Easy way to delete columns?

I've got a workbook with 5 sheets in it. Each sheet has a large number of
columns. On some of the columns, there is no data on the whole sheet except
for row 1 (the header, or title of the column). Is there an easy way I can
tell Excel to remove the columns that have no data on any row (except row
1)? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if there is some backend interface or
"language" (like SQL maybe?) or something that could take care of something
such as this.

-ee99ee

0
cmiller (5)
1/19/2004 5:13:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On each sheet, assuming you can use row 2 to determine delete / not delete based
on blank / not blank.  Select the whole of row 2 by clicking on the row header
at the left.  Do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, then do Edit / Delete / Entire
Column.

Just repeat on the other 4 sheets.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"Chris Miller" <cmiller@compuville.net> wrote in message
> I've got a workbook with 5 sheets in it. Each sheet has a large number of
> columns. On some of the columns, there is no data on the whole sheet except
> for row 1 (the header, or title of the column). Is there an easy way I can
> tell Excel to remove the columns that have no data on any row (except row
> 1)? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if there is some backend interface or
> "language" (like SQL maybe?) or something that could take care of something
> such as this.
>
> -ee99ee

---

ken.wright (2489)
1/19/2004 5:34:33 PM
Wow... you guys really know you're Excel (wonder why, it being an Excel
newgroup and all :P). Thanks!!

-ee99ee

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On each sheet, assuming you can use row 2 to determine delete / not delete
based
> on blank / not blank.  Select the whole of row 2 by clicking on the row
header
> at the left.  Do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, then do Edit / Delete /
Entire
> Column.
>
> Just repeat on the other 4 sheets.
>
> --
> Regards
>            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
>                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

> It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
>

> "Chris Miller" <cmiller@compuville.net> wrote in message
> > I've got a workbook with 5 sheets in it. Each sheet has a large number
of
> > columns. On some of the columns, there is no data on the whole sheet
except
> > for row 1 (the header, or title of the column). Is there an easy way I
can
> > tell Excel to remove the columns that have no data on any row (except
row
> > 1)? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if there is some backend interface
or
> > "language" (like SQL maybe?) or something that could take care of
something
> > such as this.
> >
> > -ee99ee
> >

> ---

cmiller (5)
1/19/2004 6:19:45 PM
My pleasure :-)

--

> Wow... you guys really know you're Excel (wonder why, it being an Excel
> newgroup and all :P). Thanks!!
>
> -ee99ee
>
> "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > On each sheet, assuming you can use row 2 to determine delete / not delete
> based
> > on blank / not blank.  Select the whole of row 2 by clicking on the row
> header
> > at the left.  Do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, then do Edit / Delete /
> Entire
> > Column.
> >
> > Just repeat on the other 4 sheets.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >            Ken.......................    Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

> > It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-)
> >

> > "Chris Miller" <cmiller@compuville.net> wrote in message
> > > I've got a workbook with 5 sheets in it. Each sheet has a large number
> of
> > > columns. On some of the columns, there is no data on the whole sheet
> except
> > > for row 1 (the header, or title of the column). Is there an easy way I
> can
> > > tell Excel to remove the columns that have no data on any row (except
> row
> > > 1)? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not sure if there is some backend interface
> or
> > > "language" (like SQL maybe?) or something that could take care of
> something
> > > such as this.
> > >
> > > -ee99ee
> > >

> > ---

---

ken.wright (2489)

Can I delete parts of Office?
I recently loaded Office 2004 on my iBook but want to conserve hard drive space for an app i just picked up, and was thinking about deleting all the MS apps except for Word and Excel. Can I do this without messing up Word and Excel to the point that I need to reinstall? I would just try it, but I'm away from home and don't have access to my Office install CD. Any help that could be provided would be great. Thanks <beau.keyes@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently loaded Office 2004 on my iBook but want to conserve hard > drive space for an app i just picked up, and was thinki...

***Delete UNREAD email >90 Days (Exchange 2003)
I'm trying to delete all UNREAD emails older then 90 Days. Recipient Policy will only let me select the date but there isn't a selection for UNREAD emails. Exchange 5.5 Cleanup Agent (I think that's what it was called) had a check box for UNREAD emails. Is there way to do this in Exchange 2003, or is there 3rd party app that will do this? Boy I miss Exchange 5.5!!! James jdduong@comcast.net when you create a recipient policy (mailbox-managed), you can set the age in days (i.e. 90 days) and size in KB for all items in the selected folder for which the policy applies t...

