipment for the exchange server and a file server, and reuse 4 additional servers. What is the best practice upgrade the exchange server first or the AD Doesn't make much difference, especially if you are planning to upgrade both within a short time frame. However, either way, I'd recommend to run Exchange 2003 Forestprep first. That way, if you do decide to upgrade your DC's to Windows 2003 first, you won't end up with mangled attributes. http://support.microsoft.com/def...

Outlook 2003 crashes when I trying to print mails
Hi Folks!!, I have a issue with Outlook 2003. When I open a mail to print it causes a crash and Outlook is closed with a error message. I have locked on event viewer and I can see the next error: Tipo de suceso: Error Origen del suceso: Microsoft Office 11 Categor�a del suceso: Ninguno Id. suceso: 1000 Fecha: 13/03/2009 Hora: 13:30:31 Usuario: No disponible Descripci�n: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8169.0, stamp 465f28e3, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2600.0, stamp 3b842046, debug? 0, fault address 0x001e9b62. Para obtener m�s informaci�n, vea el Centro de ayu...

office 2007 excel
i want to customize my toolbar by adding two buttons like making a macro toolbar that has two options below it .can anyone help? Hi Thomas Take a look at Ron de Bruin's site http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- Regards Roger Govier "thomas" <thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4967D479-51D4-4770-8F3D-95C79FE0344B@microsoft.com... >i want to customize my toolbar by adding two buttons like making a macro > toolbar that has two options below it .can anyone help? ...