Excel 2002 Column Widths & Printing

Excel column widths are starting to confuse me!

I have a workbook containing several sheets.  The sheets are not identical
and have differing numbers of columns, e.g. some sheets have 9 columns,
whilst others have 11 or 14.

The margins for each sheet are exactly the same with 0 set for header and
footer.  The printer setup for each page calls for 100% normal size, A4, 1
page wide by 1 page tall.  The correct print area is set for each sheet.

The various column widths for each sheet, when added together, are identical
(86 units in this case, although what the 'units' are, I do not know).  I
always check using print preview to ensure that the full width of the
document will print, and reduce the column widths if the preview shows the
right-hand edge clipped.

I've just had to reduce the column widths on one sheet (9 columns wide) as
the print preview showed its right-hand edge clipped.  I reduced the column
widths by the minimum necessary for the print preview to show it printing
fully.  However, when I printed the sheet out, it printed 10mm narrower than
one of the other sheets (14 columns wide) printed on the same printer at the
same time.

Rather bizarrely, I sometimes find that on re-opening an Excel document
where I previously had to reduce the column widths for it to print fully, I
can increase the column widths again, and it still prints OK.

Am I missing something here?  Is there something else that influences column
width, or some parameter that I have not set correctly?  Does, for example,
Excel increase a column width automatically, if the text in a cell is too
wide to print?
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Mike,
When you indicate     1  page wide by 1 page tall.
Excel will force it to fit on one page.  The settings are independent of
each other,  so you could get a big variation depending on how many
rows you have.

If the printing is too small you may wish to employ some additional
techniques,  such as fitting all of the columns to the data,  turning on
text wrapping.

Fit Print to Page, and Adjustments to Layout
 http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fitprint.htm

Not sure but I think the fonts are adjusted to integer fontsizes.

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,  Microsoft MVP -- Excel

David McRitchie wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> When you indicate     1  page wide by 1 page tall.
> Excel will force it to fit on one page.  The settings are independent
> of each other,  so you could get a big variation depending on how
> many rows you have.
>
> If the printing is too small you may wish to employ some additional
> techniques,  such as fitting all of the columns to the data,  turning on
> text wrapping.
>
> Fit Print to Page, and Adjustments to Layout
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fitprint.htm
>
> Not sure but I think the fonts are adjusted to integer fontsizes.

Hi Dave, thanks for the info.

Is there an easy way to ascertain the total width in column units of a
particular worksheet, other than interrogating each column in turn and
adding the width units together?

What is a column width unit (or a row height unit, for that matter)?  Is it
something I can set, e.g. I column width unit = 1.0mm?
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your
reply-

Row heights are measured in points or pixels.  There are 72 points to an inch
and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

http://snipurl.com/dzz8

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm.

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbawssetrowcol

To get column width use this UDF

Function colwidth(x)
    Application.Volatile
    colwidth = x.ColumnWidth
End Function

=colwidth(A1)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:53:46 +0100, "mlv" <mike.safetycatchvincent@jet.co.uk>
wrote:

>David McRitchie wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>> When you indicate     1  page wide by 1 page tall.
>> Excel will force it to fit on one page.  The settings are independent
>> of each other,  so you could get a big variation depending on how
>> many rows you have.
>>
>> If the printing is too small you may wish to employ some additional
>> techniques,  such as fitting all of the columns to the data,  turning on
>> text wrapping.
>>
>> Fit Print to Page, and Adjustments to Layout
>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fitprint.htm
>>
>> Not sure but I think the fonts are adjusted to integer fontsizes.
>
>Hi Dave, thanks for the info.
>
>Is there an easy way to ascertain the total width in column units of a
>particular worksheet, other than interrogating each column in turn and
>adding the width units together?
>
>What is a column width unit (or a row height unit, for that matter)?  Is it
>something I can set, e.g. I column width unit = 1.0mm?

0
Gord

Excel Regional Date Format Options
A client of ours in NZ is complaining that date format options for English (New Zealand) have changed from older versions of excel (they are using 2003) Some of their spreadsheets have dates formatted as dd-mmm-yy, mmm-yy and dddd,dd,mmm but these options do not exist anymore. Is there anyway to add options to this list without using the custom format option? Thanks, Jesse I just compared the Excel 97 and Excel 2003 built-in date formats and they are mostly unchanged. 2003 has a few more but I don't think there were any subtractions. The formats dd-mmm-yy and mmm-yy are righ...

Lowest entry in a column
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to automatically use the last/lowest entry in a column? I don't want to sort the cells, or choose the Maximum or Minimum - I just need to use the bottom entry in a column automatically in a formula I'll create somewhere else on the spreadsheet. It thought it would be in the functions list somewhere, but it has eluded me! Thanks, Astley Suppose A is the column in question, use the following formula to refer to the last cell: =INDIRECT("A"&COUNT(A:A)) Mangesh "Astley" <ast@exemail.com.au> wrote in message ne...

