Excel 2003 adds extra quotes to CSV upon resaving

I have a CSV that when viewed in notepad has the following 2 lines

"R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0"
"R1","L","2","","N","4",":4","0"

but no matter if i open in by double-clicking or importing the data into a
blank worksheet, then resaving, when i open the CSV in notepad, it comes out
looking like this, with extra quotes, rather than just the quoting following
along with the original 2 lines.

"""R1"",""J"",""3"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""
"""R1"",""L"",""2"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""

I can't figure this out for the life of me.  Can someone help?  this would
be GREATLY appreciated!!

0
Rich (271)
3/20/2009 1:01:42 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If I have all this:
"R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0"
in a single cell, and then save as a .csv file, I get exactly what you describe.

So I'm guessing that your CSV file isn't being parsed into separate columns.

I'd check to make sure that my windows list separator (under the control panel's
regional settings applet) is really using a comma (a semicolon is common outside
the USA).

Or I'd import the file (all the data going into column A) and parse it myself
(data|Text to columns in xl2003 menus).

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> If I have all this:
> "R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0"
> in a single cell, and then save as a .csv file, I get exactly what you describe.
>
> So I'm guessing that your CSV file isn't being parsed into separate columns.
>
> I'd check to make sure that my windows list separator (under the control panel's
> regional settings applet) is really using a comma (a semicolon is common outside
> the USA).
>
> Or I'd import the file (all the data going into column A) and parse it myself
> (data|Text to columns in xl2003 menus).
>
> Rich wrote:
> >
> > I have a CSV that when viewed in notepad has the following 2 lines
> >
> > "R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0"
> > "R1","L","2","","N","4",":4","0"
> >
> > but no matter if i open in by double-clicking or importing the data into a
> > blank worksheet, then resaving, when i open the CSV in notepad, it comes out
> > looking like this, with extra quotes, rather than just the quoting following
> > along with the original 2 lines.
> >
> > """R1"",""J"",""3"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""
> > """R1"",""L"",""2"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""
> >
> > I can't figure this out for the life of me.  Can someone help?  this would
> > be GREATLY appreciated!!
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
Rich (271)
3/20/2009 12:29:01 PM
I don't have a guess.

When I open a comma delimited with quotes around the field, each field goes into
separate columns (like you get), but the quotes around the fields are removed,
too.

I use xl2003, too.

--

Dave Peterson
0

It's not clear what you want to do with this file?  Why open it as a CSV
file and then save it back as a CSV file from inside Excel?

If you want to parse the data in Excel select the data and choose Data, Text
to Columns and proceed.  When the data is in multiple columns save it back
as a CSV file.

If this helps, please click the Yes button,

cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a CSV that when viewed in notepad has the following 2 lines
>
> "R1","J","3","","N","4",":4","0"
> "R1","L","2","","N","4",":4","0"
>
> but no matter if i open in by double-clicking or importing the data into a
> blank worksheet, then resaving, when i open the CSV in notepad, it comes
> out
> looking like this, with extra quotes, rather than just the quoting
> following
> along with the original 2 lines.
>
> """R1"",""J"",""3"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""
> """R1"",""L"",""2"","""",""N"",""4"","":4"",""0"""
>
> I can't figure this out for the life of me.  Can someone help?  this would
> be GREATLY appreciated!!

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

"View Image Slide Show"

The opposite of the "sort" function
I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? see http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/samplenoreplace.html In article <1174843249.583556.129830@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, lucavilla@cashette.com wrote: > I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. > Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? Exellent solution! thanks! Let's say your data in A1:A10 In B1: =RAND() copy from B1 to B10 Select A1:B10 > Data > Sort > Sort by select Column B > select As...

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

learning Excel #3