BCP Computed Column
Hi. I have a table with a computed column. When I try to import data into table through BCP it generates error due to computed column. So how to handle a computed column while importing data into table through bcp from a text file. Regards, Muhammad Bilal You need to use a format file that tells BCP to skip that column. See BOL for info on bcp format files. Tom "Muhammad Bilal" <MuhammadBilal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AD65421-C599-4773-B56F-24841FE05D5A@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have a table with a computed column...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

Where is the Delete Messages options?
I've looked and looked without success. I'm pretty sure I saw it before. Its where it asks you if you want to save a copy of messages on the server and then should give an option for it to be deleted from the server when you delete it from your Deleted folder in Outlook. That seems like a good way of syncing things. Gary Gary wrote: > I've looked and looked without success. I'm pretty sure I saw it before. > Its where it asks you if you want to save a copy of messages on the server > and then should give an option for it to be deleted from the...

Need better way to provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes
The exchange admins in my company have come up with a way for the sys admins to assign the user's mailbox store location. It's based off of last name. For example, if your last name starts with letter A, you go on Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store A, if your last name starts with letter B, you go on Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store B, if your last name starts with letter E, you go on Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store A, etc.... This is, I believe, and administrative nightmare. Is there a better way to provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes? If it works for you and them, then al...

Is there a way to see if someone is reading another persons e-mail
We think that someone in the company might be reading other peoples e-mail. Is there software or a tool that we can run to monitor and see if this is happening? Thanks Greg ...

Looking for Easiest Way to Create Report
We need to create a report from our accounting program which contains about 200 .db files. I have determined that the required information is contained in only 3 of those files. Out of those 3 files I need about 30 fields of data. The end result is that those 30 fields of data have to be placed into an existing excel spreadsheet in specific columns which has 97 total columns. For example one db file contains data which has to be placed into column c of the excel spreadsheet. another db file has data which has to be placed into column z of that same spreadsheet and so on Th...

Comparing Values In 2 Columns
Hi, i have 2 list of students names both of which are not up to date with each other and because of this one list has more students than the other. I want to search for students names and see if there is a match, if a match is found i need to copy the email address and paste it into the cell by the other name in the other list. See Below My spreadsheet has columns titled, (A)Display Name, (B)Display Email, (C)Sims Name and (D)Sims Email. I basically want to write a script that takes each individual display name in column A and searches in column C for an identical match, if a match is found i...

Delete 3 end row
Hi I want to delete three end row of any sheet. any sheet has different row number. Thank's for any help. your's Hi, This will clear the last 3 rows of the active sheet. Note I the on error line is to cope when there are less than 3 rows on the sheet Sub del_Last_3() Dim LastRow As Long On Error Resume Next LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:="*", _ SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _ SearchOrder:=xlRows).Row ActiveSheet.Rows(LastRow - 2 & ":" & LastRow).ClearContents End Sub -- Mike Whe...

Deleting a single character in a text field
In one of my tables i have a field that has a text values like '123.23123' i would like , to delete the full stop. How can i do this. I cant do it in excel as the number of records that i have is over 200000. hi, ma1000 wrote: > In one of my tables i have a field that has a text values like '123.23123' i > would like , to delete the full stop. How can i do this. I cant do it in > excel as the number of records that i have is over 200000. Create a update query, use Replace([yourField], ".", "") as new value. mfG --> stefan <-- ...

Easier way to grant mailbox rights to 100 mailboxes??
Consider the following scenario... Sally is a manager at a company. She wants to be able to monitor her staff's email usage. I want to be able to give her access without having to spend a bunch of time every time an employee is hired/moved/ fired/leaves. George is Sally's boss. George doesn't want Sally to have access to his mailbox other than what he delegates her access to. Originally, we just gave Sally full rights to the mailbox store, but as you probably know, that fails George's requirement. Is there an easy way to accomplish all this without a ton of administrative w...

Outlook won't let me delete e-mail
I'm using Outlook 2002. Every time I try to delete an item, it tells me "Errors have been detected in the file ...outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enable applications, then use the Inbox Repair Tool." So I go and use the Inbox Repair Tool, SCANPST. I scan outlook.pst (n errors come up), re-open Outlook, try to delete an item and get th same error message. Can someone help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Can you delete them if you hold shift-delet...