Excel is creating temp files Help!!!
Hi i have to files in excel, i cant figure it out, whenever i open th files, they create temp files into the same location, when i shut dow the program the temp files are left there. Is their a way to make it so temp files are not saved. Or is their a way to make it so that the creation of temp files i turned off. Thanks jaso -- greenfalco ----------------------------------------------------------------------- greenfalcon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1362 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26182 What do th...

print a record in form view
I am building a form and have inserted an event procedure to have the form print one record at a time and it will only print a blank piece of paper. This is my code, can anyone tell me what they think is wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. rivate Sub cmdPrint_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdPrint_Click DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.PrintOut acSelection Exit_cmdPrint_Click: Exit Sub Err_cmdPrint_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_cmdPrint_Click End Sub Assuming that the line rivate Sub cmdPrint_Click() is only missi...

user created shapes non printing
I started have a problem with vision 2002 that I have not noticed before. When I create a new shape, by default, it assumes the non-printing properly under FORMAT � BEHAVIOR. Also if I group a set of "printing" shapes the group will become non-printing. Can I change this behavior? How are you creating the new shape? Also are you using layers in your document? -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Robert" <hammer_757@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9ec427f7.0409231005.576...

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

stacked column with total
I created a stacked column chart with 2 series. I'd like to show the total value on top each bar. Right now, show value displays each value of independently. For example, I have a bar showing 3 and 2 stacked but I would like to show 5 (3+2) on the top bar. I've seen on someone graph before. I can't recreate it. Pls help. Thanks Mat Mat Check here http://andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS www.nickhodge.co.uk "matelot" <matelot@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Excel sheet truncated after copying to powerpoint slide
Hi, We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is changed. We can see only some part of the sheet. Let me know if anybody faced this problem.. Thanks in advance Shekar. Debra Dalgleish posted this link that you may want to review: http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00068.htm Microsoft wrote: > > Hi, > > We are using Office 2000 with sp3. When we copy excel sheet to power point > slide, some of the rows and colums are truncated. Also the font size is > changed. We can s...

How to create a connection point in Excel
When I group autoshapes the group itself does not have connection points. A connector connects to one of the grouped shapes instead. So, the connector beginconnecedshape (or endconnectedshape) property contains the name of the contained shape and not the name of the group. Is there a way to create connection points for a group? Alternatively, is it possible to change a group into a single shape with connection points? ...

Count problems[Excel 97]
Hi there, I did a search on the forum to find an answer to my question but didn' find anything. Here is my prob : Lets say I got this page-> ___a___b_____c__d__ 1 Name Type Job bla 2 Name Type Job bla 3 Name Type Job bla 4 Name Type Job bla 5 Name Type Job bob I want a Cell to write how many row I got( 5 in this exemple) and onl count the cells with bla in the D column(4 in this exemple). Sorry if I'm not really clear but if you can help me feel free t answer :) thx, Tulkas -- Tulka -----------------------------------------------------------...

Viewing an Excel sheet w/out all the empty fields...
How do you create a spreadsheet that only shows the fileds with data in them? -How do you get rid of all the empty rows/columns, to ease viewing for those who are easily confused by excel spreadsheets? (I don't know how else to emaplin my question... I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible...) Please help... Hi! >I just don't want the extra columns & rows there, if that's possible... Just hide them! Suppose the last column in your sheet that contains data is column H. You can hide columns I:IV so that after column H all you ...

Data from Access query to Excel
To pull data from an Access 2003 database, I have created the queries in Access, then import into Excel. The problem is that all the numbers that are pulled into Excel are text and need to convert them into numbers to run formulas on. I have converted a few sheets by hand, but, some have will over 50,000 rows. Is there a function to select all number colums (the colums are the same through out the sheets) and convert? Thanks There are instructions here for converting text to numbers: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html You can select all the columns, and only the num...

Excel question #9
Is there a way that I can transpose the order of the values in a cell? For example I have the values of 10.200.13.1 in a cell and I want to transpose(not sure if that is the correct term or not) the order of the values in the cell so that they appear as 1.13.200.10. thanks for any help as I have literally 4 pages of these kind of values that I have to flip. -- Brian blanktree at hotmail dot com Hi try the following user defined function from John Walkenbach's book Excel 2000 formulas (great resource by the way): Option Explicit Function REVERSETEXT(text) As String ' R...

