Excel 2003 - Changing FirstName LastName to LastName, Firstname

Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column
of names of the format:

FirstName LastName

I want to convert them to the format:

LastName, FirstName

Is this possible in Excel 2003?

Thanks very much -
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Assume they start in A1, insert a new column B or use the one you
have if it is empty, then in B1 put

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)&", "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

press enter

Select B1 again, move the cursor to the lower right corner of B1 and when it
changes
from a thick cross to a think double click and copy down the formula.
Select the help column (B) and copy and paste special as values in place.

Finally after checking that everything is as you want delete column A

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Guest3731" <notconfusedaboutthattoday@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column
> of names of the format:
>
> FirstName LastName
>
> I want to convert them to the format:
>
> LastName, FirstName
>
> Is this possible in Excel 2003?
>
> Thanks very much -

0
terre081 (3244)
6/16/2008 2:57:56 PM
=MID(A1&", "&A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1)+2)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Guest3731" <notconfusedaboutthattoday@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column
> of names of the format:
>
> FirstName LastName
>
> I want to convert them to the format:
>
> LastName, FirstName
>
> Is this possible in Excel 2003?
>
> Thanks very much -

0
BobNGs (423)
6/16/2008 3:49:48 PM
If however reality bites and you encounter names like
Dr. John Luis Wallace Montgomery Jr.
then it gets a little more complicated. See
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2005/02/03/parse-names-with-outlook-array-formula/
for a (also  a little more complicated) solution to that.

Best wishes Harald

"Guest3731" <notconfusedaboutthattoday@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi - quick question, if you have a moment - I've got a (tall) column
> of names of the format:
>
> FirstName LastName
>
> I want to convert them to the format:
>
> LastName, FirstName