How can I compare the column names from 2 tables and output them?
I have a requirement to place an alert if the field does not exist in my table, tblStaging. Can any one guide me to reframe this query with error handling messages? I know it is not good practice to use select * but I need to do this as my columns\field names change each time. INSERT INTO tblStaging SELECT * FROM tbl_XL,tblDetails; Thank you -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/201003/1 Access is a relational database. If your "table design" has the fields in your table(s) changing frequently,...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Is there any way to convert a pdf document into an excel document.
Is there any way to convert a pdf file into an excel document? ...

outbox message will not send or delete
In outbox I have a file with a video clip in windows media. It will not send and I can not delete. Dialog box says outlook has already begun sending. thanks for any help ...

Customize global adress list column in a new mail
Hi! (I have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007). when i create a new mail message, hit the "To" button, my global adress list window appear when column by default: Name, Title, business Phone, Location, E-mail address, Company and Alias. Those column from Active directory of course. My question is: can I add/remove column in this window? For example adding "department" from Active directory? thx Since this is customized by your Exchange Admin, I would start by asking him/her if it is possible. This question can most likely be answered in an Exchange or W...

Two lines and pne column
I am trying to modify one of the custom charts to show two line and one column rather than two columns and one line. can anyone help. Ian - Forget the custom type. Make a chart with all three series as lines, select the one series, choose Chart Type from the Chart menu, and select the Column style you want. Voila, your first custom combination chart. There's more about Combination Charts on my web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ComboCharts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech....

Ways to view your tasks
Hi, Is it possible to view your tasks pane in your Inbox so that you don't have to keep switching between the two sceens of Mailbox & Inbox? Our company is running Outlook 2003 if it matters. Many thanks. -- Dave Mitch "Dave Mitch" <DaveMitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9093CC5-0C1F-4907-A308-DC58D1060571@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to view your tasks pane in your Inbox so that you don't have > to keep switching between the two sceens of Mailbox & Inbox? Not with Outlook 2003, but you can certainly have ...

What is the best way to Write this Formula
THank you to all that have helped and to who will help, i greatly appreciate it. Here is my question. I have four columns of data:b is OPEN, C is HIGH, D is LOW and D is CLOSE. I then wrote an =if(and)) statement with about six logical steps to come up with the words "BUY" and "SELL" in columns f and g respectfully. Then in column H I wrote a buy stop formula which is =if(f2="BUY",e2-6.00,""). Worked great got my new number now what I need to write is and this is the hard part IF at any time that the LOW(column d) from that period on until th...

One column into three
We have a table with about 40 columns and 120 Rows and we need to split each column into 3 columns only for certain rows - I'm guessing that we can't spilt a column only for certain rows as this would mess-up the entire column/row naming convention - so is there a way to automate the spliting of a column into 3 rows (i.e column A becomes A,B & C) and then merging each trio of cells (i.e. A1, B1, & C1) into one cell in the row and retaining the data that was in A1 and moving the data that was in B1 into D1 - for all 120 rows and then repeating the process for each colum...

Renaming Mailbox without deleting
I am having a problem renaming and exchange mailbox i do not want to remove it if i can help it but if there are no other options i will, On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:27:02 -0800, "Rickoakharbor" <Rickoakharbor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am having a problem renaming and exchange mailbox i do not want to remove >it if i can help it but if there are no other options i will, How are you attempting to rename the account? ...

Delete user in CRM 09-22-06
I have a user that ahve left. I have delete the user in the AD - but if I would like to delete the user in CRM I can´t seem to find the way to do this. I know how to actived and De-actived a user - but I would like to delete the user totally in CRM, how can this bee done besides going to the tables themselves to do it..there is not a supported way. To be honest, if you reassigned every record they own to someone else and then you deactivate them, there really is not a good reason to delete them. I understand it would be nice but since it is not possible it is just something th...

Is there any way to do this ?
I want to send email blasts via Microsoft CRM. Is there any way to find out who opened the emails and who deleted them so i can do some analytics ? Not that I know of... what you are referring to is generally considered more advanced email tracking than what Microsoft CRM offers out of the box. There are companies who have written add-on products that provide this sort of functionality such as c360 however, given the nature of this type of solution the cost of the add-on is usually an ongoing monthly or yearly fee (sometimes also charged per email). Hope that helps, Ozan. "TT&...