How to view the code for excel built-in functions?
Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). thanks. No, the code is compiled, so it would likely be less than useful anyway. About the best you can do is check out the equations used in Help (see "PV"). In article <OSU3OXOBGHA.1676@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "serdar" <s@s.com> wrote: > Is it possible? -For example the function PMT(). > thanks. ...

outlook 2007 monthly calendar six column?
Just converted to Outlook 2007 from 2003, where I could print a monthly calendar with 6 columns: Mon Tue Wed Th Fri Sat/Sun. This freed up some width per column, b/c the weekend days were consolidated. Can't seem to do this with '07. The columns are too skinny (even on landscape) and I can't read appts. Advice? Thx Try the calendar printing assistant or word template- see http://slipstick.me/calprint for links. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ ...

Excel color palette missing colors
Opening a workbook with text formatted in color (orange) defaults to gray. Examination of the color palette shows that that shade of orange is missing from the palette itself. Exiting Excel and restarting it sometimes solves the problem. Text rendered in orange is orange again and the color swatch is back in the palette. User has tried rebooting the system too. ...

Combo Columns
I've created a combo box on a form in Access using 2 columns. The first column is hidden so the second column is the only one displayed in the combo box. When I then use that combo as the source in a separate text box the answered returned is the first column. Any idea how I get the second column information instead? -- Cheers. Paul ...

How do I convert time (hh:mm) to value ($$) in Excel?
Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =3.5*60*100 "ahfen79" wrote: > Would like to calculate cost of time. Eg. Cost for production down time per > minute is $100. Says production doen for 3.5 hrs, what is formula shall I > apply in order to generate the cost (in $$). =(3.5/24)*60*100 -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "ahfen79" <ahfen79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both
Combine 2 rows if name is same in Column B & C on both 2 spreadsheets - Sheet 1 is bigger with extra names in column B & C Lastname Firstname Both - Column B & C Lastname Firstname - both sheets Sheet 1 has data in Col. D & E Sheet 2 has data in Col. F & G Sheet 1 has extra names not in Sheet 2 If Sheet 1 B&C = Sheet 2 B&C , then add F&G columns from sheet 2 , behind D& E columns on sheet 1 , for the match of names in Column B & C Thanks kerns.walter@epa.gov On Nov 13, 12:50 pm, wk <kerns.wal...@epa.gov> wrote: > Combine 2 rows if name...

Where can I get UNLIMITED Excel stock qoutes?
The Excel Add-in that allows you to retrieve stock qoutes is limited in taht it only allows you to get about 250 qoutes at a time. How can I get unlimited qoutes in a format compatible with excel? Z There's a program called Historical Stock Quotes which can create tab or comma delimited files that can be read into Excel. If you want something that updates automatically within Excel, you may have to buy an add-in. Have you searched the web? On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:18:23 -0800, ZouBCivil <ZouBCivil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The Excel Add-in that allows you to retriev...

Excel and NPV
Hi, I have a problem regarding the NPV function on Excel. Does anyone know how to use the function if the interest rate changes over a period of 20 years. Say for example, for the first 8 years the interest rate is 8%, then for the next 5 it's 12%, and for the last 7 it's 14%. It would be great if any one can me with this! thanks! As far as I can tell, there is no way you can vary the discount rate in the NPV function in Excel. In fact it is very difficult to model this in any calculation tool. Here is an interesting article which may help you see the difficulty; http://...

Paths to becoming an Excel Expert
Dear community I am a retired accountant, and have used Excel for many years, including power user, macro and VBA development. I would like to specialise in this field + maybe delivering Excel training, maybe offering my services as a freelance. What is the best path to develop this expertise? Is there a worthwhile Microsoft Certification route - which I find confusing? And finally is it worth sticking with VBA which seems to be on the back burner now? Thanks for any suggestions. First, some links to several "Excel Experts" www.chandoo.org www.peltiertech.co...

How to change default printing parameters on Excel & ......
How to change the default printing parameters on Excel & keep them changed for future workbooks. Example: Normally I use Printing margins 0.25 on all directions, but default printing margins are 0.75. I want to change them to set 0.25 as DEFAULT. If you start a new workbook and change the page layout (for all the sheets), you can save it into your XLStart folder as Book.xlt. Excel will use that as the basis for new workbooks. You can change a lot of settings that way--including orientation, headers/footers.... Amjad wrote: > > How to change the default printing parameters ...

Excel 'hangs' when deleting a row
when i delete a row in excel 2000, everything locks up! and when lookup at Task Manager/Processes, it's MEM USAGE goes up to 22K o more! i tried doing it in another file but i experienced no error. the dat is in LAN. all data are filtered when the deletion began. however i ca delete files before. please help, anyone.... -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The best thing is to free up memory (assuming your file is large). Clos all applications you do not require at the time and any workbooks no in use. Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...